nycWhole30

nycemily

Day 1 today! This is my first Whole 30 but I've wanted to do one since January -- this is just the first time I could actually get my butt in gear instead of wistfully scrolling through the whole30 instagram feed and daydreaming about cleaning up my diet. I'm proud to say I'm finally ready to make a change and I'm going to pull out all the stops this time! Including logging all my food.

I slept in this morning so my meal 2 for today was more like a snack. 

Meal 1 (12:00) - Frittata with onions, broccoli, and compliant chorizo (I had 1/4 of a 12-egg frittata, so that works out to 3 eggs). 

Meal 2 (5:00) - Guacamole lettuce wraps 

Meal 3 (8:30) - shrimp and scallops marinated with olive oil, lemon, garlic, and capers; broccolini. My best friend gave me a hard time for asking our server questions about the marinade, but I tried to remember that in 30 days I'll be having the last laugh. 

Woke up at 4:30 this morning seriously hungry -- like, stomach growling, definitely would have eaten steamed fish and broccoli -- so I had half a serving of the frittata I made yesterday and went back to sleep until pretty late, so I only got two real meals in today. Sleep is something I'm hoping will get better, since often when I wake up in the middle of the night it's really hard for me to go back to sleep. So far it's been pretty smooth sailing, with no cravings and no hangover feeling, but we'll see what happens when I actually have to go to work tomorrow. 

Meal 1 (2:00pm) - sweet potato hash, three eggs, mesclun greens with olive oil and balsamic vinegar

Snack: a couple of cherries 

Meal 2 (8:00pm) - balsamic braised short ribs, sauteed mushrooms, steamed broccoli, a few cubes of watermelon

I was feeling really good this morning but I had a really stressful day at work (I'm a nurse) -- definitely one of those days where I would have had a glass of wine as a reward/to unwind. I didn't miss it that much tonight -- still too excited, I guess. I think I'll miss it a lot this weekend.

Meal 1 (5:30) - sweet potato hash, 3 eggs

Meal 2 (12:30) - leftover short ribs (my day was so hectic that I didn't even get to the vegetables I brought)

Meal 3 (10:15) - sashimi with coconut aminos, steamed broccoli, watermelon

Better day today -- I felt a little more focused, even though I was tired.

Meal 1 (5:05) -- Leftover chorizo, broccoli and onion frittata

Meal 2 (1:30) -- salad with romaine, grilled chicken, tomatoes, egg, avocado, oil, and balsamic vinegar

Meal 3 (9:30) -- baked salmon and sautéed zucchini (the zucchini came out AWESOME), one slice of melon.

Meal 1 (11:20) -- sweet potato hash, 3 eggs

Meal 2 (3:00) -- tuna and guacamole salad, melon

Meal 3 (8:00) -- I had kind of a bad day so I didn't really feel like eating much for dinner. I had a few bites of guacamole and some cherries, but I really wasn't hungry.

Day 6! My skin looks a little clearer but I could just be imagining it.

Meal 1 (9:30) -- sweet potato hash, tuna salad with homemade mayo

Meal 2 (1:45) -- I went to chipotle and got a salad with tomatoes, carnitas, and guacamole.

Meal 3 (7:30) -- chicken with 40 cloves of garlic, zucchini, mashed sweet potato

It occurs to me that I might be overdoing it with all the sweet potatoes -- I'm not very active right now. I feel pretty good, though, so I'm trying not to worry about it.

I knew day 8 was going to be a big challenge for me, since my boyfriend and I were throwing a party on the roof of our apartment and I knew it would be hard to resist having a cocktail with everyone else... but I did it! Only one person even said anything, I still had a great time and I feel great this morning. I'm so glad I didn't throw all my hard work away.

Meal 1 (9:45am) -- frittata with compliant sweet Italian sausage, onion, and broccoli, black coffee

Meal 2 (3:00pm) -- we were running around making last-minute party preparations so I just had another wedge of the frittata

Meal 3 (10:00pm) -- a bunch of raw vegetables from the crudités, poached salmon, a few slices of cantaloupe and honeydew

Meal 1 (10:30) -- this was more of a mini-meal since I had house guests and was waiting for everyone to get up before I started banging around in the kitchen -- I had a few pieces of leftover skirt steak

Meal 2 (1:30) -- black coffee, spinach and mushroom omlette with a side salad

Meal 3 (7:30) -- leftover poached salmon; raw carrots, celery and green beans with homemade mayo; melon

Day 11:

Meal 1 (5:15am) -- leftover frittata, black coffee

Meal 2 (11:50) -- salad with chicken, chopped egg, tomato, avocado, oil and vinegar

Meal 3 (8:30) -- deconstructed steak fajitas with grilled vegetables

My clothes feel the same but my cheekbones are starting to come out a little. My focus and energy at work today were pretty high, too.

Day 12:

Visiting my parents' house tonight -- made an awesome whole30 compliant dinner for my mom and brother. My mom has read ISWF and is talking about starting after Labor Day, I hope she does! She said that I looked slimmer and noticed my clear skin.

Meal 1 (9:30) -- tomato and basil soup, 3 sunny-side-up eggs, and guacamole

Meal 2 (1:30) -- leftover deconstructed fajitas, watermelon

Meal 3 (7:15) -- chicken thighs with garlic and scallions, mashed sweet potatoes with coconut oil, fresh local cherry tomatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper

Archived