Surprise dinner guests! Help!

ChristaD

So first off Hi! My name is Christa, I am on day 19, been shadowing you all on the boards but never felt the need to post, but unfortunately now I've got a problem that is frying my brain.

So I've got a standing open invitation to join me for dinner with a friend of mine, her husband, and their toddler. I just got a text from them that they're crashing my house tonight with only a few hours notice for dinner. He and the munchkin can eat anything, she is allergic to wheat, and I am still on my whole30; whats even worse is that I am scrounging for the last dregs of my groceries because I wasn't planning to make my monthly trip to costco for organic bulk meats (lamb, chicken, ground beef etc) and the saturday morning Farmers Market until tomorrow!

So Help me Whole30 populace! You're my only hope, I need to come up with dinner in a hurry that is solved by going to a generic grocery store. Here are a few abnormal things I have on hand:

Paleo Mayo (homemade! Go go immersion blender!)

Avocado Tzaziki sauce (made from avocado, coconut milk, and a little mayo n' spices).

Thai Curry sauce (homemade from coconut milk, curry, spices and apple juice).

Coconut Aminos (just picked that up yesterday)

A measly half a cup of coconut milk left :(

I have some fresh tomtato and avocado, so I can whip up a quick guacamole but I don't have much to put it on. I've also just last night cooked and blended a yuca to make a dough, I was planning to try to make a paleo recipe I found for sweet potato perogies with mashed yuca for dough. I have salmon and ground turkey left in the freezer along with frozen veggies like broccoli and squash (but I feel dirty serving them frozen veggies when they have an entire vegetable garden at their house).

Okay sorry, I am babbling, any help for a quicky Whole30 tasteful dinner would be great!

Maybe you could do some ground turkey with lettuce wraps?  You'd only need to get some lettuce by the sounds of it, and you could have various seasonings out (the curry sauce, some guac or tzaziki, etc.) so people can choose their own.  If you wanted to bulk it up, get a head of cauliflower and make some cauliflower rice?

Sorry I don't have better ideas, but maybe this will start some creativity ... 

How about hamburgers? I can get grass fed beef at my local grocery store, if not you could use ground sirloin. How about steaks on the grill, chicken wings, grilled chicken. The meat doesn't have to be grass fed, pastured etc. You can use regular meat that is the leanest cuts you can find. Make a big salad and potato salad and get a watermelon. Enjoy!

Ohh Tina I like how you think! You too Wendelina, the lettuce wraps got me thinking about zucchini boats too..

Anyone know how bad the prep time might be on some kind of zucchini boat? Onions, mushrooms, ground turkey, spices, baked in a hollowed out zucchini along side some roast garlic; then maybe flaten the pureed yuca and pan fry that in a little oil to put the guac and roast garlic and top it all off with said watermelon or seasonal fruit.

I don't do well with last minute surprises.   You sound like a great host.   I wouldn't worry about what's in your house.   They should stop by the store and buy everything special they need before they get there.  I wouldn't dream of doing this to anyone unless I brought in loads of my own groceries.

I think you are very gracious.  If you only had saltines and water, it would turn out.  Let us know.

Ohh Tina I like how you think! You too Wendelina, the lettuce wraps got me thinking about zucchini boats too..

Anyone know how bad the prep time might be on some kind of zucchini boat? Onions, mushrooms, ground turkey, spices, baked in a hollowed out zucchini along side some roast garlic; then maybe flaten the pureed yuca and pan fry that in a little oil to put the guac and roast garlic and top it all off with said watermelon or seasonal fruit.

I think you have to prebake the zucchini boats for about 10 min then fill them with whatever and bake for another 20+ min. That sounds good.

Ended up going with the zucchini boats, guac on yuca flat bread (so to speak) and fresh fruit.

And yes meadow, I know it's a bit unorthadox, but you do what you can when your best friend marries a smart*** but he's got his good points, like last time they showed up he rotated the tires of my car, and this time he attacked a home project I had sitting in the livingroom while she and I cooked. In general he is very helpful, so it's worth the nuances and oddities of behavior.

Archived