Should I reschedule my W30 because of this persistent migraine?

I apologize for the great wall-o-text.

A little background on me:

I am a relatively healthy and active 23 year old female.

On June 27th nearing the end of my work day I started feeling the rhythmic pounding inside my skull of a migraine. That same migraine is still with me today and has worsened nearly to the point of not being able to function. I went to see my APRN (finally, a day before the 6 week mark) on 7/31. She put me on a preventative medication (but at a dose too low to be effective yet as it needs to be slowly increased), told me to stop taking the NSAIDs I had been attempting to garner some relief with as I was likely making my situation worse (rebound headaches) and scheduled me for a CT scan. I did tell her at that appointment that I was starting a W30 on 8/1 after she asked who was monitoring this diet, we joked that it would be me, Dr. Brittany (I'm a nurse), she did agree that it wasn't doing anything too crazy and told me good luck. (A far a my CT I haven't received full results yet but they didn't keep me in the hospital so its nothing life threatening.)

I did start my W30 on 8/1. However I am on day 9 and my migraine has gone from manageable to unbearable since the 4th. This has been the worst pain I have experienced in my entire life, including post-op pain. The pain is causing nausea and loss of appetite so I am not eating at all nor do I feel as if I have the mental processing power to decide what I want to eat, find approved ingredients to make it from and then cook it. I'd rather just stay in bed and not eat at all. This has affected all facets of my life, I have missed work this past week, cancelled plans with friends, haven't been to the gym, ect. 

I live with someone who is decidedly NOT going to participate in my 'crazy diet shenanigans.' So if I do not do the research/planning, shopping and cooking (which without this beast in my head I could do just fine). Would rescheduling/restarting when I can function normally be a cop out or what anyone would do?

Have you explored what things you are eating, drinking, or taking daily that may be affecting this?  This is one of the craziest things I have ever heard -- and I have heard a lot of stuff!  Is there something you consume daily that you started consuming more of on your Whole 30?  I know migraines can have all sorts of triggers... I would have thought the Whole 30 would bring you some relief, not make things worse.  So sorry & good luck!

If a patient told me the same thing was happening to them I would have doubted them prior to experiencing this myself (Really, constant terrible pain for weeks and you waited this long? mmmhmmm). Thankfully my APRN knows me, and knows I am not making an attempt at drug seeking or something crazy along those lines, I just have reached the limit of what I could handle on my own. Nurses really do make the worst patients. This is the most insane thing I have experienced or seen too.

Over the 7 weeks I have been dealing with this monster really my only constant has been lots and lots of water. I have attempted to adjust other variables within my control through that time. I ate more fresh foods, less processed food, cut out all sodas completely, ect. I dealt with my caffeine addiction after realizing lack of caffeine was not my problem.(Because the first thing you do when you get a headache is reach for some caffeine right, right?!?)

I really was looking into a whole 30 to sort out some 'tummy troubles' I've had since I had my gallbladder out when I was 19 that I think is related to something in my diet but I haven't managed to pinpoint it. Those issues have vastly improved since I began, however I do think that I need to restart later when I have the brain power to devote to this, right now I have nothing for even the most mundane tasks, much less something as taxing on the brain as doing something new, requiring thought, planning, and dragging yourself out of bed. 

Your post made me think of this article.  It is scientific and in some parts not an "easy" read -- but the info there is (very) worthwhile.  Maybe, if you cannot manage a Whole 30 right now, you should try for 100% gluten-free?  That is a task in itself, but easier than worrying about all of the rules here right now when you are feeling so awful.

The Link Between Gallbladder Disease and Gluten Sensitivity

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/12/the-link-between-gallbladder-disease-and-gluten-sensitivity.html

From the article:  

"The best way to be sure that gluten is not the problem is to eliminate it completely from your diet for several months (those with celiac disease can take up to 5 years to heal from the damage caused by gluten 12)."

Archived