What A Serving of Eggs Looks Like

Physibeth

wow!! That is amazing.  I don't think I ever even assumed more than 2 eggs is "normal".  BUT.... I have a HUGE goal to stick to the 3 meals a day format, which may involve eating more per meal to avoid snacking.  

I wish this same visual could be created with other forms of meat, like chicken thighs (bone-in) and whatnot to know what your portion should be!! I feel the palm-size method isn't very clear for something like chicken wings/thighs/ribs... stuff like that.  

Thanks for sharing the egg trick!

aviva

• Like 1

• Moderators

wow!! That is amazing.  I don't think I ever even assumed more than 2 eggs is "normal".  BUT.... I have a HUGE goal to stick to the 3 meals a day format, which may involve eating more per meal to avoid snacking.  

I wish this same visual could be created with other forms of meat, like chicken thighs (bone-in) and whatnot to know what your portion should be!! I feel the palm-size method isn't very clear for something like chicken wings/thighs/ribs... stuff like that.  

aviva

If you wanted, you could pull the meat off the bone of something like the chicken thighs or wings and pile it up and see how it measures up. It doesn't have to be exact, just be sure it's at least roughly the size of your palm.

And yes, eating big meals is the key to not needing snacks.

• Like 1

I definitely need to up my egg count. Today is day 1 of round 2 (round 1 was a year ago...maybe this is round 1 now because it's a different calendar year?) and I had a cup of shredded potatoes with two eggs and 1/4 avocado. I AM STARVING! Tomorrow I will have to eat much more as breakfast was only three hours ago!

• Moderators

I definitely need to up my egg count. Today is day 1 of round 2 (round 1 was a year ago...maybe this is round 1 now because it's a different calendar year?) and I had a cup of shredded potatoes with two eggs and 1/4 avocado. I AM STARVING! Tomorrow I will have to eat much more as breakfast was only three hours ago!

Try another egg (or some other protein if you just don't want more eggs), + a cup or more of some other veggie in addition to your potatoes, and have half to a whole avocado, rather than a fourth of one. (See meal template for sizes of fat servings for things like avocado, olives, coconut, etc.)

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe that I can fit six large eggs in my open (outstretched) hand. I really got a kick out of seeing the photos people included of what all your hands look like with all the many eggs they could hold! I won't be eating six eggs at a sitting on a regular basis (unless I'm aiming to get sick of eggs anytime soon), so I frequently prepare three eggs plus another type of protein. This is a good thread for beginners like myself!

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! I don't guess I've ever seen goose eggs before, I didn't realize they were that huge.

Yup, although the yoke is disappointingly small and you practically need a hammer to break through the shell - they've a good rich flavour when you do though!

Yup, although the yoke is disappointingly small and you practically need a hammer to break through the shell - they've a good rich flavour when you do though!

This batch of yolks was pretty large, and one of the eggs actually had two yolks inside! #bonus

But very true about the concrete shells. Stick with smaller eggs for hard-boiling and peeling!

• 9 months later...

Since this is the egg thread I thought I'd ask my questions here.

I'm doing my second Whole30 because I didn't reintroduce well and my achy joints and fatigue have returned. I'm 54 and was diagnosed with Celiacs a year ago. I've been eating eggs every day and I'm on day 21 and still have achy joints. Should I not be eating eggs every day or at all? Should I be doing the autoimmune protocol? After the Whole30 the first time, I had virtually no pain and I ate eggs every day. And I LOVE eggs.

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, Barbara Connolly said:

Since this is the egg thread I thought I'd ask my questions here.

I'm doing my second Whole30 because I didn't reintroduce well and my achy joints and fatigue have returned. I'm 54 and was diagnosed with Celiacs a year ago. I've been eating eggs every day and I'm on day 21 and still have achy joints. Should I not be eating eggs every day or at all? Should I be doing the autoimmune protocol? After the Whole30 the first time, I had virtually no pain and I ate eggs every day. And I LOVE eggs.

Hi Barbara, eggs can be inflammatory to some people. The only way to know if you are one of those people is to try eliminating them and see how you do. No one here can really say whether or not it'll help you, you just have to test it out.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Barbara Connolly said:

Thanks Ladyshanny. I just don't know what I would eat for breakfast because I love breakfast food like eggs with my veggies mixed in them. 

This is just something you have to decide to change. There's nothing that says breakfast has to be eggs or other "breakfast" food, it can be leftovers, or soups, or fish, or meatballs, with whatever vegetables you prefer. Here's one thread of non-egg breakfasts: 

And if you google Whole30 no egg breakfast or something along those lines, you can find other discussions as well. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, marenka said:

Do the 4 eggs (one palm) correspond to portion protein in the post-workout meal? Only the egg whites?

Post-workout is about half the size of a full meal usually, so try 2-3 egg whites and see how that goes. If you feel you need more, that's fine as well.

• 4 weeks later...

I find that eggs as my sole protein source in a meal do not keep me full very long. If i add in some meat though, it keeps me full much longer. I am a 5'9" female, 250lbs, and i can hold 5-6 eggs in one hand (i have done it when i gather eggs from my chickens) but i have a hard time eating more than 3 eggs in a meal with fat and veggies, especially for breakfast.

• 4 months later...

All my leftover veges from the night before are resauteed, l then determine 2 or 3 eggs. But also add 1 homemade pork sausage so usually 2. All good fats, protein and veges for breakfast. And I never felt so good just eating eggs... 

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2014 at 6:39 PM, Mdln said:

Thanks for clarifying! I've been thinking that my measly two eggs in the morning needed more something, so I've been throwing in the scramble about half a serving of whatever leftover meat I have in the fridge. Do you think the leftover protein combined with the two eggs in enough?

Hi. 

Im new to this only on day 4. But I eat made a nice egg,leeks,asparagus and mushroom frittata. Then I can eat it for 3 days.  

6BD21441-2E09-402F-897E-F145990F087B.jpeg

On 4/27/2016 at 3:34 PM, OilLabLifestyle said:

aviva

Hi. 

I was a little hungry and tried one of these approved protein bars. It was pretty good 

A6ACB79E-B76D-43E6-85D9-75AC7B73EC81.png

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Joe6452 said:

Hi. 

I was a little hungry and tried one of these approved protein bars. It was pretty good 

A6ACB79E-B76D-43E6-85D9-75AC7B73EC81.png

Larabars are not really protein bars. They're dates and nuts with some other fruit for flavor. If you have a sweet tooth at all, you probably should avoid them, because they're as close to candy bars as you can get on whole30. Even if you don't have a sweet tooth, they should really just be for times when you have no other options available.

I do buy these (the W30 approved flavors only) , and promptly cut them in 1/4ths. I'm past my W30 and about 2 weeks into my next W60, but have a to say that when I need that sweet, I have a 1/4 bar and it fits the bill. A whole one is way too much now, (happy to say sugar isn't a demon for me!) but a 1/4th really is an answer. Frozen too, is a great way to store them because it takes longer to eat a 1/4th, satisfying that urge. 

8 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Larabars are not really protein bars. They're dates and nuts with some other fruit for flavor. If you have a sweet tooth at all, you probably should avoid them, because they're as close to candy bars as you can get on whole30. Even if you don't have a sweet tooth, they should really just be for times when you have no other options available.

Oh thanks for the info. I never read the label because they were on the approved list.  Lol. 

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Joe6452 said:

Oh thanks for the info. I never read the label because they were on the approved list.  Lol. 

Be careful with information found anywhere other than the official Whole30 site or books or the official Whole30 social media accounts -- there's lots of stuff on the internet that says it's Whole30 that isn't.  Always read your labels, even if someone else tells you something is okay. 

• 3 months later...
  • Administrators
1 minute ago, annael said:

hello, i started on June, the 1st and being my first time ever i am still adjusting to portions...with salad greens i usually need to have more than 3 cups, is it ok? and abt eggs, is it ok to have sometime only egg whites? i like to prepare some omelette with one whole egg and 5/6 egg whites. and do we need to have a bit of starchy veg in every meal?

thx

Salad greens you will typically require much more than 3 cups as they get munched down to next to nothing. We always tell people to eat "mixing bowl sized salads" if that is their only veggie.

Eggs are as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand - usually 3-4 is a good start for most people. Why would you want to only use whites for the bulk of the omelette?

Starchy veggies are recommended as a fist sized serving once per day to start. More if you are extremely active, on or near your period etc. Less if you are quite sedentary, have weight to lose etc.