Sustainable Sanity

socrkx

Well - after reading this mornings daily email I have decided to jump both feet in and start journaling my progress. On August 1 I committed to the Whole 30 after a month of researching, reading the book, and trying out recipes. I posted all kinds of recipes to my Pinterest account in a Whole 30 folder and started a Paleo camping folder as my husband and I are avid campers. We took a trial run Paleo camp trip and it was a success. You see, for me, this Whole 30 is a reset on my whole life and developing a sustainable program.

In January I walked away from all the work that I had done to lose 60 pounds - I told myself that I was no longer going to WW meetings, the gym and my efforts with my trainer were half a**ed. If that did not change by December in January I would quit them all, and quit I did. I gave myself permission to stop. In six months I put back on 30 of the pounds I had lost and lost all the ground I had gained from running. In fact I did not know how bad it had actually gotten untlil I stepped on the scale August 1 and weighed 243 - the start of my Whole 30.

It is tough but I have no regrets - it is time to set that all aside and start afresh. So I have done this deal for 7 days and it feels good. There have been bumps and challenges, Dodger game and Hollywood Bowl, but I walked through them focused. I am grateful that my husband has joined me on the journey it makes it SO much easier.

Whole 30 is not a diet for me - it is a reset on life. It s about developing a way of living that is sustainable. Currently I am off work - from August 20 to June 6 I am a special education teacher. I am working on not having work define who I am - that will be the true challenge.

So this is just a start. Before I head to my classroom to prepare for the school year - I have set out with a healthy breakfast.

Breakfast: Yams stir fried in a teaspoon of ghee, 2 hardboiled eggs and an avocado.

One of what I think would be my greatest challenges was giving up my triple grande nonfat latte at Starbucks - not the case! I now have iced coffee with a splash of coconut water and coconut milk - it has saved the day! In fact an iced grande coffee with a shot of expresso now lasts me three days! This is one of the things I researched for before I started and found on Pinterest - I am telling you there are great recipes on Pinterest.

I have also been trying every recipe in Well Fed - Delicious! Last night we had the Chili which was out of this world. I just ordered the second book with a birthday gift. I took Melissa Joulwan's advice and did a weekly cook up, which is outlined in the book. This has given me all the ingredients for the hot plates which have really been fantastic. It also took away the pressure of having to cook recipe meals every night for dinner. I find the food prep soothing, the chopping and all. I highly recommend the book.

Working on how to post pictures effectively will return this evening and keep a log of my food. For lunch I am planning on Waldorf Tuna Salad and some red/yellow/orange bell peppers and for dinner I am planning on Moroccan Meatballs with cauliflower rice pilaf. YUM!

Also one of my goals - to break bad habits - all meals must be eaten at the kitchen counter or dining room table. No more eating on the sofa - that is a trigger spot.

post-48858-0-04956300-1407426146_thumb.j

Welcome! I love your attitude and I can relate to your journey! I was on and off Weight Watchers from the age of 12 and late in my 30's calorie restriction just stopped working for me and I had to find a different way. This is the way to sustainability!

It looks like you are doing a fabulous job though I'd encourage you to eat more protein in your first meal. If need be I would trade half of your avocado for another egg or two. This thread explains why: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/20964-what-a-serving-of-eggs-looks-like/

Looking forward to following your journey towards excellent health!

Well packed my lunch and took it to my classroom. Had a successful day there, got a lot done. Drank a lot of water. Loving tuna in olive oil don't really need to add anything to it.

Tired and a litttle bit of a headache but overall feeling successful. Came home and started making dinner, mixed my spices and went to get the ground lamb and BAM forgot to leave it out for defrost, but I did leave the freezer door a little open for the whole day so there was a bit of a mess. Hungry, I boxed my spices for tomorrow and fixed a dish of left overs. Well Feds chilie, spaghetti squash, broccoli. I also had some cashews with cranberries and coconut flakes (not pictured).

Thank you for the info on the eggs, it always makes me nervous to eat too many eggs.

Honest input - I am feeling really big and it makes me sad. Clothes are tight and I am starting the school year in two weeks. I am considering adding in exercise next week instead of at the end of week 2.

post-48858-0-03251300-1407466145_thumb.j

post-48858-0-64235600-1407466166_thumb.j

For defrosting meat quickly you can put it in a bowl of cold water for a few hours on the counter. For doing it more quickly you can put it in a bowl of hot water for half an hour. 

Eggs are so so very nutrient dense. Eat and enjoy! Especially if you can find and decide to spend the money on eggs from full pastured chickens. Much higher in Vitamin D and other good stuff than cage free or conventional eggs.

Heading into Day 8 - This morning I took your advise Physibeth and added in some more protein. I am not quite sure how people enjoy bacon that is Whole 30 compliant because I haven't found any! All of the labels read evaporated cane syrup - so I throughly check labels and found a chicken breakfast sausage which I cooked this morning. It is so crazy - I used to HATE vegetables and my OCD nature would only allow me to eat what I deemed breakfast foods in the morning. The Whole 30 has pushed me out of the comfort zone and I will say I am really enjoying vegetables for breakfast.

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled, 3 breakfast sausage, 1/2 avocado, stir fried asparagus and mushrooms in one tsp of ghee and left over yams.

Lunch: Chicken hot plate with lots of vegetables

Dinner: Moroccan Meatballs and Cauliflower Rice Pilaf ( I already took the lamb out of the freezer :))

Worked in my classroom yesterday - went over the amount of time had set to work. So I am heading out early and will really focus on leaving at the goal time I set, which is 12:30 - this will allow me to get home and make my Chicken Hot Plate . I know it seems insignificant to many but a big part of my journey is drawing boundaries and work and not allowing it to consume my life.

I am not sleeping well at night - I did order the magnesium which hopefully will arrive today - along with my Well Fed 2 cookbook! I guess I should adjust that, I am still waking up at night - when I am sleeping it is sound and I am waking up refreshed. Today I do not feel a headache and generally my mood is hopeful!

Will check back in this evening.

Well I made it through another day - had a really successful work day in the classroom it is coming together. My husband helped me hook up my computer which is a relief. My goal is to have it all set up before our camp trip next week.

So I posted my breakfast already.

Lunch: leftover chili, with fresh vegetables (cucumber, carrots, bell peppers, and tomatoes)

cashews, dried cranberries and coconut flakes

This morning I had an iced coffee with a splash of coconut water and coconut milk

Dinner: Chicken Hotplate with zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, tomatoes, onion and 1/2 sliced avocado.

In the mail I received my Well Fed 2 cookbook and magnesium that was recommended in the previous daily - I just love Amazon Prime and how quickly they deliver. I am loving the Well Fed 1 cook book so looking forward to these recipes.

During the challenge I committed to not eating on the sofa - another day has passed and I have eaten every meal at the table with no television. Victory! I feel much better, but like I said last night still feeling big, probably because I am big! :)

Miss Mary I am not sure why I feel the way I do about the eggs - I read the link that was provided but is still seems like a lot to me. It might pass as time goes on - however I also think it is okay to find other protein sources for my morning meals so I don't burn out on the eggs.

Going to Pershing Square tomorrow night to hear the English Beat and Stan Ridgeway sing for free! I am going to make the lamb meatballs to take for our picnic. Also need to start meal planning for our camp trip next weekend - we will be celebrating my husbands birthday on the road! He has been such a trooper.

Peace out tomorrow is a new day! post-48858-0-71176500-1407558003_thumb.j

Your food sounds very tasty. Would love to hear what your paleo camping folder includes! I always find camping difficult food-wise - weird, since otherwise it's the closest we come to living like the paleolithic people did.

Miss Mary I am not sure why I feel the way I do about the eggs - I read the link that was provided but is still seems like a lot to me. It might pass as time goes on - however I also think it is okay to find other protein sources for my morning meals so I don't burn out on the eggs.

While it's perfectly fine to mix up your breakfast proteins, there is no reason to fear eggs. Eggs are a health food! I asked why because many people still have concerns regarding the cholesterol content of eggs, and if that was your situation, I wanted to reassure you: Dietary cholesterol has very little influence on blood cholesterol levels (your body produces more cholesterol than it takes in by a wide margin).

Day 9 done - major hurdle faced this evening. I spent all this time preparing wonderful Moroccan chicken and apricot meatballs with cauliflower rice pilaf for our picnic dinner at the outdoor concert at Pershing Square. After waiting an hour to get in, when we got to the front of the line we were told our bag was too big to bring in. I nearly panicked because all they had inside were noncompliant food trucks. My dear husband went back to the car and was able to reduce the sizzle of the bag and at least we had the meatballs, no dipping sauce but it got me through. Stan Ridgeway and the English Beat rocked the house! At one point the fresh baked. Smell of funnel cakes from the truck filled the air - I told my husband you know I would be chowing down on that right now and feeling gross if it wasn't for Whole 30,

I feel really good. I was prepared but my preparation was thwarted, I was able to walk through it and still have a fantastic night.

Good morning Day 10!

Breakfast this morning: 3 scrambled eggs, french green beans, mushrooms and red onion with 1 tsp of ghee, left over cauliflower rice pilaf cold - cauliflower rice pilaf cold was fantastic! Iced coffee with splash of lite coconut milk and coconut water.

Made it to the Farmers Market this morning and purchased some grass fed ground beef and lamb so I can try out some more of the meatball recipes. Also picked up some Whole 30 compliant bacon - finally! Saving that for our camp trip this weekend as there is really nothing better than bacon frying at the camp site and eggs in the morning, can't wait for Saturday. It was pricey but doable. Also picked up some fresh eggs and lots of veggies!

We are eating dinner at the beach tonight - so we will have foil wrapped salmon cooked on the bar b que and I am making the tropical chopped salad from Well Fed 2 and the cucumber salad from Well Fed 1. We have grapes for dessert. We are entertaining so fruit to finish the meal.

My husband are going down early to play some paddle tennis so we will also lunch down there - tuna Waldorf salad and vegetables. Will also bring the left over Cauliflower rice pilaf. Yum!

Slept like a baby last night - used the Calm magnesium supplement and the rare treat - splept in until 7:30!

Due to our schedule today I will be doing my cook up tomorrow morning - I will start getting up early so my schedule is aligned with my school schedule and I can start budgeting my time. I need to be out of the house from 1 to 4 - might work in my classroom and I might go to the beach - depends on what gets done in the morning. Dropping all three dogs off at the groomers at 9:30 am.

Good morning Day 13!

So if you had told me 13 days ago I would be enjoying a bowl of freshly made zucchini /squash soup for breakfast I would have told you that you were crazy - but that is my story today. Yesterday I went to the farmers market to pick up some grass fed beef and some free range eggs and saw these crazy looking cross between a zucchini and yellow squash things on sale. I picked up 8 of them for $2 and decided I would make the Gingered Zucchini soup from the Well Fed cook book - can I just say, YUM! I doubled the recipe so I have plenty of left overs to warm up for breakfast. Who knew.

I have assembled my meal plans for our Paleo camp trip to Pismo Beach this weekend. Recipes safely tucked onto my Pinterest site. It is my husbands birthday so we will be having berries with coconut cream to celebrate on Saturday night - I know that isn't Whole 30 but we would usually have cake, or smores so there it is. Just something a little fancy. Today I will be whipping up a batch of Cincinnati Chili - we will be going on a hike on Saturday morning and at the end of every hike my husband always says - it is chili dog time! Today at the market I will check for compliant hot dogs, but if they don't have them we will still enjoy our chili warmed up :)

The key to sanity when camping is the pre prep of food - I always do as much chopping and cutting as possible at home and store all of the ingredients for each meal in a ziploc bag. Last month we were at Lake Cachuma for our first Paleo Camp trip - that was pre Whole 30 when I was trying it out to see if I could do it.

Super excited that I found WHole 30 compliant bacon from the meat vendor at the Farmers Market, we haven't had any on the challenge and my husband loves bacon - it will be a nice treat while camping as we typically have bacon and eggs at the campsite. No worries I have lots of veggies added in with the meals.

Yesterday I ran for the first time on Whole 30. Had my best time of the summer. Looking forward to getting back into the swing of training for a race. It felt good, it is harder to run with extra weight but I know it will get easier, it always does!

Slept great last night - remembered to drink my CALM magnesium supplement, I swear that it is helping.

I am getting a lot accomplished and that feels good.

Breakfast: two hardboiled eggs, 1/2 avocado, 1 slice cantalope, bowl of zucchini soup

Lunch: Tuna Waldorf Salad, raw veggies

Dinner: Pina Colada Chicken and Spaghetti Squash or cauliflower rice (haven't decided)

post-48858-0-51164500-1407948667_thumb.j

I'd love to follow your paleo camping board on pinterest if you want to post the link. I'm an avid camper who tries to eat paleo, and I can always do with more ideas

I am a little slow at figuring out how to gve a link to my Pinterest - I pin at Bobbi Thompson - my Paleo camping is at the end on my boards but I also have a regular camping board as well - I would love to share ideas! Do you have a board?

I am a little slow at figuring out how to gve a link to my Pinterest - I pin at Bobbi Thompson - my Paleo camping is at the end on my boards but I also have a regular camping board as well - I would love to share ideas! Do you have a board?

It is www.pinterst.com/socrkx

Archived