Meal Planning on a Budget

AJoyfulMelody

Ok, so I went grocery shopping this weekend buying only foods that were Whole30 compliant(didnt realize how hard it would be), and ended up spending nearly TRIPLE my grocery budget for the week. We dont have a whole foods nearby, sadly . The meat prices are suprisingly cheaper, its everything else that was soo expensive. Our local farmers market is about to close for the season, so that isn't an option for me eiether.  Anyone have any tips or tricks they could offer? What about buying certain pantry items online? Thanks for your help =)

what were you buying? 

If you purchased a lot of pantry items, like coconut oil, coconut aminos, almond flour, etc. you will find it very expensive but note that most of these things do not need to be purchased every week (and some not at all--like almond flour). 

If you are finding vegetables to be very expensive, you might try selecting only seasonal fresh veggies (which should be less), and supplementing with frozen vegetables, making sure you pick the ones that are just veggies, no "butter" or "cheese" sauce, etc.

The first time my husband and I did the WHOLE 30, my grocery bill was the same. Talk about SHOCK! haha Reason being is because of exactly what missmary mentioned above. I spent about $200 at the store this weekend for the week (breakfast/luch/dinner for two adults), however next week, I anticipate only spending around $130. This will include breakfast, lunch and dinner, again for just 2 adults. 

Some tricks I use to save are: 

vegies: buy what's in season/frozen (buy in bulk sometimes and freeze myself)

fruit: buy frozen for smoothies but buy the larger fruits that last longer (watermelon, honey dew, etc.)

Also, Trader Joes is GREAT for buying nuts, frozen fruit and fresh fruit/vegies - I find it to be SO much cheaper than in the GIANT i go to. There meat is more expensive though, I think, except for the chicken. You can also buy relatively cheap dried fruit there as well - mango slices (not the sugar coated ones) taste amazing!!! They are def a staple for my husband and I. Also, try to buy the fresh herbs as plants (basil, mint, etc...it's much cheaper to water herb plants and keep them on your windowsill then to buy them fresh every week.)

Good luck!!! It's day one for both of us - hope it's going well for you so far! 

• Moderators

The first time my husband and I did the WHOLE 30, my grocery bill was the same. Talk about SHOCK! haha Reason being is because of exactly what missmary mentioned above. I spent about $200 at the store this weekend for the week (breakfast/luch/dinner for two adults), however next week, I anticipate only spending around $130. This will include breakfast, lunch and dinner, again for just 2 adults. 

Some tricks I use to save are: 

vegies: buy what's in season/frozen (buy in bulk sometimes and freeze myself)

fruit: buy frozen for smoothies but buy the larger fruits that last longer (watermelon, honey dew, etc.)

Also, Trader Joes is GREAT for buying nuts, frozen fruit and fresh fruit/vegies - I find it to be SO much cheaper than in the GIANT i go to. There meat is more expensive though, I think, except for the chicken. You can also buy relatively cheap dried fruit there as well - mango slices (not the sugar coated ones) taste amazing!!! They are def a staple for my husband and I. Also, try to buy the fresh herbs as plants (basil, mint, etc...it's much cheaper to water herb plants and keep them on your windowsill then to buy them fresh every week.)

Good luck!!! It's day one for both of us - hope it's going well for you so far! 

Lauren,

Great tips! I too find frozen veggies not only affordable but quick and no prep which is an extra bonus. Growing your own herbs, too, huge money saver.

Save even more by skipping the frozen fruit. Smoothies are discouraged on the Whole30. Every meal you eat should follow the Meal Template's portions of protein, vegetables and fat, which is nearly impossible to achieve with a smoothie. It is also discouraged because drinking your food does not give you the same sense of satiety.

• Moderators

A few more cost-cutting tips:

Canned salmon. A 14.75 oz can is around $4-$5 where I am (depending where you shop I'm sure you could find a better price). I make No Fuss Salmon Cakes from It Starts With Food almost every week and it makes an entire cookie sheet full (4 servings). Frugal and delicious.

Canned sardines. High quality protein, and super portable. Don't turn your nose up, they are delicious (and yes, I'm still a teeny bit surprised how good they are every. single. time.)

Eggs. If you can't afford pastured, it's ok, regular grocery store eggs are fine.  Boil up a dozen for the week or make/tweak Nom Nom Paleo's Mini-Frittattas. Again, two perfect options for grabbing on the go.

You can also ask at your grocery store or farmer's market if they have "imperfect" produce and/or meat that needs to be used that day. Most places, if they don't already have it on a discount rack or something, will gladly give you the food that most people deem inedible but is in fact perfectly fine, either for free or for a low price. Bonus: quite often, the lumpy tomatoes, spotty apples, and gnarly carrots are often the best-tasting ones ;)

Archived