Starting on August 8th, 2014

ollie

Welcome, menyala! I hope you had a good day one! I'm jealous that your boyfriend is doing it with you, that's going to make it so much easier -- mine is being supportive but is decidedly not joining me, haha. Luckily I do all the cooking ;) 

My weekend recipes were a mixed bag -- the frittata I made yesterday came I out great (I used onions, broccoli, and chorizo), but the balsamic braised short ribs I made tonight ended up kind of being kind of underwhelming. I think next time I'll just trust my instincts and modify the recipe I was using before: it's actually this awesome oxtail recipe by Melissa Clark, but I can never actually find oxtail so I usually just use it for short ribs -- I'll just use more chicken stock instead of wine and I usually keep them in the oven for 2.5 hours at 325F, turning every half hour. Tomorrow for breakfast I'm making the sweet potato hash with sunny-side up eggs from Nom Nom Paleo (I also made it this morning and it was super easy and delicious!). 

Ollie, I'm keeping a food log here. Is anyone else? 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 2 - so far so god!

I had a hard boiled egg and chunky avocado and orange salad for breakfast which was filling and simple and quick to prepare.

Having chicken and pak choi left overs from last night for lunch today.

Feeling motivated. I hopeyou're all too!  :)

Mickimc - There's been a thread about Silk Pure Almond Milk (http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/16519-silk-pure-almond-milk/?hl=alpro). Possibly this brand is easier available where you are??

I can imagine how hard it is to hear just one "crunch" of someone tucking into a packet of crisps or such like.  Aaargghh... My boyfriend and I update each other throughout the date on what we're having for lunches and snacks, so that's a huge help.

Ollie - Googling some paleo eating options in London actually brings up some interesting blog posts such as this one with an extensive list of London and UK wide options: http://inquisitivefoodie.com/the-paleo-diet/where-to-eat-paleo-in-the-uk/

nycemily - Ribs! I've not even thought about ribs... thanks for the inspiration. I don't think I've ever made ribs in my life, but that's kind of the fun part of this program, too, trying to get out of your rut and trying some new recipies and foods along the way.

I've seen those egg and sweet potato hash. Does it take long to prepare? I often run in the morning which reduces the time I have to prep breakfast, so something quick and easy is crucial. Or can it be prepared the night before?

Good luck everyone on the beginning of this journey!!  :)

Thank you Menyala!  I am allergic to soy, so just stay away from the name "Silk" which is short for soy milk.  Didn't realize it was actually a brand.  Kind of surprised we can have the soy lecithin and Gellam gum (what the heck is that really?). 

I can't wait to try in tomorrow a.m.'s coffee!  I've been using leftovers of the pork/chicken/soup for meals.

Made the sweet potato salmon cakes.  Very good, but I used fresh sweet potato (over canned) and they came out just a bit dry.  Will add an extra egg next time I make them.

Happy days 2-3-4-5 to all!   I am doing pretty good - my joint inflamation was horrible yesterday, but feeling a bit better today.  If I can do 5 days, I can do 25 more.  :)

Micki - I've never heard of soy milk refered to as silk, but makes sense... :)  the Alpro brand has sunflower lecithin rather than soy lecithin.

Where can I find the salmon fish cake recipe? I bought a whole bag of sweet potato because they didn't have single ones!

Day 2 ended with onion, mushrooms and lamb cubes fried in a tiny amount of duck fat served with a bunch of rocket leafs. No bloating at all.

Good night...

PS: Found compliant chorizo in Sainsburys today. It's their own brand.

Menyala, the hash only takes a few minutes to cook if you shred the sweet potatoes beforehand -- I shredded some in the food processor on Sunday and seasoned it all and separated it into single servings for later this week. I bet if you wanted to make it even faster you could cook it all at once and microwave it in the morning.

I had a really stressful day at work today (I'm a nurse) so I barely had time to wolf down some leftover short ribs for lunch and never got to the rest of the meal. I got home late and was going to cook the salmon and zucchini that my boyfriend picked up but was so tired that we just ordered sashimi instead (and I got a side of steamed broccoli). I'm hoping not to make that a habit -- one of my goals was definitely relying less on takeout.

Micki, I'm glad your joint pain is a little better. I haven't had many bad side effects so far but running around at work definitely took it out of me a little more than usual today. I'm hoping I have a better shift tomorrow.

Emily - wow, that sounds like a tough job indeed! I hope you have more "normal" days at work too... what kind of ward do you work on?

I made the sweet potato hash this morning. I don't have a food processor so I used a cheese grater and it worked just fine. I added a few bits of chorizo and had it with a fried egg as suggested. It was DELICIOUS.

So exciting to be trying all these new recipes!

Today was a rough day beacuse I haven't been sleeping well. Joint pain was a little better yesterday but came back today. After 3 really bad nights, I took the afternoon off and did a two hour nap. Today felt like their description of days 2 to 5 plus 6 all rolled into one.

And I want bread. Didn't know I felt so strongly about that. All the candy, cookies and cakes I thought I would be missing are not even calling to me. I would really really like some toast with butter. Serious craving!!!!!

Last nights dinner was fantastic: calling it Italian skillet because I made it up. Ground turkey with a can of approved stewed tomatoes as well as a few fresh plum tomatoes from my neighbors garden. Sautéed onions first, fresh basil and thyme and fresh zuchinni and spinach added in at the end. So delicious. Ate the rest for lunch, but wish I had more.

I need to find more recipes. Feeling too tired to deal with that tonight though. Fortunately I bought cans of salmon and sardines that I can rely on for next few meals.

Rebecca, how do you make your zucchini noodles? I know there are a couple different ways and I'm still trying to find the best one!

Hang in there, Micki! Your dinner sounds so good, I might have to try it later this week. I definitely can sympathize with the cravings -- I am totally indifferent to cake but I would have loved a bagel and cream cheese with my coffee this morning.

Menyala, I work at a psychiatric hospital in a substance-abuse program. It's really interesting work and I love it but sometimes it gets pretty frustrating. It's actually my last month in the position -- I just finished a nurse practitioner program so I have to start studying for my licensing exam and looking for a new job. I figured that I had a much better day today, though -- I even had time for real lunch! I had a salad with romaine, grilled chicken, tomatoes, egg, and avocado with oil and vinegar. Not very original but it got me through the day.

It's definitely been easier for me to wake up in the morning -- I hopped right out of bed yesterday and today and I'm usually the queen of hitting the snooze button.

I follow the instructions for zucchini noodles on this recipe:  http://www.paleocupboard.com/zucchini-noodles-with-avocado-cream-sauce.html

I don't have a julienne slicer or anything fancy -  I have a cheap mandolin from Kohls that works great!  It slices the zucchini thin, but wide.  So I just take all the wide slices and cut them with a knife into spaghetti-sized "noodles."  It takes only a couple of minutes.   Then I toss them with salt in the colander and leave them for 20 minutes while I'm making the other part of whatever recipe!  They will be really wet after the 20 minutes, so I roll them up in a paper towel and squeeze out the excess water.  We LOVE them... they really end up having the texture of noodles - but they really don't have any flavor - except whatever you put on them (or put them into).  

Micki - hang in the there! I kind of try to think of the tough days as sore muscles the day after a workout. They're the downsides, but ultimately they make us stronger.  :)

Emily - Good luck with your studies and with finding a new job! One of my goals is to run a marathon for Mind, which is a mental health charity here in the UK. But I've got A LOT of training ahead of me before I can even truly contemplate this. Haha...

Day 3 yesterday posed the first real challenge for me as I met a friend for dinner and a drink. I was worried, but I opted for a glass of fresh juice and salmon fillet with salad. I asked them to hold the rice and serve extra salad instead which they did with no problem. Now I feel less shy to meet up with friends socially in the next few weeks.

I feel more energetic, but I do get headaches throughout the day more easily. I can't quite pinpoint why that is, but as soon as I eat the headaches disappear. Maybe it's a drop in blood sugars as my body is adjusting to the no snacking rule?

Thx all. Today was a much better day. I slept last night! Yabadabba doo.

Tonite's dinner was incredible: cinnamon beef stew http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/02/02/greek-beef-stew/

Can't wait to try out the zucchini noodles - thank you Rebecca.

Emily, congrats on graduating and becoming a NP. My x-sister in law just finished and is also studying for boards. It's huge! She is thrilled that I am doing this whole 30 because of the chronic inflammation.

The salmon fish cake recipe is in the it starts with food book. Do you have it menyala? Also, the work out analogy is a good one.

Hi everyone.  I'm a bit late in getting onto the forum but started on Friday.  I now have my coffee with the unsweetened version of the almond milk that you talk of, from Tescos.  However, having never been much of an egg lover - I am really struggling with breakfast options.  It also has to be quick too.  At the moment I make a hash with salmon, eggs and whatever veg is in the fridge but am getting slightly bored with it.  Anyone else have options?  What do you order when you go to a coffee shop?  I used to love my lattes :D   Feeling shattered, so am off to bed :blink:

Welcome ZimEdgar! When I'm in a breakfast rut I try to keep in mind that breakfast doesn't have to be breakfast-y -- I can just have leftover dinner or make whatever I would make for another meal (this morning I had tuna salad with homemade mayo and half a sweet potato). My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy but I promise once you get used to non-breakfast food at breakfast you have a lot more options.

At coffee shops I usually just order black coffee (womp womp). I really miss half-and-half. I'm still getting over it.

Hi ZimEdgar - Lots of people seem to wonder about the breakfast options. I was quite worried about it, but it's turning out to be much less of a problem than anticipated. How about a bowl of avocado and orange chunks? Or some sweet potato hash with chorizo?

I'm avoiding coffee shops at the moment. I can't drink black coffee, it's way too strong and bitter for me. I'd probably go for a herbal tea if I did go, but I like to think my wallet is on a "diet" too.  :)  I used to spend a fair amount of money in coffee shops.

Yesterday I suddenly had two pimples on my cheek. I don't usually get pimples unless I eat a LOT of sugar several days in a row (ie. at Christmas!), so I wonder if it's food related. Any ideas anyone?

Emily - which recipe did you use for the mayo? I've seen several around and really want to make some too.

Hello ZimEdgar, I like eggs, but not in the morning so am doing the same as Emily. I am into leftover homemade soup in the am, and throw hunks of meat into it.

As to coffee, black is it if you're out. This is a group of struggling latte lovers! I am going to try this recipe once I get canned coconut milk without added sugar: http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/06/26/coconut-milk-latte/ They tell us over and over not to replace, but coconut oil, boxed coconut milk, almond milk are all not that good in coffee.

I was feeling pretty crushed a few days ago, now I just a wee bit grumpy. But also excited that I've made it 8 days! People we are 25% completed with the extreme. Woot woot!

Have you noticed that sugar is in soooo many things? Even organic broths have it. And bacon!

How is everyone doing on the moods, or other challenges? I think it's overall improving for me.

Hello, ladies! It great to see that everyone is staying strong :)

Menyala, I've got a nasty pimple on my chin yesterday as well... I guess it's indeed the detox effect.

Today is the hardest day so far for me... I am simply hitting the wall :( Also woke up to a stomach pain all of a sudden today, dreaming about a melted cheese toast. I am suspecting that I've been not getting enough zzz's this week. Managed to stay on the bright side though and had a fried egg, tuna, tomatoes and avocado for breakfast. Avocado is my cure for everything :) Also skipped the regular coffee and went for a mint tea instead. I hope this will pass soon...

Weekend is just around the corner, right?!

Hey Fellow food warriors, wasn't so impressed with that coconut latte... Of course I'm subconsciously in search of the sweetness. It's the right "look" or color though.

Okay. Day 10 for me. Feel oretty good but oh yes I still just want a hunk of bread!

I keep reminding myself that there is a small percentage of the population who have the strength to do what we are doing. And a few closest to me said "I couldn't", but I AM. :)

Hope you're weekend is great.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Is there some way that you can get a notification of someone adding to the thread. I always have to search for our group.

OK, I went shopping...couldn't find bacon/sausages with no unwanted ingredients :-( bought the naked bars, only to find apple pie option had oats in (duh!) They didn't have the mocha. What are people doing for gravy? I can't seem to find a bisto\stock.

Have been out to loads of places recently to eat. What questions do you ask?

I have given in to herbal tea...

I cooked the Italian pork roast:http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/10/16/slow-cooker-italian-pork-roast/.

Off to make some Mayo and coleslaw to have with it.

We are meeting friends at Ask tomorrow... What to have???

Menyala, I used the by-hand mayo recipe on Nom Nom Paleo plus a teaspoon of water before you add the oil. I couldn't find light olive oil so I used avocado oil, which was fine except the mayo came out green! It still tastes great.

I've been feeling great so far, but I have a huge challenge tonight: my boyfriend and I are throwing a party on the roof of our apartment. I'm not worried about the food, but I know I'm really going to want a cocktail or a glass of wine. I haven't had a single bad food craving or dreamed about eating an off-plan food -- I actually love the food I've been eating and don't really miss grains or dairy or processed junk -- but I've had two separate dreams about drinking. I'm on day 8 and I think this is the longest I've gone without having a drink in a couple of years. I know it will be worth it and tomorrow I'll feel so proud of myself if I resist... but it's going to be really tough.

ZimEdgar, there's a little box at the too right of this feed "follow this topic" and that will send emails to you when replies are made to this this forum topic. Then you can click on the link given in the email if you want to come to the full page here to post. And if you get sick of it, you can click again to unfollow.

Tonight's delicious dinner, again from clothes make the girl, five spice slow cooker pork ribs, but mine is really 3.5 spice. Had no fennel seed, and no Szechuan pepper so just used back pepper with a touch of cayenne and skipped the fennel. :). Still awesome! http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/02/23/5-spice-slow-cooker-pork-ribs/. Again, never been that good at cooking meats, but these are fall off the bone tender.

Sending you strength Emily! It's good to clear your system of alcohol for a bit, even aside whole30. It proves you are in charge of you. :)

Thanks for the support everyone! I did it! So glad I made it to day 9 :) And I'm excited because I found a couple of compliant soups at the grocery store today. Yay for small victories. I made another frittata yesterday morning and used compliant sweet Italian sausage, broccoli and onions. Divine!

Archived