Uh-oh, I've fallen....

RebeccaJean

Hey Ladies. I completed my first whole30 on Jul 2/14. I lost 15lbs and 15+ inches, felt great. I decided to have a few non approved items and then back on the whole30 wagon for another 30 days. I've had to restart 5 times (with all out binges in between). I feel tired, moody, sluggish, bloated and defeated. I'm mad at myself because it worked SO well for me, yet I can't seem to get back on track. Why is it harder this time? Anyone else have a hard re-start the second time around? How can I get my whole30 mojo back? I really want to do another 30days, but picking a day and starting is scary to me. HELP!!!! (on a positive note, I've managed to keep off most of the weight I've lost, only up 3lbs, although I've ate like crap)

Hi There,

Sorry to hear that you are struggling.  But know this - a lot of other people have a difficult time the second time around.  Our brains are like - sigh - haven't we done this already?  We have nothing to prove like the first time we did it.

Now is the time to delve into why you want to do your second whole 30.  What are your motivations.  Our motivations change as we go through this process.  So each time you do a whole 30 take a look at the 9 factors - http://whole9life.com/2013/01/whole9-our-9-factors/

and go through them and write down on what you are hoping to achieve. This may help you with your focus.

Best of luck to you. And yes you can do this!

You no longer have to enthusiasm of your first time. It is much harder to do another one especially so close to your first. I assume you did the reintro phase so you know what ingredietns bother you? Now it's time for you to ride your own bike and figure out what will work for you for the rest of your life.Remeber this is a whole30 not a whole365. You are not meant to live this way forever. It won't let me post the link to the article Ride Your Own Bike. Do a google search for it. It should help you. Good Luck!

Thanks! The first time around was a challenge, but it was empowering to complete a full 30 days, I never thought I could do it. I loved the plan and what it did for my overall health, so I really want to do another 30 days. My biggest motivation is to loose weight/conquer my negative food relationship. My husband and I are planning to start trying for a baby in October/Nov. I'd really love to loose another 10-20lbs before I get pregnant so I can feel okay about carrying a baby for 9+months. I'm also hoping another 30 days will get my body ready for conceiving. We've been married 5 years and we are both ready to start a family, but I feel anxious and pressured to get my lifestyle in check before a baby comes along. It is my own thoughts and feelings about being pregnant it that add the pressure, because everyone else in my life is being positive and supportive. I just want to be sure I'm making good choices and that I'm on track to a healthy lifestyle so I can continue with it while pregnant and beyond. Time is of the essence.

• Moderators

Thanks! The first time around was a challenge, but it was empowering to complete a full 30 days, I never thought I could do it. I loved the plan and what it did for my overall health, so I really want to do another 30 days. My biggest motivation is to loose weight/conquer my negative food relationship. My husband and I are planning to start trying for a baby in October/Nov. I'd really love to loose another 10-20lbs before I get pregnant so I can feel okay about carrying a baby for 9+months. I'm also hoping another 30 days will get my body ready for conceiving. We've been married 5 years and we are both ready to start a family, but I feel anxious and pressured to get my lifestyle in check before a baby comes along. It is my own thoughts and feelings about being pregnant it that add the pressure, because everyone else in my life is being positive and supportive. I just want to be sure I'm making good choices and that I'm on track to a healthy lifestyle so I can continue with it while pregnant and beyond. Time is of the essence.

Sounds like you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself.

Life stress is always a factor in how we feel and how we eat. Take 20 minutes out of your day, go sit somewhere you won't be disturbed. Set a timer for 20 minutes. Stare at the wall and focus on your breathing, in and out. Thoughts will creep in, no matter, just redirect your attention to the wall and your breathing. Repeat. Be kind to yourself.

It really makes a difference.

I'm doing a Whole30 right now because I can't ride my own bike yet either, and I JUST went through the thought process you just described with 5+ failed restarts. It was not a pretty picture, either.

After you do your soul-searching and focusing, reread the book. ISWF resonates with me every time I read it, and reminds me of why it's important to really, really apply to this program 100%. If you decide to commit to the Whole30 again, take a week or two (or better, two pay periods) to really plan ahead. Make Whole30 compliant soups for several dinners in a row and freeze the leftovers. Shop your sale ads and pack your freezer. Experiment with some vegetable recipes and pick some go-to meals you didn't have last time. Try a new way of eating hard boiled eggs. Get an extra propane tank or stock an extra bag of charcoal if you have a grill. Start thinking about the rules again, and start adhering to a few to give yourself a head start on a habit (I quit eating legumes and dairy a week before I started this Whole30, and it really eased my transition). Start taking your coffee black again if you don't already. Stock up on coffee and herbal teas. Search around town for a new produce stand. Stock up on canned fish and olives. Make a plan for the inevitable "there's no way I'm cooking" nights, like heating up a container of leftover soup or chili instead. Give yourself EVERY possible advantage, and then jump in. I am now on Day 15 of my Whole60 and I had made up an excuse to quit on Day 7-8 on every other attempt since January. Our food budget is tighter than ever (5 weeks this month and last month meant our money didn't go as far) and I'm still going strong because I committed weeks ahead of time and seriously planned.

You can do it! We just have to outsmart our own excuses!

You can do it! We just have to outsmart our own excuses!

I love that.  Outsmart our own excuses.  

I second what ultrarunnergirl said about focusing and breathing...meditation goes a long way to calm random anxieties and help us focus on now.  

And examine what might be your motivation for self-sabotage.  Are you anxious or ambivalent about starting a family?  It seems like your pressure to lose that last 10-20 before you start trying to conceive could be part of why you keep re-starting.  (sorry if that's too personal, I do tend to play Jr. psychologist). 

Good luck and one day at a time. 

Hey Ladies. I completed my first whole30 on Jul 2/14. I lost 15lbs and 15+ inches, felt great. I decided to have a few non approved items and then back on the whole30 wagon for another 30 days. I've had to restart 5 times (with all out binges in between). I feel tired, moody, sluggish, bloated and defeated. I'm mad at myself because it worked SO well for me, yet I can't seem to get back on track. Why is it harder this time? Anyone else have a hard re-start the second time around? How can I get my whole30 mojo back? I really want to do another 30days, but picking a day and starting is scary to me. HELP!!!! (on a positive note, I've managed to keep off most of the weight I've lost, only up 3lbs, although I've ate like crap)

What was your original motivation for doing a Whole 30?

...I feel anxious and pressured to get my lifestyle in check before a baby comes along. It is my own thoughts and feelings about being pregnant it that add the pressure, because everyone else in my life is being positive and supportive. I just want to be sure I'm making good choices and that I'm on track to a healthy lifestyle so I can continue with it while pregnant and beyond. Time is of the essence.

Others have said this and I agree: this kind of pressure makes it so much harder. 

As someone who has gone through many layers of great change before, during and after pregnancies, I can promise you that you don't figure it out now and forever. Find something that works, something that's an improvement over before -  and be very very nice to yourself as you let that become normal for you... and then you'll know when you're ready for the next challenge. Maybe a Whole30 is perfect right now since it can be such a lovely way to re-set, to take the decision-making out of things -  but I wouldn't put so much expectation on it. It's not going to fix the next 5 years for you, not going to guarantee anything...

I've discovered some things -including Whole30 - when my children were old enough to make some of these discoveries with me, and it's been really nice. Although it's a nice idea that I would have somehow figured it all out before my first pregnancy, I'm pretty happy with how everything's evolved, and happy that my children have seen me experiment and explore new ways of eating. 

Thank you for all of the support. I do feel pressure! Pressure from myself to be a certain weight before I conceive. I worry about my health and the health of my baby. (which is over worrying because I'm not even pregnant yet) Although my family and close friends are all supportive I still have negative thoughts about it. I've tried to figure out where they come from, but I'm not sure. I know I have a negative image of myself right now, and I feel really down; because I am eating/sleeping/feeling like crap every day and its wearing me down. But that isn't enough to get me to stick to a whole 30, or even paleo. I re-read some of my old posts on the forum and I can feel the energy, positivity and overall awesomeness in my posts. I miss that. I think I am beating myself up because I fell off the whole30/paleo wagon. The other day I had a horrible indigestion attack that turn into an anxiety attack (I don't handle physical discomfort well), it was miserable. I was thinking to myself "Why did you eat all that food? You knew you'd feel bad!" Then the next day came along and I ate more crappy food. *sigh*

I think a re-read of the ISWF is a good suggestion, maybe that will help to inspire me again. I also agree that life is a balance and its good to try and find what works for me personally. I used to do a sleep meditation at night and I had a set bed time, I haven't done that in weeks so I'm missing out on that pre-sleep relaxation. Maybe I should just focus on changing one thing for a while, like sleeping well, or walking every day, or cutting out dairy? Maybe after a few days/weeks of making some positive choices another whole30 will be in my future. 

Thank you again for all the support, I appreciate all of the comments and suggestions. It is up to me to make a decision on how to get back on track; but now I have some great ideas! <3

I know!! ARG! Dammit, me and all my controlling and pressure-y tendencies, LOL. One step at a time is a good way to look at it. I am going to re-read it starts with food, work on my stress levels and getting adequate sleep. I think once my mind is clearer/calmer making the healthy choice/creating a plan/start date will be easier. 

Sounds like you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself.

Life stress is always a factor in how we feel and how we eat. Take 20 minutes out of your day, go sit somewhere you won't be disturbed. Set a timer for 20 minutes. Stare at the wall and focus on your breathing, in and out. Thoughts will creep in, no matter, just redirect your attention to the wall and your breathing. Repeat. Be kind to yourself.

It really makes a difference.

Love this, I think this should be another one of my daily goals.

I'm happy to report that I went to be early and completed 1 hour of sleep meditation before bed. Yay for baby steps!! 

One hour is a long time! Meditation for more than ten minutes is always difficult for me. Great job!!

RebeccaJean - I was thinking about you.   You've heard all of the testimonies of women who were soooo stressed out that the baby never came until......they decided to adopt and suddenly all of the stress went out the window...

And lo and behold, RebeccaJean....another baby is on the way.   Big Surprise.

Stress does things to our bodies.   "Tiny steps for tiny steps".   One thing at a time.

"Tiny steps for tiny steps"....all credit goes to Tinman.

Yea, stress is horrible. I do my best to keep it in check, but lately its been wild. I assume because I'm treating my body like crap my mind is going a bit bananas. I am working on little steps to get on track, one thing at a time. There is nothing like a warm bubble bath, candles, and music to de-stress from a long day. That is my go to when I get overwhelmed, it works every time! :) 

• 3 weeks later...
Update - I'm happy to report that I am day #2 of my 2nd whole30. I've inspired one of my co-workers to join in; and she has two of her friends who are all doing their first whole30!! It's great!!

I weighed/measured last night, sadly I put back on all the inches I lost, including 6 inches around my belly alone (some areas stayed the same) and I'm up 8lbs. This is a lesson learned for me how easy it is to put weight back on when not following a whole30/paleo lifestyle. Just like life, conquering my relationship with food and health is a journey. I feel more prepared and knowledgeable this time around, which is awesome! The only goal I've made this round is to complete this whole30 100%! 

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement and support!!

Well I'm on re-start #2 today. Fell off on Sept 6, restarted on Sept 8, and fell off later that night. Since Sept 8th, all of my meals have been whole30 compliant, I've had an issue with snacking. A few crackers, a handful of chips, some juice; so it wasn't a huge fall down; but enough to warrant a re-start. So here I am, trying to wade through this whole30 thing and get my mind and heart on the same page. I can do this, I want to do this!! Day #1 here we go....... 

I just started my second whole30 this week and I can really identify with your struggles!  My first was in January.  I have not weighed myself much since then, but when I weighed in on Sunday I saw that I had totally undone my weight loss, and then some.   On day 2 I felt so terrible that it made me realize how bad my eating really got since then.  I almost quit on day 2.

My second W30 experience is a strange mix of so much easier and so much harder at the same time.  I am just taking it one day at a time, and hoping that I start feeling the benefits soon.

Good luck!

@Heather "My second W30 experience is a strange mix of so much easier and so much harder at the same time.  I am just taking it one day at a time, and hoping that I start feeling the benefits soon" - VERY well said. I was talking with a co-worker today because my mind is like "Ugh we've done this already"; but it is easy because my body really loves the clean eating and responds well. I lost 15lbs/15inches on my first go on June. I've gained back about 8lbs and ALL of my inches; but I've learned that if I want to sustain/loose weight, clean eating/paleo is the best way to get it done. I can't expect to stay the same size eating chips and fast food, lol. I was naive, because I thought I had conquered my addiction to food/using food as comfort...I'm still working on it. One day at a time, one positive choice at a time. Good luck to you as well!! WE can do this!! 

• Moderators

Tom Denham had a great piece of advice to a Whole30er who asked for a judgment call on the fact that he had snacked after Meal 3 (on technically compliant but food without brakes choices) every night of his Whole30.

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/21440-still-snacking-still-w30/#entry225499

Tom's response really resonated with me:

Find something to keep you busy at night besides eating. Go for a walk, work a crossword puzzle, polish your cookware, learn to knit....

• 4 weeks later...

I agree the second time is super hard, and then like others mentioned you can use the Whole 30 to create a custom plan.  I don't necessary have a lot of items that cause me trouble, I am very lucky but I have adopted a really clean eating policy during the work week, it keeps me happy and motivated during the week and less likely to binge on the weekends or time off. I still see results and I haven't gained anything back.

Archived