Macadamia nuts from Whole Foods

Dinho7

Im in day 3 of the Whole30 challenge. So far so good. But i think I messed up with my purchase at Whole Foods the other day. Never bought or eaten Macadamia nuts in my life. Tried to find it in the raw "buffet" section where you scoop the desired amount you want to buy without success.

So I bought a $10 (!!!) bag with 8 oz of nuts, assuming that these had to be healthy since they are recommended in ISWF and are sold in Whole Foods. BUT, before eating I read the label (shouldve done it in the store!):

Macadamia nuts, sea salt, expeller pressed canola oil.

I suspect the latter is not allowed in the Whole 30 diet?

Also threw away the receipt (another mistake), so I guess I might be stuck with $10 worth of unhealthy nuts...

You suspect right. Allowances are made so people can eat out but it is best to eliminate at home as much as possible.

Canola Oil: Yes, reluctantly (because sometimes, you have to dine out)

While we don’t think vegetable oils are a healthy choice (understatement of the century), we don’t expressly rule them out on the Whole30. If we did, you’d never be able to eat outside of your own kitchen, because all restaurants use them in cooking. We wanted to create the healthiest program possible, but we also need it to be do-able for those who travel for business or pleasure, or simply want to dine out during the month.

Tip: Eliminate the consumption of vegetable oils at home, even if you’re not on the Whole30, and make sure the rest of your diet is focused on the most nutritious choices possible, especially if you dine out frequently.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.BaenAYIA.dpuf

Archived