Purdey's Multivitamin & Coconut Water Drinks

CatherineD

Hi, I'm doing my first Whole30 (I'm in the UK) and really confused about drinks.  I have a Purdey's multivitamin drink which contains fruit juices from concentrate.  Am I right in thinking this makes it non-compliant?  Its the same with my coconut water but coconut water from concentrate.

Does anyone have any recommendations for complaint cold drinks in the UK other than water with lemon and limes?

Thanks  B)

• Moderators

Pretty sure that's out -- fruit juice is usually only allowed as an ingredient in recipes, not as something to drink on its own.

I'm not in the UK, but I'll throw a few ideas out there -- infused waters are nice -- I like sliced cucumber and lemon, just slice them and put them in the water, for a 32 oz bottle of water, I usually put 1-2 slices of each (the cucumber taste does linger for a day or so after, no matter how well I clean the bottle out). You can also halve strawberries or blueberries and put in the water, or a few pieces of apple with a bit of a cinnamon stick -- google infused water, you'll see lots of ideas. And if you prefer fizzy water, you can usually use the same ideas with carbonated water.

And this may sound like sacrilege to you there in the UK, but as someone from Texas, I have to point out -- iced tea is actually good. Make tea like you would for hot tea only stronger (the flavor will weaken as the ice melts). Some people sweeten iced tea -- obviously that's out for W30, but I never sweeten mine anyway. My mom loves to squeeze lemon into hers (also unsweetened). Some people will add mint, or lime juice. I'm actually usually too lazy to bother making a pitcher of tea, so I will sometimes just put a tea bag in my water bottle with cold water and let it infuse overnight in the fridge (you can do the same for a whole pitcher, google cold-brewed tea for instructions.) 

Iced coffee, with some coconut milk if you want it creamier.

And finally, once you get used to drinking plain water, you may find yourself craving just plain water -- I do when I haven't had enough for the day. The other stuff is just nice for a change of pace occasionally, or to have if I'm around people drinking things that look more fun than my plain water and I decide I want something different.

• Moderators

Have you tried Kombucha? I love it.

Here in the U.S. we have GT's and my favorites are Gingerberry (packs a gingery punch) and Strawberry Serenity (milder, more sweet).

We ended up buying a SodaStream machine and we make our own sparkling water. Squeeze in a wedge of lime and serve over ice, wonderful!

Pretty sure that's out -- fruit juice is usually only allowed as an ingredient in recipes, not as something to drink on its own.

I'm not in the UK, but I'll throw a few ideas out there -- infused waters are nice -- I like sliced cucumber and lemon, just slice them and put them in the water, for a 32 oz bottle of water, I usually put 1-2 slices of each (the cucumber taste does linger for a day or so after, no matter how well I clean the bottle out). You can also halve strawberries or blueberries and put in the water, or a few pieces of apple with a bit of a cinnamon stick -- google infused water, you'll see lots of ideas. And if you prefer fizzy water, you can usually use the same ideas with carbonated water.

And this may sound like sacrilege to you there in the UK, but as someone from Texas, I have to point out -- iced tea is actually good. Make tea like you would for hot tea only stronger (the flavor will weaken as the ice melts). Some people sweeten iced tea -- obviously that's out for W30, but I never sweeten mine anyway. My mom loves to squeeze lemon into hers (also unsweetened). Some people will add mint, or lime juice. I'm actually usually too lazy to bother making a pitcher of tea, so I will sometimes just put a tea bag in my water bottle with cold water and let it infuse overnight in the fridge (you can do the same for a whole pitcher, google cold-brewed tea for instructions.) 

Iced coffee, with some coconut milk if you want it creamier.

And finally, once you get used to drinking plain water, you may find yourself craving just plain water -- I do when I haven't had enough for the day. The other stuff is just nice for a change of pace occasionally, or to have if I'm around people drinking things that look more fun than my plain water and I decide I want something different.

Thanks, thats great stuff.  I will google infused water :-)

Have you tried Kombucha? I love it.

Here in the U.S. we have GT's and my favorites are Gingerberry (packs a gingery punch) and Strawberry Serenity (milder, more sweet).

We ended up buying a SodaStream machine and we make our own sparkling water. Squeeze in a wedge of lime and serve over ice, wonderful!

I'm trying to find Konbucha here in the UK but haven't so far :-(

I would really like to try Kombucha as I haven't done so yet. However, I checked both Go and Happy Kombucha and they all seem to contain sugar. I think I've read somewhere that you have to use sugar to make kombucha and that it may be Whole 30-compliant anyway...but how do I know which brands are OK?

• Moderators

I would really like to try Kombucha as I haven't done so yet. However, I checked both Go and Happy Kombucha and they all seem to contain sugar. I think I've read somewhere that you have to use sugar to make kombucha and that it may be Whole 30-compliant anyway...but how do I know which brands are OK?

This is the explanation from the Can I Have list:

Kombucha: Read your labels

We like the probiotic benefits of ‘booch, and we think it makes a fine addition to your Whole30 menu. Just read your labels carefully—sugar listed in the ingredients generally means that it was added after fermentation, and that’s a no-go.  Some varieties, like GT Dave’s Enlightened flavors, have fruits and fruit juices added, which are just fine.

I think the labels may say something like: raw kombucha (tea, sugar), fruit juice [or pressed ginger, or spices, whatever they've used]  -- if that's the case, it's okay.

If it says raw kombucha (tea, sugar), fruit juice, sugar [or cane syrup, or honey, or whatever other sweetener] -- that means they've added the sugar after the fermenting, and that's not okay.

I hope that all makes sense and helps clear it up.

Basically, kombucha is fermented sweet tea, so there has to be sugar in there at the beginning, but then as it ferments, the sugar is changed (some websites say it's all eaten by the bacteria in the fermenting process, some say it changes from sucrose to some other form of sugar, I'm not 100% sure). Then, once that fermenting process is done, they add fruit juices or spices or whatever for flavoring and it continues to ferment in the bottle. 

I can buy this brand from my local health food store - you can also order online (in the UK)

http://www.lewtress.co.uk/shop/kombucha-tonics-0000113.aspx

It's not cheap, but it is low in sugar (4 - 5g/100ml mostly) and very potent (you can see bits of SCOBY in the bottle)! It's fairly dry and tangy in taste. I usually choose echinacea or rosehip flavour.

However, I haven't had enquired as to when the sugar is added so I can't confirm it's Whole30 compliant ( and I haven't any during my Whole30!).

www.perfectlypaleo.co.uk sell Love Kombucha. It's not the cheapest drink ever but if you order over £75 you get free next day delivery. They sell loads of other cool paleo stuff too so I've always managed to order enough for the free delivery (my credit card hates me though lol!) You could also buy direct from Love Kombucha, I googled them and I think you only need to buy like 12 bottles for free delivery - never tried that though cos I've always been able to find other stuff I wanted from Perfectly Paleo!

Archived