Sunday cookathon

Aberrantatavia

I did a cooking session today, which included:

Homemade mayo

Breakfast casserole - with chicken sausage and sweet potatoes

A batch of cooked sweet potatoes

Coconut sauted kale - this time I added a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg and crushed red pepper. Oh and allspice. I like this far better with the pomegranate seeds.

Pumpkin coconut chicken, adapted from PaleOMG.

mashed cauliflower with garlic and ghee.

Cumin roasted carrots (the clothes make the girl)

Albacore tuna steaks marinated in a lemon garlic rub and seared

Roasted chicken drumsticks - the marinade had a smokey paprika base and it came out pretty good.

Coconut and almonds toasted in coconut oil, almond extract, cinnamon and finished with a few grinds of sea salt.

• 2 weeks later...

Today is day 3 for me. I grilled up a storm on Sunday to be prepared. Chicken, Pork, Flank Steak and such. I love the idea of cooking other things early. Condiments and sides I am struggling with. I need to find out how to make mayo and do the faux mashed potatoes. and breakfast!!! I NEED MORE OPTIONS!!! :huh: chicken sausage and sweetpotato?? I need that recipe

Thanks for the great ideas!

Let's see if I remember. I am pretty sure I grated up a sweet potato and put it in the bottom of a 9 x13 pan, then sauted a little onion and cut up the sausages - I used the apple ones that are compliant. And added them to the skillet. Sauté a bit and meanwhile beat up a dozen eggs with a little added coconut milk. And I think I sauted some spinach into the onions and sausage too. Then dump that over the sweet potato and dump the eggs over the whole thing and bake at 350 till set. I think it was 30 minutes or so. I probably added salt and pepper, but I don't think I added any other spice to it.

I am definitely going to be trying to make a sausage casserole today! Starting my second week tomorrow. Been doing ok with mostly making eggs in the morning, but I need something I can heat up quick in the morning, or even take to work with me and heat up and eat there.

I still have a good amount left from my cookathon last Sunday. I was just so psyched to get started!

I'm just going to keep using this thread. I do this cooking thing just about every weekend so I can keep adding to this.

Today was short on food, but I have some leftovers from last week in the freezer and I have some easy things to do since it was hot today and I used up my energy walking around town. I made the following:

Homemade mayo - I seriously can't think about how much mayo I eat.

Sunshine sauce, with adaptations. I didn't have all the ingredients. I improvised and it was good!

Chicken thighs marinated in half the sunshine sauce and then sauted since my grill doesn't work.

Cauliflower leek soup - ill post in the recipes, although I'm not sure it's exactly right yet.

Baked salmon steaks

Cauliflower mash with a twist - ill post this in the recipes too

Sweet potatoes

I still have to make the guacamole, but that takes a few minutes and I'm done for now.

I still have the Brussel sprout thing I made the other day, some meatsa in the freezer, and I bought a bunch of veges today. I also have canned tuna and crabmeat and seafood salad in the freezer for a quick meal at the end of the week if I need it. And I still have frozen bananas, hazelnut spread, and the coconut almond toasted mix. The only fruit I have is a couple of apples and a couple of plums but I am trying to keep that in check so that's ok. And I have a whole bunch of avocados, even after I make guac.

Great list and thankful for the meal inspiration.

I also cooked up a storm yesterday. Here's what I made:

• ghee
  • mashed carrot and parsnip
  • chicken rogan josh
  • coconut sweet potato soup
  • breakfast casserole: onion, ground pork, chili powder, sweet potatoes, egg
  • shake and bake: organic chicken thighs and drumsticks coated in almond meal, salt and spices
  • pork sliders *just mixed and formed, cooking tonight

I've been hitting a burnout on the weekday cooking so wanted to batch cook our meals for the first half of the week. Well worth it to just wake up this morning and just reheat a slice of breakfast casserole to start the day.

I made the hazelnut spread. Just took hazelnuts, coconut oil, raw coco, and some coconut manna and stuck it in the blender. I've drizzled it over fruit, but it's also delicious if you drizzle it over frozen fruit because it hardens.

Oh and don't add extract. It will make the texture funny.i had to throw my first batch out.

I made the hazelnut spread. Just took hazelnuts, coconut oil, raw coco, and some coconut manna and stuck it in the blender. I've drizzled it over fruit, but it's also delicious if you drizzle it over frozen fruit because it hardens.

Oh and don't add extract. It will make the texture funny.i had to throw my first batch out.

you made your own little nutella you nut you :lol:

I AM SO MAKING THIS...what is coconut manna and can i get it at whole foods? I see choc covered strawberries in my future:-)

Just made a double recipe of salmon patties and froze some. Later today I'm making a big batch of chicken and veggies with red coconut curry. I also have ingredients for chicken salad, and have a couple of packages of chicken drumsticks to cook up. Some more of this will get frozen after being prepared because I've been running out of time and energy to cook midweek, and I like to follow the 3-day rule on prepared food in the fridge. except for maybe my sweet potatoes - I've been letting those go about 5 days..... :o

Mary, I resemble that remark :) yes, I made it my own self and it was beautiful and delicious. I really have to real out my regular laptop sometime and dump pictures of all these things.

I haven't tried it on the strawberries like a dipped frozen strawberry but now that you mention it... It's a brilliant idea!

Coconut manna you can get at whole foods, yes. It will be with the coconut milk and coconut flakes, if I remember right.

There are a few recipes out there for pulverizing your own coconut for manna, I haven't tried that method yet.

Inspired by you all, and committed to my 2nd week of the challenge, I'm up early cooking!

Just pulled this week's frittata out of the oven-mixed olives & sundried tomatoes.

<deleted>

Next up:

Zoodles for dinner tonight (and leftovers tomorrow.) going to eat with grilled chicken.

Sweet potato fritters

Cauliflower mash

Salmon cakes

Broccoli salad w/bacon

This is such a great way to use up last week's produce and make room in the fridge. I'm not much of a cook, so wish me luck! Send any tips or additional make ahead recipes you have my way!!

Hi mico, sounds like you are off to a great start. I'm doing my cooking in stages over the long weekend so far there is sirloin steak, bratwurst and cabbage/carrot skillet, baked sweet potatoes, and pork bellies. I still have a few things to make, but overall I have a good jump start since I went shopping on Friday night.

Pancakes are generally non compliant, what's in yours?

Edited: you know, I just did a quick search and found the "no paleo pancakes" stuff. Don't know how I missed that before. I guess cause I didn't search for it. Funny thing is, I didn't eat pancakes before. At all. Don't like conventional pancakes, but was getting sick of eggs. Guess I'll just eat my banana in a bowl w/almond butter (egg on the side) on weekends.

I did my cookathon yesterday, but may do more today and tomorrow. Yesterday was:

Mayo (after a flub, I fixed it and now I want to just eat the entire amount)

Chicken Stock

Huge Spaghetti Squash

Ground grass fed beef sauteed with mushrooms, onions and mixed with Rao's Marinara Sauce (I'll put it over the spag squash)

Big bowl of tuna salad with the homemade mayo of course

Macadamia Oil and Lemon Juice dressing

Avocado Dressing (thank you Melissa :) )

I have lots of pastured chicken legs that were on sale at WF yesterday, so thinking about marinating them and then freezing in zip locks. I may incorporate the mayo. My mom used to make lamb chops with mayo (doubt it was homemade, but maybe) and garlic on them and then she'd grill them. Kept them so tasty and moist. I also bought a bunch of zuccs from the Farmer's Market yesterday, so I'll mix some of the ground beef mixture with a little coconut milk and stuff them. One of my favorite things to have as a staple.

Never stuffed a zucchini, might try that!

It makes the BEST dish. You cut it in half lenthwise and scoop out the insides (but save them) so that it's about 1/4 ish thick walls. Then stuff with whatever (love beef and marinara) and then bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes. Totally changes the zucc.

Edit to Add: By the way, the insides of the zucc get chopped up and mixed with whatever else you are stuffing in them.

Mico, the idea behind pancakes being a no no is that we should be eating real food, not recreating our old eating habits with approved foods. So if the "pancakes" didn't promote a negative emotional or physical response in you, I would think it would be ok once in awhile. For me, it would be bad as I would begin to crave maple syrup :(

Mary, I resemble that remark :) yes, I made it my own self and it was beautiful and delicious. I really have to real out my regular laptop sometime and dump pictures of all these things.

I haven't tried it on the strawberries like a dipped frozen strawberry but now that you mention it... It's a brilliant idea!

Coconut manna you can get at whole foods, yes. It will be with the coconut milk and coconut flakes, if I remember right.

There are a few recipes out there for pulverizing your own coconut for manna, I haven't tried that method yet.

No mana at my whole food :( I really want to make this...I am not giving up. What is is. I have lots of kitchen gadgets is it just mushed up coconut flakes?

This is the manna I have purchased from Amazon. If you are a Prime member, shipping is free. I can't be trusted around manna. I used to love it on frozen blueberries, but then I realized how I was making something that I craved. It's great stuff if you can hold back. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Nutiva-Coconut-Manna----15/dp/B005P0KEL0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346623227&sr=8-2&keywords=coconut+manna

Mary its just the oil and meat of the coconut, you are supposed to be able to make it from shredded coconut and a little coconut oil.

I think what I will do next time I make this is to just use shredded coconut in place of the manna and see if it will pulverize. I don't have a vitamix and my food processor is ancient, so it's not as effective as I'd like. I tend to buy high end machines so I usually have to plan for these purchases:) anyway, I think with some kind of decent pulverizer, you should be ok, just add more coconut oil.

I'll probably make this tonight or tomorrow if you want me to try it first lol

Here is a recipe for manna that I just found. I have made fresh coconut milk and it's amazing. It was many years ago and made with actual whole coconuts which I find very difficult to work with. This manna sounds darn easy.

Ingredients:

• 2 cups organic, unsweetened dried coconut

Directions:

1. Add dried coconut to food processor and blend for about 10 minutes until the coconut becomes creamy.
  2. Store at room temperature in a covered Mason jar.

Archived