First Time, Starting August 18th 2014

Dayleo

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH! I also bought the NomNom Paleo cook book. A M A Z I N G!!!

Yes... and Well Fed and Well Fed 2 are great as well.  I proudly wear my Nom Nom Paleo shirts (and of course my Whole9 one).

Cheers

DJ

I am starting on Aug 18 as well.  Back in July 2013, I gave up diary and gluten for 3 months no cheating. I added some diary back after the 3 months and ate gluten on Thanksgiving, Christmas and some other times.  By April, I'd lost all most 90lbs. Well, I was in my first year of teaching and became stressed out and turned back to my comfort foods and stress eating habits.  I gained 30lbs back. I know the Whole30 isn't a weigh loss plan but I know it will get me back on track.  I'm training for a Spartan Sprint so the combination of the Whole30 and the workouts will help me lose that 30 and than some. The race is Nov 15 and my birthday is around that sometime so maybe I'll do a whole90, complete my race and than celebrate my finish and my birthday with some (cheese)cake.  

I did a Mud Run (6 KM) last year and I think I may try a Spartan Sprint next year as well!  Good luck with training, the W30 and the working on that food relationship.

Cheers

DJ

Hi I too am starting today.  Well really I started last Monday last week but fell off the wagon yesterday.  My boyfriend surprised me with a hot air balloon proposal and then had a surprise engagement party.  I had some champagne and wine.  So back to day one.

My reasons for doing this is to stop focusing on food.  I own a gym and help people with their nutrition all day 6 times a week.  And being in the fitness industry, we are told "eat every 2-3 hours".  So between helping everyone with their nutrition and weight loss and then myself focusing on my eating....I was consumed with thinking about what kinds of food, when to eat, how many macros per day etc.  

I also am a stress eater and have put on a good 25 lbs due to life just happening.

So back to my reasons.... I want to have a healthy relationship with food.  I want to eat because I am hungry and not because my food alarm went off.  And whatever weight falls off....awesome!  Because I now need to go dress shopping soon.  :)

Before I started the last six days of Whole 30, I had cut out all grains and sugar 6 days a week with one cheat day a week.  I was still eating dairy daily.  So the switch to Whole30 was pretty easy minus my wine cravings.  A glass of merlot at the end of a long day was my go to.

So back on plan!  I just wanted to introduce myself and let you know I will be reading and posting for accountability. 

Hi everyone, I started my first Whole30 yesterday. I hadn't realised this thread existed, so "hello" I am 50 in 6 months time, very overweight and unfit and this Whole30 is the first stage of my journey to my authentic self. I live in England, near the border of North Wales.

Yesterday's food was amazing, my partner is not doing the Whole30, but is totally supportive and my family loved the spicy tuna cakes from Nom Nom Paleo last night. What a fab book! The avocado dressing was gorgeous too. I am trying recipes from this book on week one and then Well Fed for the second week.

TTFN Sandy x

Day two and (after a vacation of poor choices) I am not surprisingly facing a bit of fog this morning (brain fog).  Here is my planned day in a nutshell:

5:30 AM - HIIT workout from Focus T-25 series (Core Cardio) - Done

6:30 AM - Three Poached eggs, banana and a few grapes (no veggies) -  Done

12:00 PM - Small leftover steak; Salad with avacado; and leftover roasted potato (maybe an apple)

7:00 PM - Chicken legs grilled, large salad and last of the roasted potato leftovers

Mustard is a big friend to my W30 challenge.  I use it along with spices (Mrs Dash, garlic and chili powder) to season my meat (chicken, pork chops, steak, etc).  It helps give flavour and helps the dry spices (rub) stick to the meat.  If you buy 2-3 kinds of mustard, you can have different flavours that are an easy rub/marinade base (just read your labels to ensure no sugar).

Cheers

DJ

Hi I too am starting today.  Well really I started last Monday last week but fell off the wagon yesterday.  My boyfriend surprised me with a hot air balloon proposal and then had a surprise engagement party.  I had some champagne and wine.  So back to day one.

My reasons for doing this is to stop focusing on food.  I own a gym and help people with their nutrition all day 6 times a week.  And being in the fitness industry, we are told "eat every 2-3 hours".  So between helping everyone with their nutrition and weight loss and then myself focusing on my eating....I was consumed with thinking about what kinds of food, when to eat, how many macros per day etc.  

So back on plan!  I just wanted to introduce myself and let you know I will be reading and posting for accountability. 

Melissa

What kind of gym do you own.  Congrats on the engagement!  Will be nice having a fitness professional in the group.  Maybe you can whip us into shape with a virtual bootcamp? 

Sounds like a great reason to celebrate and re-start! 

Cheers

DJ

I also am a stress eater and have put on a good 25 lbs due to life just happening.

So back to my reasons.... I want to have a healthy relationship with food.  I want to eat because I am hungry and not because my food alarm went off.  And whatever weight falls off....awesome!  Because I now need to go dress shopping soon.   :)

Before I started the last six days of Whole 30, I had cut out all grains and sugar 6 days a week with one cheat day a week.  I was still eating dairy daily.  So the switch to Whole30 was pretty easy minus my wine cravings.  A glass of merlot at the end of a long day was my go to.

Day Two: I have prepped,cooked and cleaned ALOT of dishes! I guess it will take some time to get used to recipes and prepping to where I can do them much faster. I've spent last 4 days prepping for whole 30, in hopes to keep things on hand for any cravings I may end up having.

However, I feel pretty good today. Had some hash and eggs with small portion of strawberries and blueberries. I also baked up two pans of turkey-kale quiche's for a quick go-to meal.  I'll need to focus on recipes that can last for a good week and not turn gross.

I got a little light headed on Monday, but I believe it is because I didnt eat nearly as many carbs as I needed with how active I am in the morning.

I have also been a little discouraged by the volume of dishwashing. I was in the hangover stage last night and really resenting the huge mess I made for dinner. (And the turkey meatballs were not even very good, and my husband hated them.) I got out some old paper plates and styrofoam bowls I had stashed away. Tonight I'm going to keep it simple with baked sweet potatoes, chicken and steamed veggies. I'm also going to load up on those steamable bags of veggies from the freezer section. They are just too easy, and fewer pots to clean.

Mac Family, yeah that sounds like a good plan for the Steamer bags. It's just those labels get sneaky sneaky!!

Can ANyone tell me where I can get JUST a can of tuna in water W/out the Soy I keep finding in everyone at the grocery store????

Thanks everyone for the congrats!  I am even more motivated now that I have to try on wedding dresses.  :)

Djoyce - I own a franchise called Fit Body Boot Camp.  I love it!  I just found that between helping everyone with their nutrition, looking over their food journals, and then doing my own.....I was consumed.  Just eating the three meals is very refreshing.  Plus I have cut back my exercising.  Between my own workouts, demonstrating moves, my morning walks, and exercising to motivate my member, I am moving all day long.  So I was having that hard time figuring out how much and how often I should eat.  

I am bored with eggs every morning.  My boyfriend has been very supportive and every Sunday makes a huge batch of veggies.  So this morning, I heated up the veggies and threw them in the eggs.  It had brussel sprouts, broccoli, onion, mushroom, carrots, and leeks in it.  super good.

And I too am tired of being in the kitchen.  But I am sure I will find my routine.

Melissa

Hey guys! Intermittent paleo-er, first time whole30-er here.

Holy-day-2-diet-coke-withdrawal-headache!

You guys aren't kidding with the number of dishes!! I'm lucky enough that my husband usually cooks (and does the dishes...) so tackling all this myself has been a little eye opening. Sunday I shopped and cooked mustard braised chicken thighs (Practical Paleo cookbook) and rainbow chard. Last night I made sesame-marinated skirt steak and coleslaw (broccoli, carrot, red cabbage - marinated in that awesome tessemae dressing that is paleo approved!). Tonight we're trying nom nom paleo's cracklin chicken.

Can't wait for this raging headache to calm down.  Maybe by tomorrow?

Good luck everyone!

Hi! Just wanted to send a quick email to say day one is going pretty well other than the fact I had 2 eggs and veggies for breakfast and for lunch. I just bought nom nom paleo and well fed as well. Does anyone have any recommendations on recipes?

Stay strong!

Susan

Susan, I see you're from Boston! I recently moved to Massachusetts (just west of the city). I'm from South Carolina. After a stressful summer of moving, travel, and bad eating habits, I decided to try to get back on track by jumping into the W30.

Favorite recipe so far- I took the Pioneer Woman's recipe for pot roast and made a couple minor changes. It has lasted my husband and I 3 days and was a good transition into W30! http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/09/2008_the_year_of_the_pot_roast/. It's hands-down the best pot roast I've ever had.

I'm only on day 3, looking forward to this journey and sharing with you guys!

Hi All,

My name is Peggy. I started my first whole30 on Monday as well. I tried eating more paleo for a two weeks prior to my recent vacation and really liked how I was feeling. Fewer cravings and hunger pains and more steady energy. I am excited to go "all in" now with the Whole30. I could not convince my husband to join me, so that will be a challenge for sure.

I spent many hours on Sunday prepping and since my husband usually cooks for us, I find I am not very efficient at chopping/prepping in general.

I am looking forward to the support of the forums.

So far Day 1 and 2 have been ok. Definitely some temptations and cravings, but I have been strong so far. I am learning all the time about what is in and out---it is certainly eye-opening. Big work dinner tomorrow that I can't skip, so I am planning to check out the menu tonight and call the restaurant beforehand tomorrow with any questions before I arrive!

Hello! I started yesterday as well. I have been trying to do a vegan/plant-based "diet" for almost 2 years. (For health reasons). Of course, I've not been perfect and still consumed more junk than I should, BUT I haven't lost any weight (actually, I've gained a bit) and am not really feeling all that much better. It was weird eating meat again (I had some last week as well). I decided to try this for 30 days and see how it goes. I can always go back to the other if I feel it's better. 

My family doesn't eat most of what I eat (lots of veggies). So, I'm used to that, but it's nice to not have to make sure I have prepared food for them and then make sure there is also plenty for me. It wasn't always two seperate meals, but just more at each meal. 

Anyway...I am excited to see how this goes. I am on the edge of hypothyroidism. I was taking the minimum dose of meds for awhile, but not any longer. I'm using some essential oils to see if I can keep that under control. My goals? Of course, some weight loss would be awesome. Besides that, I hope to have more energy, eliminate or at least reduce migraines, and to just feel better overall. Most of the time I enjoy cooking and do 3 meals a day anyway since we homeschool. I also enjoy baking, so skipping all the bread is pretty sad. :) 

Okay, enough rambling...

Jess

Morning all from sunny England.

Day 2 went well. Breakfast was the leftover tuna cakes with fried tomato, mushroom and kale. Lunch was salad with avocado and ham, and dinner was Nom Nom Paleo's pork and spinach meatloaf which was fab. The whole family enjoyed the meatloaf with broccoli, carrots, runner beans and cauli rice and have requested the same meal again.

I also started an aqua aerobics class which was great fun

Leftover meatloaf for breakfast today. Have a great day everyone and we are all doing really well

Sandy x

Wow, lots of start date buddies this time! I guess it pays to start on a monday, last time I started mid week and hardly anyone was on the same date as me.

I finished my 1st one 3 months ago and then just kind of let things go for the summer due to constant parties/vacations/ect so I want to reset. Also I had a hard time pinpointing things in my reintro last time because I did them in the spring and kept catching colds off the kids so this time I'm going to reintro my 2 culprit foods for a week each to see how they really hit me.

Sounds like everyone is doing pretty well so far which is GREAT!

Day 3: I'm feeling good, wide awake and a good sense of energy. I baked two pans of Ground Turkey quiche with jalapeno's (we grow our own among other veggies) Kale, tomatoes and zuchini. It turned out Awesome! It's good cold or hot. I have been putting fruit in my water bottle for a hint of flavor and it has been working very well!

An office colleague brought in Wendy's for lunch yesterday and I have to say, smelling it did not trigger any cravings! Last nights dinner was chicken Curry from Well Fed. YUM! I need to try more curries, I was never a fan of the one's that were overly sweet! But this was perfect!

Hey all

Well yesterday was my first ever trip to Whole Foods.  It was interesting and (as expected) pricey (they don't have the nickname "Whole Paycheque" for nothing).  Lots of interesting stuff and the rating system for meat was a pretty cool concept (1- no crouding and crowding restrictions 2- Enriched environment; 3 - access to outdoors; 4 - pasture fed; and 5 - animal centred farming).  After all that time spent there investigating and reading labels, I had to buy some things.  I bought two pasture-raised (4) NY Striploin steaks (for $25), some orgainic cabbage, some guacamole and some dried organic mango.

I should have skipped the mango but it looked (and was) so good.  Technically, it had no off-plan ingredients but I know that there was too much natural sugar (food with no brakes) in it but it was Yummy!.  Tonight is the pasture-raised steaks with a salad and grilled Asparagus.

Dishes can be an issue.  I don't make extravagant meals every day or week even (e.g. Rogan Josh lamb or beef from Well Fed - so good) because who has time to prep, cook and clean up after a monster meal every day.  I try to keep it simple and light.  During the week, I pick out a meat (grilled on the George Foreman Grill), a veggie (beets, asparagus, big salad), and sometimes a starch (sweet potato or now other potato, squash) and make pretty simple meals.  I always make at least two portions (one for that night and the second for the following lunch).  Clean up is pretty simple.  I work and stay in Toronto during the week (on temporary assignment) and train travel back to Kingston (three hours away) for the weekend to be with my family (wife, two kids).  Weekends are more detailed (chilli cookoff, tacos, meatloaf, large batchs of food) where there is more time and more hands to help (my 9 year old daughter wants to be a chef).

Melissa - I have heard about Fit Body Boot Camp and it does look like fun.  I have done HIIT Circuit training with trainers at the gym (bodyweight, functional training / cardio) and I really enjoyed that.  It does sound like you have a busy / active schedule!

Cheers

DJ

Archived