Starting August 11

AJoyfulMelody

Hi all

I started on 11 Aug as well so would love to join this support group.  From everything I have read having people you can bounce ideas off is one of the keys to success.  I live in Australia so many of the products / shops that lots of people on this site refer to are not available here so if there are any other Aussies here shout out so we can share tips!

I generally eat fairly healthily - although I am prone to treating myself a little too regularly and too many wines on the weekend.  I'm doing the Whole 30 to help my thyroid issues and weight.  Most importantly to regain some missing energy.  I've got a lot I want to do in life!

My meals so far have been:

Day 1

1: scotch egg, sauted spinich & mushrooms, cherry toms

2. chicken salad with home made mayo

3. osso bucco, sweet potato mash and green beans

I also had a coffee with almond milk mid morning.  It was OK...not sure I am a fan of almond milk.

Day 2

1. breakfast meatloaf, sweet potato mash, avocado, cherry toms

2. scotch egg, basil/cashew nut pesto/ salad

3. chicken cashew vege stir fry with cauliflower rice

Today I had a coffee with coconut milk - much better it felt like an ultimate treat!

Cheers

Clarissa

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all, I sort of enjoyed today eating 3 meals which is a completely new experience for me. I had smoked salmon, tomatoes and strawberries for breakfast, coffee with unsweetened coconut milk, roasted salmon over cabbage sautéed in coconut oil and a nectarine for lunch, roast chicken, roasted sweet potatoes, chicken broth and cantelope for dinner. I had a tablespoon, ok 2 tablespoons of almond butter a couple of hours later even though I wasn't hungry. I was just really really craving sugar. I a trying to understand why and I guess I am used to eating sweets at night so I will have to figure out how to avoid that craving. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to close up the kitchen in the evening?

I also broke up with my scale today and asked my husband to hide it for 30 days. I think not weighing myself is going to be a challenge because I normally weigh myself every day and I will be afraid thati a gaining instead of losing but hoping I will be able to stay with it.

Wishing everyone a great day tomorrow!

Susan

Hey Susan,

I make myself a cup of liquorice tea in the evenings - totally natural but gives you a sweet flavour if you can't get past the cravings for sugar.

Day three for me today and I feel like hell. My colleagues are all telling how rough I look (brutally honest) and I can barely keep my eyes open! Face is all puffy, I have a spot (out of nowhere?!) and my tummy is bloated... Considering skipping my bikram yoga class later and just going to bed. Does anyone who has been through the program before have any advice re keeping up with exercise vs catching up on sleep?

Hope you're all feeling good and keeping strong - and good luck for day three!!

Leila

I also started on the 11th.  The first day was a great success.  Day two is looking good.

I did panic a little yesterday about finding compliant toothpaste.  Finally I found on here that since you spit it out, toothpaste is acceptable since it seems to be impossible to find one without added sugar.

I signed up for the e-mails and the Day 1 message was perfect because it emphasized the fact that chronic systemic inflammation is at the heart of metabolic syndrome which my doctor told me is one of my biggest challenges.

So here's to eating Whole30, being healthier and beating metabolic syndrome.

Good luck all.

Heather

Hi everyone. Day one today for me... I think I ate too much food even though it was allowed food. Let me know what you think...

Day 1

Breakfast

Warm water and Lemon. (To aid digestion)

2 poached eggs, spinach and half an avocado.

A cup of Dilmah rose with French Vanilla tea...

I love the tea... It is Pure Ceylon black tea with French vanilla and rose flavours. Am I allowed to have this? I'm not sure.

Lunch

Steamed vegetables: carrot, peas, spinach, broccoli, suede with salt, pepper, paprika and Italian herbs.

1 boiled egg

1serve of chorizo

Organic chai with coconut milk

Dinner

Sautéed vegetables: spinach, broccoli, cabbage with turmeric, Italian herbs, salt and pepper

Homemade rissoles: organic beef, onion, garlic, Italian herbs, tomato paste, salt, pepper, egg, coriander.

All cooked in 1 tablespoon of ghee.

Snack

6 strawberries, a handful of macadamia nuts

3 cups of organic chai with coconut milk

Exercise

50 minutes of gentle yoga

30 minute walk.. Average pace

What do you think?

I'm feeling bloated now... Like I've eaten too much! Do you think I had too much tea? Also, I tried not to snack but was really hungry at 5pm!

I'm also still on my naturopathic regime and I'm wondering if this is why I'm feeling bloated. I take quite a few pills including fish oil, multivitamins, evening primrose, thyroid support, cell rejuvenation and my blood pressure pill. I wonder if gelatin is allowed as many of my vitamins and minerals are housed with gelatin. I also took garcinia cambogia. Not sure if I should leave that off for the duration of the whole30 or not...

If anyone can help with my questions I would be grateful.

Off to bed ready for day two! :)post-50431-0-09634500-1407848658_thumb.jpost-50431-0-70356700-1407848757_thumb.j

Oops... How do I delete this? I meant to send it as a private message. How do we delete posts we don't want up anymore?

Hi Clarissa

I'm in Perth :) Where are you?

Meg

Hi all

I started on 11 Aug as well so would love to join this support group. From everything I have read having people you can bounce ideas off is one of the keys to success. I live in Australia so many of the products / shops that lots of people on this site refer to are not available here so if there are any other Aussies here shout out so we can share tips!

I generally eat fairly healthily - although I am prone to treating myself a little too regularly and too many wines on the weekend. I'm doing the Whole 30 to help my thyroid issues and weight. Most importantly to regain some missing energy. I've got a lot I want to do in life!

My meals so far have been:

Day 1

1: scotch egg, sauted spinich & mushrooms, cherry toms

2. chicken salad with home made mayo

3. osso bucco, sweet potato mash and green beans

I also had a coffee with almond milk mid morning. It was OK...not sure I am a fan of almond milk.

Day 2

1. breakfast meatloaf, sweet potato mash, avocado, cherry toms

2. scotch egg, basil/cashew nut pesto/ salad

3. chicken cashew vege stir fry with cauliflower rice

Today I had a coffee with coconut milk - much better it felt like an ultimate treat!

Cheers

Clarissa

Thank you! I'm buying that book today. I keep on running into recipes from it that I like. 

I slept like hell Sunday night so I'll admit I fell asleep on the couch without eating dinner last night. Woke up starving of course but I still had some frittata in the freezer and a salad with added veggies pre-made so it's all good. Definitely need to make sure that I keep pre-made stuff around.

Ran into a thing of my favorite queso that I missed in the initial pantry purge. It went straight out to the big garbage can for pick-up. I don't crave sweets. I crave cheese, ice cream, and other fats. 

I had a pretty good day one yesterday.  My biggest challenge was not snacking at work and not snacking while food prepping last night.  I have a super bad habit of constantly wanting to snack at my desk, especially in the afternoon and also while I am cooking.  Whenever I got the urge I had to ask myself, are you actually hungry or not?  I only had one small snack yesterday at work and that was between breakfast and lunch and I actually was hungry, I didn't want to eat my lunch too early because I was worried I would be hungry again before getting home for dinner.  I had a small handful of cashews/macadamia nuts and that satisfied me.  Caught myself wanting to munch on some stuff while prepping todays lunch last night, all good stuff but still.  I think it is also helping that I'm drinking a lot more water.  Totally gave up my morning coffee because I was only drinking it for the sugary sweet creamers and replacing that with water for now.  It terms of how I felt yesterday it's hard to say, I had to wear my glasses all day (usually wear contacts) and when I have to do that I can usually count on a persistent headache all day, which did not disappoint.  In terms of digestive issues not too bad, much better than a "normal" day.  

Here's what I ate:

• Breakfast (6:45a): 2 eggs, ground turkey, 1 handful peppers/carrots, 1 roma tomato, cooked in EVOO, ½ handful blueberries

• Snack (11a): Handful of nuts, cashew and macadamia  

• Lunch (12p): Spring lettuce/spinach, chicken, black olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, mango, EVOO/balsamic dressing, sliced almonds

• Dinner (5:15p): Spring lettuce/spinach, turkey/pork mix, tomatoes, cucs, black olives, EVOO/balsamic dressing

Need to be careful of my fruit intake I think, other that I think okay.  Added a little shredded potato to my breakfast this morning to hopefully avoid a mid morning snack.  

Day 2...I'm craving sweets like crazy!!! Anyone else having this problem? I really hope these cravings go away soon it's making this all so much harder...

I find that I increase my fat intake, cravings decrease. Coconut oil (cooking or eating off the spoon) is great! Could just be in my head??

I find that I increase my fat intake, cravings decrease. Coconut oil (cooking or eating off the spoon) is great! Could just be in my head??

thanks i'll give that a try! i did use a good amount when cooking maybe i'll try eating 1/2 an avocado with dinner or something...mostly i think its just the habbit of having sweets a certain time of day tahts making me crave i so much...

Day 2

Did not sleep well last night.  I had trouble falling asleep and I woke up many times throughout the night.  Woke up at 0530 and immediately made a skillet breakfast with eggs, ham, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, and peppers.  I was not hungry at all but I force myself to eat a cup of the skillet breakfast at about 0600.

I was hungry again by 0900 which continued until I finally got to eat lunch about 1230.

Lunch was roasted white potatoes, 1/4 baked chicken breast and some spinach.  

Stayed relatively full until dinner time at 1730.

Dinner was one baked chicken thigh, a vegetable stirfry and a spinach/tomato salad.

I got extremely sleepy at around 1900 but started reading and keeping myself busy until bed time.  Going to hit the sack around 2200 as normal.

YES!!  Eat more fat at breakfast really helps my sugar cravings late in the day.  the move from running on sugar to running on fat is a big change at first, but feels awesome once your body makes the switch!   Olives, coconut milk, olive oil, avocado, and nuts in an emergency are my sources of fat.  I only count fat from meat when I eat bacon or ther really fatty meat.

I hope no one minds me piggy backing, I too started August 11th, today is my day two. I feel a little groggy and spacey but otherwise ok. Last night was a challenge, snacking after dinner has become the norm for me so I found myself wanting to eat things, even though I had a good dinner and wasn't really hungry. I slept alright last night but wanted to murder my poor fiance this morning, but that's partially his fault for eating enchiladas for breakfast! I'm a bit of a fat phobic due to my stomach issues but I am attempting to get in all my fats in a day. 

My doctor recommended I try this after I went to see her for hip pain (turns out I have sciatica) and expressed my concern over continued weight gain and stomach problems. I had my gall bladder removed almost two years ago after losing 100lbs, I subsequently gained 60 of that loss back and have chronic stomach issues. I believed carbs were the only thing keeping things "normal" but now I wonder if they were just making things worse. Is anyone else gall bladder-less?

I see a lot of people eating bacon, sausages and such, I'm curious what brands as I spent over an hour at the grocery store looking at labels only to find they all had sugar! Super frustrating so any tips would be great. I also am not a super big fan of chicken, and I've chocked it down for two lunches in a row now. I'm going to school part time and work full time, live with my fiance and two dogs so fairly busy. Any ideas on time savers or quick lunch ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

I hope no one minds me piggy backing, I too started August 11th, today is my day two. I feel a little groggy and spacey but otherwise ok. Last night was a challenge, snacking after dinner has become the norm for me so I found myself wanting to eat things, even though I had a good dinner and wasn't really hungry. I slept alright last night but wanted to murder my poor fiance this morning, but that's partially his fault for eating enchiladas for breakfast! I'm a bit of a fat phobic due to my stomach issues but I am attempting to get in all my fats in a day. 

My doctor recommended I try this after I went to see her for hip pain (turns out I have sciatica) and expressed my concern over continued weight gain and stomach problems. I had my gall bladder removed almost two years ago after losing 100lbs, I subsequently gained 60 of that loss back and have chronic stomach issues. I believed carbs were the only thing keeping things "normal" but now I wonder if they were just making things worse. Is anyone else gall bladder-less?

I see a lot of people eating bacon, sausages and such, I'm curious what brands as I spent over an hour at the grocery store looking at labels only to find they all had sugar! Super frustrating so any tips would be great. I also am not a super big fan of chicken, and I've chocked it down for two lunches in a row now. I'm going to school part time and work full time, live with my fiance and two dogs so fairly busy. Any ideas on time savers or quick lunch ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Hello and welcome!! I am pretty busy myself (work/school full time), but have learned to love bagged salads, with pepper, and deli ham. Applegate (which can be found at trader joes or whole foods) makes a good deli ham, which helps me out on nights when I have long classes. Also, if you look up a recipe for mayo, a quick tuna with mayo dipped with veggies can be an awesome quick go-to meal. Those have been my go-to meals on school nights when I have tried this before. Applegate, I believe, also has sausages that are whole-30 compliant. If you do a quick google search "whole 30 sausages," then you probably will be able to find something. 

That, and have a night where I cook, chop, and prepare veggies/meats. If you don't like chicken, perhaps try cooking up some turkey burger (either in patties or just scrambled) that you can just grab during the week. That way you have a starter meal, and won't feel tempted. That helps me out during the week when I'm at work/school more than my apartment. 

As for bacon, I personally have never found any in a grocery store that is whole-30 compliant. However, I'm pretty sure you can find some on this website: 

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok?type=banner&&affId=108183&&img=eatgrassfedbeef.gif

Hope this helps!!!! 

Hello and welcome!! I am pretty busy myself (work/school full time), but have learned to love bagged salads, with pepper, and deli ham. Applegate (which can be found at trader joes or whole foods) makes a good deli ham, which helps me out on nights when I have long classes. Also, if you look up a recipe for mayo, a quick tuna with mayo dipped with veggies can be an awesome quick go-to meal. Those have been my go-to meals on school nights when I have tried this before. Applegate, I believe, also has sausages that are whole-30 compliant. If you do a quick google search "whole 30 sausages," then you probably will be able to find something. 

That, and have a night where I cook, chop, and prepare veggies/meats. If you don't like chicken, perhaps try cooking up some turkey burger (either in patties or just scrambled) that you can just grab during the week. That way you have a starter meal, and won't feel tempted. That helps me out during the week when I'm at work/school more than my apartment. 

As for bacon, I personally have never found any in a grocery store that is whole-30 compliant. However, I'm pretty sure you can find some on this website: 

http://www.grasslandbeef.com/StoreFront.bok?type=banner&&affId=108183&&img=eatgrassfedbeef.gif

Hope this helps!!!! 

Thanks for the input, I'll have to look around and see if I can find Applegate here (I live in Alaska) I haven't been able to thus far. We don't have a Trader Joes here or a Whole foods. The turkey burger idea is a good one, thanks! I also can't find any tuna that doesn't have soy in it *sigh* there are some distinct disadvantages to living in Alaska sometimes for sure. On the plus side, next month we get our very own grass-fed side of beef from one of the local farms here! Super excited about that. I spent Sunday evening chopping veggies in prep for this, so I'm feeling ok on the amount and variety of veggies I have. But yeah on the days I go to class, cooking is much more difficult as there is a time crunch for us. Thanks again for the tips, I think this weekend I might head over to our whole foods store and see if they have any Applegate or some other option!

Also started on the 11th!  I almost pushed back our start date as my car went into the shop on the 8th and I still don't have it back - wouldn't normally be an issue, but I'm having some issues with my knee and can't walk far right now or ride my bike.
Luckily, I keep the pantry pretty well stocked.  Saturday morning, I sucked it up and walked over to the farm stand a few blocks away to pick up veggies.  We have chickens, so a steady supply of organic eggs tides us over when we need them.

My husband and I are doing this together.  We eat relatively healthy already and have access to lots of local humanely raised meats, but a reset is definitely in order, along with just wanting to get back into the groove of working out more, taking better care of my aging body.

Hi Everyone!

Started yesterday too. My first day I avoided a work breakfast with THREE TRAYS of sticky buns that sat in our office the entire day. I also gave my chocolate away and had to turn down chocolate today as well.

I was hungry yesterday, but I really enjoy drinking hot tea. Tazo has some organic rooibos options that taste great.

Ghee, coconut aminos and Adele's chicken sausage (apple one is compliant) will definitely be my lifesavers.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Day 2 is finally done, yay.

It was really hard to stay the course today.  Having the WORST day in ages and all I wanted was a carton of ice cream and a large glass of wine.  Luckily I had neither of those!

Dinner tonight was a balsamic vinegar/coconut aminos chicken recipe I found online and it turned out terribly.  It was so bad that I threw out the leftovers.  Lunch tomorrow is going to be interesting as I'll need to find something to replace what I hoped would be lots of leftover.

Archived