Starting on 1st September

Pedro Pinto

Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing your long-term story, Yellow Daisy.

Totally relating to the 'food-as-reward' comments, and the 'needing-an-outlet'. We're pretty much off coffee- though I'll accept one from my gorgeous mother-in-law downstairs if she offers... But we've basically just substituted with Chicory. Just after our meals, but it's still just hanging on to something.

I'm having weird food dreams - always sweet stuff.

We just poured all our balsamic vinegar down the drain - not because of the sulfites which we understand are natural, but because of the caramel colouring E150d. Does anyone know if that's allowed? I can't find anything about it on the forum.

We're feeling ok... our skin feels good, sort of moisturized from the inside, this is nice. I'm still just hoping that at some point my body is going to wake up and realize that it doesn't have to keep fighting against itself.

Best wishes,

A

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started Sept 2.  I completed a W30  (45, actually) about a year and a half ago, and began several in the meantime.   I haven't made it past day 14 or so in all my follow ups, though.

I have had 11 super clean days-- eggs, salad with steak or chicken, coconut oil sauteed veg, etc.  No fruit. No nuts. No sweet potatoes . But loads of coffee. And I haven't missed a work out.

I am worried that I have two fairly long bike rides scheduled tomorrow and Sunday, and I know I just don't have enough energy.  I'll try to complex carb up tonight and see how it goes. 

Good luck this weekend!

Day 15!!! Half way there folks!!!

I was trying to think of life past Whole 30 and how I would be able to make a balance between the non-Whole 30 foods and trying to stay on plan. I thought I would like to be able to have oatmeal at breakfast and a piece of toast but otherwise I could stay on track for lunch and dinner. I'm just getting tired of eggs for breakfast!

Then I went to play my second soccer game while on the plan (I play indoor co-ed soccer on Sundays) and by golly, my game was strong. Even with hardly any workouts since the plan started, you thought I never missed a workout. Dang, this eating healthy really works! This definitely gives me motivation to finish the 30 days strong. I'll just have to see how my game changes during the re-introduction phase. 

I wish I had found this forum from the beginning of my whole 30.  My name is Kim.  I lost 45 lbs on weight watchers (for the kazillionth time) before I discovered "It Starts With Food" and I knew after reading it and further researching it I was never going to go back to my blissful ignorance.  I started my 1st whole 30 Sept 1st scared to death.  My first week was really tough.  I did not realize how addicted I was to sugar until I gave it up.  It was easier to quit smoking.   Here I am day 15 and I feel great! I managed to get through a football party yesterday.  Even though my Hawks lost I didn't fall apart and start eating from the smorgasboard of wonderful foods from waffles to cheesburgers (huge party btw) and I didn't even crave these goodies including the homemade cinnamin rolls.  Alcohol is a big part of football Sunday.  I got through my day drinking club soda on ice with a twist of lime.  I didn't miss the alcohol and was able to play designated driver to my friends.  I really prepared myself for this challenge because when I started this I decided I wasn't going to give up my social life or my friends just because I'm changing my relationship with what I ingest into my body.  I know now I am committed to improving my health.  Can't wait to hear from everyone. 

Hi All,

Happy halfway!  Well, for most of us.  Not gonna lie that I am considering the option to extend this to 45 days.  I'm trying to stay in tune with myself and noticed a lot of things (aside from a well known sugar addiction) that I need to work on.  Feeling like I've only scratched the surface I'd like more time to mentally commit myself to it all.  More than anything it's a 'clearing of the schedule' for me so I can focus on simply making good meals for myself; exercising; and get plenty of rest.  I bought a huge bounty of veggies yesterday and prepped them for this week so I could step up my game as previously noted.

However, I did ditch a party yesterday because I didn't want to be surrounded by pizza and chips and didn't feel like I had the time.  I could spend a day just meal-planning; shopping; and prepping.  Kudos to you NEWKIME1 for getting out there and making it work for you...especially when your team lost.  You must have gone to bed last night feeling you succeeded.  In my case I didn't want my in-laws asking me over and over again "why" I'm doing this...I think you know who to be around and who to avoid during W30.  I am an introverted person so this really makes me wanna stay in the kitchen and stop socializing.  Funny you mention Weight Watches...my sister-in-law is a huge follower and would be the first to question everything I'm doing.  I am a big believer that if something works for you that is great - it's not my business.  While I don't agree with her food choices I would never challenge her.  Yet she would ask me 100 questions and then tell me I'm strange for bringing my own food to a party.  It's aggravating to say the least.  

I'm very grateful I can come here to be surrounded by like-minded people.  I also just subscribed to Balanced Bites podcast today.  What a great resource.  Might sound weird but I kinda considering it a non-food treat if that makes any sense.  Along with the digestive enzymes I finally purchased on day 12 I'm feeling pretty good.  Trying not to overdo it with workouts and reserving more time to get to bed earlier.  It all feels very nice.  Not sure if I'll wake up with Tiger Blood tomorrow but if I don't that's okay :)

Wow, it's been great reading your news over these last couple of days... sounds like there are so many great, postive changes happening... And hope that those of you who haven't logged on are still on track and keeping strong.

Footy Chic - is your Tiger Blood kicking in? We are also thinking about how we might go about Off-Roading after 30, but to be honest we're not that fussed - we're enjoying how we're eating, and will maintain most of these new habits. The reintroduction phase is going to be interesting, but we might also hang in there for a bit longer, if we feel that it's necessary to see results.

Newkime1 - good on you for making it through the party. I think I would have taken Kate's option and just skipped the event. Although I have, pre-Whole30 -  taken my own food to a Pizza Party because I was avoiding gluten. We're finding that everyone is very supportive, very curious, and a couple of people are thinking of giving it a go.

Yellow Daisy: grill the zucchinis so that they have toasted black lines on them, squeeze lemon juice over them while still warm (or vinegar if you're using it), olive oil and finely chopped mint. Yum. I also like zucchini with basil pesto.

Someone said Bored with Eggs... We're trying to get past the idea of 'Breakfast' and just think 'Meal 1'. So this morning it was left-over beef strips with vegetables. I actually really like fish for breakfast, that's been a surprise!

Day 15... I don't want to get too excited, but I woke up this morning with less pain than I've had for ages, and the day went well. I am so hoping that the Immune System Fire Brigade is starting to get the burning under control...

Onwards!

Looking for Zucchini Recipes for this home grown (not by me) vegetable. Has to be simple because I am not Betty Crocker

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Zucchini noodles are great and you don't need a spiralizer.  I sometimes use my vegetable peeler to make long strands to create a cold salad (think mediterranean; asian; mexican).  Or saute the noodles until tender and top with some tomato sauce (Raos is great and W30 approved) and meatballs.  I also love cream of zucchini soup (sub coconut milk); zucchini boats; or roasted with some other veggies in the oven.  Great to keep a container of cooked veggies on hand to just serve with a grilled meat.  Good luck and enjoy!

Angelina - It's amazing to think of how we can heal our bodies with food.  Hopefully you continue to wake up more and more pain-free.  Have to echo your note about breaking outta the "breakfast/lunch/dinner" standard.  I prefer leftovers in the morning.  As much as I love sugar I'm not drawn to it first thing so I'm not looking for mock oatmeal, cereal or pancakes.  I do get sick of the same ol' egg routine so I try reserving those for the weekend when I have the time to make nice omelets.  Otherwise, I would take some leftover pulled pork over a salad for my first meal of the day anytime.  Glad to hear you have such a supportive network around you.  I think if I were more direct about why I do what I do (or better yet what happens when I don't do it) some people would understand better.  But going back to food being thy medicine - it's crazy that your average person doesn't realize the impact their diet can have on their well being.  So many eat the same things day in and out and suffer the consequences without any consideration.  While I have fallen off track at times in my last two years...I'm not surprised at those being the times when I felt my worst inside and out.  I don't expect to be perfect all the time but I know I get back what I put into it.  Onward march indeed!

Kate, your sister n law sounds like she may be a bit intimidated by the whole 30.  Its a truly daunting challenge to give up sugar and only eat unprocessed whole foods.  Believe me I couldn't believe it when my adult daughter started the autoimmune diet (due to a severe ezcema breakout).  It was the first time in my life I correlated healing the body through food choices.  I told myself I don't have to do that because I already have boundless energy and I tolerate all foods well.   Of course I was in denial, 100lbs to lose is a physical issue due to a very unhealthy relationship with food (drug of choice).  Since last December I have been reading and doing so much research on gluten, paleo, etc.  Now I find myself cringing at food choices others make at times.  I feel bad for doing that but after the research I've done I can't see myself going back to eating foods that hurt me.  I do let others make their own choices and bite my lip.  I only share if someone asks.  I get the benefit of using my daughters success to use when I'm questioned (ezcema gone, smooth skin).  It helps when dealing with naysayers.  I'm so glad I found this forum.  It is so helpful to have likeminded people supporting each other.  Thank you,

Hi Everyone,

Well two weeks have just flown by.

This time around seems a little harder and a little easier if that makes sense.

I must say that I am feeling great again and have gotten back to a bit of my old self and routine.

Enjoying yoga again, I have tiger blood but this time I have been sooooooooooooooooo busy that I am not taking full benefit of it or maybe it is just that I have it and I am doing alot more.

I am lucky not to have many physical ailments and am at a healthy weight. I have not weighed myself but this time around I know that I have lost a few already, last time I felt bloated for most of the 30 days and did not think I had lost any.

I know that there are sometimes that I am not hungry at all, what do others do? Do they force themselves to eat?

Other than that I keep my meals really simple.

It is great to read everyone else's posts! :)

Day 16 of Whole 30 is going...well...calm.

I had a breakfast of one Adelle's sausage (didn't finish it though), a mushroom and egg scramble (topped with Frank's Red Hot Sauce), 1/2 a banana, and 1/4 avocado. I had this at 7:30 am.

I really had no hunger or desire to snack till about 11. I made it till 11:45 when I had my lunch of seasoned ground turkey, red peppers, carrots, and mushrooms topped with half an avocado.

Still have no desire to snack at almost 2:00. I do have some fresh mango and cashews if I get hungry. The key word is "if".

I'm in this odd calmness. No food cravings, no over-the-top hunger. I even did a morning yoga dvd and I'm not exhausted. 

Is this the tiger's blood portion of Whole 30 they talk about? I don't feel full of energy yet but I feel pretty calm about the next 14 days.

Donna R & Footy-Chic about hunger.

I'm loving the freedom from hunger and constant parade of junk food marching through my head!

However, I find having a good portion of protein, fat & 2 cups of veggies keeps me full much longer than 4-5 hours.

I have missed a few Meal # 2s by having a late breakfast & early dinner.

While I'm actually getting to the point that I'm hungry when I get up, I didn't breakfast before the Whole 30.  I've tried scaling down the size of my meals so I can actually WANT to eat them.  This is so new and odd but all in a good way!

I always thought it was best to ONLY eat if you are truly hungry...and I would put off eating until I couldn't wait any longer. This could make my first meal of the day at 4:00 PM.  Eating 3 meals at "normal" times on a regular basis was an alien notion.   I set a timer to remind myself to eat within an hour of rising and then 4-5.5 hours later and 4-5.5 hours later after Meal 2.  I still have to do this.  What a happy problem that is ;)

In addition to everything Whole30 I've read, this article helped knock me in the head.  By NOT being "HUNGRY!" at meal times, I can use my brain to make good choices, eat slower and don't feel required to finish everything.  WIN WIN WIN

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2012/07/25/worst-diet-advice-only-eat-when-hungry

Hi All,

Hope day 16 was a good one.  No tiger blood here but I was anxious and almost 'on edge' at times today.  Think pms symptoms might just be kicked up a notch.  I was also a lil shaky in my kickboxing class tonight.  I'm going to go easy and skip the workout tomorrow.  While I feel satisfied by what/how I'm eating I still realize my body is adjusting and needs a lil more care sometimes.  I am looking forward to yoga later this week.  Footy-Chic, I know what you mean about feeling really calm.  I've gotten in that kind of trance-like state before.  I think all of us respond so differently that this could be your version of tiger blood :)  It's interesting to wait and see what each new day will bring.  I wish I kept a detailed journal for myself of what I've been eating every day and how I was feeling.  Not that it's not too late now...I thought about this days ago, lol.  Newkime1 - Thanks for sharing some of your background...it helped me remember that not everyone looks at this the same way.  We all have different perspectives which can change over time.  It sounds like your daughter's journey really opened up a new opportunity for you as well.  Good for you in doing all that research so you could make your own changes.  Food is my drug of choice thru and thru so I hear you there.  Always good to know we're not alone.  Nowiswhen - thanks for the link...interesting article that makes a lot sense.  You don't wanna see me hungry inside a grocery store!  I know I've never felt hungry during W30 which is usually the first thing I tell someone who is asking me about it.  You really can't say that about a lot of 'diets' out there.  I love not measuring or counting calories.  I even forgot to weight myself before I started...probably because my scale needs a new battery.  Ha!  Good luck on the rest of your day everyone!

Another good day-- its #16.  It is great to see everyone sticking with it.  I am in a groove-- it is only social events and weekends that take much will power at this point.  Clothes feel great now, too.

Not weighing also takes will power!

Hi everyone, 

Kate - I'm about to make your steamed zucchini strands for lunch. I'm going to mix through with Basil Pesto and top with little meatballs. Thanks for the suggestion! People around us are certainly curious about this Whole30 thing... I think because we are speaking so positively about what is happening for us, but also because people can just see with their own eyes - moving more easily, feeling stronger, glowing skin, and Fiorenzo is looking really good. Hasn't had his pill since Sunday, woohoo!

The only resistance I've come across is from those who are in the 'medical industry'... but even here, maybe curiosity will slowly melt the cynicism. One can be hopeful!

Donna R, Footy-Chic, Nowiswhen, and everyone commenting about the hunger thing - my problem before the Whole30 was that I was always hungry. I was 'healthy' - vegetarian based diet with a good rotation of wholegrains - but starving every 2 hours. I'm sure that the only reason I'm not overweight is because I didn't give in to those pangs - I knew something was not right - Fiorenzo is much bigger than I am, we'd eat exactly the same portions, and he'd still be going strong when I'd be ravenous. I now suspect that this was all about the hormones and signals being way, way confused by the carbohydrate waves (even if they were 'healthy' carbohydrates, they were still broken down to glucose), and the lack of dense nutrients. I was also not eating before teaching my evening classes so as to have an empty stomach, and coming home to eat dinner before going to bed. If I was still hungry after a huge salad, I'd finish with one or two bowls of (vitamin enriched) cornflakes with soy milk. Oh, how I had it wrong!

So the Whole30 has competely changed things for me. I'm now eating before class: protein, veg and fat - and telling my students to do the same. Best thing is. I'm not ravenous when I get home, and can go to bed without eating. 

If I'm not hungry at breakfast, I make sure I eat the full meal anyway. I'm convinced this is the best way to get those hormones realigned. Same for Fiorenzo. He's never been hungry at breakfast, and at the beginning needed to really make himself eat. But now, I doubt we'll ever revert back to our way-too-light breakfast.

Oh, Kate - I started a journal before the Whole 30, and fully recommend it. I'm taking a photo of all my meals, that helps me remember if I don't get a chance to write it down straight away. My journal is: Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner, Practice, and Inflammation. At the end of 7 days on the Whole30 we fill out a progress sheet. It's great to maintain the commitment, and very interesting... All the photos are on my Facebook if anyone is interested. Hang on, I'll see if I can post a link: https://www.facebook.com/angelinabrazzale/photos_albums

Here's holding up a big glass of sparkling water with mint, lemon and lime to us on Day18! Cin cin!

A

Good morning all,

Facing day 18 and feeling strong.  I never thought I would want to continue after my whole 30 but as of now I'm in for a real life change.  Angelina, I totally understand the "medical industry".  I'm a cardiac sonographer and work for 15 cardiologists.  I'm lucky they are a wonderful group of people to work for.  They do have a hard time arguing the downside of no sugar, unprocessed and whole food, and getting my carbs from a variety of fruits and vegies.  The last 2 days so many people have been complimenting me on how good I look.  People keep asking me about this "whole 30 thing" and I am more than happy to share.  My boyfriend told me last night that i just look so much healthier.  I believe that is a good indicater I'm on the right path.  Hope everyone is doing fantastic today.  I love reading about everyones experiences. :D

Yesterday I had a slice of bread with butter. Yup, made it to day 18 before I caved. I took two days off to work on the in-law's beach home remodel and at the end of day two, I was exhausted, hungry, and wanting something carby. I managed to stay on plan for 2 days on the road which I'm proud of but I cheated on a piece of sourdough bread and butter. The interesting thing was after about 6 bites, the bread wasn't worth it and I put the rest on the plate and didn't want any more. 

I'll still continue the plan to day 30 but I know it wasn't a clean run. Just surprised that I was really wanting the bread but it didn't taste how I thought it would be. I also said "no thanks" to a ton of other goodies. Maybe my willpower was shot? I still think I learned a lot on this round of Whole 30 though.

Don't be demoralised, Footy-Chic - the program is sooo challenging, on so many different levels. Yesterday after dinner my old mucous congestion was back. Why? I thought, what have I eaten wrong? I'd added some pickle cucumbers which I'd bought to make Tartare Sauce, and when I double-checked the label I saw that there was 'anidride solforoso come residuo' that is, sulfur dioxide as a residue. I'm in the middle of another inflammation wave, and I've had confusion over the 'natural vinegar sulfites ok but added sulfites not ok, sodium phosphates etc etc... maybe I was just too exhausted to translate the label correctly, certainly I didn't have the energy to look the damn thing up on Google or the forum. Hence the congestion. But worse... Beating myself up over whether I'd blown the whole program on day 19 by mistakenly consuming an off-limits food. After the first week I stopped buying what I thought was an innocent dried meat, because I asked the ingredients, and yes... conservatives with numbers. For that, we thought we'd just go for an extra week. 

I think the 'rules' are really important. One needs structure, and yes, as Melissa and Dallas say, it eleviates the stress of having to decide. But I realised at a certain point last night as I was tossing and turning in bed that I was entering into a 'punishment' mentality with regards to a very simple and innocent mistake. In the early hours I had another cake-eating-guilt-inducing dream! But I don't want to feel like I've 'failed' my Whole30 because of accidently eating non-conforming pickle, nor that I have to start again from scratch.

What we do know is that it won't be over for us on the 30th of September. We'll keep going, because despite this new round of inflammation, we are noticing so many positive changes, and we are regarding this as an education. And as with learning anything new, one is bound to make mistakes along the way. As Fiorezno says, 'If you do, you make mistakes. If you don't do anything, you don't make mistakes.'

What's significant is that you didn't want to even finish the bread. What's important is that I was able to pinpoint the cause of the mucuous. And I think what's important is the commitment to see it through to the end, and try not to buy too much into the punishment and reward mental scheme.

The Sugar Dragon returned in full force.  I did nothing to invite him but for the last 4-5 days I've been fighting back the wrong way with lots of fruit, especially at night...and nuts to go with it.  Night eating is what helped me get unhealthy and fat.  Then I'm not hungry in the morning and if I put off breakfast, lunch disappears from the schedule.  But dinner doesn't stop the evening cravings because I haven't eaten enough.  I'm getting off this vicious cycle today.  Wish me luck and feel free to ask how I'm doing with it.  I can use some accountability here ;)

Good luck Nowiswhen! Be strong, you can do it! Just try and get your meals back on schedule, if not for hunger itself, then for the hormonal cycle. Maybe when you get those cravings try drinking a big cup of herbal tea to take your mind off it. And try sitting comfortably and just concentrating on your breathing: the length of the inhale, the length of the exhale, the sound, the quality. And then slowly start to increase the length of the exhale..... This does wonders to reduce stress, which will also affect the cortisol levels...

Have compassion for yourself, but be strong and disciplined at the same time.

You can do it!

Archived