Starting on August 8th, 2014

ollie

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everybody.

I've had a busy weekend, but stayed strong and am really quite enjoying the Whole30.

The hardest part for me is the no snacking rule and I admit that I succumbed to a handful of nuts today when I didn't have time to sit down for a meal, but had a soaring headache from low sugar levels.

These low sugar headaches have been an issue for about a year for me and I'm keen to see if and how the Whole30 might improve it. But I guess by snacking I'm not really giving it a chance...  :(

Well done, Emily, for sticking with it through your party! That's an achievement...  :)

ZimEdgar - great to hear you can already feel / see the benefits when hitting the gym.

I think I can see some changes, too. But most importantly I have not felt bloated once since starting the program. I love the feeling of eating something and feeling simply satisfied at the end of the meal, but not stuffed. I have also noted a definitive rise in energy in the mornings. I've really struggled with getting out of bed in the last few months and now I'm pretty happy to get up as soon as I wake up.

Has anyone got any good vegetarian meal ideas? I like eating meat, but I don't really like it every single day.

ZimEdgar, how was the chili? We're having grilled salmon tonight.

Great question Menyala. The protein in vegetarian is usually legumes. How about chicken? I used to eat meat maybe once or 2x a week. Now it's every day and multiple times many days. Gonna look into this and see if I can find anything other than chicken or fish.

Hey, did anyone else sign up for the daily emails? I didn't get one today. I wrote them, but no reply yet.

Mickimc - I would highly recommend the chilli.  It is delicious!  We had lamb today with the remaining butternut.  I love it!

I am a bit nervous.  This time next week, we are driving to France for a week long holiday.  I am the only one that will be on the w30.  Any tips on how to deal with this, while on the road?  Once at the destination, there is a supermarket on site - so feel I could make a plan.

Menyala, I feel your pain with regard to snacking.  I have two kids and make sure they have a mid morning and a mid afternoon snack.  It's hard sitting there and not having anything:(  

Hi Micki - great! I'm looking into the veggie options. I absolutely love eggs so I won't have a problem getting proteins.

Tonight I made my own variation of the shakshuka (http://naturalkitchenadventures.com/recipe/braised-eggs-shakshuka/) which actually had chicken in it. But the "pure" egg version is a nice vegetarian option. I also added spinach to mine which is perfect for the dish.

ZimEdgar - I think the key for your trip will be to take lots of food along that you can eat until you reach your destination. I'm just thinking... if I were to go on a long road trip I'd pack hard boiled eggs, raw veg such as carrots, kohlrabi, mushrooms, maybe some kind of dip (homemade mayo?), avocado. I'd bring along a couple of packs of prosciutto and chorizo. Finally I'd pack a variety of fruit and some nuts to counteract any sweet cravings... You will be fine! And just think of your destination.... I hope you have an amazing time!

Hi all,

Looking forward to trying that chili. Wow, tough to believe a trip to France causing hardship, but this is a challenge. Menyalas suggestions are great... And also cans or pouches of tuna, salmon or sardines. You may need to eat before going out and then find something on the menu light like salad and have them hold the dressing so at least you're eating with others. Never been to France, but when I think of the food, I think rich cheesy croissant deliciousness. May not be really true, but it's how it's typified in America.

Today's recipe recommendation: lemon garlic crock pot chicken. Two changes I did: no time to brown so just put them in raw, and no bullion crystals, just some chicken broth. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-lemon-garlic-chicken-ii/

Wish I liked eggs more. Their so easy and portable. :)

Happy day all! I'm on 13.

Happy day 11-12-13-14, everyone! :) It seems unbelievable - but we are almost half-way through!

ZimEdgar, I quite like the approach of Sarah from My New Roots to travel food packing (http://www.mynewroots.org/site/2013/03/recipes-and-tips-for-healthy-travel-2/ and http://www.mynewroots.org/site/2014/04/recipes-and-tips-for-healthy-travel-ii/ ) - though she is using legumes quite heavily in the exact recipes she's feauturing in those two posts, you can replace them with W30-friendly stuff and still keep it balanced. I think the key to success for travel food is to have a variety of different meals/tastes - otherwise, you will eat bored and be tempted to snack with a cracker.

Apples/pears/cherries + dried fruit/nuts + raw vegetables with a dipping sauce + simple salad with boiled egg (keep the dressing separate!) + turkey meatballs (with sundried tomatoes and basil) would be my choice. I quite like meatballs cold and believe they will store just fine for a day - especially in a cool box. Nori wraps with vegetables and egg white would be another option - easy to eat on-the-go as well :)

How is everyone holding up? Have you noticed any health improvements? Have you started any exercise or new healthy habits?

Thanks Ollie! Great sampling of French cuisine.

I have a fit bit for tracking steps. Have been using it for a year. My job is all "sit down" so I was taking long walks 3x week, and have moved that to 5x a week. Shooting for 60k steps per week. My other thing is 20 minutes minimum of yoga each morning. That's not new either, but I've found that my time was gradually knocked down because of wanting to get out the door. So more of a recommitment for me than new items.

Feeling good, most notable for me is sinuses are clearing and that creates ability to focus better. My joint inflammation is a bit better in mornings too.

And I still want a hunk of bread and one tsp of sugar and milk in my coffee - ha!

ZimEdgar, good luck with your trip! I second everybody's suggestions of packing a wide variety of foods so you don't get bored. Frittatas actually travel pretty well since you can eat them at room temperature -- I usually cut them into wedges and wrap them in plastic for on-the-go meals (and you can put basically anything in them).

I've been telling myself for almost a year that I'll get back into exercising soon, so I'm trying to actually do it. My little brother is really fit and he recommended a lifting program for me so now I just have to sign up for the gym (somehow I keep finding excuses to do this tomorrow.... hmmm). I secretly love spin classes but doing them regularly doesn't really fit into my budget right now -- better as a reward for progress (now that I have to figure out something other than food to reward myself with, haha).

My sleep and energy levels have been pretty amazing, especially in the mornings. Pre-whole 30 (and the first week) I would stay in bed until 10 or 11 on my days off -- today I got up at 7. I also wake up really hungry, which I take to be a good sign. My mood has also been a lot better this week, and I'm finding that I have a lot more positive emotional energy, but that could be a result of less stress after finishing school earlier this month.

Thanks everyone. Have taken note:-).

Happy half way. I am super chuffed that I have managed to get this far.

I had to share a fantastic recipe we had tonight. Super yummy!http://miloche.com/2014/03/paprika-lime-seared-chicken/

How is everyone feeling? I have to say I haven't felt the tremendous amount of energy they talk of but my skin is definitely better and NY bloating has definitely gone. I am sorely tempted to jump on the scales but am staying strong...

ZimEdgar, I'm with you... No bloating - yes, few cm's off the waist - probably, but definitely no change in the overall energy levels (ad my cake cravings are still there). Let's hope our time will come, just a little later :)

Ok. Little frustrated. No tigerblood. Inflammation a bit better. I want a darn slice of bread. Day 18 and I am still feeling grumpy. Keep telling myself that it's proof of how much sugar had a hold of me. I may be one of those who needs 45 to get over cravings, I dunno. Nim sick of cooking too.

How you all doing?

Mickimc, I hear you. I had a huge yearning for a cup of tea (with sugar and milk) and a big slice of chocolate cake today. Still not feeling the energy boost that is meant to have arrived.

My hubby is also getting frustrated because when he mentions take out, like KFC, I tell him that I won't be able to eat anything and I end up cooking at home...again.

As for improvements, I have been sleeping better and period pains have been non existent.

I did make cabbage goulash yesterday which the family enjoyed with baguettes.

Thankfully, I have made enough big meals to be able to enjoy the left over in the coming few days. Cross fingers.

Still on board out there? Just finishing day 25. Definitely lost some weight but energy isn't spectacular. Funny how the routine is so set now though. I eat ate 7 am, noon, and 530 pm. And feel very hungry right at those times. Still have cravings and today was tough. I want bread or crackers so much. Maybe this is one of those extinction bursts.

Hope you're all hanging in there as well.

Hello out there... Ant one left from this group? I am on my day 30. It's been really tough, mostly the time for food prep. Still craving sugar.

What I've noticed:

- lost a couple pounds, nothing dramatic and nothing I wouldn't have lost if I'd just cut back on sugar.

- Have a bit more energy, especially mid am, but I started eating breakfast for the first time since 10 yrs old, so makes sense.

- joint pain, no change; sleep quality, no change and maybe even worse.

- I think a little bit sharper mentally.

- gut is not real happy as far as potty time goes, and that started week 2 carrying through to this am. Discovered that eggs destroy me that way so it's a good thing to know.

I will be adding bread/grains back in tomorrow. Most likely make my own bread. I know it's not the correct reintro order, but it's too much of a hassle to live with out it as a food group for my busy life.

I have no issues finishing today or staying off the sugar since I am craving it so badly. The biggest thing is probably just that I DID it. Hard core, no exceptions. And that let's me know I can get in control.

Sincerely hope that all of you are feeling significantly better!

I'm still here... feeling great.  Just finished our 30 days and I lost 10 lbs and my husband lost 12... but better than that - we feel great and lost inches, too.  We knew about the inches because it became obvious after about 2.5 weeks!  Don't want to bring back any of that crap food!

Well done everyone! Today is my last day and apart from coming down with an unexpected cold, I feel great.  ;)

I've not yet weighed myself, but my boyfriend, who's been along for the ride, has and he lost over a stone. We've both lost quite a few inches and can see that our bodies have shaped up.

I've generally found an increase in energy, less overeating, less headaches. We both want to continue with the no starchy carbs, no added sugar, no processed food... but we won't be as strict and will allow the occasional slip up for special occasions. I don't want to end up being "scared" of any food, I just want to continue feeling as in control as I have done in the last four weeks.

Oh and I've had several comments about the healthy look of my skin and hair. Something I've not particularly noticed myself, but must be noticable to others.  :)

Also wanted to add my favourite discoveries:

Sweet potatoes

Almond milk

Nakd bars (obviously not great during the Whole30, but now a good option when plagued by a chocolate bar craving)

A couple of times I ate out and was able to make good food choices. What I've noticed is that I've reacted much stronger to bad oil / fat when used in restaurants. Something I never much noticed before, I feel I've become much more sensitive to and to me that's a good thing.

Archived