August 4 Start Group

wvictoria

I dreamed Sunday night that I ate French fries and was so mad at myself, because I was going to have to start over again!!  :o

Yesterday was the first day I've exercised (other than taking my dog Buster on leisurely walks) since starting the Whole30. I'm normally an avid Crossfitter, but I hurt my back several months ago and have been trying to get it to heal up ever since. I was modifying workouts in July, doing mostly overhead exercises - strict press, bench press, strict pullups - and avoiding anything (which is almost everything in Crossfit) that affects the lower back. It would start to feel better, then I'd push it too hard, and it would be sore and tight again. So, last week I finally saw an orthopedic, he couldn't really tell me much other than my X-rays were normal (and I have no pain radiating down my legs), but I decided to take a break completely from Crossfit during my Whole30. Instead, I got a deal on some pilates classes, and I'm trying to see if those will help my back. I just did my first class (in like 7 years) yesterday, and so far my back is feeling great.

I'm also hoping that by removing inflammatory foods during the Whole30, it'll also help my back heal quicker as well.

True story: I just went to eat the nectarine I'd packed in my lunch, and I took one bite and the whole inside was rotten :( Now I'm HANGRY!!! I didn't have enough fat in my lunch to tide me over, I'll learn my lesson for tomorrow!

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No dreams yet, but I've had them before.  It's so great to wake up and know they were just dreams!!!  Yesterday was my worst day.  I felt so tired and overwhelmed with what I had to do, and I really didn't HAVE to do that much.  Today I'm much better and I have a lot more energy.  I need to go shopping, though because I'm starting to get bored with what I've been eating.  Not good!!!

linzeey28 Thanks for the reminder.  I want to do a calendar and I just keep forgetting.  I'm just going to print it from word.  Might even give myself smiley stickers if I get through a particularly difficult day.  

Like today.  The employee BBQ and now, my boss has asked me if I would sing the national anthem before the dodgeball tournament.  (the dodgeball tournament is a big deal for the past few years).  I'm a bit nervous about that but I am committed to making it through tonight without drinking.  Food is easier to manage.  I brought some soup from home and am going to eat that before going so I don't get tempted because I'm starving.  

Tommorow will be 1/3 through the Whole 30.  That feels like something. 

All ok here on day 9 - on Sunday I've booked in to do a raw chocolate cookery class. My strategy is to eat so much before I go I can't face anything else, then to take stuff home and eat it when this is over.

Oh, I tried a dress on that I couldn't fit into 2 weeks ago - it' fits!

I'm getting ready to go to bed but wanted to report that I made it through the employee bbq with no problems.  Drank club soda with a twist, ate clams and shrimp from the raw bar and salad and some grilled chicken breast.  I tried a forkful of some cucumber salad but it tasted sweet so I left the rest of it.  

I also managed to sing the nantional anthem to start off the dodgeball tournament and actually got some compliments.  

It was a fun night but I'm glad it's over.  Funny thing was when I got home I really wanted a reward for my success and what immediately came to mind was a glass of wine.  Old habits die hard I guess. 

My boss, who started whole30 on Friday, decided to re-start tomorrow. 

Good night.  As of tomorrow we're 1/3 of the way through. 

Quick update! Bonefish is a FABULOUS restaurant for the Whole30 - one of the paralegals from another office is in town, so I took her and my favorite paralegal from our office out to dinner. The staff was incredibly accomodating - gave me a gluten-free menu, ran back to ask the chef what was in a sauce (was it just lemon juice and basil, or was there sneaky cream or butter?), and warned me about soy in something else. Bless! The food was deeeeelish, and I wasn't even tempted by the fresh bread they brought to the table. Yay, Bonefish!

I leave at the crack of dawn tomorrow for a three-day work trip. Wish me luck, although I'm feeling pretty optimistic about making it all the way through with no mistakes. Just gotta do my research, and since I'm driving, I'll have my car. I can grocery shop! 

Hang in there peeps!  I'll update the blog tomorrow but I gotta go to bed. xoxo

The-Ames, how ironic! I ate at Bonefish Grill today as well. I was so worried bc I also ate out on Sunday at Olive Garden. I found both places to be very accommodating. Both had gluten free menus AND the wait staff were very helpful. I would not dare eat out on my first whole 30 but this time I just don't want to be so restrictive.

At Bonefish Grill I had a salad with added avacado and dry, herb rubbed salmon on top. I asked for olive oil and vinegar with some lemon slices. Delicious!

At Olive Garden I had salmon as an entree with steamed garlic broccoli and a large salad. I worried about the Italian salad dressing there so olive oil and vinegar here too.

I did not feel deprived at either place. Their were other meat choices besides salmon, I just happen to love it.

Day 10! I should be celebrating getting this far but I just feel very flat.
I got 5 hours sleep then went back to bed for another 2 so I feel a bit groggy which doesn't help.

Breakfast (scrambled eggs, smoked salmon and avocado) made me retch.

I'm so fed up of thinking about food but I need a plan for the next couple of days.

Hi all, am lurking but not posting as v busy in work.

Sounds like folk are doing well, if going through some of the documented side effects like feeling crappy and tired!

Love to hear what people are eating as inspiration for meals!

Anyone else suffer from sinus?
Since day 6 I've been brewing what feels like an infection, I am on day 8 today and am really suffering, my usual painkillers/ pseudoephedrine etc is only taking the edge off.

Just wondering if this is a sign that I am detoxing or that the Whole30 is working?  Or am I just coming down with something?!  :unsure:

Otherwise all is going well and I am loving most of the recipes that I have tried.  Cannot grow to love sweet potatoes though, YUK!

ragbaby- Congrats on the dress and good luck this weekend.  I don't think I'm that strong!!  Also, I was feeling bleh on Monday.  Yesterday I cut out a little fat and I felt much better.  Maybe try adding some hot sauce or salsa to spice things up. I like spinach, mushrooms and hot sauce in my eggs.   Yesterday I had a chicken breast with cucumbers and avocado and it was nice and light and hit the spot.  I love to cook but I'm a minimalist.  I like a protein, vegetable, and maybe a starchy vegetable.  My husband always wants some form of potato, but I know that I can't do that every day (and neither should he) so I try not to. What have you been eating regularly? 

julzology- singing the national anthem is one of my secret dreams :)  I'd never have the courage to do it in front of people though.  AND I work with athletics so I hear other people sing it all the time.  Good for you!

Heyho ~ funny you say that about your sinuses.  I have also been feeling that way, but we have also been having weird weather, so I'm not sure which is the culprit.  I feel better today tho. 

I was getting very bored with meals, so last night I made some pesto (just basil, olive oil and walnuts) and added coconut milk to it in a saucepan and heated up some previously cooked chicken thighs.  Then added a few veggies and put it over spaghetti squash.  It was very delicious and I have leftovers for yet another meal.  Yay!!  I'm so tired of doing dishes.

Breakfast is the meal I'm struggling with.  This morning I added some TJ's frozen artichoke hearts and sun dried tomatoes to the veggie scramble and it was not so boring. 

if you go to pinterest and search "100 paleo breakfast ideas" there is a blog post with...you guessed it...100 paleo breakfasts.  some are reaching into the realm of "reconstructing junk foods", but there are lots of good ideas for inspiration.  

Thanks amnblack.  I will check that out.  I've been wanting to learn how to navigate pinterest, just haven't done it. 

Does anyone drink kambucha?  I saw it in another forum.  I'm thinking about buying some because I'm not sure I want to brew my own ~ kinda sounds messy.  I spend more time doing dishes and going to specialty stores than I have in a long time. 

Hi there!

Just stopping by to say hi and congrats on your progress: we're one-third through!

I've been very busy since my kids came back from their holidays, but everything's worked fine! We're all eating Whole30, and they don't even ask questions. Today's breakfast was hamburger patty and green beans with a little sauerkraut, and a desert of pears and berries. The only thing breakfast-y was a hot chocolate (homemade with honey, cocoa, water and just a splash of milk) for them and a tea for me.

I'm still not going through the typical W30 steps, good or bad. Elimination is still slow, I manage it with Epsom salts. On the other hand, keeping off forbidden food is surprisingly easy. How strange for a chocolate addict.

Have a good 10th day!

I started August 5th so today is day 8 for me. I have a ton of nervous energy that borders on anxiety and I have noticed my normally calm demeanor disappearing. I never yell and I yelled at my son the other day. He is two and he took my face in his hands and said Momma, we do not yell at each other, we talk and listen to one another. Is this going to pass anytime soon? I have read the timeline and I have to say I haven't felt the way I "should" on any of the days.

I recently completed the Fast Metabolism Diet and lost 20lbs so I have detoxed from sugar, dairy and gluten. I eat mostly organic produce. Do you think I am vitamin deficient? Or is something else going on?

amnblack I am a jazz singer and have been fronting my own jazz quartet for years and singing the national anthem is the most nerve shattering experience for me because it's always a big deal (even when it's not a big deal like my company bbq).  My boss jinxed me because he asked if I knew the words by heart and I said I did and he suggested that I carry them on a card in my pocket just in case.  I did not but just as I sang "Oh say can you see" I had a nano second of doubt as to the next line and immediately my humiliation in front of 200 people flashed before my eyes.  And then I went on auto-pilot and the next line came out and from there it was smooth sailing.  I even got some cheers when I hit the high note.  If you ever get the chance it will scare the sh#t out of you but you'll feel euphoric when it's finished.  

Oh and thanks for the paleo breakfast link.  I was having trouble with breakfast ideas. 

I challenged my daughter to 25 pushups yesterday only to realize to my horror that I can no longer do 25 pushups (knee style, not full body) in a row without stopping.  Man, I'm out of shape.  I've been running/walking but I haven't been weight training and my muscles are flabby.  Time to get moving. 

My co-worker brought in tomatoes from her dad's garden so we're having a tomato avocado salad with dinner.  Fresh, home grown tomatoes..what a treat.  

@DeeDee First, your kid rocks. Second, don't worry too much about the "timeline" - everyone's reactions seem to vary, going from even this small group. I haven't had ANY of the emotional reactions, just been a little sleepy. Others on this thread have enjoyed wild extremes. If you're concerned that you're not eating right, you can start a food log somewhere on this forum, or check with the mods. (because I am not a mod!)

I have successfully survived Day One of my three-day work trip - 3 hours in the car, leaving at FAR too early in the morning, a meeting at court, then another two hours in the car to the next thing. Food was easy, thanks to the wonder that is a smartphone. Breakfast - boiled eggs, a banana, and a handful of nuts in the car. Not a LOT of food, but it worked and got me through. Lunch (for which I was hungry at an appropriate time) - gyros salad from a great little Greek place. So good. Dinner (again, at an appropriate time, yay no snacking) - skirt steak with a tomato-based ranchero sauce that I grilled the poor waiter until I was convinced it was compliant, grilled veggies instead of the rice/beans (sob, I love the rice at Mexican restaurants), and a side of sliced avocado. And now I am pleasantly filled, and curled up in the hotel bed at 8:30pm, staring at all the work I have to do tonight and weeping silently inside.

I'm OWNING week 2.

On the other hand, keeping off forbidden food is surprisingly easy. 

I think you and I are the luckiest people on this board. None of the bad "detox" issues, and I'm not having trouble staying away from forbidden food either. I stared a warm pita in the face today at lunch and came out the victor.

Day 11 and the daily email talks about exercise, which I do not feel I have the energy to even think about.

I'm off on a day trip to the forest with a packed lunch of duck, mayo, cucumber and beetroot. Some brazils, a banana and a few dried figs.

There would have been salad with it but it's rained so much my lettuce plants have drowned.

ragbaby I'm with you on the low energy thing.  At least where my workout is concerned.  

I had pre Whole30 been on week 6 of the Couch to 5K.  I was regularly running 5k last year until I started experiencing knee pain post workout and so I stopped.  I subsequently figured out that my knee pain was related to high heeled shoes and not running so I started running again.  Using the Couch to 5K to get back into it.  

Anyway, this week, I dialed back to Week 4.  And I tried to run on Monday and quickly bailed.  After my weekend with the flu I just didn't have any energy so I turned around and came home.  Tried again today and made it through the workout but it was soooooo hard.  I thought dialing back to week 4 would give me enough of a break but no.  

And I think the answer is food.  I have never eaten anything pre-workout.  I get up, I put my running clothes on and I'm out the door in less than 10 minutes (I need to start running before I wake up enough to talk myself out if it) but I think I'm going to have to change that.  I think that because Whole30 is lower in carbs than my usual diet I don't have enough reserves to get me through the morning workout and I have to eat something.  

Problem is time, I'm going to have to get up earlier if I'm eating something pre-workout.  The Whole30 suggests 15-75 minutes before my workout.  As it is I get up at 5:50 and am out the door by 6:00 usually.  Does this mean wake up at 5:30?  I am going to try it.  

The other problem is what to eat.  I need something that doesn't require preparation or that I can prepare in advance.  I'm going to search the forums for suggestions.  

Anyone else experiencing low energy workouts?

Oh, and welcome to day 11!  36.666667% of the way complete but who's counting.  :D

Julzology, there should be some good suggestions for pre-workout food in the Whole30 for Athletes section of the forum. I mostly work out after work, but I tend to find I need carbs before I work out, so I'll have a banana or sweet potato with some nuts. It seems to work for me, but again, check the forums :)

I haven't experienced a lot of the detox issues, I had a headache at the end of day 1 and then was a little tired throughout the week last week (mainly after work). But I've noticed this week that I have a few breakouts on my face. What the what?!? I feel like a teenager again!!

JulOlogy and ragbaby- also remember that through this process your body is learning to be fat adaptive, which means your body is learning to burn fat for energy rather than glycogen, which could cause you to be sluggish in your workouts until you begin to make that adaptation.

Hi there!  :)

I started August 5th so today is day 8 for me. I have a ton of nervous energy that borders on anxiety and I have noticed my normally calm demeanor disappearing. I never yell and I yelled at my son the other day. He is two and he took my face in his hands and said Momma, we do not yell at each other, we talk and listen to one another. Is this going to pass anytime soon? I have read the timeline and I have to say I haven't felt the way I "should" on any of the days.

I recently completed the Fast Metabolism Diet and lost 20lbs so I have detoxed from sugar, dairy and gluten. I eat mostly organic produce. Do you think I am vitamin deficient? Or is something else going on?

Hi DeeDeeHoops! I think it's normal you didn't experience the typical detox symptoms since you had already taken the biggest offenders out of your diet. However, the W30 still brought you some changes, so it's quite possible that your yelling was a burst of "Kill all the things". I'd observe if the anxiety diminishes alone in a few days before looking for hidden issues. Meanwhile... a nice bath? Meditation? 

And now I am pleasantly filled, and curled up in the hotel bed at 8:30pm, staring at all the work I have to do tonight and weeping silently inside.

I'm OWNING week 2.

Why weeping? About the work? The clients?  :mellow:

Kudos for OWNING week 2. Way to go, girl!  :)

I haven't experienced a lot of the detox issues, I had a headache at the end of day 1 and then was a little tired throughout the week last week (mainly after work). But I've noticed this week that I have a few breakouts on my face. What the what?!? I feel like a teenager again!!

I got an enormous ugly zit on my forehead during my first W30. That's a typical detox symptom.  <_<

I was saying I was easily keeping off forbidden stuff, but I've noticed that I'm drinking more tea and coffee than usual. That is: in moments I would normally reach for some chocolate, I make myself a tea or coffee instead. I don't think that's too good. The goal is to change my relationship with food, not replace an addiction with another addiction. Plus, I'm feeling jittery this morning from too much tea. And I have a slight headache, which is also what I experience when I eat sugar. I read that caffein has an affect on blood sugar, I guess that's the reason. Anyway, I'm thinking I'll try to keep my tea/coffee consumption in the pre-W30 level, and maybe even try to eliminate them. What do you think? Has anybody experienced something similar?

I'm right there with you. my face is looking TERRIBLE. that being said my body is actually starting to feel okay, bloating going down, energy level more constant etc. 

I just keep thinking about all the crap built up inside me, and how its finally coming out. hopefully by day 30 my skin will be glowing! 

Archived