Blended Green Smoothie for breakfast?

grmochamom

Hi there!

I am on Day 11 of the Whole30 and have started to feel better. By accident, I learned that I was actually doing the IF 14/10 for the last 10 days without realizing it. I go to bed around 9-10 pm, I sip on Bulletproof coffee throughout the morning and then begin eating aprox. 10-11 am.

My question is: Although I enjoy the coffee, I am not much of a daily coffee drinker and not really wanting to start a daily ritual of it. Wondering if I can do my blended green smoothies instead. I use water or coconut water as the base, then add all organic: romaine lettuce, baby spinach, celery, an apple, a pear (sometimes a bit of cilantro and parsley). I would like to get more veggies in my day as well as additional fiber where I can.

Also, to change it up every once in a while, wondering what other fruits, besides berries, that I can use that it lower glycemic and is ok with Whole30?

Also, I have adrenal fatigue and hypothryroidism, so I am not really active yet other than my daily walking at work and some added short walks when I feel spurts of energy come on. So I like to have my smoothie in the mornings, when I am the most active, to ensure the fructose in the fruit does not spike my blood sugar. (I am also Type2 diabetic), controlled now, no more meds.

oh, btw- I am also new to Paleo/Primal way of living. So I am a newbie to all this and just figuring it all out. I spent years on Weight Watchers following the conventional medical wisdom of my dr and eating fat free/low fat "mostly" processed foods to get the weight off and to "improve" my health. Now as I am getting older (46 and counting), other medical issues have befallen me. I am nowhere near conventional, but because there is a family history of heart disease and diabetes in the last 3 generations of my family (Hispanic blood), I refuse to end up on insulin "because that's just where I am supposed to end up" anyway! Hell To The NO!

Learning so much from this forum, so any advice for this newbie (especially the smoothie idea), would be greatly appreciated here.

:wub:

Water and fruits and veges are all ok - coconut water is out. Also, it's recommended that you don't drink your fruits and veges on whole 30, but I know some here do regularly and it's working ok.

I don't find myself satisfied with any kind of smoothies for very long, although I really miss my spinach smoothie in the mornings.

Thank you! I am still a bit confused about the coconut water as well. I choose to blend so I still get all the nutritional benefits of the whole fruit/veggie. I think I will wait until my whole30 is complete before I change my morning routine.

Grmochamom--have you read It Starts With Food? It's important to have a meal balanced with meat/protein, veggies, fat & maybe some fruit. The book also explains how it's important to eat real food (not to DRINK blended food) within 1hr of waking up b/c it encourages your cortosol levels to regulate.

I would recommend reading the book. And at the very least, have some eggs scrambled with some chicken & spinach in coconut oil. Add some fresh herbs to make it exciting & there's a simple and healthy breakfast! :)

Archived