August 4 Start Group

wvictoria

JulOlogy and ragbaby- also remember that through this process your body is learning to be fat adaptive, which means your body is learning to burn fat for energy rather than glycogen, which could cause you to be sluggish in your workouts until you begin to make that adaptation.

I have no intention of doing any workouts, I can't stand the music in gyms. I walk a lot, stretch a lot, been doing ariel yoga which is fun and I do lift a kettleball occasionally but workouts are just not going to happen round here.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 11. I got 8 hours sleep last night which is wonderful but I'm still tired. Been on a school trip and fell asleep in the coach on the way home.

Done lots of walking today, packed lunch was ok and I am still not tempted by any rubbish food. I'd love a pint of beer though,

The other problem is what to eat.  I need something that doesn't require preparation or that I can prepare in advance.  I'm going to search the forums for suggestions. 

Here's where I'm about to be shunned for going off-the-book.  I confess.  I baked pumpkin squares.  I don't call them bread because honestly, I didn't do it to be a replacement for anything, especially bread. 

I can't even give a recipe, but I used a TON of eggs (I think it was 8), canned pumpkin, some shredded zucchini, nutmeg and cinnamon, and almond flour - but I only put enough flour to bind it, not enough to make it like a "dough".  Poured it into a pan and baked it.  Grease it well with coconut oil!! It really sticks to the pan (lack of flour?).  Bake it until it is firm when you push on the middle.  I cut them into squares and put them all into a freezer bag.  Some mornings I have to leave right away and I grab one of these with an apple.  Just remember that the idea is that we are changing our relationship with food so we can't treat these like muffins or some other breakfast yummy.  It doesn't taste at all similar to a muffin, but the taste is something I have come to enjoy just as much as I enjoy a bowl of curry shrimp. 

Also, I made salmon croquettes the other night - I didn't use any flour, not even almond, and they came out great.  I had a ton of veggies in them- I started it all by sauteing diced sweet potato, zucchini, onion, pepper, carrot, and plantain. After it cooled, I added 8 eggs, then set a part aside for my vegetarian daughter.  To the rest I added the forked salmon (leftover from salmon I cooked for a lunchtime salad the day before. 

Anyway, this was another thing that will freeze well and be a good make-ahead food.  At any rate, scrambling or frying eggs only takes a few minutes anyway.  Or have boiled eggs. 

Good luck and enjoy your runs!  I think it's a great idea and might try the program myself.  However, I have water on the knee right now and can't find info on whether you should exercise it or let it rest?    I used to get it frequently in high school, then started getting it again after my second kid.  I haven't had it for a long time so I don't know why it flared up now.  I never see a doc for it - I did in high school but they just let it heal on it's own so that's what I do now. 

I was saying I was easily keeping off forbidden stuff, but I've noticed that I'm drinking more tea and coffee than usual. That is: in moments I would normally reach for some chocolate, I make myself a tea or coffee instead. I don't think that's too good. The goal is to change my relationship with food, not replace an addiction with another addiction. Plus, I'm feeling jittery this morning from too much tea. And I have a slight headache, which is also what I experience when I eat sugar. I read that caffein has an affect on blood sugar, I guess that's the reason. Anyway, I'm thinking I'll try to keep my tea/coffee consumption in the pre-W30 level, and maybe even try to eliminate them. What do you think? Has anybody experienced something similar?

Definitely.  I noticed myself doing the exact same thing.  And to make matters worse, someone in another forum suggested a spoon on coconut cream in your coffee "to add fat".  It most certainly does not sweeten or make the coffee creamy, however, it does cut the bitterness some and now I have trouble drinking my coffee without it! Ugh. Try a decaff tea?  I switch to tea in the afternoon and it's decaf/herbal stuff I get cheap at the latino market. 

But most importantly, I'm trying to just grab for my water bottle.  I tote it everywhere, one of my biggest accomplishments with this life-change.  I've never liked drinking water and think I'm finally becoming more inclined to do it. 

I feel a lot of energy but this knee is really stopping me from doing a lot of the stuff I want to get done.  I'm doing things, but I'm slow-moving.  (Water-on-the-knee)

I was just reading the timeline for today:

"Remind yourself that food cannot fill that void for you—cannot make you feel truly accomplished, comforted, calm, happy, beautiful. Then, find another way to fill that need that does not involve those foods."

The only thing I really want is a pint and it can make me feel truly accomplished, comforted, calm, happy and I'm loads prettier when I've had a few pints, and wittier too. Doesn't mean I'm going to have a drink but I do miss it and I can't think of anything else that does what alcohol does.

A little late, just got here but started on August 4th as well.

I'm tired of my body (weight and well-being) being out of control.  I tried an elimination diet last year that worked well, but suddenly stopped working earlier this year.  It was also very restrictive,so not good for me long-term.

I suffered some gastric pain a few months ago that I finally handled with acupuncture ( more effective that Prilosec).  And lately I've been dealing with knee pain, but I think that's more overuse than anything else.  Although it's possibly inflammation as well, as that happened to me last year.

Whole30 is more reflective of how I actually eat than any other eating plan, except for the hummus, wine and chocolate that I've had to give up.  I've already given up dairy (meaning cheese and yogurt in my case - hate milk.)

10 days in I'm feeling better, less bloating, and a flatter belly.  

And now to catch up and read how my fellow August-4thers are doing.

POTENTIAL TMI WARNING

Day 11 and I was feeling great! Was. Suddenly I'm covered in hives. I mean covered and feel like I want to crawl out of my skin! I eat a pretty consistent boring diet. Meat, eggs, mostly raw vegetables, and small amounts of fruit with  most meals.  I drink 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning, water, peppermint tea at night, and a rare La Croix.  I did add a bit of (compliant) salsa to my eggs this morning (which is new). Here's my food diary for the past couple of days:

Wednesday:

Meal 1:

Eggs - scrambled in the microwave with a bit of water (ingredients: eggs, water)

Sweet potato hash (ingredients: sweet potato, coconut oil)

Handful of cherry tomatoes

Meal 2:

Leftover pork roast (pork roast, water, salt, pepper, garlic)

Leftover roast vegetables (carrots, onions, potatoes, asparagus, leeks, olive oil, salt, pepper)

Nectarine

Meal 3:

Scrambled ground beef with onion

Cherry tomatoes

1/2 pear

Today

Meal 1:

Scrambled eggs (ingredients: eggs, water)

One small bite of salsa (ingredients below)

Cucumber

Very small handful raw organic cashews

Between breakfast and lunch I had a fairly difficult meeting at work, but didn't feel particularly stressed.

Then.....HIVES HIVES HIVES HIVES HIVES HIVES EVERYWHERE - arm pits, groin, scalp, bra line, bend of my elbow, bend of my knees, neck, eye lids, etc. Some are huge, (think 3-4 inches across), and others look more like mosquito bites.

Meal 2 (thinking the hives will go away if I ignore them)

Leftover scrambled ground beef and onion

Zucchini/Yellow squash (steamed) with salt and pepper

5 or 6 cherries

I am currently wallowing in my misery. The salsa is the only thing that I haven't already eaten, and I took one (very small) bite. Here are the salsa ingredients:

Salsa

Tomato

Onion

Cilantro

Distilled white vinegar

Green bell pepper

Jalapeno

Salt

Cumin

Citric Acid

Garlic

Celery

Lime Juice

I have eaten all these ingredients (except cilantro) during my Whole30.

I haven't had hives since moving to Arizona 26 years ago.

I look forward to hearing if y'all have any thoughts or advice for me. Do you think it's food related? Maybe I'm just detoxing? Stress? Is anyone else struggling with hives?  When I searched the forums, I found at least one other person who had a problem with hives around day 8.

ARGGGHHHHHH!

Tuni that sounds awful.  You know it is interesting that my boss (who is allergic to a long list of items) broke out in hives on what was day 3 for her.  She wondered the same thing and I honestly don't know the answer.  She was also wondering if it was the medication she takes for her Fibromyalgia.  

I am exhausted today.  Super low energy for my run this morning and now that I've read a bit of ultrarunnergirl's blog I realize that I need a full 2 weeks whole 30 at least to switch my body from burning primarily carbs to burning primarily fat for fuel.  

I'll be happy when this phase is behind me. 

ragbaby I'm with you in that I really miss unwinding with alcohol.  What is keeping me strong is the reminder that I don't have to quit forever, only for 30 days.  After that I can decided what I want to do.  It helps me stay the course on nights like tonight when my husband is enjoying a glass of wine with his dinner and I just look on in envy. 

That whole "eat three meals" thing didn't quite happen for me today. I had a banana and a handful of cashews for breakfast. Lunch was greens, steak tips w/onion and bell pepper, and some tomato. That was around 1:30 or 2pm. It's now almost 9pm and I'm only just now getting a little bit hungry. Crazy. I thought about going out for dinner (still traveling) but I just don't want to. 

julzology - I did the Ct5K a few years ago. I remember Week Four kicking my butt. :D I think I was camped out at that week for a good long time. One of the reasons I'm doing this is to hopefully get to where I can do that again. A 5K is a perfect length run, and I really enjoyed it. But what I don't enjoy now is the tummy jiggle, so it's a goal.

julzology, not happy to hear what you said about low energy running.  Well, at least I know what to expect tomorrow then.

ragbaby, be thankful you feel thinner.  I don't, although I feel better than I did.  But my clothes are still as tight as when I started.

I can't wait for this low feeling to pass, as I know it must.

Hives?  I have no idea as it isn't something I've ever experienced, except in response to sulfa meds.

Oh, and I too miss my daily wine.  Nothing like it at the end of the day.  Water in a wine glass isn't quite the same, but it will do for now.

My daughter texted me this morning that she had yogurt and beer so I guess she fell off the Whole30 wagon.  My boss pretty much bailed on her 3rd or 4th day though she has said that she's Whole30 at home just not when she's out which is to say she's not really following the plan.  I'm feeling like what is my reason for staying the course if my daughter (this was her idea and I was doing this to support her) isn't staying the course?   I'm a little disappointed. 

I'm going to have to rediscover my motiviation.  

Truthfully, I have become somewhat attached to this thread on this forum and it is helping me stay on track.  Thank you all for that. 

Day 12 or 40% of the way there.  Yay!  

Day 12 and I'm ready for my poochy belly to start flattening out  :D

I dreamed last night that I absentmindedly ate a bunch of Rollo candies (why Rollos, I don't know, I haven't had them in years) on Day 12 and realized I was going to have to start over :'( Fortunately it was just a dream!!!

I was saying I was easily keeping off forbidden stuff, but I've noticed that I'm drinking more tea and coffee than usual. That is: in moments I would normally reach for some chocolate, I make myself a tea or coffee instead. I don't think that's too good. The goal is to change my relationship with food, not replace an addiction with another addiction. Plus, I'm feeling jittery this morning from too much tea. And I have a slight headache, which is also what I experience when I eat sugar. I read that caffein has an affect on blood sugar, I guess that's the reason. Anyway, I'm thinking I'll try to keep my tea/coffee consumption in the pre-W30 level, and maybe even try to eliminate them. What do you think? Has anybody experienced something similar?

For my whole 30 I gave up all caffeine, because I have a terrible, passionate LOVE for coffee. I probably only drank 2 cups a day pre-whole 30 but i was noticing that mornings when I didn't have it i was feeling bad/sad/groggy. In my first whole 30 attempt  one mistake I made was using caffeine as a crutch for my dragging energy levels and to replace all of the good feelings I got from food. This go-around I decided that I had better eliminate all of the foods that potentially had a hold over me. The first two weeks was HORRIBLE. I think I had more of an addiction than I was aware of. I am just now starting to feel good in the mornings and not want to kill everyone.

My boyfriend laughs at me because the one thing I miss the most is the coffee. I'm not tempted by him eating cheese or cake or drinking beer. But i'm so jealous of his coffee.  I can describe everything about making it and drinking it in almost sexual terms, from grinding the beans, to the aroma as it steeps in the french press, to holding the warm mug, hahah I love it so much! But clearly something that has THAT strong of a hold on you is not healthy. 

Post whole 30 I plan on drinking coffee again, but to really get the most out of the program, and to really see how good I would feel I figured I had better ditch it. Its ONLY 30 days right!?!  (sarcasm) This part of it has been wayyyyy harder than I thought. 

My daughter texted me this morning that she had yogurt and beer so I guess she fell off the Whole30 wagon.  My boss pretty much bailed on her 3rd or 4th day though she has said that she's Whole30 at home just not when she's out which is to say she's not really following the plan.  I'm feeling like what is my reason for staying the course if my daughter (this was her idea and I was doing this to support her) isn't staying the course?   I'm a little disappointed. 

Truthfully, I have become somewhat attached to this thread on this forum and it is helping me stay on track.  Thank you all for that. 

Don't you dare give up!!! Not when you've come so far! You may as well see it though at this point until the end! WE are in this together, and none of us have given up!!! Just think about the self satisfaction that you will have ion day 30. Think of your glowing skin and feeling great every morning! Also think of setting an awesome example to your daughter about setting goals and sticking to them! You can do this!!!! 

YOU CAN DO IT!  :D

Woke up feeling glad that it's Friday and day 12! We've made it past the infamous days 10 and 11!

I still have hives this morning, but they are significantly better.  My daughter came over for a little bit last night to do some laundry (she's started a Whole30 on August 5th). I showed her the hives on my arms and neck and she proceeded to show me the ones on the bends of her arms and legs. She said they had just shown up the day before. We don't live or eat together as a general rule, so I don't think it's an exposure we have in common.  I'm really beginning to wonder if this is just part of my detox process. Her hives aren't nearly as bad as mine, but neither was her diet before we started this.  It's all very weird (and uncomfortable).

On the upside, I am beginning to notice that my clothes fit just a bit more comfortably.  That's enough to keep me pressing on.

Have a great day everyone!

You can do this.  I have tried and tried to get my husband to do this with me for over a year now and he finally is.  it is comforting to have him by my side, but there have been so many times he has bailed way before me.  i have significantly more weight to lose than him and i have just put it in my mind that it is not an option for me to quit.  try to think of it not as being the one left behind, but you doing the leaving.  because at the end, you will be the one better off for it.  i dont really think you did this for them did you?  you did it because YOU wanted to be healthier.  it is just easier when you have help.  BUT...you have us!  and i think we are all a little attached to this thread too ;)

For my whole 30 I gave up all caffeine, because I have a terrible, passionate LOVE for coffee. I probably only drank 2 cups a day pre-whole 30 but i was noticing that mornings when I didn't have it i was feeling bad/sad/groggy. In my first whole 30 attempt  one mistake I made was using caffeine as a crutch for my dragging energy levels and to replace all of the good feelings I got from food. This go-around I decided that I had better eliminate all of the foods that potentially had a hold over me. The first two weeks was HORRIBLE. I think I had more of an addiction than I was aware of. I am just now starting to feel good in the mornings and not want to kill everyone.

My boyfriend laughs at me because the one thing I miss the most is the coffee. I'm not tempted by him eating cheese or cake or drinking beer. But i'm so jealous of his coffee.  I can describe everything about making it and drinking it in almost sexual terms, from grinding the beans, to the aroma as it steeps in the french press, to holding the warm mug, hahah I love it so much! But clearly something that has THAT strong of a hold on you is not healthy. 

Post whole 30 I plan on drinking coffee again, but to really get the most out of the program, and to really see how good I would feel I figured I had better ditch it. Its ONLY 30 days right!?!  (sarcasm) This part of it has been wayyyyy harder than I thought. 

maybe when you start back up you can find a good quality decaf or half-caff.  it sounds to me that this is more than a caffeine additiction.  it is the ritual of it.  it's almost like your meditation, which is totally fine.  if you like the process of the coffee, try to find a way to enjoy it without all the caffeine.  i also love coffee and actually dream of owning my own coffee shop someday.  i love the sound, the smell, the look, and the taste.  i usually make 2 cups worth in the morning but it lasts me 'til lunch time.  i have been experimenting with the half caff.  i have quit before (when i was pregnant) and i only had mild withdrawl for like 2 days, but i still missed it when i couldnt have it.    

on another note, we are almost 2 weeks in everyone!  i'm so proud of us.  and i feel really grateful for this group because just reading everyone's posts gives me a little comfort.  i just keep telling myself "cheating" isn't an option so it helps me get the idea out of my head.  i have also told everyone i'm going to lose 100 pounds, so i will lose face if i don't at least get part way there.  now that i have a baby and my mother in law has passed, i keep telling myself i'm worth the effort, and the more i tell myself, the more i believe it.  i never used to, i just didn't care, but as i see my little boy grow, i realize that there is SOMEONE that cares if i stick around for a long time.  i REFUSE to be a victim of my own bad choices.    

Here's where I'm about to be shunned for going off-the-book.  I confess.  I baked pumpkin squares.  I don't call them bread because honestly, I didn't do it to be a replacement for anything, especially bread. 

I can't even give a recipe, but I used a TON of eggs (I think it was 8), canned pumpkin, some shredded zucchini, nutmeg and cinnamon, and almond flour - but I only put enough flour to bind it, not enough to make it like a "dough".  Poured it into a pan and baked it.  Grease it well with coconut oil!! It really sticks to the pan (lack of flour?).  Bake it until it is firm when you push on the middle.  I cut them into squares and put them all into a freezer bag.  Some mornings I have to leave right away and I grab one of these with an apple.  Just remember that the idea is that we are changing our relationship with food so we can't treat these like muffins or some other breakfast yummy.  It doesn't taste at all similar to a muffin, but the taste is something I have come to enjoy just as much as I enjoy a bowl of curry shrimp. 

Shun you, never, Josephine.  :)  On the other hand, I'm not sure one of these + an apple = a good breakfast. If you could shift toward meat/fish + vegetables, and a quiet sitting moment, that would probably be better for your goals. You wanted to lose weight, if I remember correctly. And you said you had difficulty with that in spite of a lot of efforts, which suggests to me you might have a sensitivity to certain foods. In that case, eggs and almonds may not be your best friends...

The only thing I really want is a pint and it can make me feel truly accomplished, comforted, calm, happy and I'm loads prettier when I've had a few pints, and wittier too. Doesn't mean I'm going to have a drink but I do miss it and I can't think of anything else that does what alcohol does.

You are prettier and wittier when you HAVEN'T had a pint —at least, when the last pint is far away enough. So stay in there with us and you'll see the magic.

I was feeling very very down in all the first half of my first W30. That's your system adjusting. Just wait. We'll hold your hand.

I look forward to hearing if y'all have any thoughts or advice for me. Do you think it's food related? Maybe I'm just detoxing? Stress? Is anyone else struggling with hives?  When I searched the forums, I found at least one other person who had a problem with hives around day 8.

Sounds like hives is pretty typical, too. Have you checked with the mods?

Wow, that is a powerful attraction indeed!  :blink: How brave of you to cut it out. How do you feel now? Back to normal or better than with your coffee?

For me, I'm still constipated, which is really frustrating. However, I'm starting to understand what's going on in a new light after hearing that Detox Summit. My functional doctor thinks I have the MTHFR snip mutation and wants me to get tested but I've procrastinated on that because I didn't understand well what it was. Now Ive learned that this would mean my detox pathways are very weak and I need extra nutritional support to get them to work. I bought the book "Clean" from Alejandro Junger, one of the presenters, and I'm thinking of doing his detox program after I complete my W30.

Wow, that is a powerful attraction indeed!  :blink: How brave of you to cut it out. How do you feel now? Back to normal or better than with your coffee?

For me, I'm still constipated, which is really frustrating. However, I'm starting to understand what's going on in a new light after hearing that Detox Summit. My functional doctor thinks I have the MTHFR snip mutation and wants me to get tested but I've procrastinated on that because I didn't understand well what it was. Now Ive learned that this would mean my detox pathways are very weak and I need extra nutritional support to get them to work. I bought the book "Clean" from Alejandro Junger, one of the presenters, and I'm thinking of doing his detox program after I complete my W30.

I'm feeling good. I guess I don't even know what I felt like before coffee. Ha, I've been drinking it every morning for so long now. 

I feel very clear headed and much more able to concentrate, but I think that may have more to do with the removal of grains. 

I also am suffering from constipation. I guess not totally, but its not coming out with the frequency or volume that I am used to, and I feel like I am eating a lot of food. Where is it all going? I do feel like coffee would help on this front, but i'm looking for other advice on how to get back to regular. I eat a LOT of vegetables and leafy greens, so that's not the missing piece. I have been eating a sufficient amount of fruit, 1 or 2 pieces a day with my meals. So what gives? 

About the MTHFR, I've never heard of this, but If you need to detox more, it seems like starting right after the whole 30 would be a good "clean" place to begin. Maybe you wouldn't suffer as many detox symptoms and it would be a great starting place to allow your body to heal and cleanse its self even more. Plus it looks like that one is only 21 days, which will feel like nothing compared to 30! 

Don't you dare give up!!! Not when you've come so far! You may as well see it though at this point until the end! WE are in this together, and none of us have given up!!! Just think about the self satisfaction that you will have ion day 30. Think of your glowing skin and feeling great every morning! Also think of setting an awesome example to your daughter about setting goals and sticking to them! You can do this!!!! 

YOU CAN DO IT!  :D

Thank you.  I really needed that. 

My daughter hasn't completely abandoned the program just wants to go more paleo than Whole30 but I feel like that's missing the point of the 30 days.  You need the Whole30 days (hence the name) to "reset" your system.  I get that.  Not 11 days, not 15 days not weekdays with weekends off, 30 days.  Period.  You're right, of course, I can still set a good example.

linzeey28 Am I missing something?  You can still have coffee.  Just can't have cream and sugar.  I would have sworn pre-Whole30 that I could not drink coffee black.  But I have discovered to my surprise, that good coffee well prepared doesn't need cream and sugar so I do what your boyfriend does every morning. Grind the beans, French press, and drink it black.  I've read about people adding coconut oil and ghee and frothing it to get a facsimile of coffee with cream but that just sounds gross to me. 

Onward!

Yes yes yes, we can still have coffee.  I get your point, linzeey28.  It's for the reasons you named that I have given up coffee many times in the past.  It gets a strong hold on me and I don't like the dependance.  I can understand why you gave it up with the W30 too - just kind of a "I'm in control now, ____!" 

So, I for one, am impressed with you.  Not happening here, though.  I just took a break to visit the forum and, of course, have a cup of joe. I felt super-energetic this morning, but had to spend 3 hours in a car because of traffic on the way to and from an appt, and now I feel draaaained.... Traffic sucks life from you.  You feel it. 

So after this caffeine kicks in to give me a second wind, I have to go change the sheets in my son's room.  He's not here and guests will be staying in there, so I would prefer that the bed not smell like a 16-year-old boy.  Then it's on to the floors, and the patio, and other stuff that I'm hung up on getting cleaned before they arrive. 

I love this group. I read EVERYTHING, even though I don't have replies for them.  Julz, I'm glad you're sticking to it.  Negative forces are all over, and we need to fight for our own health and well-being. I didn't start with anyone, but my kids were supporting me well until my oldest child (who has always had excellent health habits) said something about it just being the "next yo yo diet for me".  I won't let it discourage me. 

How many of you have watched Food, Inc?  I would imagine a lot of us have.  It helps.  My husband and I found it in Spanish and watched it again. 

I think yesterday, day 11, was my "magic day" I finally got some great sleep and was full of energy and had clear thinking throughout. Today exactly the same. And no back pain, woohooo!

I have to have my work pants tailored this weekend as they are falling down now and they drag on the floor (almost tripped over them too).

If any of you use instagram I'd love to follow you. I post some meals on mine so feel free to follow me for ideas @trimhealthymum

I am slowly converting my office to try whole30, they are eating paleo (mmostly) and are often asking questions about what I eat.... and always ask what I am eating and get lots of compliments about the food I take to work. We will have a paleo office soon enough (apart from our vegan GM though I think lol)

Archived