Frittata?

bede0713

Does anyone have a good frittata recipe they'd like to share?  I've never made one before and I'm teetering on giving up on eggs as a breakfast option (possible GI issues related to them) but I want to try a few more days and though this would be a good easy grab meal for my daughter and me in the rushed morning. 

Thanks in advance:)

I saw this when someone posted a video of a person on the news making a Whole 30 frittata and I may have changed a thing here or there. Sorry I can't cite my exact source.

1dozen eggs

1/4 diced onion

1 clove minced garlic

2-3 stalks chopped green onion

1-2 TBSP evoo

I bunch spinach leaves (or bag)

1-2 large diced tomatoes

1 container diced baby Bella mushrooms

Salt and Pepper to taste

(Can sauté and add any type if meat if you like)

Heat oven to 350

Use a nice sized pan that can also be put in the oven.

In a separate mixing bowl whisk eggs together and add salt and pepper to taste. Save on the side.

Sauté onions, garlic, and green onions in EVOO on stove until wilted.

Add tomatoes and mushrooms until soft.

Add spinach and stir until wilted.

Add eggs and fold all ingredients together. Do not continue to 'scramble' after ingredients are mixed together.

Let sit over medium heat for a few minutes until the mixture starts to gently pull away from the sides.

When this happens, put the whole pan in the oven for approximately 15 minutes or so until it slightly browns on top.

Now it's done....easy.

It will rise significantly in the oven but will settle some after it cools.

Cut however you like. I cut mine into 8 pizza like pieces and eat 2 pieces for breakfast. This gives me 3 eggs per serving and lots of veggies.

If you want to add meat (like prosciutto, sausage, ground beef/turkey, etc), sauté first and then add onions, garlic, etc and continue from there.

You could add or change the veggies you use. I have also seen people take this same basic recipe and make egg "muffins" by scooping everything into muffin tins and baking.

My go-to recipe:

Preheat oven at 350 degrees

Beat 4 large eggs and 2 tablespoons of coconut milk

Saute 1/2 pound of bulk sausage in an oven-safe 8-inch omelet pan

Add as much kale as you can fit, a handful at a time; cook till they are wilted

Pour in the egg and coconut milk mixture

Cook for a few minutes

Transfer pan to the oven

Bake for 10-12 minutes

Turn up heat to Broil and bake an additional 2 minutes

Remove and let it sit for a few minutes

Cut into slices and chow down

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I rarely use recipes for frittata. I make them in my small (8in?) cast iron skillet with whatever meat and veggie bits are in the fridge. I like mushrooms, asparagus, olives, and cooked greens (spinach, shard, kale--whatever). I'll sometimes add diced tomatoes too. Sky's the limit for meat--crumbled ground beef or sausage, diced storebought sausage, shredded chicken, shredded pork, canned crab meat. I did smoked salmon in a frittata once and discovered that I don't really like warm smoked salmon.

Whatever you use, just distribute it evenly in the pan and mix up a couple of eggs to pour over the top. Cook on the stove-top until mostly set and then toss in the oven to finish cooking. (I rarely bother with adding liquid to my eggs unless I'm at the end of a carton and absolutely, positively need to stretch the few remaining eggs.)

• 4 weeks later...

I made Nom Nom Paleo Whole30 compliant Prosciutto Wrapped Mini Frittata Muffins this weekend...Oh.My.Goodness!

I subbed the frozen spinach for fresh spinach, which was the only change I made to the recipe.

Totally saves me when I need to run out the door in the morning...

Hope you like them too! :) 

This is what I make, but it's not a true frittata.

We call it Egg Pie--not so much a recipe as a method...

1 pound or so ground meat

1/2 - 1 cup each diced or shredded vegetables (onion, bell peppers, mushrooms, kale, potato, etc)

Seasoning blend to compliment other ingredients (see below)

16-18 eggs, beaten (another reason to love my immersion blender)

Brown the meat and add vegetables, cooking until tender and most moisture has cooked away.

Season with chosen blend and mix well. At this point, I usually stir in a cup or so of compliant salsa or marinara sauce. The tomatoes add something, but are not apparent in the result.

Place in greased 9x13-pan. Pour eggs over and cover with foil.

Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes. (I use a Pyrex baking dish, so I set oven to 325°F)

It should be set in center and lightly browned. Take care not to over-bake or it will be tough. If it seems a little undercooked, cover it with the foil for a few minutes after it comes out of the oven.

Cool and cut into 8 servings and refrigerate. (I wrap them individually. Unwrap and heat in the microwave, 30 seconds at a time, 2-3 times. Top with salsa and avocado or other complimentary toppings.)

Seasonings:

Breakfast Sausage--good with pork or turkey/pork mixture

1 tsp each of dried sage, dried thyme, paprika, salt, black pepper.  Pinch of nutmeg and cayenne pepper to taste.

Italian- Good with beef or chicken

I use Penzey's Tuscan Sunset blend and add salt

Mexican- Good with beef

I use Mrs. Dash's Chipotle blend and add salt

This is my Egg Pie on top of braised kale, and topped with salsa and avocado. Delicious!

post-3237-0-66879100-1423088915_thumb.jp

Archived