August 4 Start Group

wvictoria

I have been waiting for this day for a long time. I've been prepping all summer--I had a very long Day Zero. My blog has a list of most of the things that I did to prep for this day, but, of course, as soon as I posted it I remembered other things. It just feels like I've been getting ready for today for forever! Here's a link to my blog: http://takingvickislifeback.blogspot.com/.

I am a 54 yr old high school English teacher who lives in the Philly suburbs, but my soul lives in Michigan--my home of 49 years. My boyfriend (what's a better word for that since it sounds silly to have a BF at 54) and I bought a house in October, and we are currently having a garage built. OMG, what a pain dealing with the township on all this. But I digress...did I mention I have ADD problems? I have a beautiful daughter who gave me two amazing little grand humans. They live in northern Illinois--boo. I also have a handsome son who I am very proud of--I can't believe my little boy bids on billion dollar contracts on a daily basis--who lives in Michigan.

I am prepared for this first week to be difficult. Luckily I don't go back to school until next week, so I will have some time to get everything figured out before I have to actually pack my meals.

Good luck to all the other 8/4s out there!

Vicki

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! Wishing you good luck on your W30 from a fellow Pennsylvanian (and 50+ yr old woman). I read with awe how prepared you are for this and I think your transition will be smooth because of it. I am now living life after W30 and have a whole new way of looking at food and am amazed how my relationship with it has changed. I have continued this way about 90% of the time and now I know what to do if I go too far off course. It's amazing what we can do if we put our minds to it.

At the beginning it was time consuming and there was definitely a learning curve, but soon you will get into a flow and find your go-to meals don't take any time at all...........I could go on and on about what I learned but will end by saying: it's worth it!! All the best to you!

Looking forward to following along!

Starting my second Whole30 today! I felt great after completing my first at the end of June. I've found that these forums can provide a lot of support, especially during the first week, that in my experience was most difficult. Good luck to everyone starting today!

Here's another woman in her 50s. First Whole 30. I started yesterday but hope I can jump in here here. Have previously eliminated many of the foods not allowed on W30, but now a few more I have had to give up (rice, dried fruit/Lara bars, white potatoes, etc). I don't have to drastically alter my diet as much as some starters though since I already was mostly gluten-, sugar- and dairy-free. Although not perfect and that's why I am committed to Whole 30!

I'm in! Just finished my first Whole30 meal (cold brew coffee, egg bake, banana).

Today's my first day on my first W30. At home, my bf is doing the program with me.

Admittedly, we went to Vegas this weekend and ate like buttheads, so I'm happy/relieved to have clean, whole foods in my lunch today.

Hi there! I'm starting today too!  :)

I'm Beli, 36 years old, mom of two boys. I live in Chile and I work as a sommelier.

I've been eating mostly paleo for almost two years now, with great results. And I -almost- completed a Whole30 last January. It was great on the one hand, but I had some issues on the other.

I recently figured out I'm probably hypothyroid, so autoimmunity is a possibility. That's why this time around I decided to do the AIP. 

Good luck everyone! And I agree, this forum is invaluable for support, so I see you here! Have a nice first day!  :)

I'm starting today too!  My daughter started on Friday and I promised I would do it with her.  I'm a 53 year old woman living in NY.  My husband and I are and have always been dedicated to eating healthy food so most of what we cook and eat fits nicely into the program, it's just the leaving out of grains and dairy that will be a change.  That and my almost daily wine consumption.  I really think that will be the hardest part.  

I actually enjoyed my coffee sans milk this morning.  It was good!  

My husband has said he will support me and I've posted the rules for him.  He does most of the cooking so this will be a challenge for him to avoid grains especially.  

I weighed myself one last time this morning and then put the scale away.   

Let's do this!

I'm starting today too, as is one co-worker who I've enlisted to be my support system! This is my second attempt, and I have set myself up for nothing but success. First try I made it 19 days, but then life happened and I gave in. This time I will not fail! I'm so excited for the next 30 days! 

Here's some things I learned/advice after successfully completing my first Whole30 at the end of June:

Make your own mayonnaise.  I use my Ninja blender and add fresh herbs in as I make it-usually parsley and chives.  I use the mayo to make tuna salad and add a little more lemon juice to it to make "ranch" dressing. 

The first week seems like it drags on forever, but soon you will be able to go through the day without being controlled by food. 

Trader Joe's and Costco have some really good W30 staples I like-Ghee and almond flour from TJ's seems to be a lot cheaper than it at my local Kroger.  I also like to pick up canned tuna, canned salmon, and natural black olives from Costco. 

I follow Whole30 on a pretty tight budget, so it can be done. 

Exercise became easier for me when I lost that constant bloated feeling I get from eating grains. 

Added bonus- I lost around 10 lbs on my first Whole30!

I'm starting today too! I'm looking forward to going through the transformation with all of you! I enjoyed reading your blog, Vicki! It looks like you did a great job preparing.  I just learned about Whole30 two days ago, and I'm hoping my lack of preparation doesn't bite me too hard.

Looking forward,

Tuni

Hi everyone!

I'm a high school teacher in the Philly burbs too! (33yo mother of 2 boys 4.5 & almost 2)

I've done a year of paleo with 3 Whole30s and I just got back from 3 weeks in Italy where it was quite difficult to stay the paleo course since much of the time we were eating at friends' and family's homes. I've been pretty much back to paleo since last Thursday, but I think I haven't been completely W30 compliant, so today will be my official w30 start. I've been nauseous and tired the last few days and I'm chalking it up to the "hangover" of being jetlagged combined with ridding my body of grains and sugar. Also, don't think I've been eating enough at lunch.

Over the last year of staying paleo and W30 I lost about 80lbs and gained control over food, but I'm amazed at how just less than 2 weeks of eating off plan brought my dragons back with a vengeance. Over the past year, if I went off plan it was one meal or one item, never more than a day and it was easy to get back on track. Now I'm definitely paying for all the pasta, bread and gelato consumed in Italy. I didn't gain any pounds on my trip but did gain visible bloat in my belly. Goes to show that the scale doesn't always give you an accurate read.

Anyway, I'm glad to have an August 4th group to chat with! I started the June 1st support thread and I loved having the support and recognizing the same names in the forum.

Here is my "success story" with pictures if you're curious to hear more about my experience over the last year:

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/20213-living-whole-for-a-whole-year/

Congratulations to everyone for taking the first step!

CharDoll, your story is amazing! What a great success! Good for you and thank you for the inspiration!

I too especially liked the quote at the end of your story. “I already know what giving up feels like. I want to see what happens if I don’t.” This should be my motto for this month, because my biggest challenge is not giving up.  :unsure: I had wine 25 days into my first Whole30 last January, just because I had some family over and couldn't refrain. I wanted to kill myself afterwards. Self-discipline is a gift you make to yourself, it's loving yourself enough to make the effort for you...

So listen, fellows Whole30-iers! The first day is easy with all the resolution but harder days come, even (especially) for old-timers. I'd love you all to feel free to come here say help when you feel tempted to cave in, and I'd love you to reason me out of falling off the wagon if (when) I lose sight of my intentions.  :)

Here's another woman in her 50s. First Whole 30. I started yesterday but hope I can jump in here here. Have previously eliminated many of the foods not allowed on W30, but now a few more I have had to give up (rice, dried fruit/Lara bars, white potatoes, etc). I don't have to drastically alter my diet as much as some starters though since I already was mostly gluten-, sugar- and dairy-free. Although not perfect and that's why I am committed to Whole 30!

Hi Pamela! They just altered the rules slightly to include all potatoes. Read more here: http://whole30.com/2014/07/new-whole30/

Personally, I will still be sticking mostly to sweet potatoes, but this makes eating out a little easier. :-)

Hi All! I also am starting today. I thought I was starting yesterday. However, the delicious just picked from the tree peaches that I ate before I even realized it (they were amazing!), made me realize that my start is today. So far, so good.

I too live in the Phila burbs. I am 57 with 4 boys. My youngest is 16. The oldest died as a result of a car accident several years ago. He gave me 3 beautiful granddaughters. I've had many challenges in my life. All of which I believe are placed in my life to make me a stronger, more amazing woman!

I've always lived a fairly healthy life. However, I have fibro, arthritis, and some intestinal issues. Inflammation in my body has to go. Also definite short term memory problems which I believe are a direct result of the sugar and other toxic items that I have been eating over the past few years.

Five years ago, I cut all sugar from my diet and kept it off (except I was occasionally using agave). I was eating some grains like quinoa and steel cut oats, no dairy except the occasional butter. It was a candida- controlled diet. This was important because 10 yrs ago I had a severe case of Lymes and was placed on IV antibiotics for over 3 months. After about 3 months, I felt pretty good. After a year on this diet, I had lost 25 lbs and was feeling the best I had in over 10 years.

Unfortunately, I gradually moved away from not eating sugar and am not feeling as good as I know I should and can. Too many aches and numerous pains in knees, neck, low back fingers, etc.. About three months ago, I began eating a primarily paleo diet. Its time to get serious and do it right! So here I am... very excited to work on myself and my health. Time doesn't' wait for anyone and there's no time like the present.

We can do this! I am excited to be sharing this journey with all of you. Thank you in advance for the advice, encouragement, and assistance I know we will receive here. I am so glad I found this and all of you!

Yay for the great state of PA. :-)

Welcome Megavoltz. So sorry to hear of your loss. The stress of that can contribute to your health as well. I'm so curious to see how the Whole 30 helps with all of the other things you mentioned. Good luck!

CharDoll, your story is amazing! What a great success! Good for you and thank you for the inspiration!

I too especially liked the quote at the end of your story. “I already know what giving up feels like. I want to see what happens if I don’t.” This should be my motto for this month, because my biggest challenge is not giving up.  :unsure: I had wine 25 days into my first Whole30 last January, just because I had some family over and couldn't refrain. I wanted to kill myself afterwards. Self-discipline is a gift you make to yourself, it's loving yourself enough to make the effort for you...

So listen, fellows Whole30-iers! The first day is easy with all the resolution but harder days come, even (especially) for old-timers. I'd love you all to feel free to come here say help when you feel tempted to cave in, and I'd love you to reason me out of falling off the wagon if (when) I lose sight of my intentions.  :)

That happened to me too! 23 days in and chose to have wine! This time I need to stay strong!

So exciting to see so many of us on the same journey at the same time, and way to represent Philly! How'd everyone do on their Day 1? Are you subscribed to the email? Did you get to click the link at the bottom? THAT was an accomplishment!

Okay, I know that every day will not be this good, in fact, today wasn't even that great. I didn't have any slipups or anything, but I did get hungry after every meal. I don't know what what's happening with that. I made huge meals that I couldn't even get through because they filled me up so much, and then an hour later I felt hungry.

I am glad that #1 I cooked a bunch of meat yesterday so it made it easier to throw things together today, and #2 that I have this week off still before school starts so I can have time to figure things out. My daughter started today, too, and she had a rough time tonight trying to make a difficult recipe after all day at work and feeling "hangry" while preparing it.

Congratulations on finishing Day 1, everyone! Enjoy that Rock Star feeling. According to the timeline, it's going to get worse before it gets better. The next 2 days are the Hangover stage. the amount of suck you experience in this phase is directly proportional to the amount of crap you consumed before you began the program. - See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/#sthash.3kROlLih.dpuf Since I binged pretty badly on vacation before I started Whole30, I'm expecting a rocky couple of days. Here goes...!

vicki

I'm officially starting tomorrow, but I actually started today.  I know....kinda weird.....looking forward to just getting in control of what I put into my body.  I'm thinking I'm going to be checking this forum a lot for tips and support.  I have struggled with weight all my life, and I think I'm finally at a place (at 57, arghhhhh), I just want to be good to my body.  All in all, it's been good to me.  Here's to an eye-opening 30 days!!!

Hi all,

I'm Summer and this is my first whole30. I'm 41 and live in the beautiful coastal mountains of southern California. My husband and I have eight children between the ages of nearly 1 and nearly 16. I've found the weight much harder to shed after this last pregnancy and the energy even harder to find. We've been dabbling in paleo since the 2 year old was found to be sensitive to gluten, but without any real commitment. I really need this commitment to help, hopefully, get myself back on the road to health and vitality. Truly, this is about being a good mom to all these wonderful gifts. Well, and fitting back into my pre-prenancy clothes. If this somehow helps the baby sleep through the night, that would be an added bonus! ^_^

I guess I should have introduced myself in my previous post.  My name is Norma and I live in Northern California.  I live alone so I don't have to worry about tempting foods that belong to someone else.  I have a daughter, but she is married and living about 4 hours away.  I am going to try to talk her into doing this with me.  I did a 28 day cleanse about 2 years ago and decided to go gluten free, so that part isn't too hard for me.  I had some medical issues last year and with the stress of it all, I put on about 40 lbs.  Yikes!!!  While going through these medical issues, I talked to quite a few people who have turned major diagnoses around through changing their diet.  I mean, I'm talking stage 4 breast cancer.  It just makes sense that we get out what we put in!!

There's a very interesting online "summit" just beginning today: The Detox Summit. I heard of it through the Whole9 blog.

I just listened to dr Jeffrey Bland's and dr Mark Hyman's presentations. Awesome! And very enlightening about the precise process we are going to go through.

For instance, dr Bland says you don't have to suffer so much "healing crisis" and that's rather a sign that your detoxing pathways don't have all the nutrition they need, like glutathione.

This presentation will only be available until 10 AM Eastern Time tomorrow. Then others will take its place.

The link is http://thedetoxsummit.com

There's a very interesting online "summit" just beginning today: The Detox Summit. I heard of it through the Whole9 blog.

I just listened to dr Jeffrey Bland's and dr Mark Hyman's presentations. Awesome! And very enlightening about the precise process we are going to go through.

For instance, dr Bland says you don't have to suffer so much "healing crisis" and that's rather a sign that your detoxing pathways don't have all the nutrition they need, like glutathione.

This presentation will only be available until 10 AM Eastern Time tomorrow. Then others will take its place.

The link is http://thedetoxsummit.com

thanks for sharing. Going to.follow the summit too.

Hi Everyone, Today was Day one for me on my round two of whole 30. I didn't make it the whole 30 days and I was very disapointed in myself. This time I will make the 30 days. I've had alot of changes in my life recently and it's time to focus on me. I'm also started a running program so I'm excited to see the results.

Archived