Alcohol free wine

Amy Leila

I am just starting my Whole 30, and have been quite careful. I am allergic to eggs, so it has been rather difficult. Eggs are in so many paleo recipes and are also in mayo.

I noticed at the store there was a brand of alcohol-free wine, Fre brand, and some of the varieties had no added sugar, simply wine with the alcohol removed and added grape juice -- no added sugar. It has a fair number of calories per serving still, so I had not planned to drink more than one glass here and there. After reading extensively this blog, the website, and the book, it seems like it would be OK, but may be a cheat or a crutch.

Thoughts?

"httpTry non-alcoholic vodka - AKA water"  - favorite W30 beverage quote from "Juice"

://forum.whole9life.com/topic/13620-wine-an-update-and-some-realizations/

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/19767-can-i-have-alcohol-free-beer/?hl=%2Balcohol+%2Bfree+%2Bbeer

"Can I have alcohol free beer"?  This will answer your questions.

Quick answer..no grape juice substitutes for the W30.  Real fruit instead of juices are the standard.

I am just starting my Whole 30, and have been quite careful. I am allergic to eggs, so it has been rather difficult. Eggs are in so many paleo recipes and are also in mayo.

I noticed at the store there was a brand of alcohol-free wine, Fre brand, and some of the varieties had no added sugar, simply wine with the alcohol removed and added grape juice -- no added sugar. It has a fair number of calories per serving still, so I had not planned to drink more than one glass here and there. After reading extensively this blog, the website, and the book, it seems like it would be OK, but may be a cheat or a crutch.

Thoughts?

Amy Leila if you look for recipes labelled "AIP" (you can Google) or "AIP Whole 30" - this stands for "Auto Immune Protocol" and it is a way of eating that excludes eggs and a few other things. You might find some of those recipes helpful.

So basically, its juice. And that means no, you can't have it for now. During my w30 my good friend and advisor DebC^ see above^ recommended a couple of drink ideas that felt adult without the noncompliance, like sparkling water with some olives (a dirty 30), or chilled herbal tea in a wine glass. You can have fruit waters where you infuse the water with fruit for several hours, or kombucha, which is fizzy and quite satisfying- just read the label carefully. SO short answer is no, but there are other options.

Good luck,

Rose 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived