Big, huge step forward!

April

I'm so proud..after 10+ years as a binge eater, I finally did the absolutely unthinkable today. I went to a baby shower and didn't eat ANY sweets! (I didn't eat anything at all, actually, since I ate a good lunch before I went). That might sound small to some people, but I never thought I would be able to resist something like cupcakes that I really, really used to love. And those cupcakes today? They did smell good. Really good. But it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. It was more of a passing thought "wow, those smell great...but nah, I'm not eating sugar" and that was that.

This is the end of the 12th day of my Whole30, and I'm about 2 months or so into "paleo" eating in general. I never thought I was strong enough to escape that binge/restrict ED cycle. Turns out, I think I am. And that feels very, very good.

Thanks for listening. :D

April,

That is great, and NO, it doesn't sound like a "small" accomplishment, it IS a huge one! Nice job! I am going to guess that you already had it planned out in your head that there would be much yummy and tempting food at this shower but that you were going to resist...? I know that more than half the battle is mind preparation for these type of situations.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Summer!

Yes, I started planning last night. I made sure I got enough sleep, got a good breakfast this morning, and then a good lunch (I made sure it was my FAVORITE lunch so that I would feel satisfied). Then I listened to the Balanced Bites podcast in my car on the way there (1/2 hour drive or so) to kind of get a pep talk of sorts. I've always just winged it before - it's amazing how much it helped to put that effort in ahead of time. Even though I was still really nervous.

This is starting to feel real and sustainable now. It's a little scary - who am I if I'm not "the overweight" one in my family/group of friends? That's who I've been for so long. So...while it's scary to figure out who I CAN be now, it's also pretty cool. Maybe I can be the person my family comes to for great, healthy recipes. Maybe I can inspire someone else to give up grains, etc. Maybe I'll go back to school to become a nutritionist to help other people. Maybe I could run a marathon! Who knows....

This is starting to feel real and sustainable now. It's a little scary - who am I if I'm not "the overweight" one in my family/group of friends? That's who I've been for so long. So...while it's scary to figure out who I CAN be now, it's also pretty cool. Maybe I can be the person my family comes to for great, healthy recipes. Maybe I can inspire someone else to give up grains, etc. Maybe I'll go back to school to become a nutritionist to help other people. Maybe I could run a marathon! Who knows....

You can be whatever you set your mind to be :)

Well done!

Archived