Help with meals

bwr

I'm in my second Whole30, having started my first in July. I had a couple of days off in between where I tested dairy and found that I do react to it so have gone straight into another Whole30 to keep myself on track.

My first Whole30 I was very positive, I had some great changes in my skin and I ended up losing a couple of cm's off my hips and waist which is always a good thing. I did feel though that my food wasn't always the best as we were in the middle of kitchen renovations and I ended up using an electric frypan a lot of the time which meant sweet potato fried in ghee a lot, I think this contributed to me not being able to shift as many cm's as I wanted to. I also had to rely on fruit a lot to get my 1-2 cups of fruit/veggies and nuts for fat.

This Whole30 I am trying to vary my veggies a lot more and reduce the amount of fruit I eat. I just wanted to make sure that I'm on track as I have been getting some stomach pains after meals that I haven't really had before that can get pretty painful. I'm also feeling incredibly headachy and miserable, though there is a bit of stress going on in my household at the moment as well, so could chalk it down to that.

My meals for the last three days are:

Breakfasts (I tend to eat a lot of the same things):

2 sausages (compliant, made at local butcher), 2 cups of mixed roasted veggies (sweet potato, leek, carrot, parsnip and capsicum) that were brushed with olive oil, salt and pepper and a homemade garlic aioli.

Lunch for 2 of the days:

Beef casserole made with chuck steak, leek, carrots, sweet potato, white potato, garlic, oregano and tomato passata.

Lunch for 3rd day:

Homemade bolognese sauce - beef mince (with fat drained), garlic, tomato passata, salt and pepper with an apple.

Dinner 1st day:

Burrito bowl with chicken, lettuce, tomato and avocado

Dinner 2nd day:

Homemade bolognese sauce - beef mince (with fat drained), garlic, tomato passata, salt and pepper, sweet potato fries and avocado.

Dinner 3rd day:

Turkey and cranberry meatballs (turkey mince and dried cranberries) with roasted sweet potato and garlic aioli

I'm not sure whether my stomach is having delayed reactions to the dairy I ate a couple of days ago, or whether maybe the addition of white potatoes is causing it.

Any help or general feedback would be really appreciated. :) Thanks!

I can't comment on the stomach pains, but I generally try to 'eat the rainbow' as far as veggies are concerned, you've got lots of red, yellows, oranges and white veg -  fewer green and purple.

E.g. I love eating homemade bolognese sauce on top of cooked zuchini (I don't even bother making it into noodles).

I concur on getting more green vegetables in. Your meals look pretty good though hard to judge portion sizes. It is very possible that your stomach is still messed up from dairy or it could be stress or something else.

Are you feeling the stomach distress after every meal? Aside from an increase in vegetables what else is different than your first Whole30? If this is a huge increase in veggies for you than that alone might take a little while to adjust to.

Thanks for the feedback :) I agree I need to eat more of the green veggies. I usually have them steamed or boiled and that is the only function I can't do in my kitchen at the moment. We have a frypan, a microwave and an oven so steaming broccoli or zucchini (which is what I would normally do) isn't able to occur as often. I'll try to figure out a way around this though and add in some wilted baby spinach as well which I can do in the frypan.

The stomach upset was happening after every meal last week, this week it is starting to ease a bit so may have been a side effect of the dairy. Let's hope it goes away for good!

Thanks again :)

I stir fry my zucchini and broccoli. You can add a little water to the pan to steam it a little if you want. Another option may be frozen broccoli? It is already blanched so you just toss it in your stirfry and heat it up. Enjoy!

• Moderators

Thanks for the feedback :) I agree I need to eat more of the green veggies. I usually have them steamed or boiled and that is the only function I can't do in my kitchen at the moment. We have a frypan, a microwave and an oven so steaming broccoli or zucchini (which is what I would normally do) isn't able to occur as often. I'll try to figure out a way around this though and add in some wilted baby spinach as well which I can do in the frypan.

The stomach upset was happening after every meal last week, this week it is starting to ease a bit so may have been a side effect of the dairy. Let's hope it goes away for good!

Thanks again :)

You can cook both broccoli and zucchini in the microwave -- it's not my all-time favorite, but if I'm in a hurry to put together lunch for work, I'll chop up a zucchini, put it in a glass bowl, add some salt & pepper, and then at lunch time I put it in the microwave to cook -- I think it only takes a minute to a minute and a half for a normal sized zucchini, but check it every 30 seconds or so until it's as done as you want it.  Also you can roast both of them, and zucchini is good stir-fried in a little oil in your fry pan on the stove -- I do that and add it to eggs for breakfast sometimes.

Roasted broccoli is absolutely delicious - you could also roast more than enough for one meal and then quickly reheat it in the frypan.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/10269462281/roasted-broccoli-with-crispy-prosciutto-balsamic - I made this for dinner yesterday - amazing!

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/1626061164/roasted-broccoli-bacon-recipe

Or maybe this method? http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/10/13/the-secret-of-veggies-steam-saute/

• 3 weeks later...

Archived