Well here I am again, finally. I have been on the verge of doing my second W30 since I jumped off the wagon and danced my way into a big ass bowl of candy, that was a little over a year ago.  :wacko:

Mix in a year with a trip to Vegas and the damned holidays. A week lon summer road trip and a dumb amount of BAD food available at work. Ugh. Bottom line - I feel terrible. All of the abdominal pains that I have suffered through all of my life have returned and I am in a constant state of bloat. My mood swings and PMS are cray, ask my 15 year old son. My joints are achy, I am not sleeping well and I have gained back the 15 pounds I lost. Boo.

During the last year of off and on-ness I've lost nearly all of the great things that came from my first W30. All the while knowing mentally that my first was truly not that hard once I jumped in, It was the jumping back in from deep waters that kept me away for so long. 

The best and lasting things of my first W30 (W56): I gave up adding sweet-n-low to my coffee, I learned to truly enjoy it black, seriously. Today I still drink it like that way every day, no exceptions. I have a large, dusty box of the pink stuff in my pantry. I cannot bring myself to toss it into a landfill and I can't donate the poison to a food bank. I have also found that I really like hot tea, some times herbal and sometimes just plain, always sans the pink stuff. Next I gave up the Arizona "sugar free" Green Tea that I use to drink at the rate of a few gallons a week. I'm totally good now on just coffee, tea and water, um oh and margaritas and wine. Oops. I also continued to use healthy oils when I cook. 

W30 is a commitment and I didn't have it in me to recommit, there was always some excuse. I do good some days not others, then I'd do ok some days and eat like a maniac the next. I knew and know all of the right things to do and did some meals great but then would have candy. Huh?  :(  #fail 

I pretty much bailed on the re-intro. I did a little here and there with no real plan. Not smart.

My daily food log is seriously what got me through my first W30. I enjoyed posting pics of the food I made and sharing recipes. Truly it made me feel accountable even if nobody was interacting, just putting it here made the difference.

My biggest challenge in my life way beyond W30 is living a balanced life. What is that? I have this all of nothing thing. I'm in, I'm out, I'm off, I'm on. Commitment, not a problem, long term commitment, problem. I need a good family, work food, hobby balance. Don't we all? Any insight to this phenomenon called balance, PLEASE share;)

So here I am again. Gearing up for my 2nd W30 adventure. I have done my shopping and come Monday the 11th I am all in, again. I have a sweet tooth that is off the chart, that will be my biggest challenge. That and the in-house vendor at work that is "nice" enough to provide stupid amounts of it. I will also be adding an at home exercise program. I will re-intro with a purpose this time. My goal is to figure out what is causing me joint pain, the extreme moods and PMS. My goal is to have an even better W30, do the first 30 days and then evaluate. See if I need more time or if re-intro is doable.

Time to re-read my book, until next time.  :)

Here we go!  :D 
I did a few of my favorite slow cooker recipes over the weekend that will get me through this weeks lunches at work. I also got some fresh veggies for salads and roasting. I LOVE oven roasted veggies! So super easy and sooo delish! I just toss them in some melted coconut oil and sprinkle them in sea salt, pepper and garlic powder. 

Day one food log:

breakfast: two hard boiled eggs, coffee black, water - I really need to work in some veggies at breakfast just have not tried any that appeal to me before noon.  :mellow:

lunch: slow cooker Italian pork roast with oven roasted broccoli, 1 small avocado, hot tea
pork: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/10/16/slow-cooker-italian-pork-roast/

dinner: slow cooker roasted chicken with oven roasted carrot chips, water
chicken: http://kitchensimplicity.com/slow-cooker-roast-chicken/

carrots: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1657408363/roasted-carrots

I also drank a lot of water throughout the day and I will be taking Natural Calm powdered magnesium supplement. It really helped me relax and sleep through the night during my first W30. Not even sure why I stopped taking it.  <_< 

I also started my second whole30 yesterday as well - Heres the the 2nd timers!  I really like sautéed spinach toped with eggs for breakfast (season well)- and the breakfast "muffins" were really helpful to have on hand. I dont know about you but I get really tired of hard boiled eggs - maybe make some mayo and have an egg salad for breakfast, if you like tomato that would be a good thing to put on top                  ( especially now since they are in season - not the grocery store ones that taste like cardboard). Good luck to you!

I also started my second whole30 yesterday as well - Heres the the 2nd timers!  I really like sautéed spinach toped with eggs for breakfast (season well)- and the breakfast "muffins" were really helpful to have on hand. I dont know about you but I get really tired of hard boiled eggs - maybe make some mayo and have an egg salad for breakfast, if you like tomato that would be a good thing to put on top                  ( especially now since they are in season - not the grocery store ones that taste like cardboard). Good luck to you!

Hi, thanks! I am an egg addict. I will have to try the spinach, thanks for the tip!

Day two done-zo.

Day one food log:

breakfast: two hard boiled eggs, coffee black, water 

lunch: slow cooker Italian pork roast with oven roasted carrot chips, oven roasted asparagus and  1 small avocado, hot tea

dinner: BAFS a.k.a. big a$$ f*ck!ng salad and it was AWESOME. Here's what this one had. BIG bowl of baby greens and romaine lettuce. Hand full of carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, slow cooker roasted chicken, one small avocado, I seasoned it with salt, pepper and Sandwich Sprinkle (from Penzey's Spices) with olive oil. water to drink.

I'm craving something sweet tonight but I know it's all in my head. Damned dragon. 

I also started on 11th of August! I'm at the end of day 3 now (Australia) and I ate so much food today I feel like I'm about to explode...it was all W30 compliant, but there was just so much of it! Did anything like this happen in the first week of your whole30?

I also started on 11th of August! I'm at the end of day 3 now (Australia) and I ate so much food today I feel like I'm about to explode...it was all W30 compliant, but there was just so much of it! Did anything like this happen in the first week of your whole30?

Hi! I think over eating when you first start is probably something that happens to a lot of people. Just know that it is all in your head… Your brain wants things you can't have right now so you will compensate with TONS of W30 compliant foods. It'll all even out, just sticking to it will do it! Best of luck to you!

Hi,

Congrats on starting your 2nd! I started my first day yesterday. I look forward to the support and information here.

Awesome! have you started a food log? That is my "checker" it is a huge help in keeping me on track and accountable. Publishing your food intake for the W30 world to see makes you do the right thing. Good luck with your W30 journey! 

Day 3 - I've had a gnawing headache off and on all day, most likely some withdrawals from some junk in my body could be sugar, could be gluten. Le sigh... Along with that I've got some IBS going on.  :(  Most likely a combo of the additional fats the magnesium supplement and the fact that I have not had a gall bladder for nearly 15 years. That said it will all even out in a few more days, hopefully.  ;)

breakfast: two hard boiled eggs, coffee black (2 cups today), water 

lunch: slow cooker chicken with oven roasted carrot chips, oven roasted asparagus and 1 small avocado on a small bed of baby greens and romaine

dinner: BAFS Mexican style. Here's what this one had. BIG bowl of baby greens and romaine lettuce. Several halved cherry tomatoes, one small avocado, ground beef seasoned with Mexican flavors (more below), 1 tbs of olive oil and 2 tbs of compliant salsa. YUMMO! (pic)

Taco meet; I bought some taco seasoning on my trip to Penzy's Spices last week but it is not complaint, so much of what I buy there is I forgot to check the label. BOO!  :angry:  Anyway, I read through the ingredients and pulled out the spices that it contained and did a lot of guessing after that. It turned out a little more spicy that I would eat on an actual taco but it worked on the salad since everything else was cold. All and all, great. I saved back half for lunch tomorrow. Woot!

I also prepped this awesomeness: http://nuttykitchen.com/2011/02/02/cubedporkshoulderinsauerkraut/

I do it in a slow cooker and I double the dry ingredients.  It is marinating over night and I will put it on low in the morning and have it for dinner tomorrow. I bought my pork shoulder with a bone in it again (gur) it was a pain to get cut down and off of the bone. I got ass much off of it as I could and then I seasoned it and put it in the center to cook along and add it's marrow-ey goodness as it stews. Mmmm... (pic)

post-13474-0-48251000-1407979979_thumb.j

post-13474-0-36502400-1407980267_thumb.j

Day 4 - No headache today. YAY! Still a little IBS after meals but that seems to be getting better too. 

breakfast: two medium boiled eggs, cup of coffee, water

lunch: repeat of last nights dinner. delish! and some oven roasted broccoli, also delish.  :wub:

dinner: My dinner started cooking at 8ish this morning and OMG it was sooooo GOOD! http://nuttykitchen....erinsauerkraut/

I had that with a medium sized salad of baby greens, shredded carrots, grape tomatoes and one small avocado, tossed with sandwich sprinkle and olive oil. STUFFED! (pics)
Oh remember all of that meet I could not get off of the BIG honkin' bone of the pork shoulder? It melted right off, funny how 10 hours in a slower cooker will help that issue.  ;)

post-13474-0-35662300-1408071404_thumb.j

post-13474-0-95083200-1408071407_thumb.j

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome. Today is my day 6 and feeling good. Yesterday was hard because I had a killer headache. I stuck it out and today is better. I will start to pay my food loss too. I will check back in tonight once I had dinner.

Ok. Ok. I am running behind. It's been a bit of a busy weekend but a good one. I tried posting on Friday night using my phone and then accidentally hit the back button and wiped it all out and then decided I'd wait until I was behind my laptop again. 

Friday, day 5 - Had a headache late this morning and took some BC powder rather than suffer through it like I did before. IBS is getting better, still not 100%. At work today I attended a wedding shower for a coworker. They catered in McAlister's. There was also unsweetened tea but I am in a semi-state of paranoia when it comes to anything from a restaurant so I enjoyed my ice water. ;) While the rest of them enjoyed their gluten, and sugar. 

I had a few people tell me to eat but when I told them I was doing a Whole30 they where like "oh"... I think the name says it all, that or they have heard about it. Anyhoo, no pressure, no problem. There were boxes of cupcake sized bunt cake, I did make sure to take a chair that was not planed directly in front of one of the boxes. No need to torture myself!  :huh:

Breakfast: 3 medium boiled eggs, coffee, water

Lunch: cubed pork shoulder in sauerkraut, salad with baby greens, romaine, grape tomatoes, carrot shreds, avocado and dressed with sandwich sprinkle and olive oil, water

Dinner: breakfast for dinner! Scrambled eggs, homemade pork sausage, roasted broccoli and grape tomatoes, water

Saturday, Day 6 - I was at a friends house Friday and Saturday night dog sitting. I brought lots of stuff with me for eats and luckily there was also some items there stocked that where W30 friendly. Including the homemade pork sausage. It is soooo gooood! I got a TON of things done on Saturday! Oil changed, tires rotated, car washed, enjoyed pedicure, cleaned my kitchen, made a list for some recipes, when shopping for those items. Then I want and gathered all of the dogs and brought them to my house so I could do my cook up.  :D

Inside of 3 hours I cleaned my kitchen, prepped 3 awesome slow cooker recipes and cleaned the kitchen again. Woot!!!

Here is what's cookin':

I am making this bad boy again: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/10/16/slow-cooker-italian-pork-roast/ It is probably the 4th or 5th time I have done it but this time I am using the exact Italian herb blend from Penzy's that she recommends. 

Chocolate Chili: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/ I made this one during my first W30 and it is awesome! I do it all up per the directions and then add it to my slow cooker to do the simmer bit, for several hours.

Crock pot cilantro chicken: I did some googling and found this site http://www.rubiesandradishes.com/2014/01/21/30-whole-30-friendly-slow-cooker-recipes/ To the deets: http://www.honeygheeandme.com/2014/01/crock-pot-cilantro-chicken-whole30/

I could not called the Fenugreek that it calls for but I substituted mustard seed, Fenugreekworld.com said I could.  :P I also used chicken breasts rather than thighs. 

When I got back home this afternoon ALL of these went on their respective slow cookers. Yep you got it, I have 3 of them.  :ph34r:  

Don't judge. 

Breakfast: Coffee. Speaking of judging, try not to do do it here. But I skipped breakfast this morning. I know, I know. Sorry. Sue me.

Lunch: Small omelet, and a salad of Romano, grape tomatoes and shredded carrots, water

Dinner: Roasted chicken, tons of baby greens, shredded carrots, grape tomatoes, dressed as usual

Sunday, Day 7 - it stored here all night and we had flash flooding so I stayed in with the dogs rather than venture out to Mass in the downpour. No headache, IBS for sure on the mend, no super fast reactions from food intake. YAY! I feel like I have more energy, I think some of that is placebo but he I will take it! All of my food is cooking and my kitchen is smiling AMAZING!!!

Breakfast: small omelet, homemade pork sausage, coffee, 2 cups

Lunch: I got a late start today so I was not and am not hungry even now. I will have an early dinner.

Dinner: probably a BAFS, not sure what will be in it yet.

See ya tomorrow! 

Hi,

Ok, first food log for yesterday which was Day 6.

Breakfast- kale and eggs topped with prosciutto and avocoado slices, black coffee

Lunch- shredded zucchini and roasted chicken with cherry tomatoes and hazelnuts on side

Dinner- Roast beef lettuce wraps

Snack- Apple slices

Felt pretty good yesterday and woke up early today and didn't feel awful like I usually do in the morning. My husband started his day 1 today, so very excited to have him along for the ride.

Day 8 - Soooo the "plan" was to wake up early and do my first workout of a 90 day fitness challenge that I am stating today, the getting up early part didn't happen but the workout did, after work. YAY! My first workout was only 25 minutes but it is all weights, this girl is going to be sore tomorrow!  :mellow:  I felt good today, IBS is still on the mend, still. Pfft. No headache, joints are not any better yet but that will surely take lots more time.

breakfast: two medium boiled eggs, black coffee, water

lunch: well fed's chocolate chili, oven roasted broccoli, salad with baby greens, shredded carrots, grape tomatoes, penzy's sandwich sprinkle and olive oil.

pre-workout: one medium boiled egg

dinner: pork shoulder with sauerkraut, salad, same as lunch but with avocado. Mmmm

OM to tha GEEEE!!!

Soooo that homemade sausage that I liked so much that my friend made, well he just called me to tell me he was WRONG because there was BROWN SUGAR IN IT. The good news is that it is only tablespoon per 2 pounds (so little why is it even in there?), ok that is like none in the scheme of things considering I ate 4 pieces of it over the span of 2 days. Better news is that it was not sweet at all so it did not wake up the dragon. 

After first hearing the news I was like, great day 9 is now actually day 2 since I didn't have the sausage on Monday. But I am moving on since the tiny bit of sugar did not effect me in any way - at least not until he call me. 

I will not let this defeat me and I did my due diligence and he even ensured me it was W30. So GUR to him but kudos for him calling me with the truth, even though I wanted to scream at him. ;)  

So yeah, that happened. 

Now onward ---> to my day 9, woot!

breakfast: one medium boiled egg, one Applegate Farms beef hot dog and half of a Bubbies pickle. 

Hotdogs: http://www.applegate.com/products/natural-uncured-beef-hot-dog

Pickles: http://www.bubbies.com/

lunch: Crock pot cilantro chicken, salad with romaine, baby greens,, grape tomatoes, shredded carrots and dressed with olive oil, sandwich sprinkle

dinner: roasted pork shoulder, oven roasted broccoli, grape tomatoes, half of an avocado

So that does it, I'm feeling ok over all. I workout for the first time last night so I am a little sore but not overly so. I did yoga at home the stretching was awesome. Hitting the weights again tomorrow!  :D

Hi,

So hard to log my food on here everyday! I am in the process of remodeling a few rooms in the house and I am falling into bed exhausted. I am finding here on Day 9 that I do feel like I have more energy. This is one of the main reasons I started Whole30, so I am excited. Shelli, how is the chocolate chilli recipe? I wanted to try that.

My husband is on his Day 3 and surviving, so happy about that. I was really excited to find grass fed ground beef at super market on clearance for $3.49/lb. I bought all they had:) Had it this morning and so yummy.

Shelli, congrats on starting your fitness plan. I can't wait to start too. I have the PiYo program by beachbody. I am going to start when I finish painting these two rooms. I know I will not be able to get up and down the ladder if I am super sore!

Shelli, how is the chocolate chilli recipe? I wanted to try that.

My husband is on his Day 3 and surviving, so happy about that. I was really excited to find grass fed ground beef at super market on clearance for $3.49/lb. I bought all they had:) Had it this morning and so yummy.

Shelli, congrats on starting your fitness plan. I can't wait to start too. I have the PiYo program by beachbody. I am going to start when I finish painting these two rooms. I know I will not be able to get up and down the ladder if I am super sore!

Hi Dana! 

I LOVE the chocolate chili recipe, I have made it a few times. I do it up and let it cook on low in my crock pot for 5 or so hours. Keeps well in the freezer, I got tons of single serving sizes out of the 2lb recipe. 

That is awesome that your husband is on the wagon with you! I think that has to make things easier.  :D 

I am sooooo stink in; sore right now! OMG! It'll be worth it but it will not be painless, this I know. I am doing the Les Mills PUMP also by Beachbody. I have taken PUMP in the gym before and loved it so I thought it was a good choice for me. 

Good luck with your remodeling!!!  :wacko: 

Good Day 9! I just have a quick minute so here is what was to eat.

Breakfast- egg with kale and black coffee

Lunch- My own creation- ground beef with roasted peppers, onion, avocado, cumin and cilantro and lime juice. I loved this will make again.

Dinner- Salmon with roasted brussel sprouts, purple carrots and sunchokes

Snack- Grapes and hazelnuts

Have a great night:)

Day 11, kiss my A$$... more in a sec.

Rewding... Day 10:

I didn't post foods on day 10, it was a crazy day and I was prepping food for a baby shower that I was hosting. I came home, worked out and then got busy in the kitchen making food that was W30 compliant for the shower so it'd be easy to pass up the gluten, sugar filled goodies everyone else was making to bring. I made breakfast meatballs and deviled eggs. So yummy! I have good energy throughout day 10, just SORE but good. I was not done in the kitchen until 9 then I spent the next 30 or so minutes crafting an awesome "vintage baseball" table runner for the shower. I'm crafty.  ;)

By the end of the night I was feeling pretty darn proud of myself, I got tones done and I was packed up and ready to go to haul everything into work the next morning. 

I got to rushing around in the morning, double checking my list of things for the shower and such. I packed up my W30 awesome lunch and I was making good time of it all. I was feeling easy breezy. Stopped on the way to work to pick up the shower cake and I was off to work. 

I was in a great mood. Ready to throw an awesome shower for my friend. Then once I got settled in I realized that I forgot my lunch at home. OMG  :angry:  Defeated. Mmmm meatballs and deviled eggs ALL DAY. Le sigh. This really threw me out of wack! By the end of the day I think I ate 5 deviled egg halves, and idk how many damned meatballs. Going home was not an option and I don't trust anything in our cafe at work. The only think I think is compliant in there is a bowl of lettuce. By the end of the day I was in a haze. My eyes were tired and I felt like a slug. I got home and immediately fixed some actual food!

One good sized hunk of roasted pork shoulder, one avocado and a heap of roasted broccoli. I am so glad that today is my rest day for my 90 fitness challenge. This girl is pooped. 

Positive side note: My W30 meatballs and deviled eggs were a big hit. Woot. 
Beyond the awesome cake I got for the shower nothing else really looked appealing. Breakfast casseroles and quiches run a muck, eh. Oh and a fruit tray with chocolate dipping sauce. I don't trust prepackaged fruit so I passed. 

See you tomorrow day 12!  :)

Archived