Starting August 11

AJoyfulMelody

I'm struggling today.  For me I don't really crave sugar so that isn't an issue.  The problem is getting hungry at 10am (I could eat the fish and broccoli) and then really really tired.  I feel sick all the time from the amount of food I'm eating and I know it's really not that much.  For lunch I had two boneless/skinless chicken thighs chopped up with bokchoy and mixed with home made mayo and lemon juice.  By the time I finished that much food I was stuffed to the max.  I had to force the last few bites down and felt like I was going to puke.  After lunch I stay full and at dinner time I'm not all that hungry.  In fact, I can get through the rest of the night just fine.  Today I hit less of a wall at 1400 which was nice.  Hope I can get to sleep easily tonight.

Today I had

0630 - half avocado, two eggs, slice of smoked ham.
1230 - two chicken thighs, 2tbsp mayo, one leaf of bokchoy, half an avocado.
1730 - one hamburger on lettuce, tomato, cucumber, (no condiments, don't like them) one baked apple- Too full to eat anything else
1930 - cup of herbal tea

I got sharp stabbing stomach pains an hour after dinner.  I don't know what is causing it.  I never did eat much fat from cooked meat or sausage because it always gave me bad tummy aches when I was a kid.  I hope it doesn't continue.

I'm new at this, but maybe more veggies? 

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I've "failed" my first attempt at Whole30. I wasn't done in by cravings or anything like that. Just not prepared enough and got a lot going on right now. I will still be sticking to Paleo/Primal+dairy and will re-attempt Whole30 within the next few weeks. Just can't maintain the level of attention to food that Whole30 requires right now.

Good luck with the dragon slaying everybody!

I got sharp stabbing stomach pains an hour after dinner.  I don't know what is causing it.  I never did eat much fat from cooked meat or sausage because it always gave me bad tummy aches when I was a kid.  I hope it doesn't continue.

This happened to me last night about that same time frame after dinner, and it wasn't something that I don't usually eat (turkey, tomato sauce, zucchini, things I eat all the time).  Also happened a little but not near as bad after lunch today, had leftovers from last night but way less zucchini, might have been a bad idea.  I don't think the food was bad but who knows.  Gonna try something totally different for dinner tonight. 

Well I've "failed" my first attempt at Whole30. I wasn't done in by cravings or anything like that. Just not prepared enough and got a lot going on right now. I will still be sticking to Paleo/Primal+dairy and will re-attempt Whole30 within the next few weeks. Just can't maintain the level of attention to food that Whole30 requires right now.

I'm so sorry you weren't successful with your Whole30, I got caught last night unprepared as well and barely saved it by making a store run at 8:30pm. I do think you've got a good plan for in the future and wish you success in your next attempt!  :)

Hey everyone, I've failed at posting about my first two days but really wanted some feedback (especially on my day two).... 

Day 1: Felt awesome (but not really..I was pretty tired/bloated from coming back from vacation & sugar binge) 

Breakfast: Chicken with homemade mayo (had to have a quick breakfast, the kid I nanny for had an appointment) 

Lunch: Chicken Pepper Salad with onion and red wine vinaigrette 

Dinner: AN AMAZING almond butter, coconut aminos turkey asian with green peppers, onions, and garlic lettuce wrap 

Exercise: I ran...but it is barely worth mentioning, it was more of a walk/run for about 20 minutes. 

Drank a lot of water throughout the day 

Day 2: woke up feeling awesome, then the day began...after lunch I got the worst headache I've had in a while. I'm assuming this is because of the diet coke binge I went on during my vacation. Also was pretty tired, and slept awful (I'm assuming because of the 3pm coffee I decided to have) 

Breakfast: "apple pie eggs" (an egg scramble with an apple, cinnamon, and nutmeg) 

Lunch: Chicken pepper salad with balsamic vinaigrette. (yes, this is one of my favorite lunches) 

Dinner: Turkey burger with zucchini noodles and tomato sauce 

Day 3...I've woke up a little better. 

I'd really appreciate feedback on my first two days. Day 3 is going a bit better than day 2 (no headache!!), but any suggestions on what I can improve before I go shopping sunday for next week would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :) 

Whole 30 on! 

YES!!!! My best friend told me this was just another fad diet I was going to fail at and ironically he's doing Atkins right now eats bacon like it's going out of style, he also told me last weekend he ate an entire pizza because he just couldn't do Atkins anymore. My fiance' has been super supportive, everyone else I've told I just told them it's an elimination diet my dr wants me to try to see if we can determine where my stomach problems are coming from :-) Which is partially true, my dr. DID recommend it and that seems to get them off my back about it.

hey everyone hope your all doign well on day 3!

anyone else find that people are a bit judgemental when you tell them your doing whole 30???

it came up in conversation yesterday (when I, the biggest chocolate addict ever turned down a a cupcake at work :o !) rather than being supportive i was surprised at how my coworkers reacted with concern like they think im doign somethign so radical! dont get wrong its nice to know that they care and i know their hearts were in the right place but its not easy having to defend what your doing especially when i really do believe its somethign that is good for not only my body but my emotional connection with food as well. Im still getting used to not sweetening my coffee so i guess i kind of winced when i took the first sip and then everyone kept offering me truvia and sweet n low and when i declined they kept asking if i was sure....NOT helpful! it was just very frustrating that i was gettign flack for not eating processed food!

has anyone else experienced this ????

This is from one of my new favourite websites that talks about the haters (yes it's a nerd theme but he talks about things everyone can relate to):

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/07/10/how-to-deal-with-haters/

I'm almost done with Day 3!  This was hard today as I woke up late for work and had to grab something on the way to work.

There's a smoothie place near work that has green smoothies (which are 75% greens, 25% fruit).  Not the best choice but I paired it was 3 hard boiled eggs and it lasted me until lunch time.

Lunch was Chipotle's Carnitas salad with guacamole. Got enough for lunch tomorrow as well.

Finally I found Whole30 approved bacon today! So dinner is bacon, eggs, sweet potatoes and green beans.. yummmy.

My headaches are gone and surprisingly a lot of other issues are gone today as well.  I've had abdominal pains for months due to medication/anxiety.  Today, they were barely noticeable.  I'm hoping that this will just go away with this plan!

YES!!!! My best friend told me this was just another fad diet I was going to fail at and ironically he's doing Atkins right now eats bacon like it's going out of style, he also told me last weekend he ate an entire pizza because he just couldn't do Atkins anymore. My fiance' has been super supportive, everyone else I've told I just told them it's an elimination diet my dr wants me to try to see if we can determine where my stomach problems are coming from :-) Which is partially true, my dr. DID recommend it and that seems to get them off my back about it.

Yeah I lost some weight doing a paleo diet but after a few months it started getting harder to stay on track so I mostly started whole30 to sorta kick that back into gear( plus I know I don't have a good emotional connection with food and I need to fix that) since I already lost some weight though people are acting like I'm crazy for doing "another diet" they don't get it at all, Which is mostly fine I don't expect everyone to get it but it is difficult defending it. Especially cause I know there is NOTHING wrong with cutting out processes food! How on earth could that be a bad thing!!??

Anyone else hungry? I was fine the first two days but hungry tonight. This is the first day I atr fruit. I'm going to see if not eating fruit tomorrow changes my hunger level.

I'm just telling people it's and elimination diet to heal my body and see if I have food allergies. Seems to keep the badgering to a minimum.

I loved paleo+dairy! Had lots of health benefits. If you can stick with primal eating, your next Whole 30 will be an easier transition. Good luck!

Day 3 done! Had a hard time making time to eat for lunch with a busy work day. Ate a small lunch late, then was hungry before supper. Making time to sit down to eat needs to improve. Tired, hungry and headachey today, but still feeling better than day 0!

I'll be starting August 11th too. Today is "The Great Pantry Purge".  B)  I normally bake my own bread so I literally have about 30 lbs of flour that needs a new home. I also have lots of bulk baking ingredients such as various types of sugar, chia, instant milk, 5 grain oat mix, etc. I'm going to post the bulk stuff on Craigslist. I can't see tossing that much food in the trash but I know it will be a temptation if I keep it in the house. Sandwiches are my normal go-to meal. 

I'm going in early morning on the 11th to get a blood test for Celiacs so this may be the last time gluten is present in my home without sneaking in. I'm so tired of chasing nutritional deficiencies that I've paid out of pocket for the test rather than go back to the doctor. An otherwise healthy 24 year old should not need supplements but so long as they can throw a pill at it they aren't interested in the root cause.

I'm single so I'm splurging on a decent vacuum sealer. I just can't eat some foods fast enough to not have them go bad unless they're very well sealed. 

Local food banks might take it.

Hi everyone, am onto day 4 now. Been having eggs, asparagus (interesting smell!!) & salmon for breakfast, chicken salad for lunch, & organic beef & veg for tea. Food is delicious and so much more nutritious than processed crap, but I did start getting hungry yesterday so I snacked on an apple & nuts, ooh and some bacon quite late last night - but I feel lots better this morning

Haven't been exercising as that usually makes my hunger uncontrollable but starting to feel energetic enough to start again - what have other people been doing? Much exercise? None?

Ooh & I get the Whole30 daily emails - really enjoy them and give me a little added motivation each day!!

We're also over 1/10th of the way there now!!

We're also over 1/10th of the way there now!!

Yay, 10% the way through!  Woke up today to Day 4 feeling a lot more alert, no headache, we'll see how this goes through the day particularly since I have a resistance training gym session this lunchtime so it will be interesting to see how much I can train relative my usual weights.  I wasn't feeling hungry Day 1 & 2 but was hungry most of the day yesterday, will try and up my vegetables if this continues.

Otherwise, I've got some quite annoying muscle aches in my back and legs.  Trying to drink as much water or herbal tea as I can and I've ordered some magnesium citrate powder, which I've read might help balance electrolytes.  Since I've been following a paleo+dairy diet for a while, at least Monday to Friday, I'm a little confused about the severity of how I'm feeling as the food I've been eating hasn't been all that different this week, mostly just cutting out milk from coffee and artificial sweetners in coffee and other drinks and no yoghurt.

Haven't been exercising as that usually makes my hunger uncontrollable but starting to feel energetic enough to start again - what have other people been doing? Much exercise? None?

I personally haven't been exercising this week as I felt that my body might need to adjust to both a new way of eating and a new exercise program (I haven't exercised regularly in a couple months).  

Starting next week I'll be back at the gym for sure!!

For those posting and asking for

Hey everyone, I've failed at posting about my first two days but really wanted some feedback (especially on my day two).... 

Day 1: Felt awesome (but not really..I was pretty tired/bloated from coming back from vacation & sugar binge) 

Breakfast: Chicken with homemade mayo (had to have a quick breakfast, the kid I nanny for had an appointment) 

Lunch: Chicken Pepper Salad with onion and red wine vinaigrette 

Dinner: AN AMAZING almond butter, coconut aminos turkey asian with green peppers, onions, and garlic lettuce wrap 

Exercise: I ran...but it is barely worth mentioning, it was more of a walk/run for about 20 minutes. 

Drank a lot of water throughout the day 

Day 2: woke up feeling awesome, then the day began...after lunch I got the worst headache I've had in a while. I'm assuming this is because of the diet coke binge I went on during my vacation. Also was pretty tired, and slept awful (I'm assuming because of the 3pm coffee I decided to have) 

Breakfast: "apple pie eggs" (an egg scramble with an apple, cinnamon, and nutmeg) 

Lunch: Chicken pepper salad with balsamic vinaigrette. (yes, this is one of my favorite lunches) 

Dinner: Turkey burger with zucchini noodles and tomato sauce 

Day 3...I've woke up a little better. 

I'd really appreciate feedback on my first two days. Day 3 is going a bit better than day 2 (no headache!!), but any suggestions on what I can improve before I go shopping sunday for next week would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

Whole 30 on! 

Your meals look pretty good, but I would advise more vegetables in the morning.  Also, I don't see any healthy fats in there.  At the day I am starving if I am not getting enough fat.  Remember, when you cut out carbs you have to replace it with something, and just lettuce is not enough.

I really want to try to make zucchini noodles, how are you guys doing it? I probably need to break down and get one of those Zoodle things, just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for one specifically? 

Just buy a julienne peeler from amazon - they're super cheap and easy to use for any veggies :)

For those posting and asking for

Your meals look pretty good, but I would advise more vegetables in the morning.  Also, I don't see any healthy fats in there.  At the day I am starving if I am not getting enough fat.  Remember, when you cut out carbs you have to replace it with something, and just lettuce is not enough.

As for the healthy fats, I've been getting them in a variety of ways with every meal (I'm not sure why I didn't think to make sure that was in there, especially since I noticed after lunch on day 2 that not enough fat might be a cause of my horrible headache)..I actually am using your suggestion currently with my breakfast! Thank you so much, I really appreciate the feedback!!! 

Day 4, going strong, still motivated, not really hungry and wondering what's wrong with me???  I ate my normal breakfast of fruit on day 1 and 2 then added some protein on day 3 & 4 because I don't think I am eating enough calories.  I'm logging my food into the MyFitnessPal website and so far I've been under my daily goal to safely lose weight by about 500-600 calories each day.  Last night I was putting down pistaschios after dinner just to bring up my calories for the day.  I've not had any headaches or crankiness or felt tired or lethargic (except the first afternoon).  I super exicited about cooking a bunch of different recipes this weekend so I have lots of choices next week.  I'm going to make the Korean short ribs, the lime-cilantro chicken and the golden cauliflower soup.  I love soup and cauliflower, how could that be bad?  it's going to taste so good I just know it.

Good luck all you day 4 peeps.  Slay that dragon!

Good morning  :)  I can't believe it's Thursday.  I'm sorry I haven't checked in, but as a mom with lots of kiddos life is ramping up with school about to start. 

I started on Monday as I said I would and I've been cooking meals for my family of ten (we have 8 kiddos) and I actually am doing well! I have struggled a tad bit this morning as my daughter left to college and I miss her terribly already. On top of that, she made donuts (she loves to bake!) for breakfast and so my zucchini and eggs didn't seem as exciting.  ;)   

I haven't really felt bad or anything, but I think I'm at a point where those donuts, the bagels on the grocery list, and pasta is really starting to tap me on the shoulder. My coffee has been black, every day, but the cup is looking a little sad without my cream and sugar. 

So,.....anyone who would like to offer some advice, I'll take it. 

Sounds like folks are doing pretty well and the expected 'feelings' are happening for some, I'll be praying for all of you to be able to 'stay the course' and finish strong. 

Talk to y'all soon!  :)

This is from one of my new favourite websites that talks about the haters (yes it's a nerd theme but he talks about things everyone can relate to):

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/07/10/how-to-deal-with-haters/

thanks for the article! helped a lot! im gong to a work dinner tonight im sure im going to get lots of questions when i ask the server for a special offer im prepared to give the luigi stare !

Archived