Know how to grind a pig?

Josephine

I just remembered that I have my grandfather's meat grinder.  I thought I could try my hand at grinding out some sausage for patties or something.  So, a couple of things I need help with, if any of you have experience grinding pigs...

1. What part of the pig should I grind?  I am getting my meat from a realiable source and it is rather costly, so I want to go as cheap as possible. 
  2. What seasonings would generally make a tasty breakfast sausage?
  3. In what order should I season?  Pre-grinding, during, or post-grinding?

Thanks! I could probably google some info on this, but I'd rather hear from experienced Whole30'ers. 

What part? The belly - needs to be fatty or it won't stick together when fried/baked.

Seasonings? Anything you like. I like salt, pepper, sage and nutmeg.

When to season? I would say afterwards - grinding and mixing are 2 different processes and you want the seasoning thoroughly mixed in.

My husband makes his own.  It is a bit of an art form as it can taste very, very bland..  He likes alot of sage and red pepper flakes.  He's allergic to nutmeg, we haven't tried that combo.   Are there any wise sages around that can give you their secrets?

I had some trouble learning the grinder (it was my grandfather's), but I think I did okay.  It was kind of fun and I wished I had company, but none of my friends would take too well to being asked to come over and help grind a pig.  Anyway, I did use salt, sage, red pepper flakes, and nutmeg.  I have actually always used fresh nutmeg in many savory dishes - it's my secret ingredient in my highly-favored crab chowder (not a compliant recipe - it's pre-W30).

I liked it, but added more salt after cooking one.  WTG gramps! 

• 2 weeks later...

I too, just ran across a meat grinder I had fogotten. I'll have to try grinding my own.

My breakfast sausage seasonings per 1 pound meat:

1 teaspoon dried sage

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1 teaspoon paprika

1 teaspoon sea salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg.

Archived