August 4 Start Group

wvictoria

Thanks CharDoll. Really helpful article. I like the idea of the canned sweet potatoes because I can just always have some on hand. I have a huge fridge in my office I can stock up every week. I also like the jicama and salsa idea.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chardoll ~ I commend your bravery to starting this prior to a big event!!!

Hehe. Thanks amron. This is my 4th whole30 during a year of paleo, so pretty used to parties by now! I did my first one last summer during which I spent 2 weeks down the shore (at the beach) with the family surrounded by hoagies and cookies and ice cream! My sugar dragon seems to be chilling out a bit finally. My trip to Italy really woke it up. Been chugging water today and feeling better.

Thanks CharDoll. Really helpful article. I like the idea of the canned sweet potatoes because I can just always have some on hand. I have a huge fridge in my office I can stock up every week. I also like the jicama and salsa idea.

last summer on the beach I brought compliant deli turkey which I wrapped around peppers then dipped in salsa and guacamole. That was a life saver. They have those individual packs of guac that are great for on the go.

Wow I too am a Philly suburbs whole30er in my 50's. First time and on day 3. Few surprises: I got nauseous late morning both yesterday and today; and how long it takes me to eat a whole foods meal - takes awhile to chew real food. Also, no headache as a result of stopping sugar. I literally ate sugar nonstop all day. Started day with 2 heaping tsp in coffee, and ended with dessert. Thought I would feel worse-not that I feel great, but it's not so bad if that nausea stays away! :)

Omg. I feel hungover. I think it is mostly jetlag and hunger and a bit of leftover carsickness. Lunch isn't served til 2, and the only snacks are cookies. F. I snuck inside and ate some chicken to tide me over but still feeling icky. Amazing how lack of sleep.can make me feel hungover.

Day 6. A whole week almost. Ha! Maybe I can do this. Though I dreamt of eating cookies last night. Funny because sugar has never been one of my demons. Bread...whole other story.

I'm feeling better today anyway.

Happy day #6 everyone. Coming back to this thread is helping me stay on track so thanks to all for sharing.

Hi All,

I am so glad to read all of your stories! Yesterday (day 5) was just awful. The previous days had been moving along so smoothly that I thought I was going to skip the detox symptoms, but, oh no, that was not to be. I took 2 naps, was super crabby but had no energy to even stomp around. Everything everybody did was wrong. I just wanted all of them to leave. me. alone! When dh came home, he picked up the baby and took everyone outside. I was grateful and yet, still irritated. Go figure. I couldn't lift weights. Goodness, I couldn't even T-Tap. Lifting my arms up made me want to cry.  I ate a plate of potatoes, onions, zuchinni, and fried eggs for dinner. Truly, that helped. I wonder if I am getting enough starches. Does that contribute to the headaches?

This morning has been so much better. I was even able to workout. Yay!

I am very interested to read about how everyone is handling travel and eating out. We will be camping at the beach for a week soon. That will be interesting, but I can plan for it. 

Just an FYI, In-n-Out can be a complient place to eat. I ordered a protein style burger with no sauce, just mustard. So, it's buger, lettuce, tomato, and mustard. It worked, but I really wanted the animal fries! Does anyone have other quick places to eat out? What do you order?

I have taught in schools in the past, but currently homeschool all my kiddos. It's fun to listen in on the teacher chat. 

Good luck everyone. Here's to a much better day 6!

amnblack - congrats on a successful night out!

CharDoll - that's a big trip to undertake on the Whole 30. Hope you are in a supportive environment. I agree with amron, kudos to you for following through anyway. You know you are making a life changing WOE (way of eating) when you do a W30 no matter what you have going on in your life! Good on you!

Sdubay, I feel your pain. I thought I would escape the symptoms because I haven't really gone too far off course since my last W30 but WOW! The last 2 days have been epic. Definitely a Kill All The Things time for me. By yesterday afternoon I was just wiped out and slept for 2 and a half hours. Today I feel a bit better but am still tired.

On a better note, I finally made Sunshine Sauce and OMG! Sooooooo good! Why didn't I make this before?!?! Oh yeah, I couldn't find sunbutter! If you guys haven't made it, you have to try this stuff. I just may put it on everything I eat from now on!

Forge on people. We can do it :)

So . . . am I the only person on here who doesn't feel any different? I mean, I've been a little sleepy now and then but I just started my period, and that's how I feel every month at this time. I feel exactly like I did last week.  EXACTLY. And it's not that I was eating a healthy diet before - cereal for breakfast and often for dinner, sandwiches for lunch all the time, mexican with all the cheese, pizza, spaghetti, sugar and carbs, sugar and carbs, sugar and carbs. Veggies if they came on a pizza.

So. I've been doing everything right, I think. None of the forbidden foods, more veggies than I've ever eaten in a day before, so many eggs. And free range! So - what's the deal?

I am enjoying this group so much, but I hate that I don't have time to respond to everyone that I want to. I read the updates in my email, but I can only log into the forum for a few minutes in the evening. I've been keeping up with my blog, so far, but I know that is going to be more difficult when I return to work next week, too.

I just wanted to congratulate all of your successes that I've been reading about. You are an inspiring bunch of fighters.

We are going to wake up to day 7! 24 hrs from now we will have an entire week under our belts!

I am really having trouble eating when I'm supposed to. I'm just not hungry at meal time, and when I force myself to eat anyway, I'm not enjoying it. But if I don't eat at meal time, I'm ravenous an hour later. I ate an entire canteloupe today. That is a reflection of my binging ways that I need to break.

I have my to-do list for my big cook-up tomorrow. Hopefully I've planned some things that will bring me through the next week without getting too bored.

Keep posting! You all Rock!

the-ames: I feel better for sure but i wouldn't call it magical. I'm overweight but I've eaten pretty nutritious food, even if they were the wrong foods. I know that doesn't sound right but to me it makes sense. I cook a lot at home and make a lot of my bad foods from scratch, so it's not like I'm gorging on Oreos and spray cheese. So maybe it has more to do with how much of the food you ate before wasn't fresh or homemade? Or maybe it's just a sign that your body works the way it is supposed to, because we are built to self-detox because of the way out kidneys and liver etc function. Maybe you have good ones :).

I'm so glad to be on Day 7! I really wasn't sure I would make it a week when I started this. I first learned of Whole30 on August 2nd, read most of the book on August 3rd, and started August 4th (so much for a Day 0). Physically I think it has all gone exactly as one would expect. Mentally though, I definitely feel clearer. I can't honestly say if it's the result of the food, or the sense of accomplishment of making it through a full week without caving (in spite of being surrounded by some really bad food choices - (every night my partner sits down to a glass of wine or two, my son enjoys his cheetos and ice cream, etc.). I haven't been tempted though. It's like my mind is so made up to do this, I don't even want that stuff. The hard part has been the exhaustion and crankiness (Kill all the things?). It makes me feel like maybe I have a stronger constitution than I thought I did. I will admit that several times a day I check out this sign that I have sitting by my work desk:

post-50213-0-44613600-1407689353_thumb.j

Day 7 in rainy England.

I didn't go out last night, even though I had childcare, I just couldn't face a gig without a drink. So I stayed in and ate rasberries.

I went out for a roast dinner with a friend today and just had meat and veg, it was easy. I didn't want yorkshire pudding and I really didn't want a biscuit wth black coffee. I knew it wasn't going to make me feel good.

Sleep last night was a bit rubbish, I stayed up too late so didn't get to sleep until about 1.30, however I don't feel that awful tiredness I have been feeling so hopefully tonight will be easier to sleep.

Tuni212- I feel the same about my resolve to do this. I don't think it's that I don't WANT a cookie, it's that, like the plan says, I have not allowed myself to even think of it as an option.

For a long time I knew I needed to lose weight, but I had just gotten to the point where I just didn't care anymore. I have decided that I care now. Since the passing of my mother in law way too soon, I have been telling myself how important this really is. And it seems to be working for me.

Day 7 reporting in.

We had a birthday dinner to go to on Friday and after much research on the restaurant, what to ask the restaurant, and what steps to take, we ended up making our own dinner beforehand and enjoying it thoroughly before joining our friends.

It worked splendidly! We were satisfied and happy, and not even tempted to take a swig of the dessert wine that I'd gotten my friend for her birthday, or of the cake that they brought out. Our friends could not stop talking about how different we sounded and looked (we both suffer from depression and anxiety that had reached new heights these past two years). 

That was our last really good day though. 

I'd been pretty lucky as I didn't grow up on a Standard American Diet and rarely have dessert. The first week was pretty breezy. Aside from having constipation issues (mostly I think because I gave up what little tobacco I smoked for this), I didn't experience a hangover or any grumpiness or cravings. For me, hell began on Saturday. The timeline's day 10 (when your body starts expecting its comfort food "reward") hit on my Day 6 and it was (and is) horrible. 

I realized I deal with my anxiety by having yummy (though not totally unhealthy) foods that reminded me both of home and comforted me - and those foods were not whole30 compliant nutritionally and psychologically. My cravings scrolled through aaalllll my comfort foods, and since I was and am starving my body of what it considers its "reward", I'm constantly overcome with sadness. The best way I can describe it is that my body is like a puppy or child that doesn't get its treat after good behavior:  "... Was I not good?"

I am very sad and very grumpy and my brain is 100% sulking at the prospect of whole30 foods for the next 23 days. I'm holing myself up at home simply because I have no doubt that I will snatch pizza out of some stranger's hand on the street. 

Hope everyone is doing well - be strong! I know I haven't been on the forum a lot but just knowing that you guys are here and supportive and working so hard to get through this makes me feel better. 

To everyone who has made it to day 7 - What a victory! You've done so well and you can do it and you will finish the whole30! 

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some sobbing to do.

- Nat

@Beli - thanks for saying that. I guess I should be happy that I've not had any really bad side effects, but it does make me worry that I'll miss the good stuff, too!

Eating dinner now (yes, I know we're supposed to sit at the table and commune with our food, but I'm living alone for now and get enough quiet contemplation). It's pretty good - the chorizo eggs from the Nom Nom Paleo app. I got brave and put in a jalapeno and hello, kick! I've never cooked with chorizo before. I was surpised at how greasy it is. But hey, whatever. 

Onward and upward.

I haven't had time to post for a couple of days but have been reading your posts. I was cranky day 5 and 6 and yelled at my hubby for eating cookies instead of sitting down to eat the meal I'd just cooked after working all day and then going food shopping lol. I did apologize a few mins later and he was fine, glad I'd given warning about it haha.

Currently roasting a chicken, making some lamb and steak. Just made a bunch of herb and spice blends from the well fed book and after this lovely fizzy water I will make my 3 different mayonnaise concoctions and prepare my grab n go salads for work.

My pants are fitting loose this weekend :D

Congratulations to everyone here making it this far! We got through the roughest days and we have so got this!! Woohoo!

Ugh. Another family party today. Plenty of compliant food (unlike there used to be, but my sis in law has done a Whole30 so she knows now how I eat) anyway, I did way overdo it on plaintains chips and sweet potato chips. Chips of all kinds are just a FWOB for me. Can't have just one. Feeling really bloated now just from the sheer volume I consumed. Oh well. Moving forward. Onward and upward. Not going to beat myself up any more.

So . . . am I the only person on here who doesn't feel any different? I mean, I've been a little sleepy now and then but I just started my period, and that's how I feel every month at this time. I feel exactly like I did last week.  EXACTLY. And it's not that I was eating a healthy diet before - cereal for breakfast and often for dinner, sandwiches for lunch all the time, mexican with all the cheese, pizza, spaghetti, sugar and carbs, sugar and carbs, sugar and carbs. Veggies if they came on a pizza.

So. I've been doing everything right, I think. None of the forbidden foods, more veggies than I've ever eaten in a day before, so many eggs. And free range! So - what's the deal?

I don't think I had any big "feelings" until well into my 2nd week my first go round. I wouldn't stress about this. Just ride the wave as long as you can! Everyone has a different experience. If you are truly stressing about it, you could post a question to the mods and give them a sample of what you are eating. They get back to you really quickly.

ragbaby maybe a piece of fruit?  

CharDoll I'm with you, can't control myself around chips.  And I have to be really careful about nuts too.  Any salty crunchy thing for me is hard to stop.  I think that's why not snacking is an important part of the process for me.  Not that I've managed not to snack mind you but I need to.  

yes, the first week I was feeling hungry after meals too.  I guess that means I'm not eating enough?  Could be.  I'm going to arm myself with plenty of food today at work.  I made soup with chorizo and collard greens over the weekend that's filling and compliant and I have organic avocados.  The bigger question for me is what am I going to eat for breakfast.  

I did manage to find bacon that does not have sugar.  Yay! Maybe it'll be bacon and eggs today.  I have some leftover grilled egg plant so I can get some vegtables in there.  

Happy day #8 everyone!  Good Luck!

On Friday, I found myself thinking of reasons why I would never be able to make it 30 days. I was thinking about what I would post when I "fell off the wagon", what others would think, and worst of all, what I would think. I ended up going out school shopping with my son, kept myself busy with housework, read a LOT of posts on the forum, and muscled through the time in between on sheer willpower. I was angry, depressed, and full of self-pity. And then, Saturday happened.

We were having a family get together with food I wouldn't be preparing.  I didn't want to make a big deal out of my food requirements, so I just requested that there be some kind of protein that I could eat. I said that I would take care of the rest..I was dreading it. And then, the miracle happened.

My daughter and her boyfriend showed up at my house with bags of groceries and started cooking. She'd made an attempt at a Whole30 a few months ago, so she knew the rules. They proceeded to cook (and clean up!!!) a delicious and fully compliant dinner for the whole group of us (baked lemon chicken, broccoli, olives, cherries, and blueberries). Although there were plenty of adult beverages, snacks, and deserts after the meal, everyone joined me in my dinner (and raved about how good it was). I felt so loved and supported (not to mention full) that none of the non-compliant after-dinner treats tempted me.  I did indulge in a delicious sparkling La Croix, that felt decadent and refreshing.

Now here I sit, ready to take on week 2, and with a little extra knowledge that I can make it through the rough spots and am blessed with a wonderful support system that I didn't even recognize existed. 

I hope everyone else made it through the weekend and is ready for success in week 2!

I think I'm going through the phase where my pants feel tight. I haven't weighed myself and I haven't eaten anything off plan, but I feel huge this morning. It's hard not to feel discouraged. But I'm trying to remind myself it's only been a week.

Archived