Blood pressure has risen, not dropped

I'm on my 2nd Whole 30, third attempt.  I completed one in June.  July has been hard!!!  Anyways, going for it again in August.  Now I restarted over sugar in coffee and I had one bread bowl at panera.

Yesterday my blood pressure sky rocketed.  I didn't even know it.  I just happened to stop by a friends house and noticed she had a blood pressure cuff out.  (She's a midwife) She took it for me and it was 168/109.  I'm still on my medicine and a few weeks ago it was stable.  Could this be eggs?  Cholesterol related from more meat in my diet?  Agggghhhhhh

• Moderators

What little I know about blood pressure is that a one-off out-of-whack reading doesn't tell you much. There can be practically infinite variables to give you that number including recent physical exertion, stress, salt intake, other nutrition, etc. To get an accurate picture you need to take it multiple times in perhaps multiple positions.

It's too soon to freak or come to an accurate conclusion.

• Moderators

The high blood pressure had nothing to do with eating eggs or meat. Eating foods that contain cholesterol has very little to do with the levels of cholesterol in your blood. Though doctors often propagate this particular myth, people with high cholesterol are making it in their livers, not eating it at breakfast, lunch, or dinner. 

There are lots of things that make your blood pressure spike, including exercise and coffee - I always make sure I have a super strong coffee before donating blood as otherwise my BP is low and I'm a slow bleeder :-)

I had been school shopping with the kids, stressful yes....but to have numbers that high was scary.  I took it again and it was 165/98 so the bottom was a bit better, but I still feel like I could pop off with a stroke any day.

I'm not diabetic and not obese....but my risk factors include: Migraines, pre-eclampsia with pregnancy, being overweight and family history.  I feel so doomed.  I'm taking baby aspirin just in case until I can get in to see my doctor :(

It's crazy 3 weeks ago we were talking about maybe going off my meds because my BP was perfect and actually low for me.

Maybe get yourself a blood pressure cuff and take it upon waking, mid day and at the end of the day. I tend to have higher readings at the docs office so I started doing this and it's always well within normal.  Suppose it's the white coat syndrome for me?  I had very significant issues with blood pressure during pregnancy as well. 

Try not to stress about it and obsess (easier said than done, I know) because that's certainly not going to help the numbers!  Being out and running around with errands and kids on a hot day can raise stress levels even if you don't realize it.  Just something to consider.

The last couple of days I've been having waves of what I think is high BP. I'm on BP Meds and have been stable for a long time. I'm starting my second week of the W30 so I am guessing that it could be from detoxing. Anyone have similar experiences?

The high blood pressure had nothing to do with eating eggs or meat. Eating foods that contain cholesterol has very little to do with the levels of cholesterol in your blood. Though doctors often propagate this particular myth, people with high cholesterol are making it in their livers, not eating it at breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

Tom, thank you so much for saying this! I am a nurse and learned this in nursing school over 25 years ago. It is amazing the number of people (doctors and nurses included) who believe that eating cholesterol will raise your cholesterol (only in the VERY few). I wish this information would be more widespread and available to the general public. It makes me crazy!

I had been school shopping with the kids, stressful yes....but to have numbers that high was scary.  I took it again and it was 165/98 so the bottom was a bit better, but I still feel like I could pop off with a stroke any day.

I'm not diabetic and not obese....but my risk factors include: Migraines, pre-eclampsia with pregnancy, being overweight and family history.  I feel so doomed.  I'm taking baby aspirin just in case until I can get in to see my doctor :(

It's crazy 3 weeks ago we were talking about maybe going off my meds because my BP was perfect and actually low for me.

Diamond_Doula, are you pregnant now? If so, you need to call your doctor or practitioner now. If not, I agree with the advice above regarding taking your BP several times a day at the same times each day (when waking, at lunch, at bedtime), in the same position (sitting or lying down), and in the same arm. If you continue to get high readings call your doctor. They will see you sooner rather than later. Or make a med change over the phone. Also, stay hydrated and how are you sleeping? Sounds like you had a stressful day.

Archived