Non-physical Whole30 benefits (Day 15)

Delaine Ross

Hey everyone-

It's Sunday night at the end of Day 15 for me and I wanted to share some personal "stuff" with you guys.

Almost 5 years ago I quit my job in corporate America and opened a Kettlebell gym. It's a very strange thing when your hobby becomes your profession and when your profession then takes up so much time that you don't have a chance to find a new hobby. 5 years into it, I have multiple instructors so I now am blessed enough to have time for a hobby, but I haven't found one. People ask me what I'm doing when I'm not working and I don't really have an answer... Because it has been just hanging out at restaurants and bars and who can say that to someone? I mean, I read a lot - but it's all business related bc honestly that's what I enjoy reading. I am a member of 3 networking groups that can be social but again, that's classified as work. I guess i could talk about how I volunteer at the children's shelter, but that isn't really a "hobby."

I refuse to isolate myself during the Whole30 like I did when I was a fitness competitor bc this is a lifestyle and I sure don't plan on staying home all the time forever. I guess what I'm saying is by taking away food and alcohol as my primary form of entertainment I am exploring hobbies and revisiting things I have neglected. Yesterday we went bowling and to live band metal karaoke. Today I went to church for the first time in months! I'm even really enjoying cooking and I plan on revisiting the dance studio this week- something I haven't done in more than a year.

These first 15 days have made me realize how much my life has centered around food and alcohol and it's disturbing. Thank you Whole 30 for helping me go out to discover a hobby!

And even more monumental for me is what is happening in my business. I was in the habit of taking my computer to the pub next door and sipping wine while doing work (after i was done training people, of course.) I would get my task list done - and it's been a slow couple of months at a time that I have had to travel a lot to teach other places so I would kind of ignore the numbers and go through the motions a little numbed by the alcohol. It was on a mastermind call with my business coaches on day 5 and I freaked out when I looked at the numbers with some clarity. I had the realization that my business plan does. Not. Work. I called my coach and some colleagues and reworked a new pricing plan and schedule to go into effect October 1. It's a game changer for me and I can thank Whole 30 for thrusting me into reality.

I totally realized this too. I was always sooooo concerned with junk food, trying different restaurauts, etc.

I went out and bought all kinds of new cleaners, a mop, buckets, anything a Cinderella like me needs to clean my house from top to bottom.

I got a tennis racket and I have been making homemade cat toys! Yes, lame I know! LOL!

Seriously though, I'm trying to find things to replace the time I spent worrying about and eating way too much food. I always felt so stressed and like I was always so busy but now that I'm doing the Whole 30, I'm calming down and realzing just now great things can be.

There is a lot more time it seems like. I have time to read and exercise and then some more time left over. It's kind of amazing because before i started my Whoe30 i wasn't sleeping much so i technically had more time but the clarity that the whole30 brings has helped me utilize my time more and manage 8 hrs of sleep a night.

Archived