Karen's Whole30 Life

Kmlynne

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, Karen -- dammit.  I'm about to send my husband down there to bring your treadmill up from the basement for you!

.......Not kidding..........   :mellow:

No kidding about that show, either -- you are spot-on.  I have never watched it (as I've said before) -- but "reality' TV is often so far from reality, it's just ridiculous.

And the hits keep on coming....

Anyway - not going to dwell.  A trip into town to DMV (on a Sat in VA - guess how long that took) today to hopefully have taken care of the last of the paperwork for the car.  Then took DS to work and I headed to the gym.  I really wanted to go hiking but as it was dreary and misty out, I opted for the inside.  Did 10 miles on the treadmill and only stopped because my hip hurt so bad I was having trouble swinging my leg forward.  Once I showered I was fine :)

Picked up DS, and DD made it home from the rescue squad so we went out for a family dinner.  We stopped by Sweet Frog on the way home.  I admit that I "indulged".  However, I had 2 bites of eggnog frozen yogurt/icecream (what ever they call it) and it was too sweet to eat.  I threw the rest away.

Ketonix:  71 red

FBS: 97 (I wish this would come down and have decided that it must be stress related)

M1:  3 eggs, mushrooms and spinach cooked in ghee

BS: 79

M2:  Applebees cheeseburger (no bun) with house salad (no croutons) and blue cheese dressing.  I didn't take my own dressing so hoping the soy in theirs doesn't get to me too badly.  However, as I followed this meal with the ice cream bites, I won't know if it is that or the dressing :)

I did spend a little time on the ketonix site and was reading with interest about how to set you "customized" keto settings.   It involves a 3 day water fast (no food - only water I believe).  Take your reading on day on, then on day three.  For optimal ketosis, stay between these two measurements.  Any lower isn't ketosis.  Any higher, you are not getting enough calories.  Sounds interesting, but I am not sure that I am wanting to do a three day fast.  

So, I was looking back over the last few posts and realized that I didn't log the fruit that I ate on Thursday and Friday (yesterday and the day before).  I had gotten my omelets at work and saw that there was fresh berries on the fruit bar.  

On thursday, I had 2 strawberries and 3 blackberries.  On Friday, I had 4 blackberries and 2 raspberries - oh my goodness they were sooooooo sweet! Yum :)

And the hits keep on coming....

Anyway - not going to dwell.  A trip into town to DMV (on a Sat in VA - guess how long that took) today to hopefully have taken care of the last of the paperwork for the car.  Then took DS to work and I headed to the gym.  I really wanted to go hiking but as it was dreary and misty out, I opted for the inside.  Did 10 miles on the treadmill and only stopped because my hip hurt so bad I was having trouble swinging my leg forward.  Once I showered I was fine :)

Picked up DS, and DD made it home from the rescue squad so we went out for a family dinner.  We stopped by Sweet Frog on the way home.  I admit that I "indulged".  However, I had 2 bites of eggnog frozen yogurt/icecream (what ever they call it) and it was too sweet to eat.  I threw the rest away.

Ketonix:  71 red

FBS: 97 (I wish this would come down and have decided that it must be stress related)

M1:  3 eggs, mushrooms and spinach cooked in ghee

BS: 79

M2:  Applebees cheeseburger (no bun) with house salad (no croutons) and blue cheese dressing.  I didn't take my own dressing so hoping the soy in theirs doesn't get to me too badly.  However, as I followed this meal with the ice cream bites, I won't know if it is that or the dressing :)

I did spend a little time on the ketonix site and was reading with interest about how to set you "customized" keto settings.   It involves a 3 day water fast (no food - only water I believe).  Take your reading on day on, then on day three.  For optimal ketosis, stay between these two measurements.  Any lower isn't ketosis.  Any higher, you are not getting enough calories.  Sounds interesting, but I am not sure that I am wanting to do a three day fast.  

WHAT?! Ten miles on the treadmill! Wow. Girl, that is something else. 

This is amazing awareness you're developing, Karen! And that you were able to toss the rest of the dessert after a few bites once you realized it wasn't worth it. Wow. Good job. 

I agree with you that fruit is so tasty and sweet now that I don't eat sugar. I had a handful of blueberries last night and they were delicious.

Continuing to pray for you and your family. 

Church today - then I had to run away for a few hours to the woods for some "stream" therapy.  8 miles hiked, 1/2 hours spent sitting at a SMALL waterfall.  Wish I could have stayed all night but it was getting cold :)

Not hungry at all today.  I had packed meal 1 to eat at church between practice and service (per as usual) - ended up taking it on the hike with me.  I ate it this afternoon just because I felt I should.  Now I am sitting here with meal two next to me and I have no desire to eat.  But I will because I should.  I know that this is stress taking my appetite away.  This has happened in the past.  I either don't eat, or I binge.  I will NOT binge.  I will be good to myself.

Ketonix:  51 yellow

FBS:  87

BS?

M1:  2 eggs deviled, dill pickle

BS:  92

Ketonix:  43

M2:  2 chicken tenders, green beans, 2 fat bombs

I will be good to myself.

Yes.  Yes, you will.  :)

Oh, I can't tell you how much I wish I could have hiked to a waterfall with you today.............   I have been on my feet ALL DAY (not exaggerating, not even a little bit) doing laundry & cooking and stepping around and around the house.  I just looked at my counter and I am only at ~5,000 steps.  That is a downside to this thing.  I should get credit for STANDING.  haha

Oh, and guess what happened this morning?  I took my sleeping fitbit wrist band off and put it in the pocket of my fleece jacket that I wear around the house, so that I could wash my hands.  Got busy going around and around and around the house, GOT HOT and took off my fleece -- completely forgetting that the fitbit was in the pocket of the fleece (I usually wear it on my bra).   So that didn't help.  I went to look at my steps, and realized I was pacing and pacing around and I didn't even have the damn thing ON me!   :lol:  Oh well......  it will all work out.

Brewer - you made me laugh today!

I can remember a day that I actually left the house and then realized that I had left the fitbit behind!  I doubled back to get it!  I was so upset that the steps that I had been taking that morning didn't count  :(   You are right, tho - in the end, it didn't matter.  

There are days at work where I have felt like I walked 10-15 miles.  I look at my steps - less than 3 miles.  How does that happen? <_<

It's probably because I read too much cyberpunk stuff in high school, but I'm really looking forward to when we have cool implantable devices that do all this stuff for us.  Like a fitbit that tracks data but also a healthy person's version of an insulin pump, like giving us squirts of hormones and chemicals when we need them.

Work day today.  Made the decision to step down from a couple of committee positions.  I was hard but I just can't handle the added responsibilities right now.  My manager is standing by my decision.  I know that I have some big decisions to make down the road, but for now, one day at a time.

When I got off work, I only had 6000 steps for the day.  Thought about going to the gym but was too tired.  Instead, I came home, turned on Amazon Prime and watched an episode and a half while pacing the house - 12000 steps done for the day and I am going to bed :)

Ketonix 59 red

FBS 106 (what?)

M1:  mushroom and pepper omelet with butter and sour cream, 2 slices bacon, one sausage patty

BS: 87

M2:  2 chicken tenders, broccoli slaw

M3:  chicken apple sausage, sauerkraut, goat cheese, pecans and cashews

Karen, you hiked EIGHT miles yesterday, and did not eat much at all.  My guess is your FBG is up due to stress.

Congrats on making decisions at work that will hopefully bring you some more peace in your life.  You need it.   :)

Edited to say:  And 10 miles the day before that!  ...Again, with very little food.

I'm about to break out the Mom voice.  Kar-en!

Not sure how I double posted earlier... :) :) 

Wanted to say kudos to you for stepping down from those committees at work. 

Also good for you for getting your steps in today despite being tired after work. I bet you're still tired from all the extra miles this weekend, too!

Its been a long week.  Thankfully, the weather wasn't too bad and I was able to get outside - not to mention that it didn't get too cold in my house while I had no heat :)

Things were busy at work yesterday:  of note:

ketonix 59 (red)

FBS: 97  <_<

M1:  mushroom and cheese omelet with butter.  bacon and sausage.  They changed the sour cream here at work - read the ingredients:  Modified food starch.  What the heck is that and why is it needed in sour cream?  The crazy thing - it tasted different, so that's why I looked at the ingredients!

M2:  cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, pickles and no bun - added some blue cheese dressing on top

M3:  I was hungry :)  This meal was while I was still at work:   2 egg salad with mayo and pickle relish, cheese cubed and about 10 grapes

M4:  Home - still hungry!  5 slices hard salami with 5 slices cheddar cheese

Today:  I woke at 5 am and MADE myself go back to sleep.  Finally woke at 9! :P   Was headed to the gym when the insurance company called - the person hurt in my son's accident is claiming injuries - insurance company couldn't tell me what but they needed a follow-up statement from DS.  Made it to the gym and got an hour in.  Back home to pick up DS.  Back to town for a meeting at work (unproductive), then on the way to a counseling appointment for him, I got hit while driving.  Fortunately, no official police report - although the other person was calling 911 almost as soon as we collided - and the insurance company is calling it a "no fault" - in other words, because I live in the great state of VA, in this type of accident where both parties are at fault, and neither party can give proof that the other is liable, it is up to each drivers own insurance companies to deal with the collision on the vehicle they cover.  I told my insurance company that I was not interested in getting my car fixed - there is only some paint scraped off my front corner and a minor dent.  My case is closed.

So, on to counseling - where I ended up getting a counseling session of my own with the secretary at the front desk.  Am ashamed to admit that I cried right there in front of her.  Then DS and I ran some other errands - including the grocery store.  Home in time to cook some chicken, brats and veggies for the week.  Headed out to church when the NICU at my sister hospital called looking for help tonight.  I was feeling guilty about saying "no" because I really need the extra money right no, but when they asked, all I could think about was how tired I was.  Not 15 minutes later, my unit called and needed help tonight.  So, after church, I headed to work and here I am :)  Going to be a long night - and I won't get much sleep tomorrow since I have to get DS to and from work.

not measurements today - and really not hungry at all.  I ate because I am "supposed to".

M1:  epic bar

M2:  small can salmon with mayo and pickle relish

I have packed a chicken thigh and some broccoli for tonight but am not feeling it right now.  Maybe later.  

I'm coming in on the middle of this and only read the last page of posts, and I'm already exhausted on your behalf.  Folks who work NICUs and ICUs and anywhere in a hospital have levels of exhaustion and stress that the rest of the world can't even imagine.  Taking care of yourself seems like a really, really important thing to do.

ThyPeace, whose brother's son is currently receiving care in one of those places.  Total gratitude for all you do! 

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers :). It really means a lot!

One big thing I have learned through the years being here - well, two:

1). Friendships - even if just "virtual" are invaluable

2). Letting go of a healthy lifestyle in the midst of stress and chaos doesn't help :)

Archived