August 4 Start Group

wvictoria

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgot to introduce myself yesterday...33, mom of 1 and married. I work full-time and go to nursing school, so I'm looking to get eating under control before school starts again this month and the added stress that comes along with juggling life.

I'm so excited this morning (despite the headache). The Paleo Mom posted a link on FB to US Wellness Meats. They have sugar-free bacon! Unfortunately they do not ship internationally. They are currently offering 15% off any orders under 40lbs. They do have a minimum order of $75, and the meat is a little pricey, but I decided to give it a shot anyway. I ordered several types of bacon (beef slices, pork slices, beef tips, and pork tips) and some compliant salami. I will let you know if it was worth it.  Here's their website: http://www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok

Yay! so excited to be here!

I had made a post previously, but for those who didn't see it - a quick recap.

My name is Mandy,  I am 32 yrs young and live in Brooklyn, NY. I am originally from the UK and have lived here since 2006. I'm a married mommy of 2 boys (6 & 11).

I started yesterday and started a log in the "your logs" section titled "Mandy's log. My first whole30!! started 8/14/2014" - or something along those lines, so feel free to pop on over anytime. If any of you have started your own log i'd love to read it too, so please comment with your thread title so i can be sure to look out for it!

I use instagram to post most of my meals etc @trimhealthymum . anyone else here use it?

My first day went by fine. I made the Olive oil mayo yesterday and some of the seasonings from the Well Fed books. Today feel a bit iffy but seem to be improving as the day goes on. My hunger kicked in like clock work at 11:04 with its growl.

Anyway, hope you are all off to a great start!

We can absolutely do this - and we are definitely worth it!!

-Mandy

This support is awsome.  I am amazed of the geographical diversity and the great energy!!  I'm feeling a little lethargic this morning, but I'm sure it will pass.  Does anyone have any ideas for a restaurant breakfast??  I have relatives coming into town and they want to meet for breakfast. 

This support is awsome.  I am amazed of the geographical diversity and the great energy!!  I'm feeling a little lethargic this morning, but I'm sure it will pass.  Does anyone have any ideas for a restaurant breakfast??  I have relatives coming into town and they want to meet for breakfast. 

I am really nervous about going to restaurants, and will probably avoid if possible. You could order poached eggs (no scrambled b/c they might use milk and no fried b/c you don't know what fat they are using) and fresh fruit--make sure no sugar added. Stay away from sausage and bacon, because restaurants most likely do not use sugar and nitrite free. Maybe they have a steak and eggs option?

Today I mostly could not stop thinking about diet coke and snickers - it is my go-to snack for all occasions. I got really angry with 2 of my colleagues (who I sometimes wonder if they go out of their way to make my day harder). So I got some, I had a tiny nibble, and a tiny sip, and then I threw them away. I'm trying very hard to not see this as a failure, so I'll add the time on to the end. Any tips for staying committed in the face of adversity?

Today I mostly could not stop thinking about diet coke and snickers - it is my go-to snack for all occasions. I got really angry with 2 of my colleagues (who I sometimes wonder if they go out of their way to make my day harder). So I got some, I had a tiny nibble, and a tiny sip, and then I threw them away. I'm trying very hard to not see this as a failure, so I'll add the time on to the end. Any tips for staying committed in the face of adversity?

I am by no means an expert at this. It's my first Whole30, too; but, I do know something about coaching--I'm a high school English teacher. Yes, you need to start over tomorrow--Whole30 allows for no slipups--tough love. However, do NOT look at this as failure. You threw it away. You admitted to this post. You know you are facing adversity and are asking for help. Those are all signs of strength, not failure. You cannot rely on others for this. You have to do it for YOU. Other people cannot make you do anything. You make those choices. YOU.

This probably isn't the most healthy thing to do, but think about how much stronger you are than they are. You are going to have so much energy, feel so much better physically, feel so much better emotionally than your co-workers. When they are complaining about their petty aches and pains you can gloat (internally, of course) because YOU will be healthy! Don't play victim.

See if you can find someone at work who will be your partner. They don't have to be on Whole30, just someone who can take your mind off things if you start to get a craving and congratulate you everytime you make it to the other side of one of those cravings. The more people know about your journey, the easier it is to follow the rules--it makes you accountable, and people (generally) want to see you succeed.

YOU can do this. We are all in this together. You're worth every second of fighting those cravings. So you have an extra day added to the end. Big deal. We're talking about your LIFE here! Now pull up your big girl panties, and FIGHT for your Life!

I also started yesterday!  This is my second W30!!  I know what to expect now and having potatoes for energy before the gym is AWESOME!  My ONLY complaint last time was how tired I was.  I was dragging all the time.  So the potato thing is a positive for me :)  I am from Upstate Ny, but reside in Maryland now.  After my first W30, I still ate on track, but one thing I never went back to or had a desire to go back to is cheese.  I did NOT think that would happen.  I also buy mostly organic now.  I tried new things and am actually eating my fav dish now..spaghetti squash w/turkey meat sauce, the BEST!  People at work look at me like I have two heads when I get my food out at my desk.  They're eating fast food while I eat this.  That's ok, look at me all you want :)  I wish everyone luck!!!  Happy Day 2 everyone!!! 

Oh!  I wanted to ask others on here that have done a W30 before...I haven't been sleeping well and don't remember my last W30 with the sleeping...but, will I sleep better soon?  It's been an ongoing thing with me...i'm hoping this will help with that too.

thanks!

Hi, I'm from the UK and I've been working towards a whole 30 for some time. When I first started to try a paleo lifestyle my stomach just couldn't cope with much meat but I've built up my tolerance over the last year and I feel a whole lot better without wheat and sugar.
Trouble is I was paleo with 'treats' which means I'm more than half a stone overweight and sitting here in my biggest pair of trousers that are too tight. I've been sleeping really badly, get rosacea when stressed and I'm always stressed about something. I'm perimenopausal so I include a small amount of soya milk every day, I feel worse without it. Other than that the last 2 days have been fine. Today I started tracking (not sure if I can say what I'm using) and my ratios were 29% carbs, 30% fat and 36% protein, I would have used much more fat if I wasn't tracking!

I would love to sit and chill with a nice cold beer but it's not worth it.

Here's to a great month with long nights sleep and renewed energy - and a wardrobe full of clothes to fit into.

I have found that it helps very much to write down all of your food triggers and then write down ideas of how you will handle those situations as they arise. One of my biggest triggers is at work when people stress me out, or I feel angry and can't do anything about it. I used to head right for the vending machine. Now my plan is to walk the "long" way around to the other side of the office, fill up my water cup there and drink it on the way back. It may seem silly, but I've already done this 3 times in the past two days!! I find that having an immediate pre-determined solution to use instead of indulging in off-plan foods keeps you from simply reacting and then regretting it later. 

Another thing that I have found invaluable is support from other co-workers, I've told quite a few people about my plan for August, and they have actually been supportive without even realizing it! This morning I found out one co-worker and his wife have decided to do a whole 30 too! A few have asked me how it's going, and one even saw me with chips (for a client lunch) and said "Hey! Your not going to cheat are you? Its only day 2!" Even the co-workers who are less than supportive and think i'm crazy are helping to motivate me to prove them wrong! Telling people around you, even if they don't join in the challenge can help hold you accountable in times when you feel like giving in!

Keep in mind to be kind to yourself. It takes a lot of willpower to overcome old habits. Start over tomorrow and give it your all, YOU GOT THIS!!! 

Hi, all!

We're Natalie and Elizabeth from NYC and we're on Day Two as well. 

I'm amazed that there are really great resources already in this group - I just registered for the Detox Summit and I'm looking forward to it. We also decided to start a fitness/inspiration/recipe/OMGTHISISHARD tumblr and we can be found at www.robotsandsavages.tumblr.com! There are like four posts right now but hopefully we'll build to having a gajillion recipes, new and old, all yummy and helpful! (We take submissions too as we're taking this opportunity to learn to cook better so our original recipes probably won't happen for a while.)

With that said, I hope everyone's doing well. I know we're in The Hangover phase and Elizabeth is feeling that right now. Fortunately, I myself am feeling quite chipper - though this makes me worry a bit that I probably WILL kill all of the things come the end of the week.

Can't wait to share, struggle, and succeed with you guys! 

-Nat

Hi there! My name is Christine and I'm from Toronto, Ontario. I am a stay at home mom with two children, ages 3&5. This is Day 0 for me (original start date was at the end of July). I just accepted the fact that I have been allowing little slip-up's to creep into the last few days. So, I'm taking ownership of this and starting over and have vowed to complete a full 30 days with no slip-up's. This time around I will keep a food diary and work on some validations when I find myself tempted by a sugary something. I have had no problem giving up wine, buns with my hamburgers or chips on the side. My problem comes with eliminating sugar (like so many other people I know!). My mantra has been "Honour my health and I will heal". I keep this running through my mind when I am facing down the sugar dragon. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes! So great to be in on this with you all!

Where in the UK are you guys from? I lived in Manchester myself.

My day 2 has been ok actually, I had felt off and yucky this morning, slight headache but by 11 ish I was starting to feel better and after lunch felt pretty much normal (hmmm is that good? Is my normal a hangover? Lol)

Today I will be getting home late and will be as hungry as a bear fresh from hibernation - so thankful I have a stocked fridge with Whole30 meals!

How is everyone else doing?

Hi there! How's day 2 going?

Mine is a bit lousy, but I blame my lousy eating of last week.  :rolleyes:

Hi Christine55! Sugar is definitely the worst beast to conquer. Dr Mark Hyman calls it a poison and a drug that gets you hooked just like alcohol and tobacco and less legal stuff.

I started yesterday and started a log in the "your logs" section titled "Mandy's log. My first whole30!! started 8/14/2014" - or something along those lines, so feel free to pop on over anytime. If any of you have started your own log i'd love to read it too, so please comment with your thread title so i can be sure to look out for it!

I started one, it's called "Beli's second go - AIP". I'll look at yours.

You did just the right thing.

My tip is: be a cow-boy. You know, the lonely mysterious guy who doesn't care that the rest of the saloon is looking at him?

Oh!  I wanted to ask others on here that have done a W30 before...I haven't been sleeping well and don't remember my last W30 with the sleeping...but, will I sleep better soon?  It's been an ongoing thing with me...i'm hoping this will help with that too.

thanks!

I slept like a log after about ten days, I think. But a couple of people in my group had trouble sleeping all through their Whole30. Sometimes things take longer, or they need an extra boost with something that's not included in the Whole30. Like cutting off caffeine.

We also decided to start a fitness/inspiration/recipe/OMGTHISISHARD tumblr and we can be found at www.robotsandsavages.tumblr.com! There are like four posts right now but hopefully we'll build to having a gajillion recipes, new and old, all yummy and helpful! (We take submissions too as we're taking this opportunity to learn to cook better so our original recipes probably won't happen for a while.)

Hi Natalie and Elizabeth, welcome. Nice blog, I'll be on the lookout for your postings.

I started my second Whole30 on 8/4 too!  I'm 42 and live in Wisconsin.  I'm in the middle of training for my third marathon and just returned from a killer vacation in Yellowstone - what better time to get clean!  I'm looking forward to the "clean" feeling and the additional energy (I'll need it), but am cautious of that sugar dragon as I've been hitting the sweets hard over the last month.  I think it's easier the second time as you know what your in for (good and bad). 

Hi.  I am a 33 y/o female in Texas and started my first (real) whole30 yesterday.  I read ISWF last summer and was going to start a W30, but then found out I was pregnant and was a little overwhelmed with pregnancy, work, and life to start.

I have ALWAYS been overweight.  As far back as I can remember.  Sometimes more so than others.  I was a very active kid and a 3 sport athlete all through high school.  From 7th-12th grade I maintained a steady only-slightly-overweight weight.  As soon as i graduated high school gained over 120lbs in the next 3 years.  I had tried a bunch of stuff.  I still remained active (I was actually a PE major), but i just couldn't lose more than like 30 lbs.  So in 2004 I had weight loss surgery.  I lost 100 LBS in a year.  I looked and felt great, although, according to the charts, i was still technically "overweight".  i kept it off for about 2.5 years, and have steadily gained about 15lbs per year ever since.  The funny thing is that I barely gained any weight during my pregnancy until the very last month, and I now weigh 4 more lbs than I did the day I went in to get induced. 

This year in March, I had a baby boy who is the light of my life, and then in June, I lost my mother-in-law to diabetes/heart disease.  When my son is my age, I will be her age.  I NEED to lose this weight.  

I AM breastfeeding, but not exclusively, due to milk supply issues.  I am hoping this will help increase my supply.  I have tried EVERYTHING else.  Breastfeeding has NOT helped me lose weight, but it HAS helped me sit on my butt for endless hours during the day snacking.  I have been back at work since the end of April.  

So my husband and I started the W30 yesterday.  I am doing fine today.  Maybe a little "hungover", but good.  I work at a high school as an Athletic Trainer (not a personal trainer; those are two very different things; think sports medicine) and a PE teacher (2 classes a day).  I have a very demanding, erratic schedule.  I am really counting on my husband to be there for me and stick with it as well as my friends to support me even if they don't understand.  last week I had all of my bloodwork done and had my annual physical, and on paper, I'm the healthiest fat person you know, so my major goal is to lose weight.  

I have had a fairly healthy diet the last 5 years or so when compared to the SAD but it could be better.  I'm an avid baker (although not lately due to baby duty) and love food, but I am definitely passionate about eating "real" unprocessed food with ingredients you can pronounce, or better yet, making everything myself.  

So, my most important goal is to lose weight and improve the quality and longevity of my life.  I hope we can all find support in one another.         

Hi amnblack!

Just slipping a word as a nursing consultant (and please excuse me if you have already looked into this). Have you checked with someone competent if your baby's correctly? Here's a link to a great sheet by Dr Jack Newman in case it might be relevant to you:

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-MB

Anyhow, I'm sure cleaning your diet can only result in improvement. Maybe in supply, I don't know, but most certainly on nutrients for you and your baby. As you may know, if you are overweight, you are paradoxically at greater risk to be malnourished, and pregnancy and breastfeeding can be an added burden on your resources, as well as not giving your baby all that he needs. (I learned it the hard way). So congrats to you for doing the Whole30!  :)

Hi amnblack!

Just slipping a word as a nursing consultant: when milk supply isn't adequate, it's usually not something intrinsic to the mother, but rather due to problems with latch and/or schedule. Improving on this can unable you to breastfeed exclusively, if such is your wish. That's better for your baby and -who knows?- maybe for your weight loss goal. Here's sheet by Dr Jack Newman which you might find relevant.

http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-MB

Thanks Beli.  I exclusively breast fed up until 1 week before I went back to work and had NO milk saved because I wasn't able to pump enough to save.  Baby was literally drying me out and feeding almost every hour.  I tried SOOO hard and it still makes me feel bad.  when I got back to work and was pumping regularly, I was still about 1 bottle shy of making baby happy every day.  Then my work schedule got all crazy, I traveled all summer, and my MIL passed away so my BFing schedule was erratic, so now, when i'm not at work I spend as much time as possible trying to BF with NO increase in my supply.  It's been emotionally taxing on me more than the baby.  I wanted more than anything to not give any formula but he has to eat and if i had to guess, i'm only producing around 16oz of milk on a REALLY good day.  He's a super happy healthy baby.  I just hope that next time around (maybe in a couple of years) I will be healthy and fit and it might make a difference. I'm trying my hardest not to stress over it and just let it go.  Next month he will be 6 months old and we will introduce food.  I think i'm going to forego the cereal route and use real foods.  With my family history, I'd like to give him the best start possible.  

My day 2 hasn't been too bad. I was awake with a headache a lot of the night last night, but it went away once I was up and around. My biggest problem yesterday and today is my meals. I make myself a great meal, but I get full 1/2 way through. I mean FULL as in STUFFED. So I stop eating because I don't want to continue to stuff myself and get sick, but then about an hour later I'm having hunger pangs. I really focused during lunch and dinner today to eat slowly, but that didn't seem to help. Anyone else having this problem? Suggestions?

Amnblack, I edited my last message when on second thoughts, I saw it sounded insensitive. I'm sorry. It's so hard for a mom when things don't turn out just the way we wanted. You definitely made the best of your circumstances! 

And about the cereals: you're right! Worst first food ever! (apart maybe from diet soda :P ) A first solid food has to match mother's milk in being highly nutritious and low sensitivity. Sally Fallon, from the Weston A. Price Foundation, recommends liver with raw egg yolk.

I make myself a great meal, but I get full 1/2 way through. I mean FULL as in STUFFED. So I stop eating because I don't want to continue to stuff myself and get sick, but then about an hour later I'm having hunger pangs. I really focused during lunch and dinner today to eat slowly, but that didn't seem to help. Anyone else having this problem? Suggestions?

I know I feel this way today, as after every weekend where I indulge. I'd say fraction your meals as much as you need while it lasts, and just stop eating when you're not hungry anymore. Not every Whole30 day will be a perfect Whole30 day, and the beginnings are typically chaotic as the body adjusts.

Amnblack, I edited my last message when on second thoughts, I saw it sounded insensitive. I'm sorry. It's so hard for a mom when things don't turn out just the way we wanted. You definitely made the best of your circumstances!

And about the cereals: you're right! Worst first food ever! (apart maybe from diet soda :P ) A first solid food has to match mother's milk in being highly nutritious and low sensitivity. Sally Fallon, from the Weston A. Price Foundation, recommends liver with raw egg yolk.

Totally not offended. I appreciate resources. I try to read as much as I can about anything I struggle with.

Archived