Best Time of Day for Fruit

swainy_26

Hi all,

So I am currently on Day 12 and loving it but have suddenly developed a desire to eat a lot more fruit, espicially after dinner where I am usually not someone who eats after dinner. I was just wondering if one of the advanced members could take a look at my average meal plan and tell me where would be the best place to supplement my fruit...

5am Wake Up - Boiled Egg

6am Workout

7am Post Workout - Approx. 50g skinless chicken breast

745am Breakfast - 2 eggs, baby spinach, rocket, tomato, maybe some sweet potato, mushrooms, onion and a banana

12pm Lunch - Palm sized portion of meat (usually leftovers) with variet of vegetables (beans, brocolli, cauliflower, spinach, pumpkin, sweet potato - what ever is left over) and usually some strawberries or an oragne.

630/7pm Dinner - Same as lunch minus the fruits however as stated I have been craving some banana & strawberries after dinner sometimes too - not sure if I am actually hungry or not or if I am just looking for something sweet?

Any help or advice would be appreciated...

What kinds of fat are you eating with every meal?

Ooop sorry I add about 1/4 avocado to my breakfast and if I am having salad at lunch or dinner I have 1/4 avocado with that - now I think of it I am not sure what fat I am adding to my lunch/dinner when I am having meat & veg ? Other than the fact the meat is cooked in EVOO???

I've noticed one piece of advice repeated when people are struggling with hunger/cravings (including fruit, which while on-plan can feed the Sugar Dragon & be a slippery slope to doom for some of us): make sure you are getting enough Fat at each meal.

I do hope one of the more seasoned experts or Mods will chime in for both of us.

I've noticed one piece of advice repeated when people are struggling with hunger/cravings (including fruit, which while on-plan can feed the Sugar Dragon & be a slippery slope to doom for some of us): make sure you are getting enough Fat at each meal.

I do hope one of the more seasoned experts or Mods will chime in for both of us.

Hi Mammakitty,

Yes now trying to think of ways to get more good fats in - I have my 1/4 Avocado at breakfast and sometimes I might use coconut cream in dinners/lunches if I am making a curry but otherwise I don't think I am having enough.

Any tips on adding it in? I have bought some almonds to have with my strawberries at lunch time today as I already had some of them at home so thought they might help with the good fat intake?

• Moderators

Per the meal template, a serving of avocado is 1/2 to 1 whole avocado. Start with that. Almonds are a fat source, but nuts in general should be used sparingly -- some people find they have digestive issues when eating them, and most people find they're a food with no brakes -- something that it's hard to eat just one serving of and then walk away.

There are lots of threads that discuss adding more fat to meals. Here's one, or just google Whole30 adding fat and you should get a lot of others.

Mayonnaise is by far my favorite fat source, and I've always had good luck using this immersion blender method to make it, although there are lots of other recipes around that I'm sure are just as good. It's very versatile, you can thin it down with some vinegar and add some spices to make a ranch-type creamy salad dressing. You can slather it on chicken breast before you bake it. It's great as is to dip veggies in. You can make chicken or tuna or egg salad with it.

Per the meal template, a serving of avocado is 1/2 to 1 whole avocado. Start with that. Almonds are a fat source, but nuts in general should be used sparingly -- some people find they have digestive issues when eating them, and most people find they're a food with no brakes -- something that it's hard to eat just one serving of and then walk away.

There are lots of threads that discuss adding more fat to meals. Here's one, or just google Whole30 adding fat and you should get a lot of others.

Mayonnaise is by far my favorite fat source, and I've always had good luck using this immersion blender method to make it, although there are lots of other recipes around that I'm sure are just as good. It's very versatile, you can thin it down with some vinegar and add some spices to make a ranch-type creamy salad dressing. You can slather it on chicken breast before you bake it. It's great as is to dip veggies in. You can make chicken or tuna or egg salad with it.

Hi Shannon,

Thanks so much for that!! I forgot to refer back to the Meal Template and from that I am thinking I am not eating enough! My serving of almonds is usally only 6 - definetly not a handful and as I said only having a 1/4 of an avocado...might try adding olives or some coconut flakes.

I will work on making my meals more compliant with the template in the future :D Thanks so much!

Guest PaleoViki

Thanks so much for this!  I have been eating all wrong before and after my workouts.

This is most likely why I am not dropping any weight.  Dang it!!!!!!  I am on day 10.  I have tried not to be frustrated by not dropping weight but I fell like I am "killing myself" with watching very carefully what I eat and keeping up with my P-90X 6 days a week. 

Hopefully this will be the thing to get me moving the FAT off my body.  :)

Guest PaleoViki

So I ate a little burger before my workout at 5:00 a.m. this morning and then ate 3 Eggs and about 1 cup of sweet potato after my workout.  Then I can't eat until lunch because I go to work from 8 - 5.  But it's 11:41 and I am just starting to get hungry so that seems to work.  Should I eat another "meal/breakfast in there somewhere?  V

So I ate a little burger before my workout at 5:00 a.m. this morning and then ate 3 Eggs and about 1 cup of sweet potato after my workout.  Then I can't eat until lunch because I go to work from 8 - 5.  But it's 11:41 and I am just starting to get hungry so that seems to work.  Should I eat another "meal/breakfast in there somewhere?  V

You don't want to have fat in your post workout meal because it delays digestion and you want that protein to get gobbled up by your muscles quickly. Do a palm serving of lean protein like chicken or egg whites instead with your sweet potato and then have a normal first meal an hour later. 

Thanks so much for this!  I have been eating all wrong before and after my workouts.

This is most likely why I am not dropping any weight.  Dang it!!!!!!  I am on day 10.  I have tried not to be frustrated by not dropping weight but I fell like I am "killing myself" with watching very carefully what I eat and keeping up with my P-90X 6 days a week. 

Hopefully this will be the thing to get me moving the FAT off my body.  :)

1)  You are not supposed to be weighing yourself on a Whole 30.  Put that scale away!  A large part of this program is having a new relationship with food AND with your body.  Please -- think about how you are feeling.  And how your clothes are fitting.  But most importantly -- how are you feeling?

2)  If you are not eating enough and expecting your body to keep up with P90X 6 days per week........ please trust me when I say that this could so, so backfire.  :(   I would highly recommend keeping a food log here (if you aren't already), where people can give you tips, suggestions -- or if everything looks great, then just encouragement and support.  

Guest PaleoViki

Thanks Physibeth for your help!

Thanks Brewer5.  Dang it, I have been caught.  I am addicted to my scale.  I will have to give it to my husband to hide because I have no self control when it is in the bathroom and I can see it.  Okay, I am a big girl,  I will move it and I will not use it until September 4th.  Ouch!

Thanks very much!  Vickie

You don't want to have fat in your post workout meal because it delays digestion and you want that protein to get gobbled up by your muscles quickly. Do a palm serving of lean protein like chicken or egg whites instead with your sweet potato and then have a normal first meal an hour later. 

Thanks for the great tip, Physibeth.  I've never heard of that before.

You don't want to have fat in your post workout meal

I asked you a good fat question up above...thanking you in advance.

Physibeth...should you eat a good fat before a hike, walk, workout, etc?

If so, how much avocado, etc should you have?

I use Macadamia Nut oil for cooking.

If you are doing your workout first thing in the morning before meal 1 than you most definitely need some protein and fat as a pre-workout meal so you have food in your body within an hour of waking. If your hike, walk, workout falls between meals you may or may not need it. For me it depends on how long it has been since my previous meal. If I think I won't make it through the workout without getting ravenous than I try to eat some protein and fat about 45 minutes before my workout. Pre-workout food doesn't need to be a lot. 1-2 hard boiled eggs or a handful of nuts are good options. What you want to avoid in the hour or so before your workout is starchy vegetables and fruit so you are not fueling your workout with readily available sugars.

Archived