August 4 Start Group

wvictoria

Yes you wear it in a little wrist band and it monitors all of your movement and so gives you a total of awake time vs sleep time. It's very informative and a great tool to have.

Fitbit customer service is probably among the best I've ever had to deal with. My first fitbit got washed in the machine and even though I was beyond the warranty, they gave me another for half the price. My new one actually is stuck 2 days behind but doesn't sync so they are sending me a replacement, for free!!

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm having an emotionally down day today. It was all good, but a work mistake made almost a year ago just cropped up again - it just won't go away. And one of my co-workers has the ability to make me feel like I know nothing, or at least that he thinks I know nothing, he's very condescending even when he not trying to be, and now I'm just totally bummed out.

But not eating my emotions, and definitely not abandoning this process in the last few days. Just bummed.

Day 25! I can't believe I'm sticking this out. I'm so looking forward to the end. Plan is to reintroduce dairy first, and alcohol of course. Wheat I know I'm ok with little bits and I don't miss it. Grains I can live without apart from rice but dairy would make things so much easier.

Sleep is still terrible, going to take a sleeping pill tonight, it's been too long and I am going to crack.

Ragbaby ~ Apparently you have more inner strength than you give yourself credit for!!!  We're almost there!!

I'm having an emotionally down day today. It was all good, but a work mistake made almost a year ago just cropped up again - it just won't go away. And one of my co-workers has the ability to make me feel like I know nothing, or at least that he thinks I know nothing, he's very condescending even when he not trying to be, and now I'm just totally bummed out.

But not eating my emotions, and definitely not abandoning this process in the last few days. Just bummed.

I hope you're having a better day today!!!  Since working with emotions is my career, I thought I'd pass on a couple of websites that my clients seem to like.  One is about "tapping", and if you never heard of it, I have found it to be very helpful for anxiety and emotionally "stuck" people.....plus it's free!!  It also works with cravings. 

http://www.marcandangel.com/2014/08/27/20-things-life-is-too-short-not-to-appreciate/#more-731

http://www.thetappingsolution.com/blog/struggling-to-feel-positive/

Just wanted to share with everyone the difference eating Whole30-style makes for my sleep patterns. If you look at the picture I've attached, it's two screenshots from my fitbit app, showing my sleep pattern for two different nights - July 25 and August 29. Each of the light blue lines are times when I was restless, and pink lines when I was awake. The difference is incredible! As you can see, I'm also trying for more hours of sleep, it's always so hard for me to go to bed early!post-50713-0-80168200-1409329940_thumb.j

Just wanted to share with everyone the difference eating Whole30-style makes for my sleep patterns. If you look at the picture I've attached, it's two screenshots from my fitbit app, showing my sleep pattern for two different nights - July 25 and August 29. Each of the light blue lines are times when I was restless, and pink lines when I was awake. The difference is incredible! As you can see, I'm also trying for more hours of sleep, it's always so hard for me to go to bed early!attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Wow. A picture is worth a thousand words, right? That's a significant difference. It's so neat that you have access to that information. I'm a little envious :P and may have to look into getting one of those. I assume it also tracks your fitness/activity levels? (I know, I should just google it - it's just more interesting to hear a person's thoughts on a product instead of the advertiser's promises). I have a garmin forerunner for things like distance, calorie burn, speed, etc. but it sure doesn't tell me about my rest time.  (can you tell I'm a gadget-girl!!?)

Thanks for sharing the pic!

I've been thinking a lot about the reintroduction phase next week. I originally thought that I would start with dairy, but now, after all this time, it really doesn't sound good. Even a bowl of ice cream (my go-to treat pre-whole30) just sounds bleh. I don't want to miss the opportunity to learn how my newly clean system responds to the various taboo foods, but I also don't want to eat something "bad" just for the sake of experimentation.

How are you all approaching it? Are you waiting until you have a hankering for it, or are you going to follow the protocol?

Good questions, Tuni.  Right now, there's nothing I'm craving, or thinking I really want to bring in (with the exception of a glass of wine on the weekend).  Other than that, I'm going to try to stay pretty close to the plan.  I fear messing up how I feel OR getting right back into the sugar demon.  I love the way my hunger doesn't feel like a burning need anymore and that I don't have to make sure I bring enough food to get through the day ~ I bring my lunch  and that's all I need.   I'm sure if I go out to eat, it won't be exactly whole30 compliant, but I will try to get as close as I can. 

I've been thinking a lot about the reintroduction phase next week. I originally thought that I would start with dairy, but now, after all this time, it really doesn't sound good. Even a bowl of ice cream (my go-to treat pre-whole30) just sounds bleh. I don't want to miss the opportunity to learn how my newly clean system responds to the various taboo foods, but I also don't want to eat something "bad" just for the sake of experimentation.

How are you all approaching it? Are you waiting until you have a hankering for it, or are you going to follow the protocol?

I think I'm going to follow the plan because it is systematic and I think it will be easier to take notes, but I will only eat foods I actually want in small quantities. I think the 3 servings in one day will give a pretty good picture.

@Tuni, the fitbit also tracks my daily steps/distance; out of the box, it comes preprogrammed with a 10,000 step daily goal, but as I sit behind a desk all day, I was hardly ever meeting it, so I lowered it to 5,000. I probably should raise it to maybe 7,500, but since I normally Crossfit 4-5 times a week, I'm not as concerned about my steps, I really love it for tracking sleep. You should look into getting one! I got mine on Amazon right after Christmas, for about $85 (Fitbit Flex), but even on the Fitbit website they're usually only about $100. My mom, sisters and I all have them, and it's like a competition, lol. My youngest sister sleeps like the dead and some nights she has no light blue lines at all!!

As of right now, I plan to follow the reintroduction protocol on the days suggested, because I too want to see how my body responds to the different foods. But like I said earlier this week, I may just keep going into a Whole 45 or 60, I feel like I have more progress to make. We'll see how I feel next Tuesday though! Even if I don't continue, I'll still continue eating mostly Whole30-style, especially during the week, with some occasional treat foods on the weekends (my boyfriend and I love this local taco joint, they have the best house made chips and guac, it's literally mind-blowing!!). 

Oh and....

I too have been thinking about the re introductory stages. At first I was thinking just about dairy, but honestly I THINK I can get by without it. I know if I suddenly see I can have it that I'll be going through a chunk of cheese very often. So, I think I want to continue this, for now, as I have a lot of weight to lose and still some hormonal imbalance and I definitely don't want my back pain and arthritis flaring up.

I do have a date planned with the hubby. It's a surprise restaurant so cannot plan ahead, but other than a glass of wine I don't think I will be eating off plan. But I don't even know the cuisine, so who knows. Maybe at the end of another month I will do the reintroducing. It would be nice to be able to keep this post going and keep up with how you all do. Although I don't post a lot I enjoy coming here daily :)

My hubby is about to come home with popeyes.... help!

These last few days I've been wanting to eat stuff I don't usually eat. I know it's my brain having its last ditch effort, but boy it's some effort!

Me too! I don't know what's up with that. It must be the extinction burst, but geez, it's pretty annoying this late in the game. The last couple of days have me feeling very "snacky" and thinking about foods I don't even really want. It's so weird.  I hope you made it through the popeye's ordeal. Only a few days left!

During this same time I'm finally noticing some big changes in my body. YAY! That's definitely been enough to keep me on the straight-and-narrow.

It would be nice to be able to keep this post going and keep up with how you all do. Although I don't post a lot I enjoy coming here daily :)

I will keep coming back to check in too. I am so happy to have shared this with everyone on here. I love reading the updates and knowing I'm not alone in some of the more frustrating parts of the program.

I've decided to reintroduce according to schedule. I too am a little worried about falling into the cheese drawer and not coming out for weeks, but we've learned that we are not slaves to food. I will bring that lesson with me and hopefully be able to manage my decisions more responsibly than I have in the past.

Big challenge for me today. This must be the universe making sure I know that I'm strong.  A very dear friend of mine is throwing a birthday party tonight. She just planned it 2 weeks ago. If I had known about the party at the beginning of this, I would have waited to do my whole30 until afterward. It's that big of a deal. All my "drinking buddies" will be there, all my favorite foods will be there, and I'm supposed to bring my signature homemade cake that take several hours to make (and so I almost never make it). It's also my FAVORITE FOOD IN THE ENTIRE FREAKING UNIVERSE. The frosting is like little sugar-and-fat-riddled puffs of heaven. If I can make it through without licking my fingers, I will know I'm a changed woman. I think once it's made, I will be fine. I can move it out of sight and mind.  Making it? Wow. Just wish me luck. I may be checking in here frequently this afternoon.

Stay strong, Tuni. I don't know what I was thinking when I started this right BEFORE MY OWN BIRTHDAY but I guess it helps in the long run. Knowing that I didn't break down on my birthday gives me strength for other temptations.

I love hearing others' plans for reintro. Mine is soy. Not because I love soy, but it would make my life easier if I could have soybean oil. That's the only noncompliant ingredient in so many products that would help me out. Like Dukes Mayo. I've been making my own Mayo, and it does fine as far as texture, but I've put a lot of money into making Mayo with compliant oils, followed several recipes, and it just doesn't taste good, but then I choke it down anyway because it cost too much to throw out.

And I would really enjoy some of my edamame salads again. Good protein boost.

Turns out... it was no big deal. Made it through the frosting, and the party, with no second thoughts or feelings of being tempted. Hmm. That's pretty cool and unexpected. I think there might be something to this Whole30 thing. 

Three more days. Maybe I won't even want any of the things I think I'm missing.

Stay strong, Tuni. I don't know what I was thinking when I started this right BEFORE MY OWN BIRTHDAY but I guess it helps in the long run. Knowing that I didn't break down on my birthday gives me strength for other temptations.

Do you usually celebrate with food/drink? Was this a big change for you; to celebrate Whole30-style? If so, how did you make it through? Sheer will? or was there a trick to it?  

I totally agree about the strength for other temptations. Now that it's over, I'm really grateful for the experience. I guess I thought it would be a real struggle. Now I'm thinking my mind is the obstacle to overcome... not the food.

A lot of our bad food habits are from social expectations, but we are also often participants in meeting those expectations, even when we don't realise it.

I used to always say yes to food people offered me, which is pretty silly if you're not hungry, it's something you don't want or worse something that makes you sick. Yet this is a common social expectation and many of us were raised to "be polite". Now I know how to be polite and say no thank you :)

I used to think I had to eat whatever other people cooked or eat out whereever they wanted to go, now I know it's my choice and I also don't have to stay home, it's my choice where I go and what I eat.

Sometimes you need to set new boundaries with old friends (or ourselves), but sometimes those new boundaries are much easier than we thought :)

Quit whole 30 on day 28. Results - weight; the same, measurements; 1 inch off my boobs. Good things - no dips in blood sugar at all. Bad things - depression for no good reason, sleep not better.

I think that having food as such a main focus of my life wasn't helpful to me. Planning meals actually added stress which I don't need. So, last night, family I haven't seen for a year came over. I had a pizza and a glass of wine, shared some of my son's pudding and I feel fine.

The weirdest thing that came out of it was the depression. I feel ok now, back to my old grumpy self, not desolate like I was in week 2. I really wasn't expecting that and I'm not sure which bit of the W30 triggered it.

The best thing that came out of this was learning that what I eat doesn't make any difference to how good or bad I feel - apart from the blood sugar which I already know is better if I stick to paleo principals.  I really need to not think about food for a bit. I'm going to eat what I feel like and keep an eye on what I feel like but I'm not doing any more planning for a bit. There is some fish in the freezer and that is about as far ahead as I want to think about it.

Quit whole 30 on day 28. Results - weight; the same, measurements; 1 inch off my boobs. Good things - no dips in blood sugar at all. Bad things - depression for no good reason, sleep not better.

ragbaby,

I'm so glad that you checked in. You got in 28 days of healthy food, and you seem very self-aware about what you need right now, I count both of those as major successes. I've really enjoyed sharing this journey with you. I hope you'll continue to post about how you're feeling while returning to your normal life. Hopefully the depression resolves and you're feeling better soon!

Tuni

Archived