Tinkerbell's Whole30 (8/6/14)

tinkerbell

I'm starting my whole30 tomorrow (8/6/14).  I've been eating "paleo" about 80/20 for the last 4 months, though that balance has been slipping a lot more to the "20" side lately.  If I'm honest, the last week it's probably been 60/40 and I'm feeling it!

I was a vegetarian for 11 years and a vegan for 2 and recently added meat into my diet 4 months ago.  I feel worlds better eating meat!  I do aerial acrobatics and notice that I recover so much better when I clean up my diet.  Sometimes I train for several hours so it's very important that I'm strong and have the endurance to work safely, especially when I'm 20 feet in the air upside down and holding on with one knee and one hand!

I'm doing the AIP as I struggle with a skin condition that has a tendency to flare, even when I am following a strict whole30 diet.  I've noticed it is calmer when I ease up on eggs (I eat a lot of them) and flares with nightshades.   My physician agrees that it's worth a shot.

Goals:

1. Try new complaint recipes to combat food boredom

2.  Get 8 hours of sleep at least 5 days out of the week

3. Kick my sugar dragon to the curb!

I'm very familiar with the rules and have done all my prepwork. I'm ready to do this!

Thanks guys!

Day 1:

I was at a physical therapy boards prep course for most of the day. Afterwards I went straight to training and didn't get home until 9:00. This made planning a little tricky!

M1: salmon, summer squash sautéed in coconut oil, black coffee

M2: salad (romaine, butter lettuce, kale), carrots, salmon, with EVOO for dressing. Handful of raspberries

Pre-WO: chicken

Post-WO: chicken, zucchini

Dinner: turkey, broccoli sautéed in coconut oil

Workout was 1 hr of aerial silks, 1 hour of aerial hoop.

Day 2:

Didn't get all that much sleep last night (6.5 hours) due to getting home late from training and having to wake up early for the 2nd day of the boards prep course. I'm excited to be able to get some sleep tomorrow.

M1: turkey, zucchini sautéed in coconut oil, coffee

M2: big salad with kale, romaine, butter lettuce, carrots, chicken, EVOO for dressing. Handful of blueberries

M3: grassfed steak, stirfried veggies (cauliflower, summer squash, onions, carrots) in coconut oil with coconut aminos. Plum

Post-workout: turkey burger patty, broccoli

Workout:

1 hr aerial strength and conditioning class with a former cirque du soleil performer. It was such a tough class today!!

1 hr open gym aerial silks practice. It was very productive!

Tomorrow I'll go grocery shopping to restock my fridge and get some new foods!

Wow.. Training with a former cirque du soleil acrobat, sounds so exciting. Pre WO include any fat?

Yes, training with him is very exciting (and also intimidating!) He had us doing these really tough gymnastic-style drills yesterday and I can feel it today! Thankfully, I'm not as sore as I thought I'd be. For fat, my pre-workout meal just had the coconut oil the chicken was cooked in.

Day 3

Got to sleep in a little so that was nice! I'm still a little tired today but not bad. I'm not as sore as I thought I'd be from the workout yesterday, so that's good! Back when I was a vegetarian, it would have taken me like 3 days to recover to this point. Still sore enough to be a rest day, since I've got 2 hours of aerial tomorrow.

I scored a huge piece (about 2 pounds) of fresh wild caught salmon from whole foods for $19. It was on sale for $8.99/lb, saving $8/lb. It barely fit on my cooking tray! They also had a sale on berries. I restocked my veggies and also got some frozen organic ones I can use for easy stirfrys if I'm out of fresh ones or in a rush.

M1: stirfry of local grassfed ground beef + veggie mix (zucchini, carrots, onions, spinach) + pinch of fresh garlic + coconut oil. Black coffee

M2: big piece of delicious salmon (cooked with coconut oil), asparagus (sautéed with EVOO and dash of coconut aminos). Handful of blueberries.

M3: Salmon, veggie mix from the morning (zucchini, carrots, onions), small sweet potato cooked in coconut oil. Handful of blackberries

Day 4:

Woke up, lips felt awesome. No inflammation and the protective barrier is back.

M1: stirfry of ground beef, lots of broccoli, onions, cooked in coconut oil with dash of coconut aminos. Topped with 1/2 avocado. Cup of black coffee

Post-workout: salmon, zucchini

M2: salmon, leftover asparagus cooked in EVOO. Handful of blueberries

M3: bison steak, sweet potato, broccoli, everything cooked with coconut oil. Handful of blackberries

Workout: 2 hours of aerial silks class. It was a small class size so I was super productive and got to really focus on both learning new tricks and improving recently learned ones. I was really tired by the end!

I didn't do a pre-workout meal because my breakfast was late and with aerial, I can't eat too close to training because I'm upside down, sometimes spinning, with fabric wrapped tight around my stomach. I think it worked out fine without it.

Day 5:

Woke up, skin above lips slightly flared but not too bad.

M1: leftover bison, summer squash in coconut oil, black coffee

M2: turkey burger on romaine lettuce, zuchinni, handful of blueberries

M3: chicken thighs cooked in olive oil, romaine & spinach, handful of raspberries

Workout: les mills combat 60

Day 6:

M1: turkey burger over spinach, sweet potatoes cooked in coconut oil. Black coffee.

M2: spinach, chicken thighs in coconut oil, handful of blueberries.

M3: salmon, zuchinni, sweet potatoes (veggies cooked in coconut oil). Spinach salad. A little honeydew melon

Sleep: about 8 hours.

Workout: les mills combat 60

Day 7:

So over it today. I want a huge cookie covered in frosting, like those cookie cakes. Or peanut butter. Or cheesecake. Basically I just want all the non compliant things :( I soldiered on though.

M1: turkey burger, broccoli sautéed in coconut oil and coconut aminos

M2: chicken, sweet potato, zucchini cooked in coconut oil. Blueberries

M3: grassfed burger in lettuce wrap, sweet potato, zuchinni in coconut oil

Sleep: 7 hours

Day 7:

So over it today. I want a huge cookie covered in frosting, like those cookie cakes. Or peanut butter. Or cheesecake. Basically I just want all the non compliant things :( I soldiered on though.

Sounds like you need to stay away from the internet/magazines/supermarkets/any place advertising or selling food today! Your food sounds super varied, so it can't be food boredom - it's just food envy, and you don't need to expose yourself to that!

Your aerial sounds so full on! Two hours of training a night? That's a huge commitment - you must really love it.

Sounds like you need to stay away from the internet/magazines/supermarkets/any place advertising or selling food today! Your food sounds super varied, so it can't be food boredom - it's just food envy, and you don't need to expose yourself to that!

Your aerial sounds so full on! Two hours of training a night? That's a huge commitment - you must really love it.

Haha yes, major food envy!! I feel better today, thankfully.

And I love aerial! It's so much fun! It's like a chance to fly, to test your limits and overcome them. I used to only workout for aesthetic benefits-- all my goals were to lose weight or get my thighs smaller. Workouts were a dreaded chore. But with aerial, everything has shifted. My fitness goals are to be strong enough to learn a new trick, or gain the endurance to be up in the air for 5+ minutes while performing. That shift in mind has been so freeing! It's like a form of self-expression and I'm totally in love with it.

How did you get in to aerial? It seems a little out there :-).

Or is it the new pole dancing and I'm just out of the loop? :-)

Haha, it is pretty different! It's starting to get more popular but not as popular as pole dancing. I had a friend who did aerial silks and I always thought it was cool. When I moved to pittsburgh, I wanted to try something new and different. I had recently seen a YouTube video of an aerial silks performer so that idea was in my head. I did a google search for aerial silks in pittsburgh and found a place.

When I did my first class, it was fun but a lot harder than I thought! I was actually kind of frustrated that I wasn't good at it, so I resolved to go back and get better. In the process, I completely fell in love with it. I've been doing it for 2 years now and have now started performing. We keep getting more and more people in the beginner classes as the word gets out, which is awesome!

Day 8:

M1: chicken, sweet potatoes & zucchini cooked in coconut oil. 1 cup black coffee

M2: big spinach salad with salmon, asparagus sautéed in coconut oil & coconut aminos, carrots

M3: surf n' turf of chicken & Mahi Mahi. Mixed veggies cooked in coconut oil: broccoli, zucchini, sweet potato, asparagus, carrots

Workout: 5.5 mile run in 50:27. It was so nice to get out and run! It was beautiful out.

I'm getting patch tested for allergies so I'm not allowed to workout again until Saturday. I'm glad was able to get my morning run in!

Super interesting :)

You're clearly feeling good with the Whole 30 eating too - are you finding AIP restrictive/hard?

It's a little hard but definitely manageable. Once I got past the notion that I needed eggs for breakfast and I got used to normal meat & veggies, it was easier. I didn't use ton of nightshades before, but it can be a little tough avoiding them. But I'm feeling really good, which is encouraging. And I have a great support system with my sister, who is also doing the whole30. The forums also really help me! When I have issues, they are non-AIP ones--mainly where I will crave cakes, s'mores, all that stuff.

What helps me is to look at the grocery list and focus on all the things I can have, then try and build a variety of meals from that. I'm going shopping today to look for some new veggies!

Day 9:

M1:

post-49776-0-58345200-1408057022_thumb.j

turkey burger over spinach, with a little broccoli. 1/2 avocado. Black coffee

M2:

post-49776-0-55334400-1408057102_thumb.j

spinach salad with chicken, avocado, jicama, carrots. Small handful of raspberries

M3:

post-49776-0-96370300-1408057130_thumb.j

steak and shrimp sautéed in coconut oil with assorted roasted veggies (Brussels sprouts, turnip, carrots, rutabaga, golden beets)

My legs are kind of sore from my run, which makes me feel better about the next few days being forced rest days.

Dinner was sooo good! Definitely no food boredom with that! I added pictures. For dinner I had an extra half piece of steak (it was thin) and a few more shrimp, with a bit more veggies.

Day 10:

M1:

post-49776-0-54946300-1408140683_thumb.j

Turkey burger, zucchini in coconut oil with coconut aminos, spinach. 1/2 cup of coffee

M2:

post-49776-0-63467800-1408140616_thumb.j

Shrimp sautéed in a generous amount of coconut oil and lemon, then I cooked the asparagus in the leftover oil.

M3:

post-49776-0-75335600-1408140540_thumb.j

Salmon, broccoli & carrots in coconut aminos and coconut oil, spinach

Workout:

1 hour walk to get my 10,000 steps

2 sets of 7 pull-ups

Feeling good today :)

Day 19!! Still going strong, I started a new internship that has me working MWF 7:00-7:00 and T/Th 8:00-12:00 with a 1+ hour commute each way.  So it's definitely kept me busy and been an exercise in planning!  I've followed the template for every meal, though!  Even when I have to wake up at 5:00 for breakfast.

Day 18:

M1: ground bison with broccoli, cooked in coconut oil.  Half a cup of black coffee

M2: lamb with carrots, broccoli, zuchinni, sweet potato

M3: turkey burger with leftover stirfry veggies, cooked in coconut oil.  Handful blueberries

Day 19:

M1: turkery burger with carrots, zuchinni, broccoli in coconut oil.  Cup of black coffee

M2: salmon and asparagus cooked in coconut oil

M3: lamb steak, zuchinni, sweet potato in coconut oil

M2 and M3 are planned for today, will update if there are any changes.  Today I will be doing a lot of meal prep for the week.

Oh, and I keep having dreams where I accidentally break my whole30!  In one, I was eating pizza (I almost never eat pizza) without realizing it wasn't compliant.  Last night I had a whole sequence of these kind of dreams where I was eating ice cream and some kind of coconut milk with carrageenan.  I haven't had any sort of milk (nut milk or regular) for months, and I don't know where the ice cream came from.  I'm always really relieved when I wake up and realize it was a dream. I know this is a symptom in the timeline, but I hope it fades soon!

Day 20!

M1: zucchini, salmon, cooked in coconut oil. 1/2 cup black coffee

M2: big spinach salad with 2 chicken breasts, veggie mix of asparagus, carrots, broccoli, beets, turnips. EVOO for salad dressing

M3: lamb steak, sweet potato in coconut oil

Archived