Sauerkraut? The right kind….

joobie73

So, I have searched the forum for the answer to this question and I have decided it would be easiest to post here:

What kind of sauerkraut should I get.  I bought an on shelf organic sauerkraut that contains only cabbage and sea salt.  I thought I was buying the right kind, but I see on this site that it needs to be unpasteurized and from the fridge section.  Well, I have already opened my $7 jar of sauerkraut and had some with my lunch.

Will it help me at all with my digestive troubles to eat this, or should I return my second jar and try to find one that is labelled unpasteurized?

Thanks!!!

• Moderators

Pasteurization kills the live bacteria that we want to consume with sauerkraut, so any of that is not likely to be helpful. In fact, for the live cultures to be "alive," the sauerkraut needs to come from the refrigerated section. I did not understand this stuff at first and ate lots of canned sauerkraut (and enjoyed it) before I learned that I was not getting the probiotics/live culture that makes sauerkraut special. Most of the stuff that is sold from the refrigerated section of a store should be fine. You should see something about live cultures or a list of lactobacillus, etc. 

My favorite brand is Bubbies, although I like most any kind I have ever tried. 

I just did the same thing.Bought a can of Sauerkraut from the shelf that ingredients said Fermented Cabbage, water and salt. Sounded ok but now I realise it has no live bacteria on the ingredients list. Maybe shouldn't bother with it while I'm  on the Whole30 (Day 2)

• Moderators

I just did the same thing.Bought a can of Sauerkraut from the shelf that ingredients said Fermented Cabbage, water and salt. Sounded ok but now I realise it has no live bacteria on the ingredients list. Maybe shouldn't bother with it while I'm  on the Whole30 (Day 2)

It won't hurt anything to eat it, if you want to -- there's nothing that makes it non-compliant. It's still veggies. 

Thanks Tom.  I ended up calling the choices market and they had the right kind and so they kindly let me return the two jars I bought, even the open one!

So, now that I have the right stuff, how much do I eat and how will I know that its working?  

Thanks!!

Archived