Whole30 approved almond milk?

I've found that cashew milk most closely resembles regular milk in terms of flavor and consistency.

For those of us that make our own nut milks, instead of buying a bag to strain the milk use a knee-high nylon stocking.  Much cheaper and better results!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whole Foods sells a brand called New Barn. Their unsweetened version contains organic almonds, organic acacia gum, and sea salt. It's the only commercial almond milk that i've found that really tastes like the homemade stuff. The fact that it's compliant is just a plus!

• 6 months later...

It's September 2016 as we speak and I'm reading the Califia Farms Unsweetened Almond Milk ingredients and there is no longer Carrageenan listed. They even say on the front of the bottle CARRAGEENAN FREE!!!!!!!!! Can we add this milk to the compliant list? I can't get New Barn anywhere I live and sometimes I'm too lazy to make my own (SORRY.)

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, nicolemalena said:

It's September 2016 as we speak and I'm reading the Califia Farms Unsweetened Almond Milk ingredients and there is no longer Carrageenan listed. They even say on the front of the bottle CARRAGEENAN FREE!!!!!!!!! Can we add this milk to the compliant list? I can't get New Barn anywhere I live and sometimes I'm too lazy to make my own (SORRY.)

As long as all the ingredients are compliant, this is fine. There are quite a few more options out there than there used to be, so you may find others. Always read your labels in case they change recipes. 

On 2/6/2016 at 10:26 PM, totoro said:

Aroy-D has a fantastic additive-free coconut milk, you can order it on Amazon. I've been frothing it like milk for my espressos and it's so good I think I'm going to stick with it even after I'm done with my W30. It comes in a BPA-free carton as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WNL8RW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

What about the 2 grams of sugar it has in it?  That's not compliant is it?

Just now, PatriciaNY said:

What about the 2 grams of sugar it has in it?  That's not compliant is it?

Is it listed as an ingredient? If yes, then it's out. If it's in the nutrition info then it's fine - nuts have naturally occurring sugars.

• 2 weeks later...

How about "Organic Unsweetened Almond Vanilla Non Dairy beverage" - Kirkland (Costco)? Is it a Whole 30 compliant?

Ingredients:
Organic almond base (filtered water, organic almonds), organic vanilla flavor, sea salt, sunflower lecithin , organic locust bean gum, gellan gum, vitamin a palmitate, ergocalciferol (vitamin d2), dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate (vitamin e), riboflavin (vitamin b2), zinc gluconate, cyanocobalamin (vitamin b12).

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators
8 hours ago, whole30_patricia said:

I'm rocking this: http://ohsheglows.com/2014/06/24/coffee-shop-worthy-caramel-vanilla-bean-hazelnut-milk/

It looks compliant to me...see anything I don't? :)

While technically ingredient compliant, this falls into the category of SWYPO (Sex With Your Pants On... feel free to google if you're not familiar with the term).

This would be offlimits for your Whole30.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

So 3 dates (for a yield of 3 cups) is the deal breaker...? I don't get it.  I agree that the recipe is SWPO but I don't see how nutpods aren't...?  

3/4 cup raw hazelnuts

1/4 cup raw almonds

3 1/2 cups water

2 1/2-3 pitted Medjool dates, to taste

1 vanilla bean, roughly chopped

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

tiny pinch of fine grain sea salt (optional)

VS.

Purified water, coconut cream, almonds, natural flavors.  Contains less than 2% of acacia gum, sunflower lecithin, dipotassium phosphate, gellan gum, sea salt.

16 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

While technically ingredient compliant, this falls into the category of SWYPO (Sex With Your Pants On... feel free to google if you're not familiar with the term).

This would be offlimits for your Whole30.

Can you tell me why this is SWYPO? what's different between this and nutpods? 

1 hour ago, littleg said:

So 3 dates (for a yield of 3 cups) is the deal breaker...? I don't get it.  I agree that the recipe is SWPO but I don't see how nutpods aren't...?  

3/4 cup raw hazelnuts

1/4 cup raw almonds

3 1/2 cups water

2 1/2-3 pitted Medjool dates, to taste

1 vanilla bean, roughly chopped

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

tiny pinch of fine grain sea salt (optional)

VS.

Purified water, coconut cream, almonds, natural flavors.  Contains less than 2% of acacia gum, sunflower lecithin, dipotassium phosphate, gellan gum, sea salt.

Thanks, @littleg. I was thinking about it yesterday and also couldn't figure out the issue. Other than that it's yummy, but so is a sausage meatball. Looking forward to learning more. 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

My understanding of SWYPO is that you are trying to (compliantly) recreate something that W30 is asking you to give up for 30 days.  Creamy delicious coffee is a big one around here (if you've been reading the forums for a while, like me, there are countless people who will admit that their morning coffee was more about the creamer they added than the coffee... lots of people just give up coffee altogether because the draw wasn't to the bitter brown liquid/caffeine - it was to the creamy, sugary stuff that was added).  

I just don't see how "natural flavors" vs dates (the only real difference between the two, besides some stabilizers and thickeners) somehow makes the Nutpods compliant and the recipe not.   I mean its FRENCH VANILLA CREAMER for goodness sakes.  I'm not trying to argue that I think the recipe should be compliant, I'm arguing that I call bologna on the nutpods somehow NOT being SWYPO.  FRENCH VANILLA CREAMER... eye roll ;) 

42 minutes ago, littleg said:

My understanding of SWYPO is that you are trying to (compliantly) recreate something that W30 is asking you to give up for 30 days.  Creamy delicious coffee is a big one around here (if you've been reading the forums for a while, like me, there are countless people who will admit that their morning coffee was more about the creamer they added than the coffee... lots of people just give up coffee altogether because the draw wasn't to the bitter brown liquid/caffeine - it was to the creamy, sugary stuff that was added).  

I just don't see how "natural flavors" vs dates (the only real difference between the two, besides some stabilizers and thickeners) somehow makes the Nutpods compliant and the recipe not.   I mean its FRENCH VANILLA CREAMER for goodness sakes.  I'm not trying to argue that I think the recipe should be compliant, I'm arguing that I call bologna on the nutpods somehow NOT being SWYPO.  FRENCH VANILLA CREAMER... eye roll ;) 

haha. cute. and, i was just reading and now get it: this is on the behavioral psyche part of things--being able to do without creamy goodness...a crutch.

• Moderators

If you had a French Vanilla Creamer addiction prior to your Whole30 then I would say to leave it off... in fact, my personal opinion would be to leave off the flavored Nutpods for the same reason as the home made SWYPO concotion.  This is one of those gray areas where we each take some personal responsibility towards our own context.  The item from ohsheglows is definitely called out in the rules as not okay (due to the sweetening).  Flavored compliant items are not called out... as the food industry catches up with making whole30 compliant items, there are too many hundreds of things that we would need to call out specifically as in or out.... that's not possible.  Littleg, I agree with the French vanilla eye roll... use your own judgement here with the nutpods... if you feel they are SWYPO, leave them off... 

• 4 months later...

What about Friendly Farms Unsweetened Original Almond Milk at Aldi? I don't see any of the no-no's on the ingredient list. Almond milk, tricalcium phospate, sea salt, gellan gum, dipotassium phosphate, xantham gum, sunflower lecithin, vitamin a palmaitate, vitamin D2, vitamin E

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Julie2006 said:

What about Friendly Farms Unsweetened Original Almond Milk at Aldi? I don't see any of the no-no's on the ingredient list. Almond milk, tricalcium phospate, sea salt, gellan gum, dipotassium phosphate, xantham gum, sunflower lecithin, vitamin a palmaitate, vitamin D2, vitamin E

This is all fine... that's a lot of extras that are often unnecessary and are added for mouth feel and the like, but none are specifically called out.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone shed light on this issue of "Natural Flavors." Are they potentially bad for us?

Silk Almond milk has "Natural Flavors". On the Cheat Sheet for Additives, I see Natural flavors is ok. But my understanding is that 'Natural flavors' could be MSG or other additives not good for you. I'm wondering whether it's really ok or to keep avoiding this additive.  

Here's a link on one persons take:

http://foodbabe.com/2011/12/01/chemical-warfare-with-natural-flavor/

Archived