First Time, Starting August 18th 2014

Dayleo

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Susanrenee; you may want to try a small coffee with nothing it in, since caffeine can help with those headaches. I had one yesterday, but its gone now. Just the body telling you how bad the old stuff was for you! You can do it!!

Hi aetilson, I have also struggled with disordered eating for the past ten years, and I'm scared of failing because I know what a strong hold bingeing and restricting has on me. I'll be struggling with you every step, so let me know if you'd like to email back and forth or hold each other accountable in some way. Every time I've tried the Whole30, my bad habits (and justifications for them) have started creeping in by day 3...

i would love to email back and forth - my email is [email protected].  so far day 3 is going ok.  i have definitely started to feel the intense pull of my old habits.  i am trying to quiet my old noise with that i "get" to take this opportunity to learn something about myself and correct some poor habits and improve my health at the same time.  that old noise is hard to quiet though.

i wished i would have read through this thread before last night.  i hit a bit of a wall - headache and although i shopped before i started i have not prepped properly so approaching every meal is a little daunting.  i have stayed compliant and have no desire to do otherwise but it has helped so much reading this and the getting the daily newsletter.  i have to travel over labor day weekend and am nervous about that but have been reading to try to prepare myself.  i did not curb any habits prior to day one so i am definitely feeling it now.  anyway - grateful for everyone else posting in this group.

I also started on the 18th.  I am mainly doing the whole 30 to get rid of inflamation.  I have year round allergies and I had lung and breast cancer. I am a year and a half cancer free and I want to eat healthy and stay that way. I think for me the hardest part will be the no sweetner or sugar and cooking every night. Good luck everybody. I think this forum will be a big help.

Hey all

Well I can say that the $25 for two pasture raised beef steaks (noted in my Whole Foods post from yesterday) were "fantastic" for dinner last night.  I made a salad, seasoned asperagus with garlic and EVOO, and seasoned the steaks (bit of EVOO, salt, garlic and chilli seasoning).  I put the steak and asperagus on the George Forman Grill, added EVOO and Balsamic vinegar (with Mrs Dash) to my salad, poured a large glass of water and had a great dinner.  The steak was great and I am always a fan of grilled asperagus.

I have the second steak for lunch today... Maybe I will have lunch at 10:30???

Tonight is lamb chops, the rest of the asperagus and a cabbage salad.  That sounds pretty good too!

It was all I could do to wake up at 5:15 this AM and do my workout (Focus T25 Upper Body) but I did it!  Feeling pretty good now but the first five minutes were ugly!!!

For now, enjoying my Starbucks Americano (no dairy or sweetner) and my RX bar (Apple Cinamon), and trying to get some work done!

Cheers

DJ

djoyce -- your meals sound delicious!

aetilson and Ginger 10 -- Good luck! I have allergies too and am hoping this Whole 30 helps get rid of them. I've done a Whole 30 before and remember they got a little worse for the first week and then got better.  

My first whole 30 I constantly craved pizza and chocolate. this time I'm just craving chocolate so it's a step up! I'm not physically hungry this time either. I just really really want a dairy milk bar. I am doing this so I can redo my reintros. This time I want to test dairy for an entire week or two, reset and then test gluten for a week or so as well. I know I'm fine with legumes/non gluten grains already.

Day 4 here in the pacific Northwest! I did a whole 30 last fall and felt like a million bucks at the end...summer has been full of too many celebrations filled with sugar,carbs and lots of wine....I did learn last time to take it easy on exercise the first two weeks....I can't wait till weeks 3 and 4 where I slept like a baby last time.....also hope to do reintroduction correctly which I did not do the first time due to a hiking event...love when people post awesome recipes and links...I will try and do the same...

Oh and just a tip.. don't go to costco during 'peak sample hours'. It was like walking through a minefield! Where I live they shut down the sample tables around 6 pm so going at 7 pm (or before 11 am) means you can just buy your food and go home!

Im already getting bored.  I need to be creative.  I just dont have the time.  Fortunately my boyfriend bbqs me a huge tri tip every sunday so I always have that as a go to.  He also makes a huge stir fry of brussell sprouts, asparagus, carrots, mushrooms, squash, bell peppers, and broccoli.  Its so good.  I eat it with every meal.  My meals pretty much consist of 3 eggs in the am with 1 cup of my veggie stir fry thrown in, lunch is leftover steak or chicken with the stir fry veggies over sweet potato, and dinner is some protein with grilled veggies.  I do have a piece of fruit with lunch and a small handful of cashews.  I just dont have time to prepare.  I wake up every morning at 3:45 and leave the house to beat the Bay Area traffic at 5:00am.  I dont get home until 7:30 in the evening.  I am exhausted.  I eat what my boyfriend has prepped for me then off to bed.  I would be a lot worse without Gary helping!  

So what would yall suggest?  I see you like the nom nom book.  Whole foods is just two blocks from me and they have it there.  Can you double or triple the recipes to make the meals last longer? 

Melissa

I usually double the cooking in order to have leftovers. What really works for me is making two pans of Ground Turkey and veggie quiche. ITs very filling with only 2-3 slices and it's good cold or hot. tonight I'm cooking up about 40 wings (marinating now in my fridge using teh Nom Nom Blog 'damn fine chicken' recipe. I had to improvise for not having all the ingredients). That way I have plenty of drumsticks ready to eat. For your eggs, you can spruce them up by making them deviled eggs with bacon, proscuitto or avacodo style mixes. I love my Nom Nom book. I do my bulk cooking on the weekends. STAY WITH IT!

Hey Melissa -- what does your collection of spices/sauces look like? I think you could turn what your boyfriend is making into a lot of different dishes using various spices and sauces. For example, you could turn steak/beef/chicken + the veggies + cashews into a chinese dish with coconut aminos {they sell them at Whole Foods in the Asian cooking aisle.} Hot sauce + chicken + ghee or coconut oil can make an awesome, and EASY, buffalo chicken dish. 

And you can definitely double the recipes and freeze them! If you can, I would recommend ordering the Well Fed 2 book from Amazon. There are a ton of easy, delicious recipes in there that uses a lot of stuff you probably already have!

Happy Friday everyone! First week is almost done! :-)

How is everyone doing? I was feeling pretty good until today. I have been tired and cranky all day---but wasn't sure if it was the whole30 or just because it was a Friday of a busy week. I have concluded I am now officially in Kill All Things mode. Other symptoms include some minor digestive distress, and a small, weird rash on my leg.

Tonight I had to attend a dinner and after carefully explaining to the waitress that I wanted plain salmon and plain veggies, I got a nice piece of plain salmon sitting on top of veggies that looked like they had been cooked in butter. argh!!! Since I was starving and tired of dealing with the waitress I just ate the top of the salmon, carefully leaving the underside sitting on the butter vegetables untouched. Luckily I had already eaten a garden salad with Olive oil and balsamic, so I was able to get my veggies and some additional fat in that way.

This weekend is planned to be low key, since days 6-7 are when the exhaustion sets in according to the timeline, Sunday is back to the cooking!! I am now off to bed before I do actually kill anything.

Peggy

Archived