August 4 Start Group

wvictoria

I think yesterday, day 11, was my "magic day" I finally got some great sleep and was full of energy and had clear thinking throughout. Today exactly the same. And no back pain, woohooo!

I have to have my work pants tailored this weekend as they are falling down now and they drag on the floor (almost tripped over them too).

If any of you use instagram I'd love to follow you. I post some meals on mine so feel free to follow me for ideas @trimhealthymum

I am slowly converting my office to try whole30, they are eating paleo (mmostly) and are often asking questions about what I eat.... and always ask what I am eating and get lots of compliments about the food I take to work. We will have a paleo office soon enough (apart from our vegan GM though I think lol)

I added you on Instagram. I have no good paleo pics but yours Are making me hungry!! Yum!

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I envy you trimhealthymum because I haven't felt the magic yet.  Just feels like I'm slogging through this.  Know what stops me from quitting....the idea that it's only day 11.  I tell myself "really, that's all you got, 11 days...wimp".

I'll go to bed now and wait for the magic tomorrow.  I may have to get up and go for a run. 

Day 13. I've had 8 hours sleep for the last 2 nights but I'm still tired. I'm also worried about being this depressed but I don't think it is anything to do with the Whole 30, apart from the fact I'm not treating myself with food and drink any more. I think it's other stuff, an accumulation of stuff.

Leftover chicken and chorizo soup for breakfast (our farmers market does compliant chorizo). Lunch will be leftover duck, dinner leftover duck....... :-) Might have a friend over for food later, he is a vegetarian, my son is a pescatarian and I'm paleo. Big vegi roast with cheese for them and duck for me is the plan.

I am so tired.

Me too ragbaby not tired but low level depressed which isn't my normal state of mind.  I do think it's the food.  If I've been managing to keep those feelings pushed down with food/drink then it makes sense that I feel them as more present without that "medication".  

I'm going to keep busy today.  I haven't gone for my run yet but maybe I will before it gets too late in the day.  

Day 13, 43.33% of the way to the finish line.  

I talked to my daughter and she's back on Whole30 so I can't use her as an excuse to drop out.  

Happy Saturday!  If the weather where you are is gorgeous like it is here on Long Island get out side and do something fun.  Sunshine is a great mood booster. 

Me too ragbaby not tired but low level depressed which isn't my normal state of mind.  I do think it's the food.  If I've been managing to keep those feelings pushed down with food/drink then it makes sense that I feel them as more present without that "medication".  

I'm going to keep busy today.  I haven't gone for my run yet but maybe I will before it gets too late in the day.  

I love your maths!

I'm generally pretty stressed out but I've been working on that a lot this year, now I just feel listless.

It's not sunny here, it's just turning to Autumn which is a gorgeous season here in the UK. I'm going to a cob wall building event later and my friend is coming over - trouble is he is one of my drinking buddies so it's going to be tough.

my friend is coming over - trouble is he is one of my drinking buddies so it's going to be tough.

That is tough.  What I did at my employee BBQ last week is immediately hit the bar for a club soda with lime.  I kept my glass filled and carried it the whole night.  I always had a drink in my hand so no one asked me if I needed a drink or offered me something other than my club soda.  My co-workers (at least the women who work in the office with me) know I'm on Whole30 so they didn't even bother.  

Back in 2004, before I was really dating my husband we were just musician friends and we used to attend each other's gigs.  I was in a classic rock band and he was in a jazz trio.  I had decided to give up drinking for a while in an effort to quit smoking.  He knew this because a mutual friend had told him that.  I decided to go to a bar where his trio was playing and had just about decided to fall off the wagon.  When I arrived the band was on break and he was at the bar enjoying a scotch and he looked at the bartender and said "A club soda for my friend here".  That one small gesture was enough to keep me on track for that evening.  It also showed me what kind of guy he was.  That is also the night we kissed for the first time.  A quick kiss goodbye but very memorable for me.  I eventually fell off the wagon and started smoking again and then after were married we both quit and haven't smoked in 10 years.  

The point of the story is get your drinking buddy on your side.  If she has your back then you'll do fine and keep a glass of something compliant in your hand during the party so it feels like you're drinking with your friends.  Club soda with a twist, club soda with a splash of real juice.  It does help. 

I talked to my daughter and she's back on Whole30 so I can't use her as an excuse to drop out.  

Happy Saturday!  If the weather where you are is gorgeous like it is here on Long Island get out side and do something fun.  Sunshine is a great mood booster. 

Julzology, I've grown to look forward to your percentages every day. They sound so much better than 17 days left; more like WOW almost half way!

Day 13. I've had 8 hours sleep for the last 2 nights but I'm still tired. I'm also worried about being this depressed but I don't think it is anything to do with the Whole 30, apart from the fact I'm not treating myself with food and drink any more. I think it's other stuff, an accumulation of stuff.

Leftover chicken and chorizo soup for breakfast (our farmers market does compliant chorizo). Lunch will be leftover duck, dinner leftover duck....... :-) Might have a friend over for food later, he is a vegetarian, my son is a pescatarian and I'm paleo. Big vegi roast with cheese for them and duck for me is the plan.

I am so tired.

Ragbaby, I've been really tired and blue also. I feel like I'm starting to come out of it, but I've also been sleeping 10-12 hours most nights (definitely not normal for me). On several nights, I would sleep 12 hours and STILL be tired. I think maybe my sleep deficit is almost caught up as the last two days have been a little easier and I've had a little better state of mind (even with the hives). It's funny, I don't like staying up late like I did when I would spend that time drinking and snacking :o. Some nights, I'm in bed by 8:30 with a book and asleep by 9. I think I'm going to be surprised by all the things that happen as a result of starting with food.

Enjoy the time with your son and friend. It sounds like a good way to lift your spirits!

I went out for a friend's birthday last night, and was pumped to see the place we were at had baked omelets made with no butter or oil on the menu. I ordered one with spinach, broccoli, and mushrooms; I actually had to be THAT diner and send the first one back, because it contained cheese (not listed on the menu), but the second one came out great. However, after I ate it I felt gassy and bloated the rest of the night. Did I inadvertently slip up? Am I stressing for nothing? I feel fine today but am I worried I should start over :(

That is tough.  What I did at my employee BBQ last week is immediately hit the bar for a club soda with lime.  I kept my glass filled and carried it the whole night.  I always had a drink in my hand so no one asked me if I needed a drink or offered me something other than my club soda.  My co-workers (at least the women who work in the office with me) know I'm on Whole30 so they didn't even bother.  

Back in 2004, before I was really dating my husband we were just musician friends and we used to attend each other's gigs.  I was in a classic rock band and he was in a jazz trio.  I had decided to give up drinking for a while in an effort to quit smoking.  He knew this because a mutual friend had told him that.  I decided to go to a bar where his trio was playing and had just about decided to fall off the wagon.  When I arrived the band was on break and he was at the bar enjoying a scotch and he looked at the bartender and said "A club soda for my friend here".  That one small gesture was enough to keep me on track for that evening.  It also showed me what kind of guy he was.  That is also the night we kissed for the first time.  A quick kiss goodbye but very memorable for me.  I eventually fell off the wagon and started smoking again and then after were married we both quit and haven't smoked in 10 years.  

The point of the story is get your drinking buddy on your side.  If she has your back then you'll do fine and keep a glass of something compliant in your hand during the party so it feels like you're drinking with your friends.  Club soda with a twist, club soda with a splash of real juice.  It does help. 

What a great story! That says a lot about your husband's character. And, congratulations on quitting smoking! That's a huge accomplishment. 

I'm also in a situation where the last weekend of my Whole30 will either be spent camping (traditionally that means smores and drinks in the woods) or a good friend's birthday party (who happens to be a drinking buddy). UGH. Both sound very challenging to me. I think your idea of keeping a club soda (or La Croix) in my hand at all times will help if we end up at the party, but I think it will be very very difficult. The food hasn't been hard to manage, the drinking... well.... I'm still missing it a lot. I'm hoping that by that point my mindset is more "I'm almost done, I'm not going to blow it now!" and not "Ah I'm at day 27... what's three more days?".

I also am suffering from constipation. I guess not totally, but its not coming out with the frequency or volume that I am used to, and I feel like I am eating a lot of food. Where is it all going? I do feel like coffee would help on this front, but i'm looking for other advice on how to get back to regular. I eat a LOT of vegetables and leafy greens, so that's not the missing piece. I have been eating a sufficient amount of fruit, 1 or 2 pieces a day with my meals. So what gives? 

(TMI alert) I gather this actually comes from mucous being liberated into your bowel as a result of the detoxification, and staying stuck there. Mods say: take magnesium to get things moving. A lot of folks say: do enemas or colonics.

About the MTHFR, I've never heard of this, but If you need to detox more, it seems like starting right after the whole 30 would be a good "clean" place to begin. Maybe you wouldn't suffer as many detox symptoms and it would be a great starting place to allow your body to heal and cleanse its self even more. Plus it looks like that one is only 21 days, which will feel like nothing compared to 30! 

Actually, the detox program begins with an elimination diet (including caffein), so a Whole30 is the perfect place to start. And another good reason to cut out tea & coffee...

How many of you have watched Food, Inc?  I would imagine a lot of us have.  It helps.  My husband and I found it in Spanish and watched it again. 

I did. Great movie. My favorite part is the poultry factory farm vs Joel Salatin's farm. Hungry For Change is also a good movie to show people, I think. I'm still looking for a movie that would promote Paleo living in a way that's convincing to people. Do you guys know any?

Oh and all my food cravings are gone. I don't miss cheese anymore and I've not even wanted tea or coffee the past few days either.

Good for you! And congrats on all your success! I started following you on Instagram. Nice!

I feel for you, Ragbaby. You know, I can relate. I've had my own load of stuff. I suppose, when you do something like this, everything toxic starts coming out of your body, and that's true for feelings too. On the bright side, after going through that in my first W30, I have felt much, much better. It's like those things did go away. I started to tackle new stuff better. Hang in there. You're in the worst phase, but trust me it's worth it.

What a lovely story!

I went out for a friend's birthday last night, and was pumped to see the place we were at had baked omelets made with no butter or oil on the menu. I ordered one with spinach, broccoli, and mushrooms; I actually had to be THAT diner and send the first one back, because it contained cheese (not listed on the menu), but the second one came out great. However, after I ate it I felt gassy and bloated the rest of the night. Did I inadvertently slip up? Am I stressing for nothing? I feel fine today but am I worried I should start over :(

It's possible the omelette contained some milk or flour. Or maybe is it just that you're not used to eating so many eggs?

Day 13 Whole 30, not drinking sucks. Met my bloke who was going to come over for fun this evening. He's just got a job and wants to celebrate. Fair enough but I can't be in a pub at the moment, I'm not to be trusted. So I sent him off to have fun and I'm at home crying a bit. I did the right thing, he would have come over to mine if I wanted him to but I could see that he really wanted to celebrate with a drink.

Cravings are beginning to hit me... It's like a Sugar Snake tempting me... "What good is this program doing you anyway?... Do you have to be a Taliban with your food?... A cookie from time to time is no problem... You're making yourself a burden to be around..."

My boyfriend is back home after a month away for work. Yesterday we went grocery shopping and he wanted some wine and cheese and bread, and my elder son had pleaded me to buy Nutella and cookies... I said, in an unsure voice: "You know, I've decided I'm not having those things this month". He said: "I know, I won't be offering you." So he's supporting me. But I tend to suppose if I suddenly decided I'm having something off-plan, he'll just raise an eyebrow, or maybe he'll even be happy I'm not doing that stupid diet anymore. It's me imagining... I'm not good at relying on people.

If I had had a spectacular weight loss on Paleo, or improved a diagnosed disease, like some many people, maybe I'd feel more assured. But I'm already thin, my issues are a foggy "feel-like-crap" syndrome no one sees. And, while I know Paleo has done me a lot of good, I still haven't resolved most of it. That's why I'm always hesitant to tell people about what I'm doing and I myself drop out of the wagon so easily...

I'm hoping that by that point my mindset is more "I'm almost done, I'm not going to blow it now!" and not "Ah I'm at day 27... what's three more days?".

Me too, exactly.  Labor day weekend.  I keep remind myself that this Labor Day isn't special, it happens every year and is no reason, no reason at all to bail with only three days left. But there's a part of my brain that keeps whispering "A Whole 28 would be fine".  

ragbaby, I know how you feel not drinking right now is totally sucking!!!

I actually just left my boyfriend at the bar (his class reunion) so that I could come home and make some food (not sure about the restaurant we are about to go to) I figured I had to log in here or I was going to throw in the towel! Ugh. its just SO fun and it feels SO good to have a couple beers and laugh with friends. Of course I'm still doing tons of laughing, but its somehow not the same. I also think a bunch of the people think I am trying to get pregnant, and I can't decide if its worth telling them i'm not, just on a diet… ugh, but I don't want to have to explain everything to all of them, and I know since they've had a few they will just try to convince me that one day isn't "that bad"…. reading all the posts on here has helped. I know we are all struggling. I am going to get a club soda in my hand with some limes!! my resolve seems to be strengthened, so HERE WE GO!!! We are so far in, no turning back now! 

so funny how attached i've become to this thread. Thank you all!!! 

Are you missing anything so far? Is there anything you are really looking forward to on day 31?

For me it's just drink, nothing else is bothering me. I think the summer holidays don't help - normally I wouldn't consider a pint at lunchtime during the week :-)

The only things I'm missing are dairy and alcohol.  I do enjoy having a nice glass of wine with dinner and I like cheese....and cream in my coffee.  

I guess I have to add bread in there.  I love bread.  I love to bake bread.  Where I live there are several excellent Italian bakeries and the bread is like nothing else in the world.   

ragbaby don't be demoralized, be encouraged!  

Here we are.  Day #14, 46.66667% of the way there.  Tomorrow is halfway (that's when we start to magically look like the girl in the pic LOL) 

I am reminding myself today that Whole30 isn't self contained.  At day 31 I don't go back to eating and drinking whatever I want having completed this "challenge".  Reintroduction takes 10+ days.  This, in many ways, is the most important part of the process.  How will I know what foods I am sensitive to without reintroducing them one by one?  

Going to have to change my thinking on that one.  

I am reminding myself today that Whole30 isn't self contained.  At day 31 I don't go back to eating and drinking whatever I want having completed this "challenge".  Reintroduction takes 10+ days.  This, in many ways, is the most important part of the process.  How will I know what foods I am sensitive to without reintroducing them one by one?  

Going to have to change my thinking on that one.  

I'm intending to try what I miss first, then build up the other stuff.

I love reading this posts.  I'm still here and still going strong (most days).  Since I really didn't have much going on this weekend I have  mostly been spending on food preparation.  Pretty successful..... beef broth, zucchini chips, pulled pork, chopped lots of veggies, etc.  Yay for me!!!

Mood wise, I feel I'm up and down.  It's funny.....I have a few friends to are wanting to start new diets/food programs/fastings right now, and I'm finding we are all "committed" to our personal program.  After reading all the literature, etc., I find myself getting irritated when they're doing things that don't sound sustainable.  I guess that's my lifetime of diets (and doing the same thing) coming out.  When I'm in a "good" place, I'm much more tolerant. 

Besides the forum, my favorite part of the website is the "knowing what to expect" part.  That has really come in handy. 

In regards to constipation, has anyone tried Swiss Kriss?  I think it's compliant.  A friend of mine was going through Chemo and the nurse suggested it. 

Julzology and Ragbaby....I'm in agreement.  I think the first thing I'm going to bring in on day 31 is wine.  That is really the only thing I'm missing right now.  My friends birthday celebration is on the evening of our 30th day.  That's going to be a tough one.  I'm going to try to to power through.  I guess it's about commitment. 

I have been very tired lately as well. But then again my work schedule has been more rigorous than usual. I'm tossing it up to work and the fact that I'm not eating as much veggies as I should. I keep hearing the mods on other threads suggest more carb heavy veggies like potatoes or sweet potatoes for increased energy levels. I do not eat sweet potatoes on a regular basis so maybe I'll add them into my rotation.

I almost threw in the towel last night (VERY stressful day) but instead I had my dinner and a cup of decaf with coconut cream and a handful of raw almonds. Then I went to sleep. I'm glad I towed the line because I feel better this morning and definitely would have been remorseful about going off plan!

Julz, I love the percentages you post! It helps me see how far we've come!

Archived