Morkai's 1st Whole30 - started 8/4/14

Morkai

Hi everyone, 

I started my first whole 30 yesterday, was supposed to start this log yesterday as well but my evening didn't go as planned. 

I decided to try this challenge as while I have been very successful with my weight loss counting calories & macro's I am sick and tired of tracking everything I put in my mouth. I also have been suffering a sinus infection for the prior week and have been grumpily eating all the comfort food and realised that when not OCD tracking I can't stay away from excessive sugar.

I also want to set a good example for my son (2.5yrs) by living health and fitness and have slipped recently. He's been eating a whole lot more cereal, gummies and junk food because I have gotten lazy with cooking and relying on his daycare who do actually feed him a pretty varied diet (although he gets his fair share of typical grains and sugar there) That said he is a fiend for his fresh fruit so I don't feel like a complete fail mum :)  

Sunday was spent in prep. I cooked up a breakfast egg / veg casserole, roasted a whole chicken, cooked up a pound of roast chicken thighs. Made a chocolate chili from Well Fed (wow!) and have the chicken bones brewing stock to make a Thai Chicken/coconut soup. 

I have done ketogenic diets before so not in completely unfamiliar territory but the lack of Dairy and Artificial Sweeteners is definitely putting an interesting spin on it. 

For the boring starting stats I am 5'4 female, about 140lbs (I put on 12lbs (136-148), in the last week with the comfort eating so I know most of that is just water.) I'll do measurements in a couple days when my bloat is down.    

Day 1: 

Breakfast Casserole: Eggs, ground turkey, spinach, zucchini, mushrooms, red and yellow bell pepper and onions. 

Strawberries & unsweetened coconut milk in coffee.

IMG_1236.JPG

Lunch: Chocolate Chili, steamed veggies, avocado and a homegrown peach

IMG_1244.JPG

Dinner: Zucchini, mushrooms, roasted chicken thigh & avocado

IMG_1247.JPG

I drank 2 more cups of coffee and plenty of water throughout the day. Pretty easy but Day 1 normally is, I expect next week to be where it gets hard :)

Thanks Derval :)

Thompssn: It was! I love everything I made. I think the Chocolate Chili will become a staple though, man that stuff is good. The coffee is the only thing that will take a bit to get used to. 

Thanks :) - I think I'll use slightly leaner meat next time, it's just a tad too greasy. but the flavour is awesome. 

Welcome to w30!  Your chili is making me want some....  may have to cook up a pot soon :)

Day 2 - 8/5/14: 

Breakfast Casserole, strawberries, blueberries and coffee

Chocolate Chili, steamed veg, grape tomatoes, avocado. 

Thai Chicken soup (Ginger, lime juice, home made chicken stock, coconut milk, spinach, dark roast chicken meat, mushrooms, red bell pepper), Zuchinni & Spinach sautéed in clarified butter. 

Not pictured: 2 more cups of coffee & a ton of water

IMG_1258.JPG

Slight headache at the end of the day but otherwise still going strong. No other noticeable affects of feelings. 

I still have chest/sinus infection I am trying to get rid of. Ended up taking some cough medicine end of day 2 just so I wasn't keeping the whole house awake. Once that kicked in and my cough subsided my son woke up and I never got back to my own bed so today might be rough from that aspect alone. 

Thanks Derval :)

Thompssn: It was! I love everything I made. I think the Chocolate Chili will become a staple though, man that stuff is good. The coffee is the only thing that will take a bit to get used to. 

The chocolate chili recipe is for sure a winner!  I made some a couple of weeks ago and froze some.  I'm doling it out to myself once a week (so I don't have to make it again too soon and so I don't get bored with it). 

Try the Smashed Steak Skewers with Cherry BBQ Sauce from Nom Nom Paleo.  Another winner.  I have those for lunch today.

Oooh, that does look good, I think even hubby might like those :) Thanks for the headsup

The chocolate chili recipe is for sure a winner!  I made some a couple of weeks ago and froze some.  I'm doling it out to myself once a week (so I don't have to make it again too soon and so I don't get bored with it). 

Try the Smashed Steak Skewers with Cherry BBQ Sauce from Nom Nom Paleo.  Another winner.  I have those for lunch today.

Day 3 down, 

B: Egg Casserole, banana & coffee :)

L: Chocolate chili, steamed veg and avocado

Nice evening walk with my son.

D: Baked avocado with egg, zucchini sautéed in paprika, ginger and a splash of lime juice. 

IMG_1270.JPG

Slight stomach distress around 5pm but otherwise no problems, if anything I am remembering how much I love ketogenic foods and with the slight extra freedom on fruit and carrots (I had forgotten how much I love steamed carrots) has made this very easy so far.

The baked avocado was amazing. Definitely will make that again. 

Don't think I'll be making a 6 serving batch of the egg casserole again though, to be honest I'd have preferred just some chicken and veggies this morning, 

It was delicious, thank you, especially as I timed it right and the yolk was still runny :)

Your baked avocado looks so good! I'll definitely need to try that now.

Good job and keep up the great work!

Day 4: 

B: Egg Casserole, Strawberries, banana & coffee.

L: Chili, olives, carrots, tomato, strawberries and banana, coffee
D: Baked avocado egg. Zucchini, mushrooms, roast chicken thigh, garlic, paprika, ginger and lime. 

Not pictured: 1/3 a banana my toddler didn't eat, an extra strawberry and 1/2 cup of chicken soup. 

IMG_1287.JPG

I love being able to share food with my son again. I came from macro counting, everything was weighed, measured and preplanned to the gram. Sharing was a pain, I couldn't eat half of what he ate. Now I actively encourage him to try everything I eat and if he doesn't eat the whole banana I don't feel horrible about throwing it away. (freezing never worked, they went brown and freezer burnt however I tried containing them)

Feel great. Had some momentary debates last night about sugar last night that came out of nowhere. I think mainly annoyance from a grill out I have to do with family on Saturday that was supposed to happen the weekend before I started. Trying to decide whether to call this a trial week and restart Sunday or risk offending my mother in law by not eating whatever food she brings. I live in Louisiana, anything she brings is going to be sugar or carb laden. And this was a we want to grill out but our house is too small and our grill sucks so we'll bring all the food and do it at your place so while I can add some dishes I won't be able to control the primary food. 

Archived