Starting August 11

AJoyfulMelody

I hope it is cool that I join in too. I'm starting tomorrow, so a couple days behind your group, but I really am going to need the support. I read through many of the posts, but stopped at this one because this is exactly why I didn't get started with the Aug 1 group... or the Aug 4. I'm fed up with myself, so no more restarts. I will definitely need the support, though!!

I have to admit day 1 was much harder than I expected! I've been paleoish for a while and thought that would give me an advantage but it really didn't. Not sweetening my coffee was difficult & I attempted to switch my second cup to tea but I didn't like that much either so I spent most of the day being super tired without my real caffein fix. I realize now I need to pack a bigger lunch and I need to have it later in the day since I'm used to snacking after lunch. I'm usually a grazer so not being able to pick all day was harder than I thought it would be. It's just such a habit that several times today I almost picked up junk food without I even realizing it!!! The excitement I had when I was preparing for this is gone right now I just feel like it's going to be a long 30 days! Hopefully it gets easier like the book says....anyone else feeling slightly discouraged???

I've done multiple Whole30s, and other than sugar and some gluten-free stuff, I stay paleo in between. Ok, the sugar has gotten out of hand, that's for sure. I notice now that my first two days of Whole30s are now what used to be day 4-5 "Kill all the things." This makes it extraordinarily hard to really get going because in the first day I can't even figure out why on earth I would even want to make myself that miserable. In the past, having 4 days under my belt already gave me enough motivation to keep going, but when you are on your 1st day feeling like that, oooh, it is hard! 

So, I'm preparing myself for this misery tomorrow and the next day. I have a lot of food already cooked in my refrigerator, I have given all my money to my husband to take to work with him for the next 4-5 days (my sugar dragon is brutal right now, so relying less on willpower), and my kitchen is spotless. I'm going to post in this group if that is cool with you all, don't mean to throw off your daily counting mojo. I'm going to make it through this week and do this thing already!

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello! I'm jumping into this thread. I am doing the whole30 for the second time with my best friend. I ended up missing how in felt physically and mentally. Today was the same as any other day, but I feel cleaner. I am struggling with sugar cravings and I'm wrongfully resorting to fruit as my fix. I may be doing this whole30 longer than 30 days, I would love to stab the sugar dragon once and for all!

Hi everyone. Day one today for me... I think I ate too much food even though it was allowed food. Let me know what you think...

Day 1

Breakfast

Warm water and Lemon. (To aid digestion)

2 poached eggs, spinach and half an avocado.

A cup of Dilmah rose with French Vanilla tea...

I love the tea... It is Pure Ceylon black tea with French vanilla and rose flavours. Am I allowed to have this? I'm not sure.

Lunch

Steamed vegetables: carrot, peas, spinach, broccoli, suede with salt, pepper, paprika and Italian herbs.

1 boiled egg

1serve of chorizo

Organic chai with coconut milk

Dinner

Sautéed vegetables: spinach, broccoli, cabbage with turmeric, Italian herbs, salt and pepper

Homemade rissoles: organic beef, onion, garlic, Italian herbs, tomato paste, salt, pepper, egg, coriander.

All cooked in 1 tablespoon of ghee.

Snack

6 strawberries, a handful of macadamia nuts

3 cups of organic chai with coconut milk

Exercise

50 minutes of gentle yoga

30 minute walk.. Average pace

What do you think?

I'm feeling bloated now... Like I've eaten too much! Do you think I had too much tea? Also, I tried not to snack but was really hungry at 5pm!

I'm also still on my naturopathic regime and I'm wondering if this is why I'm feeling bloated. I take quite a few pills including fish oil, multivitamins, evening primrose, thyroid support, cell rejuvenation and my blood pressure pill. I wonder if gelatin is allowed as many of my vitamins and minerals are housed with gelatin. I also took garcinia cambogia. Not sure if I should leave that off for the duration of the whole30 or not...

If anyone can help with my questions I would be grateful.

Off to bed ready for day two! :)attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

I'm struggling with the thought that I am eating too much as well, it's an odd thing to sit down with a knife and fork for three meals a day.  I am just really trying not to snack (haven't yet) and feel positive that most of the meal is vegetable.

Day 2 down! Have been able to stick with the Whole 30 rules and am enjoying making and eating much more...rather than the mindless consumption I was doing. Feel better during the day, but by 7 pm am wiped! Happened across a tasty salad pick-me-up by accident...a small bit of olive oil with a squeeze of lime juice. Still looking longingly at my scale...it's hard not to keep track that way.

Wish you success with tomorrow's challenges!

Thanks for the licorice tea suggestion. I will try it! Unfortunately, I, like many of you, have felt these intense cravings for sugar. No, I'm not hungry for fish and broccoli-i ate 3 really good meals today with plenty of protein, fat and veggies. It really was a perfect whole 30 day and then it was 8:00 pm, the kids were asleep, and I just wanted, no really felt like I needed something sweet. I tried to talk myself out of it but I had 8 dates and a handful of almonds. I know that is technically compliant but I'm so disappointed in myself that I couldn't resist the urge. And the problem with eating one date is that you then want more of that sweet taste. It's so helpful to know that many of you are going through the same feelings, urges. I'm trying not to be discouraged as I know it's taken many years to gain this weight and develop these habits, so I don't expect success overnight, but the book says it's not hard or it's not hard to compare to things that are really hard, but I guess at that moment when you really want sugar, it just feels hard. If you are feeling the same, I would love to hear from you!

I am on Day 17 and have been doing really well until I met with my Bunco a Club tonight and they served a cake that looked so good I could barely stand it! Didn't eat any but I also didn't take my own food and was starving. When I think about craving sugar I just think about how terrible I felt the first 4 days going through sugar withdrawal and that nips that craving in the bud!

Half way through day two and I'm not craving any sugar... is this usual? I'm worried I stuffed up somewhere unknowingly (I had 4 cups of chai with coconut milk last night!! I was hungry after dinner..) My diet has been unusually full of junk and sugar for the last three months and in those three months I put on nearly 8 kilograms! (So easy for me with hormone problems) I am extremely tired today but put it down to the fact that I got my period this morning. I only had a small breakfast - 2 eggs, a handful of spinach and half an avocado - managed to drag myself through an hour of pilates.... I usually only eat meat once or twice a week and have vege meals at least 2-3 times a week.... I only have eggs once a week too - so day two and I'm already really struggling with the eggs and meat! Can anyone offer any advice about this?? I am starting to gag at the thought of meat and/or eggs in every meal already and its only lunchtime, day 2!

I'm not craving sugar as much as crispy crunchy things like chips. Also realized tonight that I didn't prep anything for lunch tomorrow. So after a quick impromptu trip to the store at 8pm, I now have no excuse to not eat in compliance tomorrow. Dodged a bullet on that one, not used to planning ahead. I totally would have used it as an excuse too. But I need to do this, so no excuses. I even tried to talk my fiancé into foods he wouldn't normally eat to satisfy my need to buy junk food, he didn't go for it lol. I was wondering if anyone knew if the Tazo teas are ok to have? I like their sweet orange and peach cobbler teas but nit sure they are ok?

The teas are okay.  Tom said in a post somewhere that he really likes the sweet orange and passion ones.

Are they sweet tasting? If so, I might pick up some.  Just for when I get an urge to have something like that.

Started on the 11 August so as I'm in the UK, part way through day 3!  I was feeling rubbish this morning but egg, veggie and prosciutto muffins and cucumber sticks with green tea for breakfast has made me feel a lot better.  Looking forward to another couple of eggs, slow cooked pork and salad for lunch and gammon and veggies for dinner including cauliflower rice.  And just got to keep drinking that water.

I've been following a relatively low carb diet for the past 8 months or so as a result of seeing a personal trainer, who is also a registered dietician.  However, I've been having a couple of off plan meals during the weekends so I feel like my progress on getting healthier and fitter has stalled (lost about 30lbs in the last 18 months).  The things that I'm going to struggle with are no milk in coffee (going to have to try coconut milk), no artificial sweetners in drinks, yoghurt, cheese and my off plan meals.  I just keep trying to remind myself that it's now 28 days until I can have some cheese, pizza or ice cream rather than 5 days!  In a week, it'll be 21 days and who knows what I'll be feeling like then but it's great to read posts to see what other people are feeling like at the same stage.

The teas are okay.  Tom said in a post somewhere that he really likes the sweet orange and passion ones.

Are they sweet tasting? If so, I might pick up some.  Just for when I get an urge to have something like that.

Rooibos tend to have a sweeter taste. The Tazo organic is compliant. Just check ingredients before buying! The book actually talks about D&M drinking rooibos tea as well!

I hope it is cool that I join in too. I'm starting tomorrow, so a couple days behind your group, but I really am going to need the support. I read through many of the posts, but stopped at this one because this is exactly why I didn't get started with the Aug 1 group... or the Aug 4. I'm fed up with myself, so no more restarts. I will definitely need the support, though!!

I've done multiple Whole30s, and other than sugar and some gluten-free stuff, I stay paleo in between. Ok, the sugar has gotten out of hand, that's for sure. I notice now that my first two days of Whole30s are now what used to be day 4-5 "Kill all the things." This makes it extraordinarily hard to really get going because in the first day I can't even figure out why on earth I would even want to make myself that miserable. In the past, having 4 days under my belt already gave me enough motivation to keep going, but when you are on your 1st day feeling like that, oooh, it is hard! 

So, I'm preparing myself for this misery tomorrow and the next day. I have a lot of food already cooked in my refrigerator, I have given all my money to my husband to take to work with him for the next 4-5 days (my sugar dragon is brutal right now, so relying less on willpower), and my kitchen is spotless. I'm going to post in this group if that is cool with you all, don't mean to throw off your daily counting mojo. I'm going to make it through this week and do this thing already!

Hi Casey,

Hope you're not feeling too rubbish! If you'd like someone to rant to who's a few days ahead and feels your pain, feel free to PM me.

Despite this being my first whole30 my days seems to be a bit out of whack too - yesterday was day 3 for me and I ended up feeling a combination of super tired and UNCONTROLLABLE RAGE at anyone who crossed me. Some poor guy let his phone ring and ring without picking it up when I was on my lunch break and he got a MAJOR death stare, and the guy who dared to check his oil whilst I was waiting for his car parking space...jeez - if looks could kill!

Today I'm feeling tired and very cold, I think the problem is I didn't eat enough yesterday. I went straight from work to a nail appointment which overran and then I had to meet friends at the cinema so had no time to eat, and didn't get home until half 10 - at which point I was too exhausted to contemplate cooking and just fell into bed. Normally I would have grabbed something en route but (thanks to a certain somone and his uncertain oil levels) I was running too late to find something compliant. Moral of this story is - be prepared! I should have had something to eat in my car or handbag...live and learn.

Does anyone have any tips for something portable that won't go off that I can keep with me in case of any future emergencies?

Hi Everyone. My name is Melissa and I started on the 11th and just found this group. It has been a rough couple of day due to giving up dairy and sugar. Yesterday on day 2 I was so sick and headaches. But this morning I am feeling better. Can't wait to read all you posts and know that I am not alone. We can do this.

Hi everyone. I'm kinda late in the game with the introduction but I started Aug. 11th also.

I decided to do the whole 30 to help with my Crohn's disease. I'm on Remicade and that does a good job of keeping things in check but I was still eating something I shouldn't and couldn't figure out what it was so hopefully the whole 30 will help me figure that out and make my intestines feel a little better. Hoping I lose some weight with it too. Not stepping on the scale is going to be hard.

My husband isn't doing this with me so I couldn't clean out the pantry and get rid of the "bad" stuff but I think I'll be okay as long as I have plenty of food prepped and ready to eat. On Sundays I tend to cook all my meals for M-F because I'm always on the go with work, school and gym. So that helps.

It's day 3 and I'm a little tired today and snapped at the hubby this morning when he woke me before my alarm had went off. lol. I'm usually very mellow and that was so unlike me. Guess I'll be apoligizing later for that one.

Sticking to just the 3 meals is something I'm struggling with. I'm use to eating something little every 2-3 hours. And I'm dying for some bacon but couldn't find any at my grocery that didn't have sugar so guess I'll be ordering some.

Looking forward to getting to know you guys and tackling this whole 30 together.

hey everyone hope your all doign well on day 3!

anyone else find that people are a bit judgemental when you tell them your doing whole 30???

it came up in conversation yesterday (when I, the biggest chocolate addict ever turned down a a cupcake at work :o !) rather than being supportive i was surprised at how my coworkers reacted with concern like they think im doign somethign so radical! dont get wrong its nice to know that they care and i know their hearts were in the right place but its not easy having to defend what your doing especially when i really do believe its somethign that is good for not only my body but my emotional connection with food as well. Im still getting used to not sweetening my coffee so i guess i kind of winced when i took the first sip and then everyone kept offering me truvia and sweet n low and when i declined they kept asking if i was sure....NOT helpful! it was just very frustrating that i was gettign flack for not eating processed food!

has anyone else experienced this ????

Thanks for the licorice tea suggestion. I will try it! Unfortunately, I, like many of you, have felt these intense cravings for sugar. No, I'm not hungry for fish and broccoli-i ate 3 really good meals today with plenty of protein, fat and veggies. It really was a perfect whole 30 day and then it was 8:00 pm, the kids were asleep, and I just wanted, no really felt like I needed something sweet. I tried to talk myself out of it but I had 8 dates and a handful of almonds. I know that is technically compliant but I'm so disappointed in myself that I couldn't resist the urge. And the problem with eating one date is that you then want more of that sweet taste. It's so helpful to know that many of you are going through the same feelings, urges. I'm trying not to be discouraged as I know it's taken many years to gain this weight and develop these habits, so I don't expect success overnight, but the book says it's not hard or it's not hard to compare to things that are really hard, but I guess at that moment when you really want sugar, it just feels hard. If you are feeling the same, I would love to hear from you!

i too am having a hard time with sugar and snacking. i just had a very nice lunch....chicken green beans brussel sprouts and zucchini and finished with an orange. i know im not hungry after all that (not to mention my sizeable breakfast this mornign) but as soon i finish i want something even sweeter than my orange. im determined bnot to give in the towel but i worry that its only going to get harder to resist...

My Day 2 started fine, ended horribly with nausea and stomach pain. Ugh, early bed last night.  On the plus side I did not snack at all yesterday!

Breakfast (6:30a): 2 eggs, turkey/pork, ½ potato shredded, 1 handful red peppers, 1 roma tomato, cooked in 1 T ghee, ½ handful blueberries, couple olives

Lunch: Spinach, chicken, blk/green olives, red pepper, cuc, tomatoes, EVOO/balsamic/lemon dressing, sliced almonds

Dinner (6p): zucchini noodles, ground turkey, marinara

Stomach was still a little upset this morning so I just had like 1/2 cup of melon while getting ready at 6:30 to see how it would go down and then had my "real" breakfast of 1/2 potato (cooked in ghee) and ground turkey at work at about 9.  Lunch was turkey marinara from last night and a bunch of sliced raw veggies (carrots, pepper, cucs tomato) and some olives.  Feeling okay, not 100% but better than this morning.

I don't think they're sweet really, but the sweet orange has a nice orange flavor. For me I drank it even before starting Whole30, because coffee makes me sick (or maybe it was the stupid creamers). But anyways, I do enjoy them for a change from straight water.

hey everyone hope your all doign well on day 3!

anyone else find that people are a bit judgemental when you tell them your doing whole 30???

it came up in conversation yesterday (when I, the biggest chocolate addict ever turned down a a cupcake at work :o !) rather than being supportive i was surprised at how my coworkers reacted with concern like they think im doign somethign so radical! dont get wrong its nice to know that they care and i know their hearts were in the right place but its not easy having to defend what your doing especially when i really do believe its somethign that is good for not only my body but my emotional connection with food as well. Im still getting used to not sweetening my coffee so i guess i kind of winced when i took the first sip and then everyone kept offering me truvia and sweet n low and when i declined they kept asking if i was sure....NOT helpful! it was just very frustrating that i was gettign flack for not eating processed food!

has anyone else experienced this ????

YES!!!! My best friend told me this was just another fad diet I was going to fail at and ironically he's doing Atkins right now eats bacon like it's going out of style, he also told me last weekend he ate an entire pizza because he just couldn't do Atkins anymore. My fiance' has been super supportive, everyone else I've told I just told them it's an elimination diet my dr wants me to try to see if we can determine where my stomach problems are coming from :-) Which is partially true, my dr. DID recommend it and that seems to get them off my back about it. 

I'm struggling today.  For me I don't really crave sugar so that isn't an issue.  The problem is getting hungry at 10am (I could eat the fish and broccoli) and then really really tired.  I feel sick all the time from the amount of food I'm eating and I know it's really not that much.  For lunch I had two boneless/skinless chicken thighs chopped up with bokchoy and mixed with home made mayo and lemon juice.  By the time I finished that much food I was stuffed to the max.  I had to force the last few bites down and felt like I was going to puke.  After lunch I stay full and at dinner time I'm not all that hungry.  In fact, I can get through the rest of the night just fine.  Today I hit less of a wall at 1400 which was nice.  Hope I can get to sleep easily tonight.

Today I had

0630 - half avocado, two eggs, slice of smoked ham.

1230 - two chicken thighs, 2tbsp mayo, one leaf of bokchoy, half an avocado.

1730 - one hamburger on lettuce, tomato, cucumber, (no condiments, don't like them) one baked apple- Too full to eat anything else

1930 - cup of herbal tea

I got sharp stabbing stomach pains an hour after dinner.  I don't know what is causing it.  I never did eat much fat from cooked meat or sausage because it always gave me bad tummy aches when I was a kid.  I hope it doesn't continue.

Archived