Starting on 1st September

Pedro Pinto

Thanks Angelina! I know better than to throw out the entire plan based off of one cheat. However, looking towards a post Whole 30 lifestyle, I can see having the once a week cheat meal to stay on track but keep everything else mostly Whole 30-ish. And even when my husband was having clam chowder (in a bread bowl mind you), I knew cheating on cream laden chowder would probably give me stomach pain so I've had no desire for anything dairy. I'm allergic to sulfites so I already have to watch out for dried fruits and wine before I started W30.

The food dreams are interesting though, eh? I dreamed I was running across the lawn with a plate of birthday cake in my hands. As one would do on a normal day.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All,

Happy Monday.  This is the second time I started writing a long response and then accidentally went off the page and lost it.  Oh well!  But to quickly recap - my weekend was both easier and harder in some ways.  It was easier for me watching other enjoy cocktails while I drank water...something that was harder the first few weeks.  But I did overdo it Friday night with my homemade larabars.  Instead of feeling guilty on Saturday I decided to make the rest of my weekend a good one.  I brought leftovers out with me on Sunday so I could avoid 'take out' with family.  I was happy that I didn't waste money on food I didn't need and not wasting food I had.  Still a lil aggravating to work around a family function where I wasn't eating what they were doing but I did my best to ignore and move on. 

As we approach the last week I'm thinking I need to extend this into 45 or 60 days.  Some days I'm feeling great (energy, no bloating, cheery) while other days I want to spend them in my pjs away from everyone and everything.  I think for me it's going to take some more time to full adjust my mind and body.  I also really wanted to simplify 'food' in hopes of keeping myself on the paleo track this time around.  I have a horrible habit of over-complicating meals and selecting five new time-consuming dishes for dinner every week.  It's not just a perfection thing...I think I just get so distracted by all the wonderful recipes out there and I genuinely love to cook.  I told myself last week that this one I would scale it all back.  Yet I let myself get caught up again - spending way too much time, money and energy on meal planning.  Then I am consumed by cooking, cleaning, shopping and planning.  I'm happy while I'm doing it but I know realistically I can only live this life if I cut out everything else.  In the real world I can only keep this act up so long.  Then one day I reach for a snickers as my lunch and revel in how easy processed food can be.  I was listening to a recent 'Balanced Bite' podcast where they explained that not every meal has to be glamorous and exciting.  #thisishowireallyeat   I need to find a middle ground...hence, I need more time.  And I need to get that journal a going (thanks Angelina for sharing).  

Footy-Chic - I wanted to let you know that I had a very similar experience my last W30.  I was about 3 weeks in, all fine and well, when I took a slice of pie being passed around during the holiday and ate it.  I didn't think about it...I just took it and started eating.  And just as you described...it wasn't what I thought it would be and I didn't even finish it.  I guess that was the point where our brains checked into the situation.  I didn't feel guilt about it but played the mindless experience off as a test.  I stayed on the plan and prevailed.  Now it's a moment I use to look back on and remind me that the pie wasn't even that good.  It gives me a reason to pause and think about a decision.  It sounds like you're not beating yourself up over this and that's great.  I think this program is great but it's not the end-all be-all.  You have to find out what works for you and what's worth the belly ache  ;)   

I feel great on day 22!  So much control over my hunger-- I still get hungry, but it is a different feeling than the low blood sugar crash.  So many eggs and salads with grilled chicken chunks. Thanks Perdue.  Bad chicken hormones not withstanding.

I haven't needed my hay fever Allegra pills yet this season.  Either the W30 has something to do with it or the ragweed hasn't bloomed yet. We'll see.

Keep it up!

Just checking in....... week 3, home stretch everyone!

Feeling great, I have been really busy and not much time to even think about food. The weekends I usually cook up a storm and then stuff my fridge full of stuff and during the week, I just grab all the healthy items that I made each weekend. My husband who usually does most of the cooking has begun to cook 'Whole30" but he can hardly wait till I am done.

Good luck to everyone if the final stretch, it can be the hardest but the finish line is near! :D

Great going everyone!  I'm happy to report a complete LACK OF JOINT PAIN FOR THE PAST 3 DAYS!!!  I have not felt like this for over 15 years.  My mood, energy level, posture, activity level is vastly improved and I see a much happier future for myself!  Funny but it took me a day or two to "notice" the pain was gone.  Celebrex only took the edge off my joint pain, it never made me relatively pain free. My activities were still restricted and pain has been an everyday factor in my life.  

I hope eventually I can get off Celebrex but I'll look to my doctor for help with that.  I am also going to extend another 60 or more before I even approach my doctor.  I want to get to the maximum recovery and healing before I add back much.  The only thing I'd really like to add back is some kind of sweetener for my cup of tea.  I'll keep the coconut milk but I hardly ever drink tea now because I really don't like it without sweetener.  I'm going to post the sweetener question separately.  But if anyone knows what the least offensive sweetener is in Whole30 terms, please speak up!

Great going everyone!  I'm happy to report a complete LACK OF JOINT PAIN FOR THE PAST 3 DAYS!!!  I have not felt like this for over 15 years.  My mood, energy level, posture, activity level is vastly improved and I see a much happier future for myself!  Funny but it took me a day or two to "notice" the pain was gone.  Celebrex only took the edge off my joint pain, it never made me relatively pain free. My activities were still restricted and pain has been an everyday factor in my life.  

I hope eventually I can get off Celebrex but I'll look to my doctor for help with that.  I am also going to extend another 60 or more before I even approach my doctor.  I want to get to the maximum recovery and healing before I add back much.  The only thing I'd really like to add back is some kind of sweetener for my cup of tea.  I'll keep the coconut milk but I hardly ever drink tea now because I really don't like it without sweetener.  I'm going to post the sweetener question separately.  But if anyone knows what the least offensive sweetener is in Whole30 terms, please speak up!

First off - congrats on feeling so great!  That's amazing that you've managed your pain and created a happier you  :D

I had a hard time with tea...it's always tasted like warm water to me, lol.  Never quite understood how or why so many people love it.  But I have finally taken a liking to it during this W30.  I found that getting a quality brand and good blend is important.  I really like the Yogi brand but you have to be careful and read the ingredients.  Some of them are sweetened with stevia leaf which is a not complaint.  I also noticed last night the Yogi Stomach Ease has barley malt in it : /  

The two Yogi teas I've been enjoying most are Green Kombucha and Roasted Dandelion Spice - both great for cleansing.  There are no sweeteners that are allowed in terms of a Whole30 but you might find (like I did) that certain herbs and blends are more flavorful.  Things with licorice root tend to be 'sweet'.  I really like Tazo's passion tea and they state on their page that "Licorice root’s botanical name comes from the Greek words meaning "sweet root."  I also really enjoy a spicy rooibos filled with cinnamon etc.  For me, bold blends are great.  

One final note - I was initially trying to chase a sugar dragon in finding a 'good' tea that I didn't have to load with honey.  Be careful because it's a slippery slope.  I make sure I don't drink the 'sweeter' teas a lot because for me they tend to draw out the bad old responses...like wanting to pour honey all over everything.  It's tough but you have to examine the real meaning behind everything.  On my last W30 I was drowning my coffee in coconut cream.  This time I'm drinking it black with a big scoop of coconut oil.  Replace that need for sugar with fat!  I know my response kinda of goes back against itself but hopefully it still helps  :P

Hi Everyone,

It's the last Friday for most of us which might be exciting for some and maybe scary for others.  I'm feeling pretty good at day 26 but I made a promise to myself earlier this week that I'd extend this 'challenge' into 45 or 60 days.  I should just say 60 because that's what it needs to be...I was trying to ease my mind into it at first, lol.  

My stomach could definitely use more time to sort things out.  I'm still working on the emotional aspects of food as well.  I'm enjoying the food I eat and haven't had many cravings.  But I also love to bake and still can't read a blog/recipe without drooling.  I know that's a clear sign so I'm just avoiding the idea of baking all together at this point.  Last night, I had a fig and pork ragout and it was actually too sweet for my taste buds.  My body seems to know what's best but my brain is still trying to catch up.  

I know I will always need to work on my sugar addiction but I don't want to fall on and off a wagon so to speak.  I really want to achieve some balance in life where I can make the majority of my food decisions to be healthy ones.  And when I do want to indulge in something 'not healthy' I can do it and then return from it; not fall victim to it.  I think the key for me is to stay connected and supported.  I realized that this time around that the forum is a huge help to me.  Thank you!

Good luck to everyone on the rest of their journey.  I know it doesn't end after Tuesday.  Hopefully it's been a learning experience in more ways than one.  

Hang in there this weekend...  almost there.

I am really in a groove, and feel slimmed down to my target, but I want to keep going.  Last time I finished the whole Whole thing, I ate birthday cake on my daughter's 11 birthday, and it kinda tasted unappetizing-- but its cake, so I ate a lot.  Hopefully this time I can keep on resisting the too sweet, cloying foods. 

Kate, would you get any satisfaction out of baking gifts for others?  It might be a way to enjoy the creative challenge side of baking along with those heavenly scents without destroying your hard work on the Whole30.  If you bake for occasions at work, in the family, social events, etc. you could still have a sliver and leave the rest at the office or party.  I know I can't bake unless it has someone else's name on it and it's leaving my sight.

Hi everyone,

Great to read your stories, sounds like everyone is seeing out these last few days with enthusiasm and a little trepidation!

We're going well, and are thinking of extending it to a Whole45, just to give our bodies that extra bit of healing. 

Nowiswhen, that it so so great that your pain disappeared for a while, and I hope it is continuing for you. Last Friday my middle finger started swelling again, and Saturday morning it was really sensitive, but by Saturday night it was fine again! I haven't had the flu-like aches'n'pains in my joints since the first week, which is amazing. I still have all my lower-back, sacroiliac joint stuff going on, but I feel that now I am able to isolate the sistemic inflammation/auto immunity situation from the postural/structural issues, when before it was impossible to separate them because it was all happeing together and everything was confused. 

We went to Gino's for dinner last Friday. The food we ordered was Whole30 compliant - mixed salad, grilled galletto (male chook) and pork ribs - but that night Fiorenzo got up to take the acid reflux pill. He was so disappointed because he hadn't had the need since Day 12. But that passed and he's stopped with them again. We don't know what triggered it. Maybe just because Gino adds more salt than we ever would at home, who knows?

Kate, I can so relate to you with regards to the baking. It's the only thing I really miss, and the program has woken me up to how much I love a sweet treat every now and again. I think Nowiswhen's advice about baking for others is brilliant! It's so much about being able to indulge every now and again, but to not let the Sugar Dragon get control again. And to also to experiment with different, Paleo-compliant ingredients when we are off-roading. I found a Stevia plant at the plant nursery the other day! I bought it and planted it and will harvest and dry the leaves before the first frost, and I'm really curious to see if I can use it instead of Stevia drops or powder. I bought Elana Amsterdams 'Paleo Cooking from Elana's Pantry' just before starting the Whole30 - she has such wonderful ideas using almond flour, and coconut milk, and cocnut flour - and this is how I plan to explore adding, just every now and again, a little baked something into our lives.

Fiorenzo doesn't miss sweet at all - he's known since he was a kid that it gave him acid. But every now and again he misses a good, cold beer when he gets home from work. What neither of us have missed, and we thought we would, is dairy - cheese in particular. We realised yesterday that we hadn't even given it a thought since we started the Whole30!

Best wishes, everyone! Hang in there!

A

So close!  

My appetite pattern is so changed.  Went on two short-ish bike rides this weekend... I can really feel the steady energy level of the W30 diet, but didn't have any zip in my legs either. The blood sugar feeling now -- no peaks, no crashes-- is still a bit strange.

I haven't taken an Allegray all hayfever season.  I can't remember a September without it. And no sneezy fits.

My family is tolerating me, and I am trying to keep quiet about my diet-experiment.  I have two big bike rides next weekend and I need to go fast, so I will break on Wednesday, carb up (I can only eat so many sweet potatoes and beans) and get back on next Monday.  Hopefully I can ride it out to November 4.

I am guessing I am down 6-8 lbs.  I'll find out Wednesday.

Keep it up!!!

Hi Everyone!

Day 30 is here!  I hope everyone is doing well.  I just posted a thread about my 'Whole 60' because I was wondering who else is extending the challenge.  I definitely need more time to sort things out.  I have to admit there is something relieving about not having to figure out 'life after W30' yet.  I'm not frightened by it but I do feel like I'm in the groove as demos88 mentioned.  I finally simplified the meal planning process for myself this week.  I definitely need to take that further if I want to stay on track.

Angelina, that stinks your husband had trouble with the food while eating out.  I've noticed that going to parties isn't hard for me because I just eat beforehand or bring a compliant dish.  But restaurant eating isn't worth it for me.  My husband was dying for a SAD breakfast this weekend so we went to a local pancake house.  I ordered a veggie omelet and a fresh fruit salad.  My husband ate the world and went into a terrible food coma for the rest of the day...not surprising.  I didn't feel sick but my stomach could tell the difference between their omelet and mine.  I have to say it was refreshing (and rewarding) to be on the other end of watching what overeating/certain foods can really do to you.  Not being that person felt really really nice.  I still had energy and did work around the house while he laid on the couch gripping his stomach.  

Thanks ladies for the advice regarding baking.  Most of what I do is almost always for others...birthday cakes or desserts for a party.  I don't often bake unless I have somewhere to bring it, lol.  But generally I am decorating cakes which turns into an outlet for a frosting binge.  I did make some blondie bars this weekend for a party and it wasn't too bad.  I made some homemade caramel and the smell of it was all too attractive.  I had to pretend it was a lab experiment or something non-food related if that makes any sense.  It's hard for me to work with any food and not taste it.  I had to remind myself what all that sugar would do to me.  The dessert made it to the party and by then I didn't want anything to do with it.  I was more interested in the delicious roast beef that was being sliced up.  I think moving forward I need to play around with more paleo-friendly desserts.  It definitely makes me rethink my passion for baking especially what I feed to my family and friends.  I always put more focus on what I eat but it's sad when you're giving all that sugar and trans fats to loved-ones.  

I have to say the one thing I never miss is cheese!  Yet it's one of the first things other people will blurt out (after bread of course) to me when I explain the challenge...you can't have cheese??  I don't usually cook with it aside from some parmesan regiono on top of dish.  For me, cheese is not the love loss.  

It sounds like everyone is working out the kinks but doing well!  Good luck to you all whether you're staying on for more time or reintroducing foods this week.  It's such a learning experience!   

Day 30!!!

I will say I won't be flashing the "I did Whole 30" badge around. I wasn't 100% Whole 30 this round (I was last time). I ended up having a slice of homemade zucchini bread last night (I'm eyeing time of the month hormones). Funny thing though is even with the cheats, I feel better coming out of this round of W30 than the time before. This time I plan on staying Whole 30 for breakfasts, lunches, and snacks and not being rigid with family dinners. I like the Tiger's Blood feeling I have and I really don't want it to go away. Except for oats (I love my steel cut oats in the morning), I really don't plan to bring back dairy, grains, or many beans into my diet on a regular basis. I was OK without them. 

So did I complete Whole 30 this round? Nope. But I feel better coming out of this round than I did my first Whole 30 when I was 100% on track. 

Well how did everyone do ?  :rolleyes: 

I am down another 5 lbs...... feeling better. So in total I am down 15 lbs back to my fighting weight as they say.

When menopause hit the weight went up and no matter what I tried I could not get it down.

And I felt awful.

I had never thought that this would work. I have never been on a 'diet', never had to but I did it and have learnt a great deal about eating and what food does to our bodies.

So the whole 30 has helped me shed those lbs that I gained during menopause (10 in May and 5 now).

And has made me feel better!

I will probably do 80-20 or at least try to keep doing that.

I will enjoy a glass of wine now and then, and a sweet snack but I will mostly try to stay 80% whole 30.

I enjoy eating this way because I am eating.....

I think I will attempt another Whole 30 mid Oct to Nov ... just before Christmas.

Hoping that everyone else has had uplifting results..... and it can be as simple as feeling better! ;) 

Hi everyone,

Here we are! 

Footy-chic, I think it's great that you feel better this time than last... means real long-term improvements and changes, and not short-term superficial ones.

Kate, we're certainly extending, but don't quite now if and how. I think the next 30 days will be Whole30 with a very gradual reintroduction, starting with the compliant foods which we chose to eliminate. So today, for example, we had some coconut milk which Fiorenzo has always had issues with. And then we want to try potatoes, and peppers. 

I added up the receipts.... oh my, we overblew our usual food expenditure this month! Eating this way certainly costs more than our old grains-and-legumes based diet. So we need to find ways of economising on cost but not on nutritional value.

But we're soooo happy!

Fiorenzo dropped from 75 to 69 kilos, which was his weight 10 years ago when he was at his best! And apart from that one night, no acid reflux pills.

I'm down 2 kilos but I don't know from where, as I really don't have any weight to lose. All of those sistemmic inflammation aches-and-pains  seem to have gone, I've way, way less congestion, the horizontal lines are disappearing from my nails, energy is great, and I'm hoping that healing is happening on deep levels.

What's more, we found it great for our relationship, a really good thing to do together, with all the curiosity, concern, compassion and care that has gone along with it.

So, yes, we're continuing because we want to stay feeling good and feel even better, and we will gradually move from Whole30 to the Paleo life.

Hope you all stick around on the Whole30 forum, and thanks for sharing this 30 day nutritional adventure. I've truly appreciated the support here on the forum.

Best,

Angelina

Hooray and congratulations. My second whole Whole30.

I was very strict this time and had hardly and fruit or nuts.  I took a few liberties at meals, but never really broke down.  Zero dairy, zero rice.  About 1 1/2 slices of bread in 30 days. No beer, but about 5-6 cocktails.  So many eggs, salad with grilled chicken and olive oil.

It looks like I am down 5-6 lbs.  I wish I weighed more carefully on Sept. 1.  I feel slimmed down, but want to keep going for the next month.... maybe I can get my abs to show a little more.  After my first w30 ended, I took a weekend off then extended by 15 days. The extra days were really effective.

Mostly, I have no crave for the old carby starches.  I could go on and on with the plan (but for all the pressure of not eating like everyone around.)

We have great will power. Never forget what you can accomplish...

Next stop Halloween!

I came in at a 6 pound loss for the program plus one inch lost on both my waist and my hips. I'm even wearing pants today that are normally too tight!!! I had oatmeal for breakfast with almond butter and chopped apple but I kind of missed my eggs for breakfast. Still planning on staying Whole 30 during my workday for breakfast and lunch and doing damage control at dinner. 

The Facebook group is still together but the name has changed. It is now called Whole30 - Challenge Yourself. Just request to join. Many are staying on whether doing the reintro or doing another Whole30 and we have picked up some new folks starting their Whole30 today.

Hi everyone!  I haven't really posted throughout but have been encouraged by most posts and by the FB chat.  I had thought I would need to do the AIP Whole 30 because I have colitis, etc., but after reading some feedback on these forums decided to try the regular Whole 30 for September.  I noticed some quick changes like sleeping better, bloating gone, less aches and pains, and could tell i was dropping weight.  But after 30 days I still am achy and have periods of pure exhaustion.  I still have congestion and coughing.  I did weigh and measure this morning, Day 31, and was shocked to find I'd lost 15 lbs and several inches! :-)  I really can't believe it.  

I was never tempted to snack or eat sweets.  But today I am!  There's a lot of it in my house for some reason but I am not taking a day off, except my husband's taking me out for dinner right now!  I did add some fruits into some meals but that's it.  I stuck to 3 meals a day.  I'd like to continue to lose weight and keep feeling improved health.  I think I really need to go AIP for October.  I'm kind of sick of eggs anyway for breakfast but the mayo recipe was a life saver as I made tuna and chicken salad and dressing with it.  What do I do now?!  

Thank you everybody for sharing your journeys.  It's been SO helpful.  I'd love any feedback if anyone is doing AIP.  

The Facebook group is still together but the name has changed. It is now called Whole30 - Challenge Yourself. Just request to join. Many are staying on whether doing the reintro or doing another Whole30 and we have picked up some new folks starting their Whole30 today.

Thank you! I don't know how I missed that!

Hi All,

I'm a lil late in my reply but happy to see a lot of posts from those who finished.  Congratulations to everyone.  It sounds like there were a lot of successful journeys.  I'm extending to 60 days so my journey isn't over yet.  But I did weigh in on the 1st just to take note.  Actually, I hadn't weighed myself before I started but I know where I generally fall on the scale so I took an estimate.  I'm guessing I lost at least 5 lbs.  I was happy about that but I really try not to put much focus on weight in general so it's just 'good to know'.  I certainly didn't have any weight-loss goal but I knew I would slim down in the process.  I'm more excited to report that I haven't experienced any bloating in the last week.  I still have a ways to go in addressing my behavior with food.  I was good most of the way but this past weekend I found myself snacking and letting emotions steer my food choices.  Definitely something to address in the coming weeks.  Meal planning and shopping has finally become an easier task then when I started.  That was a big goal of mine so that I could find a way to keep this going.  Angelina, I will agree that my grocery bills have been much higher the last few weeks...all these meats and veggies add up.  I'll be looking for ways to make this more economical so I can continue this lifestyle.  All good things ahead!  I'm looking forward to staying on track and making more progress.  We should all be very proud of ourselves.  This is a tough challenge in so many ways.  Good luck to everyone as they move forward in the reintroduction process.  Congrats again!

Archived