August 4 Start Group

wvictoria

Happy Monday!!!  8 days to go, or really 7 and 2/3.  I wish my energy level would even out.  All in all it's better than before I started, but some days I feel like I can keep going and others I feel more sluggish.  I seem to have lost my passion for food (which is a good thing), but along with that, I almost feel like I've lost some zest for life.  I'm thinking that I may need to replace my food passion for something else.  I need to feel excited about something.  I think Josephine has the right idea ~ maybe I need to take a dance class (I don't think I can do tango though). 

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Post whole30 I think I want to continue eating paelo, and be much more strict about not straying than I was before. Of course I know there will be special times when this will slide, but I want to be sure I am re-evaluating my idea of "special", so that its not 6 times per week! I'm definitely excited to see about the reintroduction period, and I am seriously considering going for another round for a few reasons: 

1. I feel really good, but I was hoping I would feel better (maybe my expectations were a bit unrealistic), so maybe a 60 day thing is really what I need? 

2. I know myself well enough to know that I need longer than 30 days to really get a new habit to take hold. Right now I feel so strong and good about saying "no thank you" to foods that aren't good for me/don't make me feel good. However I know that after I eat a piece of cake and have a martini my resolve will slowly flounder, and then its a slippery slope from there. I want to take more time to cultivate the habit that I have created here so that it becomes more second nature instead of a daily battle. 

3. While weight loss was not necessarily my goal, and I haven't looked at the scale I can say that my body is making progress in terms of muscle tone and I am greatly enjoying this change. I don't feel that I have excessively worked out during the 30 days because my focus has been much more on the food aspect. I suspect that If I gave it another 30 and put some emphasis on working out I would really love the results. 

4. I feel like my sugar dragon will come out of hiding on day 2 post whole 30 and then this whole thing will have been for nothing. I just know it. Hes lurking!!!! 

This may all change in a few days, or once I finally get to drink a beer! But for right now, optimistic as it may be, that's what I'm thinking... has anyone done a second whole 30? Is anyone thinking of doing another? 

@linzeey28

I subscribed to the daily email for the whole30 and in a couple of emails they stated that it actually takes 66 days to form new habits, according to scientific research. Originally it was thought that it was 21 days. So a whole 60 might be just the right thing to do :)

I myself am considering continuing this way of eating, mostly. I actually feel like i think less about food now that i don't have to worry about what i'm pairing with each food type, or making sure i eat something every 2-3 hours. I feel like i have food freedom. I make almost a weeks worth of meals on a Sunday and then i grab what i want when i need to eat. It has been so much easier for me than other "lifestyles" i was on previously.

I've had a couple of cravings the last 2 or 3 days... my son had a toasted sandwich that smelled amazing and i had to ask him to leave the room with it because i wanted the globs of molten cheese and the warm hero. I also had a dream about eating Popeyes and eating their fries.

The things i miss the most: bacon. cream in my coffee, cheese & bacon. I check the bacon every time i go to the super markets, even though i know they all have sugar, i still check them again. Then i check the turkey bacon, and the ham... sugar. Ridiculous. Since doing this ive realized that probably 90% of US food has sugar in it... it actually makes me mad. I feel like there is some conspiracy in the food industry... they put sugar in everything so that we crave more of everything, but its really the sugar we want. hmmmph.

Although i plan to eat mostly whole30... i want to see if i can tolerate dairy. It would be nice to have cream in my coffee on a Saturday morning when we have our sit down breakfast together. I used to drink it with just coconut oil but now it just tastes awful every time and after 2 sips i chuck it down the sink. Maybe i wont like it with cream either now... but i just want to know. I also would like to have cheese on my burger every once in a while. If i can't tolerate it then it's not a big deal. I have managed to live without them hehe

I don't really drink unless i am at a nice restaurant with my hubby when i will have a glass of wine - so that hasnt been hard for me. He is taking me out to a surprise location on Sept. 6th so i cannot plan ahead... but that doesn't stress me out at all.

Overall i feel much much better - my sleep is improved but still needs a little help. I don't get a mid afternoon slump anymore. I dont have tons of energy all the time, but i dont feel like a zombie anymore. My clothes fit better, some are too big now, and i can fit into things i couldnt 3 weeks ago. I dont ever want to feel like i did on day 0, ever again.

My 2 fav books have been Well Fed and Well Fed 2. Ive based most of my whole30 off the meals in these books and they have all been phenomenal. They're the best paleo books that i own, and i own a few.

I do still need to work on my exercise, although i have started to ride my bike again a couple of times a week and walk almost daily for about 20-30 mins..... and living in new york, we dont really walk, we speed walk everywhere because we need to get there yesterday. Oh how the 8 years living here have changed me lol.

Anyway, that's my update, my thoughts for today.. day 22 - can you believe it?!?!?!

I have been craving sweets for the past few days. It's driving me crazy. I must admit I've been fantasizing about food. Make it go away!!

YES. French fries, candy, all my little food demons. SIGH. Hopefully I will be like that woman I read who had a bite of bread that she used to love, and she realized she hated it - and then got angry about it. :D  I'd be fine with hating food that doesn't help me.  But the daydreams about sweets are really kicking in.

1. I feel really good, but I was hoping I would feel better (maybe my expectations were a bit unrealistic), so maybe a 60 day thing is really what I need? 

2. I know myself well enough to know that I need longer than 30 days to really get a new habit to take hold. 

3. I suspect that If I gave it another 30 and put some emphasis on working out I would really love the results. 

4. I feel like my sugar dragon will come out of hiding on day 2 post whole 30 and then this whole thing will have been for nothing. I just know it. Hes lurking!!!! 

(abridged)

Yes to all of these. I feel fine, but no tiger blood. I wasn't really expecting tiger blood, but it would have been nice to have a little more energy and not have such a hard time waking up in the mornings. Thank goodness I'm spoiled at work and don't have to leave the house until 9am.

And as much as I love my candy, I am fake-terrified about eating any after the 30 days. I feel like one slip, one Red Hot or hot tea with sugar, and it's all over. It has not escaped my notice that sugar is not one of the foods Melissa and Dallas include in the reintroduction plan.

So yeah. There may be a continuation of this thread to an August 4 Whole60! It sounds like I won't be alone. 

This upcoming weekend might be a bit of a challenge, but I think I can do it. I have a group of friends (The Bitcherie) who live all over the country. We get together one weekend a year to bask in each others' presence - and usually booze it up and eat all the food. But it's an incredibly supportive wonderful group of women, and I know they won't pressure me to join in their wine and snacks. And we're meeting at D's house (because of her triplet babies, omg) so I'll have access to a kitchen and a fridge. I'm going shopping after my plane lands. I can't wait - BABIES! ALL THE BABIES!  And planning, all the planning, haha. I've gotten the hang of eating out on the Whole30 though, so I'm feeling pretty good about it.

I was eating primal before this, with alcohol so I havent had to change much, which is probably why I havent seen much change. I know sugar makes me feel great for ten minutes then like death for hours after. I know if I eat pizza and a pudding im going to feel rough after. Im not going to give them up forever though and im hoping ive learned about moderation this month. Tomorrow is the last 7 days, im amazed at getting this far

The-ames ~ you are a brave woman!!!  The weekend will end, with or without a hangover!!!  Might as well be without....AND you'll remember everything clearly!!!  What a bonus!! 

My daughter started today, and I have really encouraged her to go on a forum because this has been one of the biggest motivators for me (even if I don't participate a lot).  I'm planning to stay paleo, but in support of her, I may just continue on for another 30 (except for the occasional glass of wine). 

I dreamed last night (as part of a typical crazy everything-happens-at-once-dream) that I had a bowl of Special K and milk. Then Dream Me froze and was all "oh no, I've ruined everything! I feel awful - was it the milk? The grains? The sugar in the cereal? I have to start all over again!" I guess my subconscious is reminding me to stay the course and remain vigilant.

Waking up is still really hard, though. and it doesn't seem to be related to how much sleep I'm getting, because it's the same on nights where I don't have bedtime duties for my friend, and can wake up whenever I want to. I guess it isn't so much waking up as it is getting out of bed? Or both. I don't know. That's been the biggest non-physical change I've noticed.

This upcoming weekend might be a bit of a challenge, but I think I can do it. I have a group of friends (The Bitcherie) who live all over the country. We get together one weekend a year to bask in each others' presence - and usually booze it up and eat all the food. But it's an incredibly supportive wonderful group of women, and I know they won't pressure me to join in their wine and snacks. And we're meeting at D's house (because of her triplet babies, omg) so I'll have access to a kitchen and a fridge. I'm going shopping after my plane lands. I can't wait - BABIES! ALL THE BABIES!  And planning, all the planning, haha. I've gotten the hang of eating out on the Whole30 though, so I'm feeling pretty good about it.

This sounds like SO much FUN!!! You can do it though. I was actually especially surprised at how well I handled the social situations that I had to be in. There were temptations, but each time I made a good, healthy choice the stronger I felt about it, and the more I felt empowered to make those decisions more. Social situations were always my downfall. I used them as a crutch to "indulge" and "treat myself". But now I see that while once in a great while is fine, 4 times a week is not! You will come out of the weekend feeling strong and empowered and in-control of your health!!! HAVE FUN! 

Thanks, littleg. No, I have a studio close to my home here in Williamsburg. I'm taking tango lessons on Saturdays, too. I always teach my students to dance (bachata, salsa, and merengue) and tango will be a really fun addition!

I really want to hear from others what your plans are after the w30.

I've been looking into dance lessons to introduce some more activity into my life. I always chicken out going though, having been cursed with several left feet. I do have several places close to me bookmarked. Maybe I'll take a look at them again :).

I plan to go through the reintroduction as advised in ISWF, and then stick to this way of eating with occassional, intentional, offroading. Although I haven't been ravaged with tiger's blood, I do feel better, sleep better, and think better, than I did on day 0 and before.

Waking up is still really hard, though. and it doesn't seem to be related to how much sleep I'm getting, because it's the same on nights where I don't have bedtime duties for my friend, and can wake up whenever I want to. I guess it isn't so much waking up as it is getting out of bed? Or both. I don't know. That's been the biggest non-physical change I've noticed.

For me it's not waking up, which I do without wanting to, it's the fact I don't wake up with much energy, I don't feel refreshed. Is that what is happening with you?

For me it's not waking up, which I do without wanting to, it's the fact I don't wake up with much energy, I don't feel refreshed. Is that what is happening with you?

It's more that I am sleeping really REALLY deeply, and I feel groggy when it's time to get up. I've never had problems going to sleep before (I was the four year old who put herself to bed, often without telling anyone), and I fall asleep great now. And sleep through the night, but waking up is HARD. Once I can manage actually getting out of bed, I'm fine.

The-ames have you tried those sleep aps that wake you up at the best time in your sleep cycle? It sounds like you are waking up at your deepest sleep. I hate it when that happens, I feel disorientated for ages.

Thanks Ragbaby, I didn't know an app like that existed ~ I'll have to check it out!! 

I have one called sleep bot, there is also sleep like an android. It tracks your noise and movement when you are asleep to measure cycles.

I weighed and measured today on day 24. Weight is the same. An inch off my bust, 2 inches off my waist, hips the same. I havent done any more exercise than normal, been too tired. I suppose the inches are just water retention and will pop straight back on when I have a drink. Disappointed that my sleep is still bad and really havent seen any change in the last weeks other than a lowering of my mood.

You play the lotto hoping for a win, sometimes u get lucky, but no big wins and honestly you're lucky to get even 1 number. Then you decide to stop playing. Then your nnumbers come out... If only you had tried one more time.

Whole30... you are diligent daily, you feel minor improvements but nothing major. Maybe nothing at all. You decide to give up before the finish line then the day after you read about several people who felt exactly like you hitting the whole30 jackpot with tiger blood, no aches or pain, great sleep and glowing skin - all over night!! If only you had tried one more day....

In the words of Dori... just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming. ..

Day 24.... wooot!!

I'm still here, it's just been crazy. My partner ended up having unexpected surgery (and is doing great now). I am horrified at the food options available in hospitals. Zero compliant food available (other than fruit). Thankfully I had stocked my purse with Epic Bars, just in case. I was short on veggies for one day, but I stayed compliant.

I'm feeling pretty good. Sleep is good, really good. I notice some others mentioned they are sleeping the sleep of the dead too. I was really groggy in the morning until I upped my sleep hours significantly. There were several days that I slept 11+ hours and that seemed to help. I've balanced out at about 8.5 hours before I wake up, feeling good, on my own. I found that I needed to go to bed ridiculously early for a while to get here though. I must have had a big sleep deficit going on.

It looks like we may have lost a few members this week. I hope they just haven't had time to check in on the boards. I'm grateful for those still here. I really love reading the posts, even if it's just through my email.

We're on the home stretch!!!  :D

I am horrified at the food options available in hospitals. Zero compliant food available (other than fruit).

It looks like we may have lost a few members this week. I hope they just haven't had time to check in on the boards. I'm grateful for those still here. I really love reading the posts, even if it's just through my email.

We're on the home stretch!!! :D

I'm still here!! Congrats for making it this far everyone!

Also horrified of hospital food, and especially school food. I tell kids not to eat it if they can avoid it.

Also, I cheated and weighed the other day too. I was feeling discouraged and it was just what I needed to stay on track. Down 12 pounds!! Wow. I am so stoked about this year!!!

I'm still here too! 

I haven't had any tiger blood moments either, but I've definitely felt calmer and just all around more content. I've lost the poochiness in my belly (there's a little still there, but much flatter than 24 days ago), so that's great. My sleep has been better, although it's really hard for me to get more than 6 hours a night, those 6 hours have been deep and restful. I track my sleep progress with my Fitbit, and "restless" and "awake" lines have decreased substantially!

I'm still debating what I plan to do after next Tuesday; part of me knows that going 60 days will most likely produce the best results, but it will take more commitment. I think at this point I'm just going to try to keep going as long as I can, it's not hard for me to eat Whole30 style, except for when my boyfriend wants to go out to eat on the weekends. But I've been happy with how I've adapted and been able to order Whole30-compliant meals out. I'll definitely keep checking in on this thread and posting if others plan on continuing!

Also, I cheated and weighed the other day too. I was feeling discouraged and it was just what I needed to stay on track. Down 12 pounds!! Wow. I am so stoked about this year!!!

Congratulations on the 12 lbs!!! 

I'm staying away from the scale, but I definitely notice change in my clothes.  Prior to starting this, everything was getting uncomfortable, now some are feeling pretty roomy!! 

I had to go to the doc yesterday and my BP was down, so that's something.  Yay!!

I haven't gone out to dinner yet.  I declined a dinner at a Mexican Restaurant because I couldn't see anything I could have on their menu except a dinner salad, and that was in my first week, so I thought it easier to not stay for dinner. 

AbbyQ17 - I agree with you in going on as long as I can, but I'm sure going to Italy will put the brakes on it real quick.  However, I am still going to try to stick to paleo as closely as I can. 

I think we lost the person who started this forum :(

I track my sleep progress with my Fitbit, and "restless" and "awake" lines have decreased substantially!

AbbyQ17, how does the Fitbit work for tracking your sleep? Is it something you wear at night? That sounds like fascinating information to have.

Archived