What A Serving of Eggs Looks Like

Physibeth

Guest Jense58

Just ordered my duck eggs for pick up on Sat morning ... can't wait to see how many fit in my palm! Cross all digits that those girls keep dropping for a few more weeks!  B)

Karin ~ I've personally found that after 3 eggs, I can add as many more as I could stuff in me but they don't provide the same satisfaction and "appetite duration" as if I keep the eggs at about 2 and add a couple ounces of meat.  Maybe give that combo a try if the eggs aren't doing it for you?

This works for me as well. Typical breakfast is two eggs combined or cooked with some other protein, such as sausage (frittata), kalua pig (omelette), prosciutto (savory muffin), or smoked salmon (scramble). Add some veggie servings and a little fruit in coconut milk and this lasts me at least five hours.

• 1 month later...

We as moderators see a lot of confusion around here on what constitutes a serving of eggs when eggs are your primary protein source. We tell you as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping but I still don't think people actually try this. So I thought I'd post a visual for you folks. It would be fun if other people added their own pictures too. Try the experiment.

Context - I'm 5'4" female and these are large eggs.

4 eggs?! For breakfast, I eat *two* cooked in fat (usually coconut oil), along with either 1/2 sweet potato, 1/2 avocado, or a banana -- and that keeps me plenty satiated until lunch. Sometimes I'll switch it up and scramble my 2 eggs with zucchini & onions or whatever other veggies I happen to have in the fridge.

• 3 weeks later...

If eggs are your protein, do they also count towards your fat in a meal?  I know the yolks have a bunch of fat in them, as well as protein / micronutrients, so I wonder.

I typically eat 3 eggs and some vegetables (both sautéed in ghee or another cooking fat) for breakfast, but I wonder if I should be adding in another fat source as well.

Thanks!

yup. If you have enough eggs you are covered for both protein and fat. That said, the fat in the template is really a minimum. It's fine to have additional fat with eggs if you want it.

Oh man! I didn't know that! I have been eating eggs along with a fat source. I know you said you can have an additional fat, but should you? I wonder if I'm getting too much fat.

• Administrators

Oh man! I didn't know that! I have been eating eggs along with a fat source. I know you said you can have an additional fat, but should you? I wonder if I'm getting too much fat.

Try your next breakfast without the added fat and see how you do.  If you're hungry before 4-5 hours is up you'll have your answer!  :)

• Like 2

Does anyone else believe there is a limit to how many you should have a day for a daily egg eater? My lcl and hcl levels are great.

Nope. You can have a full dozen every day if you want or more, although I would recommend varying your protein sources. Dietary intake of cholesterol has very little impact on blood levels of cholesterol, but it is possible to develop sensitivities to foods like eggs if you eat too much too often to the exclusion of other foods.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I am eating three eggs at a meal. That seems to me enough for me! One problem I am struggling with is spending tons of time cutting vegetables for each meal! I feel like that's all I do! I guess I am just too lazy!

Many people find it helpful to do a weekly cook up, in which they chop vegetables to last for most of the week. Much easier than chopping them for each meal.

Here's a description of how that can work:

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/01/14/paleo-kitchen-the-method-behind-my-madness/

• Administrators

I am eating three eggs at a meal. That seems to me enough for me! One problem I am struggling with is spending tons of time cutting vegetables for each meal! I feel like that's all I do! I guess I am just too lazy!

You're not lazy at all, you're adapting to a new system of preparation.  It gets easier and you get faster!

• Like 2

I like spinach and mushrooms in my scrambled eggs, and I typically use frozen, chopped spinach that I toss in the pan either frozen or, if I happen to think about it the night before, put some in a dish in the fridge. Lots of times, I don't even slice my mushrooms anymore, I just pop the stem out, break in half, and then break the cap into rough chunks. Add fat of choice (usually ghee with eggs) saute my veg until nearly done, toss in my eggs, scramble, scramble, scramble, and slide onto plate. Most times, I serve with a side of tomatoes or maybe left over roasted sweet potatoes, and some avocado or olives. Yum! 

I have a very active 3 year old, so I totally understand not having time to get things together! 

• Like 2

• Administrators

I like spinach and mushrooms in my scrambled eggs, and I typically use frozen, chopped spinach that I toss in the pan either frozen or, if I happen to think about it the night before, put some in a dish in the fridge. Lots of times, I don't even slice my mushrooms anymore, I just pop the stem out, break in half, and then break the cap into rough chunks. Add fat of choice (usually ghee with eggs) saute my veg until nearly done, toss in my eggs, scramble, scramble, scramble, and slide onto plate. Most times, I serve with a side of tomatoes or maybe left over roasted sweet potatoes, and some avocado or olives. Yum! 

I have a very active 3 year old, so I totally understand not having time to get things together!

Haha, I sort of do this too, "rough cooking". I buy the pre sliced mushrooms from Costco but they are enormous so I throw in the pan and just split them with my spatula. It doesn't all have to be pretty. :)

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

They may be a "can I have..." post, but what about adding egg whites? (FYI I'm new and just starting my first 30 tomorrow). I didn't see any "added" things, just egg whites...is it ok to add egg whites to scrambled eggs?

We want you to eat the whole egg. That is to say, add whole eggs to your scrambled eggs. ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My 7-1/2-year-old can hold four (large) eggs.

Wow! Can you post a picture??

They may be a "can I have..." post, but what about adding egg whites? (FYI I'm new and just starting my first 30 tomorrow). I didn't see any "added" things, just egg whites...is it ok to add egg whites to scrambled eggs?

The majority of the nutrients of the egg are in the yolk. Egg whites are good for post workout meals when you don't want fat but otherwise eat your yolks!

• 2 months later...

So, now I'm confused. I read in this thread that the fat in eggs should count as your fat serving (if you eat 3 eggs and can only hold 3 eggs in your hand without dropping). But I've also read that if you eat fatty protein, like salmon or fatty cuts of beef than you should still include an added fat. So, if I eat 3 eggs and 1 cup of veggies sauteed in olive or coconut oil for breakfast, should I be eating 1/2 of an avocado or not? I've been trying to but have not been able to finish it.  

So, now I'm confused. I read in this thread that the fat in eggs should count as your fat serving (if you eat 3 eggs and can only hold 3 eggs in your hand without dropping). But I've also read that if you eat fatty protein, like salmon or fatty cuts of beef than you should still include an added fat. So, if I eat 3 eggs and 1 cup of veggies sauteed in olive or coconut oil for breakfast, should I be eating 1/2 of an avocado or not? I've been trying to but have not been able to finish it.  

Personally I don't really count the fat in egg yolks unless it's pre or post WO, and I always add an additional fat source to my meals regardless of how fatty the protein is.

It's honestly hard to go overboard on good fats.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I struggled to eat a full portion of eggs for meal 1 as hard boiled but found it much easier as an omelette? Don't understand why but that held true from day 1-day 31! However by day 31 I was more inclined to have leftover meat for meal 1, just seemed quicker to eat and speed matters in the morning when you have to get 3 small people to school!