August 4 Start Group

wvictoria

Day one flew by fairly easily. I definitely wanted a chocolate treat! Today was more of a challange as we were at the beach which means snacks and sandy food from coolers. I packed celery sticks, almond butter, and raisins in a tub to scoop and eat - Ants on a log deconstructed. That worked well. Dinner is the hard one because I am starving by the time I have to cook, so I want to sample everything. It is really hard not to absentmindly taste noncomplient food. A big family means lots of food around and while we are mostly gf, we are definitely not 100% paleo. I did have a slight headache throughout the day, but nothing too overwhelming. I am just really tired. Oh, and super sore from weight lifting. All of which makes me cranky. I am really looking forward to the energy improvement!

Amnblack - I'm still breastfeeding the 9mo. so I am watching to see how this affects my milk supply, too. I am also hoping for positive results as it has been hard to keep up with my little guy. I have had a couple babies that had to be supplemented due to low supply and I cried each time. It is hard when you know what is best and yet can't accomplish it no matter how hard you try. On a positive note, it has not been like that for every baby. So, hopefully, you next will be blessed with plenty of milk for your baby.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi! I actually started Aug 3, but I figure that's close enough. I'm a lawyer, representing people who are terminally ill from asbestos exposure. It's an incredibly rewarding job, even when it's sad. (Our clients die a lot. :c )  The upside? I get to travel a lot so I'm not stuck at a desk all the time. The downside, as far as this forum is concerned? FAST FOOD. It is really difficult to eat well on the road - airport food is the worst, and the majority of my clients/witnesses live in the tiniest little towns. The place I'm going Friday? They "eat out" at the BP gas station grill. So, I need to really plan ahead and figure out a way to make this work for me.  

Why am I doing this? Well, lots of reasons. I'm on high blood pressure and cholesterol medicine, and I'm tired of them both. Plus, my cholesterol is sneaking up again, and if I can't get it down naturally, my doctor is going to up my meds. BOOOOOOOOO. I choose not to let that happen. Also, as I told a friend earlier today, I look like crap all the time, even when I'm feeling great. My body is less a temple and more a trash pile in an alley, or at least it feels that way. I've been better.  I also really want to break a few bad food habits - eating Red Hots like they're popcorn. Eating popcorn (I love it, but I always feel crappy afterwards, so why am I eating it?!). The sugar beast. Eating out all the time because I'm too lazy to cook.

So, day 3, and it's the first time I've felt anything "off". Like, right now it's just after 10pm, and I'm actually a little hungry. This does not please me, but I know I can grab something healthy and make it through the night. (idk, a boiled egg? broccoli?)  Or I can just wait, and see if it passes. I'm going option B.

Anyway, I'm glad to be starting. I tend to be all gangbusters with fora (yes!) at first, and then forget about them, but I'll try to keep coming back!

I'm also going to track what I'm doing on a new blog - I'll pop in the address in my .sig line once it's ready for public viewing.

The-Ames

I can relate. I feel like a trash heap too. I used to get told I had "a pretty face" and I believed it, but in the last two years I feel like I've had a sharp decline in my appearance. And even when I feel good people ask if I'm feeling ok. This makes me sad...and want more chocolate.

Hi everyone. I'm Ann and I started my 2nd W30 on the 4th as well. I tried to start on the 1st but that didn't last very long so here I am! My first whole 30 was during the month if June and I felt great! I have mostly maintained a paleo way of eating and have tried to restart a whole 30 twice since then but have not been able to maintain the pace. I guess I got tired of all the prep work but I have since figured out that it is VERY worth it! I feel so good when I am strict. I did a lot of prep work prior to starting and got myself in a good groove.

A little about myself. I turned 50 in June and that is partly what spurned me to finally get healthy. I have 3 children 23, 20, and 17. And one beautiful grandson who just turned a year old. I was never 'overweight' until I became an adult. I gained and lost approximately 30 pounds repeatedly until after I started having kids. Over the course of 3 kids and really stressful life events I steadily gained close to 100 pounds and never lost it. Since January of this year I have lost 40 pounds and would like to continue. But more importantly is how I feel. The bloat is gone, the tiredness is gone, the puffiness is gone, brain fog is gone, energy level is up! I feel more like my old self again. I don't want to lose that. I can't believe how good you can feel just from changing what you are eating. I haven't starting exercising yet but would like to this time around....I finally have enough energy to give it a go. I love the forum and don't always say much but like to come for support and read everyone's story.

My favorite sites are

http://nomnompaleo.com

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com

And a really easy homemade mayo recipe using an immersion blender

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

Good luck everyone!

Ann

Day two complete and all is well......I think.  I was having this awful headache.  I thought it was my sinuses because even though we are having a major drought in California, the last two days have been cloudy with some rain.  However, I am thinking that I might be detoxing.  It's been a weird day.  One minute I might feel like I have a lot of energy, and then I feel like I need to nap.  What an adventure!!!

Well so far this isn't super hard but I don't feel especially great either.  As I read upthread that depends on how badly I binged before starting and I did drink a fair amount of alcohol over the weekend and indulged in cheese and sweets because there was a party.  

Here I am, day 3.  Just made juice for breakfast (apple, carrot, swiss chard, cucumber) we have a Samson juicer so my husband and I juice almost daily.  He's been buying exclusively organic since the Fairway opened in our neighborhood.  They have a huge organic section.  

Life is good.  I'm not complaining.  I have an employee picnic to attend next week, that will be difficult but I'm sure I'll manage. Hell, I might decide not to go.  

Hi everyone,

I started on Aug. 3 but since there was not a thread, so I will introduce myself here. I am 27 years old and breastfeeding my 4 month old, so I am doing this for us both.  I feel like my body needs a reset.  Also, for several reasons I feel that my daughter has some type of food allergy, so this will really help me with eliminating and eventually reintroducing some foods back in to find the culprit.  I ate extremely well during pregnancy and pretty good before but I have been making very poor food choices lately.  The quality of breast milk is only as good as what I am eating, so I want to better for us.  I have done pretty well the last few days.  My energy has hit a wall but I know that will eventually go away.  I do eat 1 to 2 snacks a day in addition to the 3 meals to ensure I am eating enough calories while nursing which is okay by the whole30 group.  I am excited to be doing this and it is nice to read all the different stories, which are inspiring.  

Hello Day 3! I am so glad to have all of you sharing your stories, struggles, and triumphs. Thank you @Beli for letting me know that I'm not alone with the getting stuffed/feeling hungry cycle. I did go on quite a binge the week before I started, so that's probably what I'm fighting.

I have to figure out more food ideas. I am already sick to death of chicken thighs, and I used to love them. I guess eating them every meal for the last 2 days wasn't a very good idea. I still have like 8 left in the fridge though. Maybe I'll cut them up and freeze them.

We have a leadership meeting/BBQ at my principal's house this afternoon. I'm making a big chopped salad with vinigar/oil dressing and bringing my own protein. Most of the people who will be there already know I'm doing Whole30, so that will help hold me accountable. I'm not worried about cheating-I'm worried that just seeing the "can't have" foods will make me grumpy.

Welcome to day 3 everybody!!! 

I am so feeling the hangover phase today, and a little bit of the "Kill all the things" phase. I am so easily upset this morning!! 

That said i slept like a baby last night! 

There is a pizza party at work today, I know its going to be a HUGE challenge to watch everyone eating pizza. I WILL STAY STRONG!!! 

I just keep trying to imagine all of the bad things that those types of foods do to your insides. If I get really graphic it sometimes makes them way less appealing! 

How is everyone else doing?! 

A big family means lots of food around and while we are mostly gf, we are definitely not 100% paleo.

So true! Even for not-so-big families.

People with families: Do you have to cook non-compliant meals for them, and then yours?

At the moment I'm alone at home with just my puppy (who's 100% paleo  :P ) because my sons are abroad on vacation with their father and my boyfriend is away for work. That makes it easier for me. Actually, this is the reason why I started now. I admit I'm a little worried about how I'll cope when they all come back. 

I'm a lawyer, representing people who are terminally ill from asbestos exposure. It's an incredibly rewarding job, even when it's sad. (Our clients die a lot. :c )  The upside? I get to travel a lot so I'm not stuck at a desk all the time. The downside, as far as this forum is concerned? FAST FOOD. It is really difficult to eat well on the road - airport food is the worst, and the majority of my clients/witnesses live in the tiniest little towns. The place I'm going Friday? They "eat out" at the BP gas station grill. So, I need to really plan ahead and figure out a way to make this work for me.  

Wow, this is a great job and a very challenging schedule indeed. Maybe when you have to eat out you can find some close-to-paleo meals, like steak & salad, hamburger without the bun, etc? Even if you can't always make it 100% Whole30 compliant, it'll still be much better than the regular fare and will make you stronger against cravings. Be sure to come back tell us how you're doing!  :)

Since January of this year I have lost 40 pounds and would like to continue. But more importantly is how I feel. The bloat is gone, the tiredness is gone, the puffiness is gone, brain fog is gone, energy level is up! I feel more like my old self again. I don't want to lose that. I can't believe how good you can feel just from changing what you are eating. I haven't starting exercising yet but would like to this time around....I finally have enough energy to give it a go. I love the forum and don't always say much but like to come for support and read everyone's story.

Hi Ann, welcome! Happy to hear you got such good results from your first Whole30. I'm looking forward to the same results. You'll rock this one. Be sure to come here if prep becomes overwhelming again and we'll try to pool some tips.

Day two complete and all is well......I think.  I was having this awful headache.  I thought it was my sinuses because even though we are having a major drought in California, the last two days have been cloudy with some rain.  However, I am thinking that I might be detoxing.  It's been a weird day.  One minute I might feel like I have a lot of energy, and then I feel like I need to nap.  What an adventure!!!

Yeah, sounds like carb flu...  ;)

Well so far this isn't super hard but I don't feel especially great either.  As I read upthread that depends on how badly I binged before starting and I did drink a fair amount of alcohol over the weekend and indulged in cheese and sweets because there was a party.  

Here I am, day 3.  Just made juice for breakfast (apple, carrot, swiss chard, cucumber) we have a Samson juicer so my husband and I juice almost daily.  He's been buying exclusively organic since the Fairway opened in our neighborhood.  They have a huge organic section.  

Life is good.  I'm not complaining.  I have an employee picnic to attend next week, that will be difficult but I'm sure I'll manage. Hell, I might decide not to go.  

It's too soon for feeling great yet.

That juice sounds nice! And juicing is supposed to help with detox. I suppose it has to be quite tart to not infringe the W30 rules?

I hope you don't shy away from going to your picnic. Can you bring something compliant to share with the others?

I have to figure out more food ideas. I am already sick to death of chicken thighs, and I used to love them. I guess eating them every meal for the last 2 days wasn't a very good idea. I still have like 8 left in the fridge though. Maybe I'll cut them up and freeze them.

We have a leadership meeting/BBQ at my principal's house this afternoon. I'm making a big chopped salad with vinigar/oil dressing and bringing my own protein. Most of the people who will be there already know I'm doing Whole30, so that will help hold me accountable. I'm not worried about cheating-I'm worried that just seeing the "can't have" foods will make me grumpy.

Appetite fatigue is definitely a thing!

Have a good barbecue! And look at those "can't have" foods with disdain.  ;)

Welcome to day 3 everybody!!! 

I am so feeling the hangover phase today, and a little bit of the "Kill all the things" phase. I am so easily upset this morning!! 

That said i slept like a baby last night! 

There is a pizza party at work today, I know its going to be a HUGE challenge to watch everyone eating pizza. I WILL STAY STRONG!!! 

I just keep trying to imagine all of the bad things that those types of foods do to your insides. If I get really graphic it sometimes makes them way less appealing! 

How is everyone else doing?! 

Same here!!! Pizza party at work. It will be a little tough because i just want cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese!

But, today i actually feel pretty amazing, a total 180 of yesterday! I have a ton of energy, was told im too perky today lol. I have very little aches in my back which is a MASSIVE relief from the chronic back pain i have suffered the last 2+ years. I didn't even need or want coffee this morning!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that i have bypassed the kill everything stage since i'm so chipper today. I do have a very slight head ache, but nothing major. We'll see, but if i feel like this for the remainder of whole30 then i think i'll be having a wholelife :)

Day 3!!!  It's been going great so far!  Only thing today I noticed is a slight headache.  I also went to bed really early last night and fell right asleep.  I was so tired!  I also worked a 12 hour day, so that could've had something to do with it. 

Some of your stories on here are amazing.  Just think though, the fact that you're on this forum to begin with, admitting your "weaknesses", and comitting to doing a W30...ALL positive things!!!  You're doing something about it and you have a great support system on here for sure!  Happy Day 3 to you all!!!

Anyone ever prepared acorn squash in a way that would be compliant?  I've found a couple recipes, but wasn't sure if anyone had a quick recipe :) 

Thanks!

-K-

Day -27, lol.  I haven't learned all the ins and outs of replying in this forum, such as how to quote.....  but I'm working on it. 

I didn't sleep well last night, and woke up late.  I hate that as it rattles my morning, then trying to get my breakfast and lunch together seem like a daunting task. 

Wvictoria...... I feel your pain of wanting variety!!  On many diets, (I could name at least 8) I have learned to play it safe and eat the same thing, but then I feel deprived and stray. 

I'm finding that I should have been better prepared with menus.  I tried one chicken recipe that was very good, but I don't want it all the time.  Mostly because I over-did the peppers and it's just a little too hot.  Recipe hunting is time consuming especially when it involves going to the grocery store. 

Just working out the kinks.......

Hey Everybody! I know I'm a bit late to the party but my boyfriend and I started on August 4th as well! My name is Shaunna, Im 31 and I live in Southern California. Currently, I work in sales but I am going into nursing school soon.

Day 3- I am feeling much better today. Yesterday was brutal- def. felt the hangover and I went to bed at 9p.m. which I dont think I have done since I was a child! Woke up this morning with surprising energy and finally getting use to my coffee with coconut milk! Anyway- wishing you all much success!

Hi. I am a 33 y/o female in Texas and started my first (real) whole30 yesterday. I read ISWF last summer and was going to start a W30, but then found out I was pregnant and was a little overwhelmed with pregnancy, work, and life to start.

I have ALWAYS been overweight. As far back as I can remember. Sometimes more so than others. I was a very active kid and a 3 sport athlete all through high school. From 7th-12th grade I maintained a steady only-slightly-overweight weight. As soon as i graduated high school gained over 120lbs in the next 3 years. I had tried a bunch of stuff. I still remained active (I was actually a PE major), but i just couldn't lose more than like 30 lbs. So in 2004 I had weight loss surgery. I lost 100 LBS in a year. I looked and felt great, although, according to the charts, i was still technically "overweight". i kept it off for about 2.5 years, and have steadily gained about 15lbs per year ever since. The funny thing is that I barely gained any weight during my pregnancy until the very last month, and I now weigh 4 more lbs than I did the day I went in to get induced.

This year in March, I had a baby boy who is the light of my life, and then in June, I lost my mother-in-law to diabetes/heart disease. When my son is my age, I will be her age. I NEED to lose this weight.

I AM breastfeeding, but not exclusively, due to milk supply issues. I am hoping this will help increase my supply. I have tried EVERYTHING else. Breastfeeding has NOT helped me lose weight, but it HAS helped me sit on my butt for endless hours during the day snacking. I have been back at work since the end of April.

So my husband and I started the W30 yesterday. I am doing fine today. Maybe a little "hungover", but good. I work at a high school as an Athletic Trainer (not a personal trainer; those are two very different things; think sports medicine) and a PE teacher (2 classes a day). I have a very demanding, erratic schedule. I am really counting on my husband to be there for me and stick with it as well as my friends to support me even if they don't understand. last week I had all of my bloodwork done and had my annual physical, and on paper, I'm the healthiest fat person you know, so my major goal is to lose weight.

I have had a fairly healthy diet the last 5 years or so when compared to the SAD but it could be better. I'm an avid baker (although not lately due to baby duty) and love food, but I am definitely passionate about eating "real" unprocessed food with ingredients you can pronounce, or better yet, making everything myself.

So, my most important goal is to lose weight and improve the quality and longevity of my life. I hope we can all find support in one another.

Amnblack, welcome. Your story sounds a lot like mine. My highest weight was about 120 higher than my lowest adult weight, the summer before freshman year of college.

still about 30-40 above where I'd like to be, however I've lost 80 since last july, so I know you can too! I had low supply with both of my kids, and it was on a low supply fb group that I first read about whole30! I'm hoping if I'm blessed with a third that my new paleo life will help with supply. Here's my 1 year story and I'm still going! You can do it, girl. http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/20213-living-whole-for-a-whole-year/

Same here!!! Pizza party at work. It will be a little tough because i just want cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese!

But, today i actually feel pretty amazing, a total 180 of yesterday! I have a ton of energy, was told im too perky today lol. I have very little aches in my back which is a MASSIVE relief from the chronic back pain i have suffered the last 2+ years. I didn't even need or want coffee this morning!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that i have bypassed the kill everything stage since i'm so chipper today. I do have a very slight head ache, but nothing major. We'll see, but if i feel like this for the remainder of whole30 then i think i'll be having a wholelife :)

This happened at the end of the school year where it was a pizza and hoagie party for the whole faculty. I brought my own lunch, and a few people thought I was nuts, but some others decided to start start a whole 30! Your strength and resilience could inspire others! Good luck. I've found that I don't feel left out anymore when I'm around people eating pizza and sugar and the like. Paleo/whole30 has removed that control that food had over me and I am so thankful for that. :-)

I started on the 4th too! ^_^ I am a 43 yo wife and mother of a 19 yo daughter.  I live in the DC burbs (actually in Virginia).  I am a phlebotomist in a pretty decent sized healtcare system, and thankfully not in-patient in the hospital anymore!  My first 2 days were pretty rough, and I was not looking forward to the "Day 3 Hangover", but day 1 and 2 were defintely worse for me.  I feel like I am not eating enough food...it's hard to re-wire all those years of dieting that told you to watch portions and calories...blah, blah, blah.  Would love to  join your support group!  :D

I started on the 4th too! ^_^ I am a 43 yo wife and mother of a 19 yo daughter. I live in the DC burbs (actually in Virginia). I am a phlebotomist in a pretty decent sized healtcare system, and thankfully not in-patient in the hospital anymore! My first 2 days were pretty rough, and I was not looking forward to the "Day 3 Hangover", but day 1 and 2 were defintely worse for me. I feel like I am not eating enough food...it's hard to re-wire all those years of dieting that told you to watch portions and calories...blah, blah, blah. Would love to join your support group! :D

To ensure your success, make sure you're eating enough! It helps so much. If you want to post a day or two example of what you're eating, we could perhaps make suggestions to keep you full and satiated.

This happened at the end of the school year where it was a pizza and hoagie party for the whole faculty. I brought my own lunch, and a few people thought I was nuts, but some others decided to start start a whole 30! Your strength and resilience could inspire others! Good luck. I've found that I don't feel left out anymore when I'm around people eating pizza and sugar and the like. Paleo/whole30 has removed that control that food had over me and I am so thankful for that. :-)

It seems like lots of people are struggling with work parties, outings, Bbq's, etc. I totally agree with CharDoll that Whole30 removed the control food has over me (most of the time). When the weakness of those moments set in I just remember the quote from ISWF "That Ain't Special". It's on page 227 in the gray box at the top:

"One thing we'll tell you right now-the box of doughnuts(or the open bag of pretzels, or bag of M&M's) sitting on the break room counter is not special. You're a grown up. You earn your own money. And if you want doughnuts, pretzels, or a bag of M&M's, you can walk right into any supermarket or convenience store and BUY them. These foods are not special. They're not homemade, or a once a year treat, and we're pretty sure they don't evoke fond childhood memories of sitting around the dining room table while mom pulls things out of the oven. Now, if a chocolate glazed doughnut is your favorite food in the whole world, that may be a different story. But don't indulge in something that's less healthy just because it's around. That's not a good enough reason in our book."

This quote got me through many a box of donuts sitting on the break room table. I repeated the mantra...that food is not special! Those donuts are NOT special! That pizza is NOT SPECIAL! Those homemade cookies, brownies, cake, etc...IS NOT SPECIAL!!! I am a big girl and can buy whatever I want whenever I want IF I wanted to! I CHOOSE not to! It has totally changed the way I look at that food sitting there!

We can do this. It is a choice we make each and every day. No one is perfect but if we fall, we just move to the next choice and try to make it a better one.

Beli wrote:

"People with families: Do you have to cook non-compliant meals for them, and then yours?

At the moment I'm alone at home with just my puppy (who's 100% paleo ) because my sons are abroad on vacation with their father and my boyfriend is away for work. That makes it easier for me. Actually, this is the reason why I started now. I admit I'm a little worried about how I'll cope when they all come back."

Beli, I don't make more than one meal for my family. However, I might make some things for them that I will not be eating. For instance, tonight I made lots of meatballs (some to freeze for later). I made a compliant spaghetti sauce, lots of veggies, and then I made pasta for them. I put mine over broccoli slaw. This is how I usually do my family meals. So far they have liked (or not complained about) new recipes or recipe changes.

Beli wrote:

"People with families: Do you have to cook non-compliant meals for them, and then yours?

At the moment I'm alone at home with just my puppy (who's 100% paleo ) because my sons are abroad on vacation with their father and my boyfriend is away for work. That makes it easier for me. Actually, this is the reason why I started now. I admit I'm a little worried about how I'll cope when they all come back."

Beli, I don't make more than one meal for my family. However, I might make some things for them that I will not be eating. For instance, tonight I made lots of meatballs (some to freeze for later). I made a compliant spaghetti sauce, lots of veggies, and then I made pasta for them. I put mine over broccoli slaw. This is how I usually do my family meals. So far they have liked (or not complained about) new recipes or recipe changes.

I do the same exact thing. If I make a grain or pasta for the fam, I just don't eat it. When people ask how I do it with two small kids, it's not much different from how I was cooking before, I just don't eat the grain now.

We can do this. It is a choice we make each and every day. No one is perfect but if we fall, we just move to the next choice and try to make it a better one.

I firmly believe in owning our choices. We don't slip - we choose to do the thing that we said we wouldn't do. By the same token, good health isn't something that's going to happen to us, we choose to eat the right things. Which means that not only do we own the bad choices we make, we get to own the good ones! And celebrate them! 

And I'm as happy as I'm going to get with the blog. Feel free to visit - http://amesville.tdsos.com

Archived