August 4 Start Group

wvictoria

For those with sleep issues. I too used to. And it seemed to increase when I started whole30. I'd fall dead asleep about 9pm and wake up at 11 and be awake til 2 or 3 and have to be up at 6.

Previous to whole30 I was taking ambien, I hated it. I'd do things I couldn't remember and I'd wake up feeling off. But it helped me sleep so good. I have wanted to stop taking it for a long time but I couldn't sleep, no matter how many herbal supplements and teas I had.

Anyway, I read in the book about a magnesium supplement called calm. So when I was a little over a week into whole30, I ordered some. The reviews were all positive. I was dubious but I took some anyway. Guys, I slept the sleep of the gods! I woke up feeling so rested. I had only woken once to use the bathroom but fell right back to sleep.

Please give it a try (it also helps if you are constipated. If you're not, make sure you take the lower dose)

I no longer have to use ambien, or melatonin, or anything else. It really does work guys.

Also, I learned from Mark Sisson's book about using amber colored glasses in the evening to filter out the blue waves in the lights that affect our natural melatonin production (the stuff that makes us sleepy). I bought some and also wear them around the house in the evening when I have to put my lights on. I look a bit silly but it really does help you to unwind.

Either of these may help you, if your sleep problems were extreme like mine u may want to use both. I hope you give it a try.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

trimhealthymom I used to take that magnesium supplement (at least I think it's the same one) called Nature Calm.  Comes in a powder that you mix with water into a drink.  It tastes good but it does contain sweetner (the container I have at work shows organic stevia on the label) and I was under the impression that artificial sweetners of any kind were off limits on Whole30 which is why I have not been taking my Nature Calm.  I wonder if it would help my sleep.  I used to take it almost daily and never noticed a difference with my sleep but of course there were multiple other things that were probably keeping me up at night, alcohol and caffeine being the main culprits.  

Makes me wonder what Nature Calm would do for me now since I've been eating clean for 2 weeks.  

Julzology.

I think it's the same one. The one I have is original so it is unflavored. I followed a link from somewhere on the site which took me to amazon. It is called natural calm by natural vitality.

Did you have a flavored version? The only ingredients in the one I have is Ionic Magnesium citrate.

Also, I recommend

For those with sleep issues. . .  using amber colored glasses in the evening to filter out the blue waves in the lights that affect our natural melatonin production (the stuff that makes us sleepy). I bought some and also wear them around the house in the evening when I have to put my lights on. I look a bit silly but it really does help you to unwind.

Either of these may help you, if your sleep problems were extreme like mine u may want to use both. I hope you give it a try.

I'd also like to recommend f.lux - it's a tiny program that runs in the background of your computer (Windows, Mac, or Linux) that adjusts the tint of your display as the sun sets. It does that "amber color" thing trimhealthymom talks about. In their words, f.lux makes the computer screen match your inside lights. 

I've had it installed for years, and I've found that a) it does ease the eye strain in the evening, and B) it's a good little visual reminder that maybe it's time to get off the computer for the night. :D

ragbaby- it's definitely worth it even if you are drinking the soya. You clearly inderstand the rules of the program, and if you can't be perfect for medical reasons, then so be it. I agree wih whoever said that the good you are doing to your body is definitely outweighing the bad. It's not like you're doing this because you're caving to temptation. If it were a loaf if bread or hunk of chocolate, that would be a different story. No, technically it's not whole30 compliant, but if it were a prescription medication you were taking, there would be an exception. I would say research alternatives, but for now, if this is what works then continue, and stay the course with the rest of your diet. No one here is going to write you off and we want you to stay with us!

Good Morning! 

Funny thing happened this morning.  I poured my coffee and went straight for the fridge and stood there for a couple of seconds staring at the half and half container before I remembered that I don't put that in my coffee any more.  At least not for another couple of weeks. 

I am not sleeping through the night but I am waking up less often.  I'm finding that I wake up once around 1:00 and then I sleep almost until the alarm goes off.  This morning I woke up 5 minutes before my alarm (which is always so annoying to be robbed of those last 5 minutes).  

Day 16, 53.3333% of the way finished.  That's 366.27 hours completed as of this writing (and assuming my early morning math is OK) 

We're on our way down the other side of the mountain.  Let's do this!

I am on day five, thought I'd read a thread of those ahead of me, I'm sorry so many of you aren't feeling the love! Or at least feeling still it's quite hard. I am feeling miserable and like I want to quit, I'm discouraged the next 10 days might feel the same.

Day 16, 53.3333% of the way finished. That's 366.27 hours completed as of this writing (and assuming my early morning math is OK)

We're on our way down the other side of the mountain. Let's do this!

Are you missing anything so far? Is there anything you are really looking forward to on day 31?

For me it's just drink, nothing else is bothering me. I think the summer holidays don't help - normally I wouldn't consider a pint at lunchtime during the week :-)

Yes! Wine!!! I am so looking forward to day 31 to have a glass of red wine! The rest I could take or leave without much trouble so I think I will leave it and keep earing this way. Wine has definitely been a sacrifice though.

Day 15, I'm still wondering if it's worth it. I posted about my doubts on the troubleshooting thread and it was suggested I write down a list of what I eat in a day. I have half a cup of soya milk a day because if I don't it seriously messes with my hormones and I get hot flushes that keep me up at night - remember my primary goal here is to sort my sleeping out.

So the reply from the mod on the troubleshooting thread is that I'm going off plan. I'm pissed off, soya is a medicine to me, it works. I've tried going without and it makes my perimenopausal symptoms much much worse. So I feel like I've been written off because I'm doing something off plan.

Ragbaby, I know others have said the same, but I hope you you continue, strong in the knowledge that you know what's best for your body. I am inspired by your posts and glad we are sharing this journey as a team!

My trip is going well so far. I got to town 30 minutes before the whole foods closed and stocked up on tons a veggies and some compliant roast beef. That has been my savior. Thankfully, I do have a fridge, but no microwave so I'm having to be creative about my protein. I'm glad I stocked up on Epic bars and Nicks Sticks. It feels like a security blanket in case things get dicey haha.

Dinner out tonight at a sports bar/grill. I'm not worried about making bad choices, just about it being awkward. I guess I will survive either way.

I hope you all are having a great week!

Day 16 and feeling good.  The one thing i keep craving is chocolate.  I also love wine but i think I will save those two things for last because i already know they are NO-NOs and no matter how i feel after eating them, they aren't good food choices.  so i'm saving those for my "it's worth it" list.  my husband and i talked about what we wanted to reintroduce first.  he said bread and i said dairy.  i love cheese.  he will sometimes eat like 3 tortillas or slices of bread with his dinner.  (then he rolls around going "oooooo...OOOOOO...ooooo..."  I love bread only if it is good quality bread, fresh baked (esp sourdough with good butter or brie).  otherwise, i can take it or leave it.  if it is there, i will eat it though.  so i think on day 31 we will reintroduce grains, then the next re-intro day, dairy, then legumes, and neither of us care about soy and he avoids soy altogether (he's afraid of man boobs) so we wont bother with that one.  THEN WINE AND CHOCOLATE (aka sugar).  

My husband is allergic to EVERYTHING....literally.  he got allergy tested and was allergic to EVERYTHING they tested him for (mostly environmental allergens).  so i wouldn't be surprised if he has some pretty severe reactions to the reintroduction process.  i, on the other hand, feel like i tolerate all food groups well.  if i were to guess, i'd say i might have an issue with grains.  sometimes, i swear they make my nose run if i eat too much.  does this happen to anyone else?  also, too much sugar makes me nauseous because i have had gastric bypass and most people with that surgery have an adverse reaction to sugar.  it's called "the dumping syndrome."  it usually causes diarhhea but for me it just causes nausea.  

i just wanted to pop in.  see how everyone was doing.  glad to have you guys on my side!!  

Dinner out tonight at a sports bar/grill. I'm not worried about making bad choices, just about it being awkward. I guess I will survive either way.

The thing that's most annoying for me is having to explain to everyone.  it's awkward because they make it awkward.  i will just be sitting and socializing and having a good time, and people apologize constantly that there isn't anything for me to eat.  i just keep telling them, "i'm not here to eat, i'm here to visit with friends."  if i were that worried about the food, i wouldn't go.  

The thing that's most annoying for me is having to explain to everyone.  it's awkward because they make it awkward.  i will just be sitting and socializing and having a good time, and people apologize constantly that there isn't anything for me to eat.  i just keep telling them, "i'm not here to eat, i'm here to visit with friends."  if i were that worried about the food, i wouldn't go.  

I guess I've been lucky.  While eating out with friends, I didn't have to explain a thing.  I ordered what I wanted, spoiled myself with Pellegrino, and didn't talk to anyone about what I couldn't eat.  

With the significant other it's a different story.  He knowingly offers me things I can't eat.  Fortunately I'm not even tempted.  He'll say something like "sorry that you can't have it", and I explain that "no, I really don't want it."  And I don't.

I had family visiting this weekend.  I took them to the candy store, an amazing fresh doughnut shop, and even out for frozen custard.  I stayed my ground. It's a little easier when everyone knows what you're doing - I'd feel weak if I caved in front of them. 

I felt a bit guilty when I realized I was gorging them on sweets as a vicarious indulgence for myself.  Evil. 

Apparently, if you put your stems from your baby bok choy in water, they start growing a new baby bok choy. post-50304-0-40436500-1408482692_thumb.j

I remember a friend teaching me to batter eggplant with whipped egg whites and fry it.  He thought it was funny that I liked them so much - he said that it was the food of the poor in his country. 

So I tried it today. 

post-50304-0-44665700-1408482271_thumb.j

I realize why they usually sprinkle flour on them before dipping in the egg - helps it stick.  But no big - it still cooked fine. I also decided that next time, I will use a big eggplant.  The "Japanese" one made cute small bites, but they were a pain to flip. 

Toodles!

post-50304-0-44665700-1408482271_thumb.j

post-50304-0-40436500-1408482692_thumb.j

So I see from my earlier responses to your posts that I'm not very good at posting with my mobile phone. I guess I will have to content myself with reading your messages.  I want you all to know that I'm am inspired and comforted by the things you share. I'm so happy to be sharing this journey with such a positive and open group of people.

Dinner tonight went well.  It was awkward, but I survived it. I didn't comment or explain, I just smiled when others commented on the dry grilled steak and steamed vegetable request. The topic was quickly dropped and I was relieved. As it was my boss, and other people with some influence on my professional future, I just didn't think it was the time to go into the whole elimination diet, or Whole30 explanation. If it were friends, I'm sure I would have handled it differently.  They already thought I was a little quirky, so I'll just let this one ride.  My work speaks for itself (I hope :blink:). The person sitting next to me ordered my go-to wine - The Show Malbec. I could smell it all through dinner. I was kind of surprised that I didn't really want it.  I mean, when the waitress brought it to the table, and I caught the first sniff of it, there was a moment of longing. And then.... it passed. And it didn't come back. Tonight, I actually had the (fleeting) thought that maybe I wouldn't have wine on day 31. Silly brain, of course I will.  I think. I'm interested to see how I feel about all this in two more weeks.

I was pretty worn out after dinner, and had to deal with some drama back home, so I didn't go to the store to restock.  It looks like I'll be having Nick's Sticks, nuts, and cucumber for breakfast. I'll have to deal with lunch on the fly. I'm kind of amazed at how fast I go through vegetables. I really thought I'd bought enough to last me through Wednesday. I'm also amazed at how good it all tastes. I can honestly say that I didn't think I would ever get excited about how sweet a red bell pepper tastes. It's AWESOME!

Wishing well to you all...

Day 17.

Are any of you enjoying this? I'm so so so fed up of cooking and I'm even more fed up of reading every label.

If I had some sort of trade off, like more energy or better skin it would seem worth the hassle.

Not going to quit, just having a moan about it all.

Hang in there, you guys are all doing great!

If anyone is still feeling blocked up, drink plenty of water, add some more fat as well as a magnesium supplement, that should get you sorted. If you have it before bed, it'll usually all be unblocked by morning. Also make sure you add some salt to your food, without all the processed junk, our salt intake drops quite a lot.

I highly recommend the MTHFR test, I have two MTHFR genes and still learning how to balance it. B12 supplements were a revelation!

It's also really good to keep a food log, then if you have any off days, you know exactly why. This is very valuable with reintroduction. Dairy makes me sick, but around two weeks after I eat it, it seems to compromise my immune system.

Archived