First Time, Starting August 18th 2014

Dayleo

So I have read the "it Starts With Food" after finding out I have hypothyroidism. Turns out I gained 20lbs in the last 5 months, despite working out and eating 'healtheir' than most people. I can no longer look at myself in the mirror in a bathing suit, let alone naked because I'm disgusted I have gotten to this point. I have to try something drastic to get my body and my frame of mind back into proper balance. After reading so many wonderful reviews, I want to try the Whole30. I am excited yet terrified. My will power is not always up to par. So I found this forum I will post to as well as my facebook page in order to hopefully keep myself accountable for setting up a healthy lifestyle. Wish me luck!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello! My name is Nicole Ellis and my husband and I are starting August 18th as well. With a 10 month old we are always on the go and we get so busy to make nutritious and healthy foods. We are looking to change that with the Whole30! We want to feel better with ourselves and also be the best that we can be for our son! We cannot wait to start! We are newbies and we appreciate any support that is given to us! 

I'm in too! I did my first Whole 30 during June 2013 and have been doing two more since (and eating mostly Paleo the rest of the time). Lately I've been falling of the wagon though, eating dairy and quite a lot of sugar and my body is beginning to let me know that this is not OK. I've been feeling bloated, lethargic and moody and I also need to put that sugar dragon back to sleep.

I'm not doing the Whole 30 to lose weight, just to feel better and be happy (my constant sugar-headache does not make me happy at all at the moment...aaargh). I would like to put on some more weight actually, in muscle form :)  I also hope for some more energy during my Crossfit classes, and perhaps some new PR's as well at the end of the month. Fingers crossed!

I'm also hypothyroid.  I've read most of this book and I am scared to death that I'll fail at this but I'm determined to feel better and lose weight.  Maybe being included in a forum will help. 

That is exactly why I joined a forum too! I figured if I have a bad day or am struggling, I'll get support from others doing the same thing I am!

I'll be starting august 18th as well, I also have hypothyroidism and hope to get my energy back (loosing a little weight would be a huge bonus)

Energy is my number one priority. I have been so sluggish, non motivated and I'm tired of being tired. I want to be able to take on the world!

So I have read the "it Starts With Food" after finding out I have hypothyroidism. Turns out I gained 20lbs in the last 5 months, despite working out and eating 'healtheir' than most people. I can no longer look at myself in the mirror in a bathing suit, let alone naked because I'm disgusted I have gotten to this point. I have to try something drastic to get my body and my frame of mind back into proper balance. After reading so many wonderful reviews, I want to try the Whole30. I am excited yet terrified. My will power is not always up to par. So I found this forum I will post to as well as my facebook page in order to hopefully keep myself accountable for setting up a healthy lifestyle. Wish me luck!

Ok! My plan of attack for the 1st week has been this; spent this last week mentally preparing and cleaning out my fridge and pantry. I tested a few recipes where I can make substitutions w/paleo cooking in mind. Found cooking oils like Ghee & coconut for decent prices. I have drastically cut out my sugar from teas & coffee altogether. Not as tough as I thought it would be. Saturday I am going shopping at Bj's for bulk proteins, fruits & veggies. I will use Sunday to portion my foods, make sauces and dressings for quick use during the week. My husband and our roommate are joining me in the task so I will not have to make seperate meals for dinnertime, thank god! I have alerted all the ladies at my office (who order out lunches EVERYDAY) to please not ask me if I want anything. Just assume I've already brought my lunch, which I will! I will be creating a Page on Facebook to all my friends, letting them know what I am trying to accomplish and to please not ask me out to dinner's, parties, happy hours etc. in support of what I'm doing. Encouragements are enough! I think I have a good gameplan, and I feel my mind is dead set in what it needs to do to create a healthy life change!

Ok! My plan of attack for the 1st week has been this; spent this last week mentally preparing and cleaning out my fridge and pantry. I tested a few recipes where I can make substitutions w/paleo cooking in mind. Found cooking oils like Ghee & coconut for decent prices. I have drastically cut out my sugar from teas & coffee altogether. Not as tough as I thought it would be. Saturday I am going shopping at Bj's for bulk proteins, fruits & veggies. I will use Sunday to portion my foods, make sauces and dressings for quick use during the week. My husband and our roommate are joining me in the task so I will not have to make seperate meals for dinnertime, thank god! I have alerted all the ladies at my office (who order out lunches EVERYDAY) to please not ask me if I want anything. Just assume I've already brought my lunch, which I will! I will be creating a Page on Facebook to all my friends, letting them know what I am trying to accomplish and to please not ask me out to dinner's, parties, happy hours etc. in support of what I'm doing. Encouragements are enough! I think I have a good gameplan, and I feel my mind is dead set in what it needs to do to create a healthy life change!

OH! I also bought the NomNom Paleo cook book. A M A Z I N G!!!

I am starting on Aug 18 as well.  Back in July 2013, I gave up diary and gluten for 3 months no cheating. I added some diary back after the 3 months and ate gluten on Thanksgiving, Christmas and some other times.  By April, I'd lost all most 90lbs. Well, I was in my first year of teaching and became stressed out and turned back to my comfort foods and stress eating habits.  I gained 30lbs back. I know the Whole30 isn't a weigh loss plan but I know it will get me back on track.  I'm training for a Spartan Sprint so the combination of the Whole30 and the workouts will help me lose that 30 and than some. The race is Nov 15 and my birthday is around that sometime so maybe I'll do a whole90, complete my race and than celebrate my finish and my birthday with some (cheese)cake.  

Hi everyone!!  

I too am starting on August 18....I'm excited and nervous!  I was diagnosed with hyperthyroid a couple years ago...I was eating very clean, and then a bout of food poisoning landed me in the hospital last summer.  After that I lost some of my good eating habits, and I'm hoping to get back on track, try some new things, and boost my energy!!  I've done the shopping and prep work--ready to give this a try!!!

Good luck to everyone else starting tomorrow!!!!

I am starting on Aug 18 as well.  Back in July 2013, I gave up diary and gluten for 3 months no cheating. I added some diary back after the 3 months and ate gluten on Thanksgiving, Christmas and some other times.  By April, I'd lost all most 90lbs. Well, I was in my first year of teaching and became stressed out and turned back to my comfort foods and stress eating habits.  I gained 30lbs back. I know the Whole30 isn't a weigh loss plan but I know it will get me back on track.  I'm training for a Spartan Sprint so the combination of the Whole30 and the workouts will help me lose that 30 and than some. The race is Nov 15 and my birthday is around that sometime so maybe I'll do a whole90, complete my race and than celebrate my finish and my birthday with some (cheese)cake.  

I have always wanted to try one of those races but never felt I was in good enough shape. Good for you!!

This is my first Whole30 and I started today.  My reasons for starting one is to understand my relationship and response to the food I eat, for a nutritional reset and to break my sugar and artificial sweetener dependence.  I have a long and sordid history of disordered eating and disconnection with my health/body.  I would like to take a healthy approach to understanding it all and start to build a healthy relationship with my body, health, and food.  I am nervous about this process because I really want to stick to it and I am afraid of the strength of my bad habits.  I am hopeful and look forward to reading the forum throughout this process.

This is my first Whole30 and I started today.  My reasons for starting one is to understand my relationship and response to the food I eat, for a nutritional reset and to break my sugar and artificial sweetener dependence.  I have a long and sordid history of disordered eating and disconnection with my health/body.  I would like to take a healthy approach to understanding it all and start to build a healthy relationship with my body, health, and food.  I am nervous about this process because I really want to stick to it and I am afraid of the strength of my bad habits.  I am hopeful and look forward to reading the forum throughout this process.

Thats a great reason to start! At first I wanted to lose weight with this, but now my thought process on food altogether has changed. I look at food ad's on tv and in public and my mind has actualy had a negative affect to all the bad food stuff. My stomach actually turns when I think of bad, greasy or sweet foods! I think it helped that I mentally prepared for more than a week or so and slowly took a few addictive things out of my food and drinks. You can do this! It really is all about changing how we look at our food. Good luck!

Hi aetilson, I have also struggled with disordered eating for the past ten years, and I'm scared of failing because I know what a strong hold bingeing and restricting has on me. I'll be struggling with you every step, so let me know if you'd like to email back and forth or hold each other accountable in some way. Every time I've tried the Whole30, my bad habits (and justifications for them) have started creeping in by day 3...

I'm starting today too. This is my first Whole30 and I am ready to rock it. Remember, you have other people experiencing the same temptations as you (mine is cheese….oh cheese), so we just need to overcome those temptations one at a time. Easy!

Good luck everyone!

Hey all!

I am doing another W30 and starting today (August 18th) also.  I have completed 6 W30s (or more - longest was W87).  My most recent W30 was in July and then on August 2nd, I went on a 2-week vacation and let my nutrition go (we were on the road for almost 2 weeks straight). 

I have been there and done most of that.  I really value this WOL and the relationship with food thing is such a big thing for me.  This first week (for some) can be challenging but it is so very, very worth it if you can get well into week 2... It can really be a life changer!  Plan each day the night before and use your weekends to pre-cook and prepare for meals for the week. 

After two weeks on the road eating hotel food and crap (and indigestion, bloating, heartburn), I am so very much looking forward to the structure and benefits of W30.

Cheers

DJ

Hi all, My name is Sarah and I'm starting today as well. I'm a total newbie, it's my first ever Whole 30.

I workout out quite a bit, heavy lifting and cardio 5 days a week, but I'm really not lean at all. I'm a pretty healthy eater, but in general I do not have a good relationship with food. I've tried a few "clean" eating plans in the past, but nearly everyone in the fitness industry pretty much touts the "Chicken/fish, rice, veggies, and eat six times a day" plan. It's never worked for me for a variety of reasons (I get SO tired of chicken, grains have never sat well with me, food prep is time consuming). Also, I knew in the back of my head, or at least I suspected, that this really wasn't a healthy way to eat, or have a relationship with food.

After reading It Starts With Food, I felt confident in this approach and that I understood the science behind it. I'm so excited to have a healthy relationship with food again, and have my fingers crossed I'm not very hangry the first week. I've got all my meals prepped for the week so hopefully that helps with the transition.

GL to everyone else starting today!

Today (August 18th) is my first day as well!!  I'm really looking forward to the outcome of completing this challenge.  I don't have any confirmed allergies but based on how my body has been reacting to food for quite some time, I do believe I have gluten and/or dairy intolerances.  So I'm excited to figure this out with the self experiment that comes along with this challenge.  Also, I am a huge sugar addict and need that cut out now!!

Cheers to day one and the next 29 to follow!!  I know this won't be easy but it will be worth it!!

:)

Amanda

Archived