August 4 Start Group

wvictoria

@ ragbaby - Enjoying it? Hmmm. That's not the way I would describe it! Hahaha!  Enjoying Tiger Blood? No, not yet, but still hopeful. Clearer skin? Nope. Better sleep? A little. Feeling physically healthier? Maybe a little. Enjoying all the extra energy spent on food preparation, label reading, time eating? Nope, definitely not.

Having said all that, I do feel that I am learning every day, and beginning to build new skills (cooking) and habits (healthier food choices) that will make eating healthy in the future much much easier.  I think any significant behavioral change is difficult and a little miserable. In the case of Whole30, for me, I think it's very much worth the effort. The positives that I am getting already include a sense of self-control and discipline, a sense of getting back on the "right" path, and a pretty solid feeling of accomplishment. I'm very happy to discover that I do have the ability to pass on the less healthy things that had become a habit in my life (sugar, alcohol, breads, etc.) and have it not be too big of a deal. I also trust those who have gone before me who have assured me that the effects of 4+ decades of poor eating habits can be turned around, but maybe not in 17 days. It may take me the full 30 days, or even a little longer. I am thoroughly enjoying, even loving, that sense of hope.

@ praxisproject I second your recommendation of magnesium. After the morning email that recommended Natural Calm, I found some at my local Whole Foods, and bought several packets. It's like magic. I have never been, ahem, regular. Now I am! I haven't noticed that it makes a big difference in my sleep, but it's definitely not hurting it, and I am sleeping a little better in general.  I bought the packets, and find that one every other night is perfect for me. I will probably buy the container of loose powder next time so I can use a smaller portion every night.

What is MTHFR? In what ways do you find the B's help it? What form are you taking the B's? I was getting monthly injections for a while, and it seemed to really help my energy level.  The injections really burned though (I'm such a baby) and so have deterred my from continuing them the past several months.

@ Josephine  I love the food pictures! That eggplant looks so yummy! I'm not a fan of eggplant in general, but I think I'll have to give that a try. I have some growing in my garden right now.  I'm also impressed with your ability to not be tempted by all those, well, temptations! Although I've been surprised how little I've been tempted, I think I'd be a little worried about being that close to so many yummy things.  Good on you!

@ julzology  I'm looking forward to today's percentage. It's the first thing I'll look for tonight!

Have a great day everyone!

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realize why they usually sprinkle flour on them before dipping in the egg - helps it stick.  But no big - it still cooked fine. I also decided that next time, I will use a big eggplant.  The "Japanese" one made cute small bites, but they were a pain to flip. 

They look lovely, when I've made fishfingers the dipping order is flour, egg, breadcrumbs so I wonder if something powdery would help the egg stick - coconut flour might work? then you could dip it back in that instead of into breadcrumbs.

MTHFR is a gene which relates to the methylation cycle: http://www.mthfrsupport.com.au/what-is-mthfr/ (this link has a really good picture which shows the cycle). There's a simple test for it, but many doctors don't think of it, some don't even know what it is.

The bottom line is, I can eat like a normal person, but my body can't do some basic functions properly, converting consumed food into usable forms for the body, so my blood tests show "normal" vitamin levels, but the reality is my body can't use them. Working with my naturopath, supplements that have made a big difference so far: Vitamin K2, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, folate (not folic acid), zinc, B12.

Tests I had done showed issues with cleaning up homocysteine (the body should be able to do this naturally) and general abnormalities in cellular function (skin failing to regenerate, etc).

Folate is Vitamin B9 and is not the same as folic acid. (Folic acid is synthetic and is not found in nature. It must undergo various transformations to utilisation.)

• Folate is required for the following:
  • Synthesis of DNA, RNA and SAMe. Proper cellular function is critical for our good health.
  • Single carbon metabolism or methylation. Various critical reactions in the body require the donation of methyl groups to become active.
  • Amino acid metabolism (for neurotransmitter, serotonin, dopamine and norepinephrine production and detoxification).
  • Formation and maturation of RBC (red blood cells), WBC (white blood cells) and platelet production.
  • Essential for detoxification of homocysteine.

Guess who woke up irritated with the world today? ME. Maybe my days of bliss are over, haha. Fortunately, my good humor reasserted itself, and I'll be over it soon.

I am having a big problem waking up in the mornings. My alarm goes off, I hit snooze (which I never do) and I am dead to the world for another two hours at least. I'm thinking I may have to beg off from my friend duties of nagging her to go to bed. That one hour difference between Central (her time zone) and Eastern (mine) may be having more of an impact now than it was pre-Whole30.

I actually called in late to work today, is how bad it was. I didn't wake up until almost 9am. That's when I need to be LEAVING THE HOUSE, not slowly rolling out of bed.

@ragbaby: I wouldn't say "enjoying" as much as I'm glad I'm doing it, and I'm hopeful it will result in less or no HTN/HCL medicine for me in the future. I'm enjoying cooking more than I ever have before, mostly because it's so simple and easy (I insist on it being simple and easy).

Wow, I love all the information in this forum.  It's helping me get prepared for an upcoming vacation. 

Sometimes I feel like a voyeur, reading everyone's posts but not participating, but regardless I'm getting a heck of a lot of info and I thank you all for that. 

So far, I'm finding that I am sleeping better.  I wake up, but I'm going right back to sleep. 

I don't know if this has anything to do with what we're doing, but last Sunday when I decided to cook all day to prepare for the week, I sliced the top of my finger on a mandolin.  It was still bleeding the next day.  Anyway, today it's sore, but it looks almost healed on the outside.  I usually don't heal that fast.  I'm just thinking....with the immune system getting pumped up and all.......

The tiger blood ebbs and flows.  I'm hopeful that it will soon just flow. 

Tuni, I so relate to your post about feeling good about the positive behavioral changes.  Sometimes I feel like when my eating is out of control, it generalizes to other areas of my life.  This makes me feel like if I can do this, I can certainly push the boundaries in other areas of my life. 

Day 17 and finally I can do things. I got 8 hours sleep with a gap in the middle but didn't wake up exhausted for once. And I managed to get some of my DIY project done without needing frequent rests or a nap. It's not tigers blood but it's great to be able to function again.

Happy day 17 everyone!  i feel pretty great today but i think i need to make my meals a little bigger.  i'm spending long days at work with long stretches in between meals so i'm getting hungry, especially right before i go home.  and when i get home, all i want to do is hold my boy, but then, all i want to do is eat.  and i feel more hungry because i'm not compromising on time for loves.  

i LOVE LOVE LOVE to cook so the extra cooking is like therapy to me.  i work a very hectic schedule and it can sometimes get really stressful so i welcome the cooking.  i just wish i had like 4-5 more hours in the day lol!  all of the football coaches at work keep asking me about bringing them treats and i have to just keep brushing them off.  i look forward to being able to experiment with some paleo treats on the weekends to bring to work with me.  i love to bake and typically will bake and have one or two of whatever i make and then bring the rest to work.  it's a good way to make friends.  haha.  

sleeping hasnt been better for me per se because i have an infant who is up at least 2 times in the night, but i already expect that.  what is better is that when i get u p in the morning, i'm not rubbibng my eyes and yawning for 2 hours after.  i've been much more chipper and awake.  

Day 17.

Are any of you enjoying this? I'm so so so fed up of cooking and I'm even more fed up of reading every label.

If I had some sort of trade off, like more energy or better skin it would seem worth the hassle.

Not going to quit, just having a moan about it all.

i'm not enjoying the fact that i can't have certain things and i have to really plan ahead for everything, but i AM enjoying a sense of accomplishment.  i feel like this has been a good kickstart to the way life should look most of the time.  i take comfort in the fact that i will have my free will back soon.  and that includes the freedom to choose to eat healthy going forward.  

W This makes me feel like if I can do this, I can certainly push the boundaries in other areas of my life. 

i agree!!  i feel like this year is going to be a great one if i can keep my mind positive.  

also, i've been very tempted to step on the scale because i feel like i have definitely lost weight, however; i feel as though the number might discourage me from continuing if it's not good, and i don't want the number on the scale to keep me from completing this process.  so i'm fighting the very strong urge to weigh myself.  i have a certified scale right here in my office.  maybe i will go buy myself a nice scale for at home to use on day 31.  

amnblack ~ I know what you mean!!!  I'm afraid to get on the scale.  Clothes are fitting me better, but the scale has the ability to affect my mood!!!  Either way.  I'm not willing to take the risk right now. 

Is today day 17 or 18....I'm losing count.  OK, checked the calendar, it's day #17.  That's 56.66667% of the way completed.  

Damn if this second half doesn't seem to be traveling in slow motion for me.  Slow motion.  Damn. 

Hanging on but just barely.  I keep telling myself, 17 days, really, is that all you got?  I must go the distance.  

I'm really late in introducing myself to the group, but I also started on August 4. It has been great! I've loved expanding my taste for different veggies and fruits. I've definitely had the tiger blood and energy spurts which were fantastic. I've also had some vivid food dreams, but have made it through all my cravings. But, I've been feeling pretty groggy and weak over the past two days. I've analyzed everything I ate over the past couple of days and don't believe I've had any slips. Going to try to get an extra hour of sleep tonight to see if that helps. Anyone else having this problem?

But, I've been feeling pretty groggy and weak over the past two days. I've analyzed everything I ate over the past couple of days and don't believe I've had any slips. Going to try to get an extra hour of sleep tonight to see if that helps. Anyone else having this problem?

@wedegart45, I was really tired yesterday after I got home from work - I actually fell asleep for 2 hours between 5:30 and 7:30!! So you are not alone!

Day 18 I'm wiped out. I feel as bad as I used to when I was eating bread and drinking beer. I had 8 hours sleep last night, and the night before.

Yesterday I managed to get things done without it feeling like a struggle, today, it's all been really hard work.

This same thing is happening to me too!!! I couldn't get out of bed this morning and I had almost 10 hours of sleep last night. I've been trying to figure out if its something I've eaten, but everything is compliant and pretty much the same food I've been consuming all along. I'm hoping that this is just a late stage detox or something. Its very discouraging. I was feeling so much better last week, and now this  :(

This same thing is happening to me too!!! I couldn't get out of bed this morning and I had almost 10 hours of sleep last night. I've been trying to figure out if its something I've eaten, but everything is compliant and pretty much the same food I've been consuming all along. I'm hoping that this is just a late stage detox or something. Its very discouraging. I was feeling so much better last week, and now this  :(

The good news (sort of) is that if I feel this bad without the cake and beer, it's not the cake and beer making me feel bad :-)

Anyway, no point in giving up now, something might be just around the corner

just try to remember everyone, that you are gong to have bad days, even when you eat perfect.  try not to think of this lifestyle as one the makes you completely immune to every bad symptom.  you should see an overall improvement, not every day, all the time.  i know for me, i'm working long hours, and 8 hours of sleep just isnt enough, ever.  i know that i need about 10.  but i NEVER get it.  so being overtired during certain times of the year/week can be normal FOR ME.  i can't control that aspect of my life.  but i can control my diet which is making things more bearable during my busy spurts.  

This is one thing that I think makes the "timeline" not very helpful. Instead of becoming a guide, there's the temptation to say "ok, day six, I should be feeling this, and I'm not, OH GOD I'M DOING IT WRONG" or "all right, day 18, where's my tiger blood?!"  We're all going to react to this differently - some of us will be draggy for longer than others, some will zip right through to the end and wonder what all the fuss was about, some will follow the timeline as if it was written just for them. And any one day, we could be in any one of those groups! I've been having a hard time waking up lately, but I'm not worried about it. It's part of the process.

I'm also not planning my "first day back" food. I'm not sure when my Whole30 is going to end at this point. I don't really miss any of the food I've cut out, I never drank that much to begin with so I don't miss the booze, and I am a little worried that one bit of sugar will make me binge. Candy is a definite Food Without Brakes for me (see my many posts regarding the Ferrara Pan Red Hot), so it's probably never coming back because I just don't trust myself. Maaaaaaybe I'll have a miso soup one day for the beans, or a piece of sushi for the grains. Maybe not - sashimi is pretty tasty.

Basically, I feel like I've settled into this as a way of eating for now, and I'm going to roll with it as long as I can. This is subject to modification after reading all of your Day 31 Meal posts, of course. 

Basically, I feel like I've settled into this as a way of eating for now, and I'm going to roll with it as long as I can. This is subject to modification after reading all of your Day 31 Meal posts, of course.

The-ames ~ I agree, I'm going to try to extend this for as long as I can, then look at paleo as a way of life.  As I've said before, I will be bringing wine in, but that is usually just a weekend thing; and even with that, I'm sure I'll cut back.  I took gluten out a couple of years ago, and I didn't find it difficult.  My biggest "side effect" to this eating has been the reduction of swelling in my legs and ankles.  I don't want that to come back. 

I'm very tired today too, and I'm facing a run this evening.  All I really want to do is take a nap.  Maybe I'll take the nap and then see where I am.

I'm also sore from a hard physical therapy session yesterday, and that's possibly contributing to the exhaustion.

My clothes still don't fit any better, but overall my mood has been slightly better.  With moments of actual joy.  But then yesterday for no reason I burst into tears while driving home.  What suddenly popped into my head is that I'm not the kind of woman that men take care of.  Don't ask, I don't know where that came from.

And last night, dreams of absolutely decadent lush desserts that I couldn't get enough of.  Thing is, I don't usually care for that kind of thing.  I'm missing cheese and the quantity of fruit I used to eat.  

Archived