Starting August 11

AJoyfulMelody

Megsymoo, you sound just like me!

I have PCOS as well, a couple years ago they found a rather large nodule in my thyroid which was not cancerous but it's pretty bothersome (other than that, they never found anything "wrong" with my thyroid although I suspect otherwise), I've got undiagnosed endrometrioses plus the beginning of a fatty liver, etc.

Start on the 12th! that way you can come along with us.

For me, I'm just waking up on Day 1.  A little nervous about no coffee since I usually drink it with cream and sugar.  But I'll muddle through I hope.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting today too! I'm really nervous, considering I tend to be a binge eater, and sugar and processed foods are my downfall. I am hoping that the Whole 30 will help calm my cravings. I just want to feel (and be) healthier. Weight loss would be a lovely added bonus, but it's not my focus. It will be hard for me to put away the body scale AND the food scale (I've dieted and weighed/measured my food for about 20 years), but I am committed to doing it. My family isn't doing this with me, but I don't have any tempting foods in the house (goldfish and cheez its don't do it for me!). So... Here we go! Good luck everyone!

I was overjoyed to find that my favorite salsa is compliant. Go 505 salsa! Everything else had modified food starch or sugar in some form. I'm having frittata and green tea for breakfast with some added veggies and of course that salsa. I'll probably have that frittata again with different veggies for lunch. I don't get bored easily with foods except veggies. I can have the same chicken for weeks but I have to change up my veggies. 

They say fill the rest of the plate with veggies. What size plate are we talking here? Full size dinner plate or lunch plate?

The hardest part of today for me is going to be not having my daily coke zero. I normally grab a can from the vending machine on my way in. I stopped drinking it at home almost a month ago. I need to find a green tea I like cold or get a good thermos. I like my Stash tea hot but it tastes "off" cold.

I'm starting my first Whole30 today as well!  I originally wanted to start Aug 1st but 2 weekends of big events in a row right away, I decided I better set myself up for success and wait.  I did start the pantry purge and made an effort to follow the concept, while still using up the bad stuff.  Definitely splurged on some things though this weekend knowing they would be gone for awhile, and noted that I felt like crap afterwards!  My biggest reason for doing a Whole30 is digestive issues, I'm tired of feeling like crap all the time.  Other goals though are kicking my bad snacking/grazing habits, weight loss and just a generally healthier lifestyle.  My husband will eat whatever I make with no complaints, but won't go all in, says he could never give up peanut butter.  But he will definitely be supportive and helpful.  The biggest challenges for me will be the snacking thing and also stayed ahead in meal prep because half of my evenings my dinner time is very short due to running off to job #2.  But I'm really looking forward to seeing improvements in my overall health and how I'm feeling.

I started yesterday so am on day 2 but would love to be part of this group for a bit of support anyway :)

I'm coeliac and have been almost completely sugar free since the beginning of lent (I followed Sarah Wilson's I Quit Sugar programme) and though I've noticed loads of improvements giving up fructose - I feel that there's still something missing.

After recently having a string of endoscopies with no concrete results I have decided to take things into my own hands and find the answer myself!

I'm a pescatarian so a lot of the recipes on the Whole30 feeds aren't really applicable to me, but I love all fish and seafood so am not too worried. The one thing I'm struggling with is the fact that I'm now allowed to eat fruit again - having had nothing but the odd portion of berries for months it feels like I'm rule breaking.

Today's meals have been so far:

Breakfast:

Home-brewed ginger kombucha

2 egg and veggie 'muffins'

Black coffee

Lunch:

Large green salad with smoked salmon, half an avocado, sweet peppers, cherry tomatoes and cucumber

Apple cider vinegar and olive oil dressing

1 orange

Sparkling water

I have a bikram yoga class straight from work so dinner will be whatever I have the energy to throw together! Not feeling any 'hangover' symptoms yet but I've definitely been thinking more than I should about a large glass of merlot...think I've discovered what the hardest part of this month will be for me!

If anyone would like a buddy for (pescatarian or otherwise) whole30 meal idea swapping or general support and enthusiasm then hit me up! Having been through (a horrendous) sugar withdrawal several months ago I would love to be able to share advice and tricks on how to get through it without losing your mind/friends/job.

Also please feel free to follow me on Instagram, Pinterest or Twitter - lots of recipes to be shared :)

Twitter: @LeilaWilko88

Instagram: leilawilkinson

Pinterest: Leila Wilkinson

My name is Mandy and I'm starting today! Super excited to see where this will wind up. Fighting headaches for years, sugar cravings, emotional roller coasters, some depression, and various other symptoms which seem to have to rhyme or reason. Love nutrition and have been on a plant based path for years. Have been encouraged by my practitioners to try more meat and to do a Whole 30 for about a year now. I'm finally doing it.

Starting today! First time. I am a mother of two and married to a very hungry husband. I'll be doing it solo. So happy I found this. I have chronic inflammation with bouts of extreme fatigue and pain. WIth my little ones, I can't have these symptoms! 

Hope everyone makes it to the end! Kitchen is prepped and waiting. Here I go...

I was overjoyed to find that my favorite salsa is compliant. Go 505 salsa! Everything else had modified food starch or sugar in some form. I'm having frittata and green tea for breakfast with some added veggies and of course that salsa. I'll probably have that frittata again with different veggies for lunch. I don't get bored easily with foods except veggies. I can have the same chicken for weeks but I have to change up my veggies. 

They say fill the rest of the plate with veggies. What size plate are we talking here? Full size dinner plate or lunch plate?

The hardest part of today for me is going to be not having my daily coke zero. I normally grab a can from the vending machine on my way in. I stopped drinking it at home almost a month ago. I need to find a green tea I like cold or get a good thermos. I like my Stash tea hot but it tastes "off" cold.

It depends on the type of veggies, a whole plate of butternut squash would be too much, but a large plate of spinach or lettuce leaves seems reasonable.   I ususally have about two cups of low starch veggies per meal, and when I have sweet potato or something like that it would be able 1/3 to 1/2 of the veggies I am eating.  Hope that helps.

Let's go - Day 1:

Breakfast: Kale, mushroom frittata with 1/2 avocado

Lunch: bacon, chicken with sauteed collard greens and red peppers, olive oil, green banana

Dinner: meatball soup with salad, olive oil dressing

My goal on this Whole 30 is to cut out the nut butters and nuts.  I know I have a problem with them, they make my skin itch and it is too easy to go nuts with nuts!!

I too, started today. 

This will be my second whole 30, but my last one was last fall. 

I have been palo since then but have been indulging way to much lately. 

I know I need to be grain,sugar,and dairy free.  This whole 30 I hope will get me back on track.

i am going to be journalling the 30 days here.  Looking forward to doing this will you all!!

AMY

It's great to see so many fellow Wholers :)

I'm done for day 1 - had eggs & bacon for breakfast, egg & olive salad for lunch, then organic steak & broccoli, carrots & cauliflower 4 dinner, with a few nuts. Wasn't hungry at all :) ... but I'm not looking forward to tomorrow as yesterday was a wild binge day, which at least gave me the motivation to do this W30 & do it quick, but the sugar comedown will be baaaaad!!

Hope uv all had a good first day??

I'll be starting August 11th too. Today is "The Great Pantry Purge". B) I normally bake my own bread so I literally have about 30 lbs of flour that needs a new home. I also have lots of bulk baking ingredients such as various types of sugar, chia, instant milk, 5 grain oat mix, etc. I'm going to post the bulk stuff on Craigslist. I can't see tossing that much food in the trash but I know it will be a temptation if I keep it in the house. Sandwiches are my normal go-to meal.

I'm going in early morning on the 11th to get a blood test for Celiacs so this may be the last time gluten is present in my home without sneaking in. I'm so tired of chasing nutritional deficiencies that I've paid out of pocket for the test rather than go back to the doctor. An otherwise healthy 24 year old should not need supplements but so long as they can throw a pill at it they aren't interested in the root cause.

I'm single so I'm splurging on a decent vacuum sealer. I just can't eat some foods fast enough to not have them go bad unless they're very well sealed.

Keep the chia!

Done with Day 1 as well!

Meal 1 - Eggs, bacon and sauteed mushrooms&peppers

Meal 2 - Tuna with guacamole with a large salad and balsamic vinegar

Meal 3 - Chicken burgers with avocado and a baked sweet potato

I did realize that I need more greens in my meals.  Spinach, Kale, etc.  are going on my shopping list for tomorrow!

I have to admit day 1 was much harder than I expected! I've been paleoish for a while and thought that would give me an advantage but it really didn't. Not sweetening my coffee was difficult & I attempted to switch my second cup to tea but I didn't like that much either so I spent most of the day being super tired without my real caffein fix. I realize now I need to pack a bigger lunch and I need to have it later in the day since I'm used to snacking after lunch. I'm usually a grazer so not being able to pick all day was harder than I thought it would be. It's just such a habit that several times today I almost picked up junk food without I even realizing it!!! The excitement I had when I was preparing for this is gone right now I just feel like it's going to be a long 30 days! Hopefully it gets easier like the book says....anyone else feeling slightly discouraged???

Day 1 again! Breakfast was italian sausages with sauteed peppers, onions and tomatoes. Lunch was a chicken salad and dressing using the homemade mayo I made. Dinner was a beef roast I put in the crock pot this morning with onions, carrots and celery.

Here's hoping the next 29 days go as well as day 1! My biggest challenge today was eating breakfast as soon as I got up (rather than relaxing over my coffee), and chasing away thoughts of my scale. Day 2 goal is to get better meal plans and food prep so I don't leave anything to chance. Your posts are keeping me inspired! Thanks!

I have to admit day 1 was much harder than I expected! I've been paleoish for a while and thought that would give me an advantage but it really didn't. Not sweetening my coffee was difficult & I attempted to switch my second cup to tea but I didn't like that much either so I spent most of the day being super tired without my real caffein fix. I realize now I need to pack a bigger lunch and I need to have it later in the day since I'm used to snacking after lunch. I'm usually a grazer so not being able to pick all day was harder than I thought it would be. It's just such a habit that several times today I almost picked up junk food without I even realizing it!!! The excitement I had when I was preparing for this is gone right now I just feel like it's going to be a long 30 days! Hopefully it gets easier like the book says....anyone else feeling slightly discouraged???

Hang in there! Those habits die hard, but it doesn't take long before you notice yourself feeling/looking/being better. Sticking to 3 meals will be tricky for me too. When I've eating paleo before, I would often go long periods without eating. This retraining takes some time and effort...but it will be worth it!

Hope day 2 is better!

I've been on the road and just got back home. Starting day 1 tomorrow (8/12). I'm looking forward to eating healthy after a summer of traveling and eating anything and everything. Keep it up ladies, I'm encouraged by all of your day 1 posts!

Hi all, I sort of enjoyed today eating 3 meals which is a completely new experience for me. I had smoked salmon, tomatoes and strawberries for breakfast, coffee with unsweetened coconut milk, roasted salmon over cabbage sautéed in coconut oil and a nectarine for lunch, roast chicken, roasted sweet potatoes, chicken broth and cantelope for dinner. I had a tablespoon, ok 2 tablespoons of almond butter a couple of hours later even though I wasn't hungry. I was just really really craving sugar. I a trying to understand why and I guess I am used to eating sweets at night so I will have to figure out how to avoid that craving. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to close up the kitchen in the evening?

I also broke up with my scale today and asked my husband to hide it for 30 days. I think not weighing myself is going to be a challenge because I normally weigh myself every day and I will be afraid thati a gaining instead of losing but hoping I will be able to stay with it.

Wishing everyone a great day tomorrow!

Susan

Hi, I'm Joanie and I started the whole 30 on August 11.  I suffer from asthma and rhinitis.  I also hit a midday slump around 2pm that includes exhaustion and crankiness.  I would like to try the whole 30 to see if I can get rid of the upper respiratory ailments and the midday slump. 

As an added benefit I would like to lose some belly fat.  Lately the fat has been leaving my thighs and settling around my belly.  I am 5'7" tall and 150 pounds right now.

On my first day I ate:

2 fried eggs over spinach and ham

1 sweet potato with butter and salt

1/4 chicken breast, half a sweet potato and a lettuce/tomato salad.

I was excited to use the salad as the ingredients were gifted to me from my neighbor out of her garden!

Archived