First Time, Starting August 18th 2014

Dayleo

Hi All. Hope everyone is doing good! The weekend was a bit rough, I had a dull headache the whole time. It went away on Sunday after I got done with yard work. I was DYING to have a glass of wine all weekend, but did not. Instead, I put some komboucha w/seltzer in a wine glass and relaxed while watching tv. Prep and cooking took me Saturday AND Sunday, so I didnt get much rest from that. But all our food is ready for this week.

Time2Change, Thanks for the heads up about the timeline! I'll give that a looksee.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all... Doing well here myself.  I was home for the weekend and we had a good time.  Only thing was my dinner on Sunday was a surprise.  Every night I typically make a salad (lettuce or cabbage base, veggies, EVOO, Balsamic, Ms. Dash) and every night I offer it to my family.  Sometimes my wife has some but gernally not.  My kids always say a polite "no thank you".  Last night I was going to have W30 compliaint saussage (4) and a cole slaw salad.  I offered some salad like always and my son said "sure", grabbed my big bowl of cole slaw and ate the whole thing.  My son is 11.

I let him have it and I grabbed some lose veggies and nuts.  No biggie but it was interesting.

Back in Toronto now and I am making chilli (ground chicken) tonight!

Cheers

DJ

Day 9. I have been sleeping much more soundly, so thats a plus. Sure, I wake up a little groggy, but nothing too severe. Doc says my thyroid is looking good with the lowest dose of meds and my diet, so thats good. I do have more energy through out the day, however I do hit a wall of sleepiness right around 1 and 2 pm. Anyone else getting that??

I made it thru a weekend of city events and did as well as I could...I make the best choices in restaurants and then don't beat myself up....home yesterday,awful day at work....just dragged after work ,home and to bed at 8:30...feel great today....My go to dinner when I have no energy and a husband and son expecting food is simply burgers.....I wrap mine in huge romaine and have the tom/onion/pineapple and I have compliant ketchup and mayo fromTessama.....easy,no cooking for me...husband mans the barbecue....I also throw a couple sweet potatoes in the oven and then use them later for egg hash or just zap them and put ghee and spices on if I'm super hungry...

I'm sleeping like the dead but I'm ready for some afternoon energy.....

Hey all

Well it is Thursday and day 11.  I have got to say that today is the first day I have truely felt fantastic.  I did my workout this AM, I am feeling good and rolling along 100% on plan.  I had a breakfast of 3 poached eggs, some sweet potato mash and a small banana.  I am having a bunless burger with sweet potato and cole slaw for lunch.  Dinner will be a T-bone steak and a salad. 

Sound like a good day to me.  Maybe it is just the beautiful weather outside today but everything seems good.  Keep on doing your thing and know that as we put the second week of the 30 days in the books, we are well along in making positive changes and patterns.

Cheers

DJ

HELP!!   Day 11, im getting terrible cravings for a cheeseburger! I tried eating breakfast, and didnt feel hungry. Ate lunch, and it took everything to stomach my Cod fish with brussels sprouts! Chewing on carrot sticks now. Also feeling groggy after getting 9 hours of sleep (probably too much). But the dreams of cheating on my diet are super strong too, really wierd! I wake up all guilty like I actually broke my diet!

HELP!!   Day 11, im getting terrible cravings for a cheeseburger! I tried eating breakfast, and didnt feel hungry. Ate lunch, and it took everything to stomach my Cod fish with brussels sprouts! Chewing on carrot sticks now. Also feeling groggy after getting 9 hours of sleep (probably too much). But the dreams of cheating on my diet are super strong too, really wierd! I wake up all guilty like I actually broke my diet!

Hahahha omg I keep having cheating-on-my-diet dreams too!!  Like, face in a bag of cheetos kind of cheating!! I've had a few and they seem sooooo real!  I do wake up and have to think really hard to realize it's just a dream and I didn't actually do anything wrong.  Hopefully those will disappear soon!

As for the cravings for a cheesburger, I can only suggest trying your hardest not to think about the craving.  The more you think about it, the more you want it.  Find other ways to take your mind off of it.  And try making something a bit more enjoyable than plain cod and brussel sprouts.  Make a fun new recipe!!  Something with a lot of seasoning.  Maybe even have a burger (sans the bun and cheese of course).  Power through, you will be super proud of yourself for doing so!!  I walk by a bowl of candy everyday at work (I'm a recovering sugar addict), and every successful no-hands-in-the-candy-jar, I feel stronger and stronger.  It's like a game.  I enjoy winning every time!  Just some thoughts!  Keep up the good work and power through! Almost half way there :)

Ok, I successfully powered through my cheeseburger craving. Got home and made an AWESOME ground beef curry with fresh peppers and coconut milk over cauliflower rice (first time cooking and loooooved it!). So I'm all good now.

QUESTION; I have to take my thyroid meds first thing when I wake up, which is about 5am cause I go to the gym in the mornings. The book says to eat something before a work out, but I can't eat anything for up to an 1 1/2 after taking that pill. I cant take it AFTER my work out, cause then I can't eat anything for awhile and I usually leave for work by 7:30 and ravenous after a work out. Should I just take the pill early, do my work out and eat as soon as I get home?

Dayleo -- I would take the pill and do your workout, but maybe just make sure to have an extra big dinner and be mindful of how you're feeling when you're working out. If you feel lightheaded at all, then I would cut the workout short for that day. Also, I would bring a mini protein snack to the gym or in your car to eat as soon as you are done with the workout {if that works with the time schedule for the pill}, and then eat a big breakfast when at home. 

Dayleo

I workout 5-6 times per week and I don't use any pre-workout  I wake up, get changed, put water on my face and start my workout.  As such, I don't follow the W30 advice on pre-workout extra meals.  I don't do so well with eating before a workout and never have any interest/success doing. As such, I am still three squares but I allow myself a snack (mid morning) on days when I workout... If I feel I need it (typically some nuts (almonds/pistachios) and a few grapes or maybe a RXBar).

Cheers

Thanks Djoyce, that's what Im going to do. I work out better without food. I can't eat that many meals, too much for me. Though the mid morning snack is what I do usually, a banana for potassium since my legs are always tight.

Day 15, haven't run in to any major problems (except for days 3-5 when I was in a baaaad mood). Had to adjust my serving sizes a bit since I got really hungry between meals and I rather not snack. Quite sure this is because I work out a lot harder than I did during my last Whole 30 so I'm not really worried about it.

However...the food dreams have started. I'm dreaming about fudge, ice cream, banana cream pie, salted caramel, dark chocolate (actually all in Paleo form, but still). I don't really want it when I wake up, but during the night...well, that's another story :)

Day 15 here also...feeling better and better....more afternoon energy and back to the amazing sleep without hot flashes!!!Plan on cooking more this week..have relied on lots of quick standbys so far....also plan on upping exercise this week because I know the energy will start really flowing again....love to hear some great recipes...

I get most of my recipes from Well Fed 1&2, as well as Nom nom Paleo and The Paleo kitchen (tweaking the recipes to fit the Whole 30 rules when needed). My go-to breakfast are one of these, with some fennel slaw, pico de gallo and salad: http://www.primalpalate.com/paleo-recipe/egg-custards/
and for Saturday and Sunday breakfast I usually make this hash, together with some salad and a fried egg or two: http://urbanposer.blogspot.se/2012/01/apple-butternut-squash-bacon-breakfast.html

Hey all...

Doing well here.  I am on day 16 and feeling good.  I was tempted to weigh myself when I was home this weekend but resisted.  It is interesting how kids can be the best or enablers too.  The family was out on Saturday (afternoon at the beach, restruant and mini-put) as a last summer memory before school started today.  We had a good time but on the way home, we stopped for a pee break and the kids came in to buy candy.  On the way home, I could smell my daughter's "bottlecaps" and was minirly tempted but no big deal.

She only ate maybe 4-5 of them and left the rest of the roll on the front foyer roll top desk.  I have to admit, I stopped and stared at them more than a few times.  However, last night we made homemade burgers, smashed mini potato and cole slaw.  I asked her if she wanted butter in her potatoes and she gave a sheepish "no" ... "Because she wanted me to be able to eat them too".  I assured her that we could take some out and smash mine with EVOO, salt and pepper leaving hers to be butter, salt and pepper.   It is so great to have my 9 year old willing to set aside butter on her potatoes to factor in how I am eating!!!

Feeling pretty good today, got some good sleep on the weekend and, of course, this is a short week!!!

Keep going strong!

Cheers

DJ

Day 16 now. been feeling groggy in the mornings, but sleeping well. Think I need to up my game in workouts more frequently (REALLY hard to get outta bed in the AM). I worked all weekend and labor day, so didnt have a lot of temptations except when I worked at my occasional part time job, Wine bar. I could smell the wine from a few feet away! I've come to realize I don't need alcohol, but I do enjoy it, the taste and the smells. Got a wedding coming up next weekend. I had to grill the bride (my good friend) to see if there would be anything there I could eat. Of course I'm not drinking, so I am planning on sneaking in some Komboocha so it at least looks like I have a drink and ppl dont ask.

Sunday, my only day off, I spent the better part of my day trying to find compliant Bacon! Wegman's did not have it. Went allllll the way to Whole foods, a 30 minute drive, found it there. But could not, and still have not for the life of me found Tessamae's or Red Boat fish sauces! A lil frustrated. My husband, who has been trying to follow the plan with me, has had his break and had 'real food' while I working so he wouldnt be shuving it in my face. However, he still enjoys his home brewed beer in front of me. It's difficulat, but I must say, I haven't had overwhelming cravings.

Day 17 finished and I've been feeling great since about day 5. I've kind of just been doing this one one day at a time- I tell myself I can stop any time I want but I have to do 'one more day' first if I decide to. And one more day just keeps turning into one more day and now I'm more than half done.

Hi All,

Last week I was very proud of myself as I made it through a 4 day work trip and some 6 hour plane rides, while staying compliant. It was tough, but I did alot of planning ahead, brought some food from home to help me through and felt great when I got back that I had done it!

This week has been tougher. I keep waiting for the Tiger Blood to kick-in, as I have been very very tired.  I also am not getting the recommended 8-9 hours a sleep a night though--I am averaging between 6 & 7. I need to improve on that. 

Also, I still have sweet cravings particularly after dinner. So far I have resisted eating fruit to feed the craving. 

Overall though I do feel my energy is not as spiky and my clothes are fitting better. I am going to power through to the end.

We are getting there!!

-Peggy

Day 18....still going.

Feel the same as you, Peggy. I've been very tired, but averaging 6-7 hours sleep (which is my more than my usual amount). I'm still getting the sweet cravings after dinner.  

Eating a proper cooked breakfast everyday which I've never done in my life. It's very strange!!

A few folk have commented on how well I look, which is nice, and I'm determined to see this out till the end!

Hey all

Well I have been feeling great this past week or so and full of energy until today... I ate out (with a friend) and I chose the resturant, ordered a meal (1/2 chicken roasted with salad and EVOO/Balsamic) and water.  I am totally wiped out today!!!  I feel like I could curl up in the corner of my office and sleep for 4 hours (wonder if anyone would notice???).

This too will pass.  After a week of feeling fantastic, I will take a day of dragging my butt around anytime.  I still did manage to get out of bed this AM and bang out my workout (Focus T25 - Dynamic Abs).  As always, it feels good to wake up and get going with a workout.

Keep doing your thing!  I have not planned out the end game this time but I am (for now) not putting a cap (30, 45, 60) on this thing.  Hmmmm? Could I do this until Christmas?  What a gift to myself that would be?

Cheers

Day 18 and I easily passed up a major temptation (more on that in a minute). This is getting a little easier every day. I've had pretty good energy for the past week now and I see myself going for longer than 30 days, not because I think I need to beat the cravings or temptation, but because now that I really feel great and I'm frankly a little afraid to add anything back in, lest I stop feeling so good. Because 30 days falls in the middle of the week I'll likely go at least 35 and then probably try to re-intro a few things over the following month, but I already know there are some items that are never coming back (like gluten).

It was my boss's birthday today and I was in charge of making her cake. And boy oh boy did I make a pretty sweet one.

Chocolate cake, chocolate cream cheese icing, and lots of chocolate on top. I could have cared less about the cake batter, but it was hard making the icing and not tasting (so I threw the beaters, spatula etc in water as soon as I was done with them, no time for temptation) but honestly I didn't want a piece that badly because I knew how it would make me feel. My coworkers were amazed at my dedication to my "diet", but it was easy really, because this isn't a diet it's a lifestyle change.

Hope day 18 is going well for everyone else!

Not to be a downer but has anyone not experienced anything?  I too am on day 19.  I havent experienced any difference!  I was eating pretty paleo the whole month prior minus some wine nights and dairy.  So when I started the Whole30 the only thing I had to cut out was dairy and the wine.  I have weighed myself ( I know you arent supposed to) but I am a gym owner and before Whole30 I am doing a challenge with my members.  And the weight loss has not been drastic like I thought.  It's really going at the pace I was before the Whole30.  

Sorry for venting.  Just getting frustrated.  I am waiting for that ah ha moment!

Archived