Karen's Whole30 Life

Kmlynne

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Work went fairly well last night.  I made it until 6 am before actually feeling sleepy :)  Had a quick meal that perked me up and I was good to go through the rest of the shift.  Fortunately, no new babies born during the night!

Home and in bed by 8, wakened by a phone call at 945, took DS to work at 1045 and was back in bed by 1130.  I read until about noon (last time I looked at the clock and was debating about getting up to go to the gym since I couldn't sleep....  when I woke up and it was 430 :)

Headed off to the gym about 6.  I had my headphones in hand as I walked out the door, and when I got to the gym, couldn't find them anywhere!  I was so looking forward to finishing my movie.  So, I stopped at the dollar general next door to the gym and bought a cheap pair.  For 3 dollars, I wasn't expecting much - but I couldn't hear anything :(.  (they were returned after my workout).  I had the thought that with the late start getting out of the house, the lack of headphones, and business of the gym, that maybe I wasn't supposed to be working out today.  I didn't let myself believe that and instead opened up Kindle, and picked a book I hadn't read in  a long time.  It was enough to pass the time and I was able to get about 5 miles in.  On the way home, picked up DS from work and now am heading for bed.

No measurements today - I was half way through meal 1 when I realized that I hadn't checked my bs.  Figured that I wasn't going to worry about it.  Its been a little on the higher side lately (probably stress) and being up all night probably didn't help it much :)  Maybe I will check on it tomorrow....

M1:   2 chicken thighs, roasted broccoli and mushrooms

M2:  pulled pork, bean sprout salad

M3:  5 sliced salami with cream cheese, dill pickle

I have been feeling good on my walks, with the exception of that old hip injury from a few years back.  Hopefully as I keep up these daily distances, it will ease off like it did last year.

Now, to try to sleep.  Since I slept all day - even though I am not caught up, I am now awake.....  How did I ever used to do this night shift stuff?????

A day where nothing went wrong!!!!  

Well, practically....

Worked today.  Here is the thing about taking care of babies - just as soon as you think you have things all figured out, one of them will do something strange that scares the crap out of you.  But all is well :)

One of my coworkers offered to work the first several hours of my shift - and I took her up on it.  Slept in until 730, then up to do some paperwork (my own home stuff that has been waiting for me for far too long).  A quick run to the post office, dropped DS off at work and then I went to work.  Home to discover I had 6000 steps to do for the day.  Thought about not doing them.  Then thought, why not?  I set a goal for daily steps and I will be darned if I am going to let some stress in my life keep me from my goal. :)  So, I paced the living room while watching Biggest Loser.  As I was watching, DS made a comment that "If you google all these people you will see that they all gained the weight back".  I responded,  "If I worked out 8 hours a day to lose the weight, then stopped working out that much, I would gain it back too."  We both agreed that this is the unhealthy way.  However, it got me thinking.  If you condensed the last 20 years of my life, it really is just a series of "Biggest Losers"  - lose the weight, gain it back.  Lose the weight, gain it back.  I suddenly realized 2015 is the first year that I have ended the year weight less than I started.  Usually, I lose by summer, then gain it back during the winter.......  Progress :)

M1:  pulled pork and bean sprout salad

M2:  mushroom/spinach/bacon/cheese omelet (made with 2 eggs + 2yolks) and sour cream 

Decent day at work today.  Had one baby who was doing well, so was able to really get some work done on a paper I've been meaning to write.  Updated the powerpoint and brochures that went with it to.  Will proofread tomorrow or the next day, then send it to my manager.

Found myself a bit on the hungry side today.  Since the cafeteria closes at 4pm (seriously) on the weekends, I had to wait until I was home.  I also didn't get my steps in today - but its ok.

M1:  most of a spinach/mushroom/bacon and cheese omelet (made with 2 eggs+ 2 yolks)

M2:  brat, broccoli and mushrooms

M3:  pulled pork with just a little bit of bbq sauce (have to be careful that this doesn't become occasional or often), bean sprout salad, spoonful of cream cheese

You get an amazing number of steps, I have to say.  I'm happy when I make it to 10,000 in a day (5 miles), and you did that in one session on the treadmill.  You go girl!

ThyPeace, whose nephew is breathing without assistance but with added oxygen now, and the docs finally let him nurse.  Yay nephew!  (Bronchiolitis and pneumonia and something called "reactive lung disorder."  It's been a miserable few days for them.)

You get an amazing number of steps, I have to say.  I'm happy when I make it to 10,000 in a day (5 miles), and you did that in one session on the treadmill.  You go girl!

ThyPeace, whose nephew is breathing without assistance but with added oxygen now, and the docs finally let him nurse.  Yay nephew!  (Bronchiolitis and pneumonia and something called "reactive lung disorder."  It's been a miserable few days for them.)

So glad to hear thypeace'snephew is doing better! He has been in my prayers :)

I have been hiking for a couple years now. So sometimes the steps just come - it's a stress relief now instead of a chore

been gone from the forum for a couple of days.  Just working.  I did go to the gym last night and got about an hour of walking in.  It is really cold here - I just can't bring myself to walk outside in below freezing weather.  

I have mostly stayed on track with eating - more of the same of what I have been posting.  However, today at work they had creamed crab soup.  I made a decision to have some - in a bread bowl.  I am really glad I did.  It wasn't an emotional decision.  It wasn't a cravings decision.  I enjoyed it.  I had a tiny bit of belly griping afterwards (probably had soy in it, which I am allergic to) but that wasn't too bad.  I am glad I had it.  Once home, I had no further cravings to continue eating carbs.  I had no desire to continue to eat.  I have no problem knowing that I am, as of the moment I finished it, focused on eating well.  Onwards.

No measurements over the last couple of days.  I was getting tired of seeing fast glucoses in the 100s.  *sigh*

I did go to the gym last night and got about an hour of walking in.  It is really cold here - I just can't bring myself to walk outside in below freezing weather.

Yeah... I just got a message that Karen passed me by 28,000 steps ~ and cheered me.  Lol.   :lol:

The weather these past few days has been SO cold.  I don't check it often, but I've seen it between 1 and 12 degrees.  Come on.  

If you can't laugh at life, it will bring you to your knees.  Even if you laugh, you should laugh from a kneeling position.

Woke up today not feeling too well.  To the gym for a workout, and just didn't feel right.  Since I had to take DS to the Dr (and he is my dr too) I asked for a script for a UA - they did it in the office - I have a bad bladder infection, possibly to the kidneys - so I am on another antibiotic.

Come home just in time for the furnace guy - I had to have the second system looked at.  It wasn't installed properly, and due to the negligence in that, the system has been working too hard and has burned itself out.  So, that system is now going to need replacement.  (Also found out that although I was charged for a new system installment in 2009, it was a 2005 system put in and the outside unit didn't match the inside unit, making it have to work harder there....  ductwork not installed properly so only half the coils were getting the airflow....  i could go on).  

*sigh*

The storm that is coming to the east coast is messing up my travel plans as well.  I feel like I just can't win.

On the plus side - no bucket of ice cream for me :)  

Are you just gonna go straight to the hard drugs?   :blink:

LOL!!!!

Actually, in another life (not so long ago), I would have.....  all part and parcel with the food addiction, I suppose.  The thing is, a drink, or some "pharmaceuticals" never even crossed my ming - and the ice cream thought was fleeting.  

After the crab soup yesterday, I knew I wouldn't have any problems today getting refocused.  However, there was that tiny voice of doubt that had me prepared to fight that dragon.  All that being said, the ice cream thought wasn't about the cravings, but rather about emotion.  As soon as I thought it, I realized it for what it was and knew that if I even entertained the thought it would lead to places I don't want to go.  

so I didn't.......

For those of you who pray, I ask for prayer for my good friend Mary Anne who died this evening after a 7 year battle with cancer.  Please keep her husband and her nine children in prayer as they grieve the loss of their wife and mother.  Mary Anne was a precious friend and a beautiful light in this world.  I praise God that she is no longer hurting, that she is at rest.  I will miss her deeply.

Actually, in another life (not so long ago), I would have.....  all part and parcel with the food addiction, I suppose.  The thing is, a drink, or some "pharmaceuticals" never even crossed my ming - and the ice cream thought was fleeting. 

Just so everyone knows:  I did not know this, or I would not have joked about it!   :unsure:

Karen..........  SO impressed with you staying strong through everything life is throwing at you.  Congrats.

Thank you for the prayers for my nephew, Kmlynne.  And I'm so sorry for your friend's passing.  May her memory be a blessing.

My nephew is home now with a diagnosis of asthma, an inhaler, two exhausted and extremely stressed parents, and.... slept through the night last night after some help from the inhaler.  A huge step toward normal for them.  Now they just need some more support than they had been getting.  I am several hundred miles away and about to get buried in two feet of snow, or I would be stopping by their house this weekend and kicking them out for several hours.  

Instead, I will be doing my taxes and watching movies with DH.  Oh, and figuring out to do with a whole eye roast, chicken carcasses, eggs, ground beef, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, shallots, onions, kale, beets, carrots, eggplant, guacamole, apples, blueberries, blackberries, honeydew melon, olive oil, coconut oil, butter, and whatever spices and herbs I decide to throw in.  And probably some other things, but that's what comes immediately to mind.

ThyPeace, the worst will probably be the commute home tomorrow.

So, my morning meeting finished early, the late morning meeting was cancelled.  The furnace guys were here first thing and looks like they will finish before the bad weather arrived.  I has been snowing for the last 40 minutes or so and already sticking to the grass, but not the roads yet.  I took the kids to their various places (DD is running Rescue Squad all weekend, DS had to go to work).  I do have to pick up DS at 7 tonight, but already warned him that if the roads start looking bad, I will be picking him up early.

I don't have TV, so have the challenge of trying to find up to the minute local broadcasts.  However, once I get home this evening, I have no where to be until monday, so I can hunker down and not worry :)

On another note.....  DS and I got into a big fight as I was taking him to work.  I feel that he just doesn't get that there are consequences to his actions.  (He's mostly upset that he hasn't had his computer for *gasp* almost 2 weeks and he has nothing to do.  This discussion led into other areas...  and well, I was upset when I hit the grocery store.  I walked out (along with my other groceries) with a tub of ice cream and a canned margarita drink.  (OK - so the ice cream "tub" is one of those 1.00$ ones.....  and I didn't go the the ABC store for the "hard" stuff!).  Right now, they are sitting in fridge/freezer.  I may or may not actually indulge.  I did think that it was a good thing that I am going to be snowed in for the weekend tho!  

On the other hand, I found some cross-stich and a crocheted blanket that were started and not finished.  I am planning on doing nothing this weekend but work on these, and watch movies.  No worrying about steps, or activity.  I have nothing else in my house I shouldn't be eating, so I am good on that front too.  

For all of you on the east coast - I hope you don't have to be out and about in this weather.  If you do, BE CAREFUL!  Sit back, and enjoy the snow!  Be a kid again, go out and have a snowball fight, make a snow angel, just enjoy it for a day - then you can worry about all the other things life throws at you....   :)

shoveling snow has been strangely cathartic.  I have been out there 3 times already!  I will probably keep going out every couple of hours until I go to bed.  BTW - It's still snowing :)

DS has been surprisingly helpful today since I picked him up from work early.  Stopped by the "out"laws and he brought in some wood for them.  came home and helped me shovel the driveway without being asked.....  

Got a call from a co-worker - wanted to know if I wanted to finish her shift today and work for her tomorrow.....  Can you believe I said "No".  I can't.  

shoveling snow has been strangely cathartic.  I have been out there 3 times already!  I will probably keep going out every couple of hours until I go to bed.  BTW - It's still snowing :)

Make sure you hop around, now -- or the steps don't count!   :rolleyes:   

{heavy sarcasm}

{I have had no desire to get steps this week.}

P.S.  I LOVE shoveling snow.  LOVE it.  Wish I could come and help!

Archived